Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
On another note, I've been noticing little tags related to Project Odin in their weblog posts.

Little gags. I thought I might discover some spoilers.

quote:

February 29
-Odin is not a Bioshock hacking minigame
-Odin is not a match-three game

March 5
-Odin is not a series of tubes

July 5
-odin is a game about industrial accidents waiting to happen
-odin is not a game about the subtle joys of art conservatorship

July 13
-Project Odin is not a home brewing project gone terribly wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Met posted:

I've yet to find where it stores the foreboding scribblings. Still working on it. Those might be randomly placed, but I don't know anything about modding or how the game works.

They are stored, encrypted, in the exe itself.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I kind of wish there were diggles for half the skill trees that each had little abilities from them. Psychic Friend diggles who have the Radiant Aura buff, Marxist Diggles that slap you with communism debuffs, Were-human diggles that polymorph themselves. The vast majority of the current diggles are already linkable to a skill tree, why not go whole palette-swapped hog?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mad Fnorder posted:

I kind of wish there were diggles for half the skill trees that each had little abilities from them. Psychic Friend diggles who have the Radiant Aura buff, Marxist Diggles that slap you with communism debuffs, Were-human diggles that polymorph themselves. The vast majority of the current diggles are already linkable to a skill tree, why not go whole palette-swapped hog?

I think the diggles are already pretty hideously overdone--they were an okay stopgap to help flesh out later floors before, but Wizardlands adds enough enemies that they're just obnoxious.

Were-humans would be pretty hilarious, though.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Mad Fnorder posted:

The unique Siegfried is already implied to be a werediggle, incidentally, so that one is sort of covered.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Markovnikov posted:

This reminds me of the Diggle God statues. Can we have a MechaDiggle monster now please? I'm surprised it's not already in!

Daynab/Nvining, make this happen! Also still waiting for the patch so I can play again, I really hope it will drop some time this week.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think the diggles are already pretty hideously overdone--they were an okay stopgap to help flesh out later floors before, but Wizardlands adds enough enemies that they're just obnoxious.

Were-humans would be pretty hilarious, though.

A were-human is literally a "man-human." But maybe that's :thejoke:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got through Floor 2 (that didn't have a single Inconsequentia Shrine, shop, or Lutefisk statue :geno:) with my Daggers/Crossbow/Piracy/Burglary/Rogue Scientist/Communist/Tinkering build. Super-strong (especially since I've been putting all my level ups into Daggers- Devouring Wound kicks rear end but Thaumites terrify me) but also super-weak due to pretty low max health. I nearly got killed by a unique Swarmy at the start of Floor 3 and have been having trouble with the Unfriendly A.I. monsters there as well, so hopefully I can find some better gear soon.

What do you think I should take next now that I've maxed out Daggers? I have a point in Communist and a point in Tinkering and...that's it. Maybe Crossbow?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

delta534 posted:

That's disappointing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

C-Euro posted:

Got through Floor 2 (that didn't have a single Inconsequentia Shrine, shop, or Lutefisk statue :geno:) with my Daggers/Crossbow/Piracy/Burglary/Rogue Scientist/Communist/Tinkering build. Super-strong (especially since I've been putting all my level ups into Daggers- Devouring Wound kicks rear end but Thaumites terrify me) but also super-weak due to pretty low max health. I nearly got killed by a unique Swarmy at the start of Floor 3 and have been having trouble with the Unfriendly A.I. monsters there as well, so hopefully I can find some better gear soon.

What do you think I should take next now that I've maxed out Daggers? I have a point in Communist and a point in Tinkering and...that's it. Maybe Crossbow?

Alchemical Toxin Canister is fantastic, as are both Barometric Pulse Devices; it can't hurt to level up RS some. Communism's kind of like Demonology in that you want it mostly for the initial skill, so you can put that off nigh-indefinitely; Burglary gives you items and a controlled teleport, so it's not bad either. You'll probably get more bolts out of higher levels of Tinkering than you would from the increased recovery rates from Archery, so you can put that skill off quite a while; it's mostly just extra stats at the end.

(Short form: Focus on Burglary/RS/Tinkering, avoid Archery/Piracy/Communist.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Alchemical Toxin Canister is fantastic, as are both Barometric Pulse Devices; it can't hurt to level up RS some. Communism's kind of like Demonology in that you want it mostly for the initial skill, so you can put that off nigh-indefinitely; Burglary gives you items and a controlled teleport, so it's not bad either. You'll probably get more bolts out of higher levels of Tinkering than you would from the increased recovery rates from Archery, so you can put that skill off quite a while; it's mostly just extra stats at the end.

(Short form: Focus on Burglary/RS/Tinkering, avoid Archery/Piracy/Communist.)

