Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

"The entire Mustache Fighting League comes to punish you for stealing their most holy treasure!"

Cue about 30 Mustache Fighting League Champions spawning all around me. Good show, Gaslamp, you got me.

Well, you made me laugh at least. They all died like chumps because Mustaches are a weak and pitiful foe, but it's amusing anyways! Also, please stop giving me Bolt Eruptors. One room literally had FOUR of them in it.

What was the treasure, a Champion Belt? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Steppin_Razor posted:

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot later. For now, I'm going with Unarmed, Artful Dodging, Burglary, Assassination, Smithing, Tinkering and Clockwork Knight. I'm currently level 4 and still on the first floor and I just found The Crownstar Addendum in a fountain I drank from.

The Clockwork Knight trifecta seems like it'd be a bad fit for Artful Dodger, since a lot of the smithing/tinkering stuff is heavier armor that nerfs your dodge rate.

Then again, I've never beaten a permadeath run, so what do I know. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Daynab posted:

If you steal an item from Brax, you have to drop it outside the next shops, or he will recognize it and attack you.

Oh, is this how it works?

Well. That explains why I was attacked out of nowhere on my Burglary run. I thought it was because of bugs with Five-Fingered Discount and Vending Looter. :downs:

Now that explains why things happened how they did and I had to attack all Braxes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deki posted:

Do most of the mods on the steam workshop require Realm of the diggle gods? Most of them cause me to crash on character creation.

A fair number of them do. I know for a fact Roguish Renovation and Interior Dredmorating do; many of the skillset mods require art assets (be it for monsters or skill icons) that were only added in the expansion.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Move In Mysterious Ways (the top tier Burglary skill) is a directed teleport, too, but it's got a pretty hefty cooldown for what it is. I don't know if Xeuclid can let you teleport into areas you can't immediately see, but if it can, it's already superior even ignoring MP-versus-cooldown, as Mysterious Ways only lets you teleport within your sight radius.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

A lot easier to unlock with Permadeath off; then you can do something stupid like run Necronomiconomics and run yourself to 1 or 2 HP, save, and kick a door. If it doesn't work, run yourself through with a Diggle and reload.

I have yet to do the same thing with the Boil Water Advisory, though; it's the single "die for this cheevo" achievement I've yet to manage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GodspeedSphere posted:

From the previous thread, I recommended the solution of using the skill that summons a fan to whittle down your HP. I used it to get perilous podiatry on my 2nd attempt. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with that. Summon and walk on the fans until you are low health, then eat fountains.

Fun fact: Dying due to Lingering Weakness debuff taking away your last remaining HP does not trigger the achievement. :downs: Sadly, fountains are pretty rare so it takes a bit of gaming to get one to spawn.

EDIT: Neither does dying due to Unpleasant Poison. :arghfist::saddowns: Apparently you seriously have to get the Acid Burn effect.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 26, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

What makes people want to suicide to a door?

People will do a lot of stupid poo poo if it means getting a cheevo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rydash posted:

And this is precisely why I want this game to get a "Take No Damage At All And Win" one.

Would that even be possible?

Also, echoing the above post:

loving finally.

Kind of cute that it has its own epitaph too: "Killed by ignoring the boil water advisory". Explains the cheevo name, at least.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 26, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm working on "I didn't ask for this" by doing a clockwork run. I've got the arms and the bolt gun, but I'm still trying to find the plans for the axes. Is there a way to see the stats on something before you make it?

I thought I just did the Doom one wearing the green armour and the right helmet but it's not showing up. Do I have to wait until that game actually finishes?

Nope, you just have to have them equipped. Green Armor and Rusty Helmet for Realms of the Id. Are you sure you don't already have the achievement?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

e: also why doesn't "last" ever work? It always loads some random build from a year ago.

Rydash posted:

My first instinct on this is to blame the Steam Cloud - that bit of the preferences doesn't seem to sync properly, from what I can remember.

Ever since YHTNTEP, Steam's Cloud seems to just be completely deleting last.txt, meaning whenever I click 'last' right after starting up the game, it gives me the first six skills. :sigh:

I suppose this might be a workaround to try to weed out the people still going for the Deadshot achievement.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do you really need two of those arms to get double the chance or even activate? That almost never proc'd and I had one such arm and Krong-it ring.

Clockwork Threshing procs at 5% for the Clockwork Knight skill, and the Clockwork Ravager axe adds an additional 15% proc per axe even without the skill. Of course, finding a Ravager is an insane task and building one involves max-level Tinkering and two Clockwork Chain-Axes PLUS the recipe for the Ravager, soooo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shadowmorn posted:

Okay, okay, you guys have sold me. Whats a strong Clockwork knight build? I Just threw one together and the skills in clockwork DO sound tons of fun. :3:

Axes, Duel Weilding, Master of Arms, Viking Wizardry, Smithing, Tinkering and Clockwork Knight.

Axes/Dual Wield/Tinkering/Smithing are pretty much perfect kit, if for no other reason than the potential of 2x Ravager death by endgame. The other two slots are pretty lenient, but you have to realize that the five 'set' skills there are Warrior skills, so you're going to go through the game with a lot of HP and not much MP at all, so magic-heavy trees might be a bad idea. Master of Arms is a good choice (since Clockwork Knight works well with a high block/low dodge setup), and then another skill for utility.

Viking Wizardry was a pretty solid choice, but you mightwill end up having MP problems; I myself would favor either Assassination or Battle Geology for passives.

tl;dr your build looks just fine, though you won't be able to keep those Viking buffs up forever.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So I'm playing on the character gunning for the I Can't Believe That Worked cheevo (Random build, in other words) and I'm just cutting my way through level 11's monster zoo (whoever recommended the Mittens of the Hyborean Heirophant? You're awesome, they're awesome) and what do I get for coming out the other side?

:what:

I mean, at this point I'm pretty set on equipment, but still. If I was struggling at this point, there may have been tables flipped.

EDIT: That said, I'm sure that my horse (waiting outside the dungeon, of course) will be quite happy that it no longer has to deal with the crushing existential angst of being a beast of burden.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 27, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr_Amazing posted:

edit: So is horse armor worn as armor, or in a ring slot or what? Is the joke that it's useless like that DLC?

It takes up your "sleeve" slot. The same useless, nonexistant sleeve slot as the Wizard's Sleeve. You can right-click it to equip it, but it grants none of the bonuses it shows.

And yes, the joke is that it's useless. And sells for about 15000.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cicadalek posted:

My Krong strategy is to use weapons on it all the time, so I can get the sweet added effects. So what if this sword makes me almost blind and extrememly vulnerable to slashing, it spreads thaumites everywhere, look

There's potential flaws with that. I Kronged up a Doul's Possible Sword that gave it "strikes enemies with bolts of lightning"... and for some reason (maybe because I kronged afterwards?) it has a chance of spawning multiple bolts per attack. This doesn't sound bad at first, except it lags combat even further, and guess what? If both bolts proc and I've got the framerate up (for example, to try to run through earlier floors to look at shops) then the game invariably freezes.

(Also, if/when I do an Unarmed run, I will forever keep a copy of Bee Culture on hand. Thaumites :allears:)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FrickenMoron posted:

It turns down the damage enemies do mostly.

It also drastically increases the amount of EXP you get from disarming traps; on L1, I was getting 20 XP from disarming traps that normally get me 4-6.

Also, NTTG is a mixed bag. On one hand, the full-size levels are HUGE and tedium will set in eventually. On the other, the loot on No Time To Grind runs off the exact same algorithms, meaning while the EXP is scaled to fit the smaller levels, you'll traditionally end up completely underequipped, and gear is far more important in the game than levels.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 28, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

aslkdj
Someone needs to tell me how to unstack items right now. I did NOT just burn through all my steel to make one fine steel axe (2).
I want one in each hand. Not one stack of two. How do I do this please?

e: oh okay no need to link me to hey let me google that for you dot com I got it. Sorry. Honestly I expected the answer to be "you can't"

It's worth replying anyway since it's apparently really unintuitive or people just don't think about it, since you're far from the first person to ask:

ALT + LEFT CLICK BREAKS APART STACKS OF ITEM.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

I can make either Magnetronic Plate Armour or imperial clockwork plate and I can't find their stats anywhere online. I guess I'll flip a coin and wonder what might have been...