What? Communism is pretty boss, beelining Iron Curtain is great. Especially if you have survivability issues. Only caveat is that I haven't really found much use for Dialectical Materialism or Vanguard Party, the debuffs hurt too much.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gabriel Pope posted:

What? Communism is pretty boss, beelining Iron Curtain is great. Especially if you have survivability issues. Only caveat is that I haven't really found much use for Dialectical Materialism or Vanguard Party, the debuffs hurt too much.

Weren't there comments earlier in the thread that General Winter got pretty self-detrimental? I'll admit that Iron Curtain is great, but it seems like a lot of wading through mediocrity for one gem.

(I also admit I haven't experimented with it too much myself; I blame this solely on Steam cheevos not working because I'm afraid to explore a skillset until I can get a cheevo for mastering it)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Weren't there comments earlier in the thread that General Winter got pretty self-detrimental? I'll admit that Iron Curtain is great, but it seems like a lot of wading through mediocrity for one gem.

(I also admit I haven't experimented with it too much myself; I blame this solely on Steam cheevos not working because I'm afraid to explore a skillset until I can get a cheevo for mastering it)

It can be a problem, but it's easy to work around and is well worth the hassle (it's essentially mini-Hierophant Mittens, which you eventually should be wearing anyway and will remove any risk of hurting yourself with your own cold damage.) Just taking Communism up to Iron Curtain gives you enough hyperborean resistance to absorb the General Winter AoE; it does scale up, but by the time that becomes a concern you should have resistance from other sources anyhow. Even in the worst case scenario it should never really become more than a minor inconvenience, since you get a free hat that will keep you safe.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

General Winter is not bad if you have enough hyperborean resistance, it is just not spectacular. It is bad if you don't have enough.

sammage
Apr 12, 2008
Playing the final hotfix today, I've found that encrusting is now a lot more transparent in what it does, and that you really REALLY shouldn't dangerously encrust things any more :D Whenever you go over a threshhold it not only tells you, but tells you what effect is being added to the item. And there are also many many more effects that can happen. I encrusted my gear to the max, figuring 'what's the worst that could happen?'. I died after being hit three consecutive times, putting enough debuffs on me to drop my maximum health to 0. I'm thinking it would still be pretty sexy if you took veganism and magical law though! If you could dump the debuffs at any time, the benefits might be worth it.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

I havent played for more than a minute or two since the game was released, and I have a friend who is betting me the new DLC that I cant beat the game. Whats a good build that I can beat the game easily with for now?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HyperHopper posted:

I havent played for more than a minute or two since the game was released, and I have a friend who is betting me the new DLC that I cant beat the game. Whats a good build that I can beat the game easily with for now?

There's really no "easy" way to do it; Egyptian Magic is currently powerful enough to clear monster zoos with ease, but is getting nerfed as soon as the next patch hits, which should be any day now.

It's a roguelike through and through, and while some skillsets are better than others (Smithing/Tinkering/Clockwork Knight/Master of Arms/Weapon/Dual Wield or Shield-Bearer seems to be a pretty good crafting-based build) you still need to be aware of your surroundings and not do anything inherently risky like jumping into blue portals or going to Diggle Hell.

That said, you can toggle Permadeath off, so if his terms are just "beat the game", then you could pretty easily pull off a clear on the easiest difficulty without Permadeath, but that makes you a bit of a wuss. :v:

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

KataraniSword posted:

There's really no "easy" way to do it; Egyptian Magic is currently powerful enough to clear monster zoos with ease, but is getting nerfed as soon as the next patch hits, which should be any day now.

Do not have the latest DLC, that is what the bet is for

KataraniSword posted:

That said, you can toggle Permadeath off, so if his terms are just "beat the game", then you could pretty easily pull off a clear on the easiest difficulty without Permadeath, but that makes you a bit of a wuss. :v:

not that much of a wuss.

Ive played dredmor before early on and got decently far, never beat it though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HyperHopper posted:

Do not have the latest DLC, that is what the bet is for

Then you might want to go with the melee crafter build I listed; Clockwork Knight is available as part of the free DLC, and is pretty good for a core skillset to build around.

As far as weapon choice, it doesn't matter quite as much, though Axes and Maces both have good endgame choices, and Swords offer good counter chance if you go with Dual-Wield instead of Shield Bearer.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
So my girlfriend made me a plush diggle as a present. I've affectionately named him Diggalor the Terror of Canadians and, since the girlfriend and I are both huge nerds, we've been taking photos of Diggalor in various silly places. I hope no-one minds if I share a bit of cuteness!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

HyperHopper posted:

If you want to go melee, then Swords/Duel Wield/Berserk/Assassination/Master of Arms/Burglary/Archelogy is a solid build.

Put your first point into Arch for It Belongs in a Museum, which exchanges artifacts for experience points. This will help you level much faster.

Then max out Burglary, the extra skills will save you money on items, plus there's a line of sight teleport skill which is really useful.

Then start working on the others as you wish.

If you get some lucky artifact drops, you can reach level 5 or 6 before the end of the first floor.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

quote:

Diggle Pics

Poliwhirl, what happened!!

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Looks like some people are finding about what's at the end of the Ominous Timer... a little earlier than planned. And they say print media's dead.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

AbDomen posted:

So my girlfriend made me a plush diggle as a present. I've affectionately named him Diggalor the Terror of Canadians and, since the girlfriend and I are both huge nerds, we've been taking photos of Diggalor in various silly places. I hope no-one minds if I share a bit of cuteness!

That's awesome, I love it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
gently caress I'm going on an infinite stairs glitch again. I can't go to the next level.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Benny the Snake posted:

gently caress I'm going on an infinite stairs glitch again. I can't go to the next level.

... are you running the hotfix?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

delta534 posted:

Met posted:

That's disappointing.

Are you sure you are not confusing them with the previously encrypted messages in the hotfixes? Everyone seems to be making that mistake. Or maybe I am the one who is wrong...

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Odd... I just fought Vlad Digula twice in the same Diggle Hell. Killed him both times with Clockwork Sawblades. :smug:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Supposedly there was a patch today or something. Where would I go to find information about patch notes or scheduled patches in the future?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/

It says the patch should be out on steam tomorrow morning

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Huh. I thought the Ominous Countdown was the 1.1.2 patch.

My uneducated guess is something Odin related.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Met posted:

Huh. I thought the Ominous Countdown was the 1.1.2 patch.

My uneducated guess is something Odin related.

All signs point to that, yeah. Also, someone over at the Gaslamp forums found all the Foreboding Grafitti and completed them (or decrypted them? I think they really were in the exe's all along? I don't even know, so many secrets going around). Seems like pickling is indeed a thing in the Odin universe.

Project Odin is the first game I've been all giddy about in a while. Maybe it's the (well kept) mystery surrounding it, the image I've been forming in my head from all the revealed tidbits, or just wanting to see what comes from the minds of the DoD guys :allears:

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
Welp, apparently if you kill a Rutabega mid-charge, it freezes the game. I was able to kill the process and reload my autosave, though.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

nvining posted:

... are you running the hotfix?
I checked but it sez no steam support.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Markovnikov posted:

All signs point to that, yeah. Also, someone over at the Gaslamp forums found all the Foreboding Grafitti and completed them (or decrypted them? I think they really were in the exe's all along? I don't even know, so many secrets going around). Seems like pickling is indeed a thing in the Odin universe.

The exe contained a bunch of encrypted text that may or may not be the graffiti (I haven't compared them.) However, some of the graffiti is encrypted when displayed in-game and some is just missing characters. Unless the game reverses the Vignere cipher for random texts displayed that means there must be other ones in there.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Gromit posted:

The exe contained a bunch of encrypted text that may or may not be the graffiti (I haven't compared them.) However, some of the graffiti is encrypted when displayed in-game and some is just missing characters. Unless the game reverses the Vignere cipher for random texts displayed that means there must be other ones in there.

It looks like the game reverses the cipher and then replaces random symbols with _ for the foreboding scribble.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay, I downloaded the hotfix here. The post says clearly that there's no Steam support and I'm playing this game thru Steam.

When I extract the files I open the Dungeons of Dredmor application and then I get a system error saying this:

Dungeons of Dredmor.exe posted:

The program can't start because SDL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Whenever I try to go to the pocket dimension, the game crashes now. Should I just reinstall the game already?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, I downloaded the hotfix here. The post says clearly that there's no Steam support and I'm playing this game thru Steam.

When I extract the files I open the Dungeons of Dredmor application and then I get a system error saying this:
Whenever I try to go to the pocket dimension, the game crashes now. Should I just reinstall the game already?

You have to overwrite the current files in the steam game folder.
If you did, then I'm not sure what went wrong but try verifying game file integrity, and reapply the patch.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Daynab posted:

You have to overwrite the current files in the steam game folder.
If you did, then I'm not sure what went wrong but try verifying game file integrity, and reapply the patch.
Yeah I just went and uninstalled the drat thing. Reinstalling now. Hope this works.

EDIT: Reinstalled game. Open game. Try to get into pocket dimension. Crash. Verify integrity of game. Game integrity verified a-okay. Try to run hotfix. Error message reappears. gently caress this game.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Markovnikov posted:

All signs point to that, yeah. Also, someone over at the Gaslamp forums found all the Foreboding Grafitti and completed them (or decrypted them?

That makes me giddy if they are an Odin Sneak Peak. :allears:

• Locked thread