Dredmorpedia has pretty much everything you might need as far as raw stats. You're not gonna find things like strategy there, but it'll tell you everything you need as far as mid-game details.

Granted, it only includes the stuff officially in the game; stuff added via mods is a mystery. (Mod Warning: Temporal Pike, from the Roguish Renovation mod, is basically a beefed up Root of T'Char - sure, it heals as much as a Deep Omelet, but surviving multiple paradox bursts is not exactly a good "healing" method)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 28, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

Thanks! I know using necromancy fucks you up some but I don't know what a paradox burst is, is that mod specific?

Nono. A paradox explosion is what happens when you put a Lutefisk Cube in another Lutefisk Cube. Sometimes the Root of T'Char can replicate it.

It hurts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cicadalek posted:

Well I guess the game overheard me talking about how boring monster zoos are for melee characters

Look at the bright side! By Floor 13, you're decidedly past Blobs of Corruption and other things that can screw up a melee's gear in a zoo!

instead you get to deal with death-ray diggles and thaumite-spawning ghosts :suicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Either a teleporting ability of some sort, or a knockback ability that you can target the floor with. Both Demonology's initial skill (Turn Demon) and Clockwork Knight's second skill (Rocket Punch) do the knockback job admirably.

e:f;b

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pladdicus posted:

On a curious note, what is your guys preferred build and what have you actually beaten the game with (if you have)

Never beaten it on Permadeath, but I cleared it once on Elvishly Easy with Maces/Throwing/Smithing/Artful Dodger/Archaeology/Burglary/Big Game Hunter. Granted, however, that was with More Dred and Roguish Renovation, so I had things like new-cue-lur Footballs (I think those are a More Dred item - they're basically BMDs in throwing form) and a fair chunk of healing items to gulp down. Also, thanks to Archaeology and Big Game Hunter, I was sitting on something like seven levels above maxing out my skills.

Even then, there is an utter lack of decent endgame maces; it seems like Axes (and to a MUCH lesser degree, Swords) get all the weaponlove.

Current run, trying for the Random Skill cheevo, mostly unmodded (I have the phoneme and taunt mods, plus Interior Dredmorating) and sitting on L13, is Swords/Shields/Assassination/Smithing/Berserker/Mathemagic/Demonology. (In other words, I got REALLY lucky with the skill roller.) It's going much less slog-like than the other, and I can reliably wade into monster zoos and clear them out without falling over. (Having a Mirror Shield really really helps.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite reference is probably "the blue thunder of furinkan high" because that might just be one of the last things I ever expected to show up in a game, let alone this one. Truly, not sticking to references to current things.

If it's gotta be an item though, probably the Mace of Windu. Clevur.

I dunno if it's Dredmorating-specific or if it's in YHTNTEP too, but I've certainly seen a Jusenkyo-themed room as well with bamboo stalks and a pool of water that turns you into a diggle.

So, yes, someone here obviously watched Ranma 1/2.

EDIT: So thanks to a string of really weirdly-stacked bolt and throwing item vendors and surprisingly generous floors, I'm sitting on 22 Clockwork Sawblades, 13 Holy Hand Grenades, and 26 Bolts of Mass Destruction. :psyduck: I don't even know what this run is any more, but there may not be a dungeon left when I get to Dredmor.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 29, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you have a stockpile of more than 20 Dredmor busters, you should be using them sooner. Having 50 HHG would have been fun to use if I knew I would end up with so many.

A mod did give me several nuclear Footballs that set the whole screen on fire. It was scary and I expected it would happen.

Yeah, that's More Dred that provides the Footballs; they're throwing-based BMDs except cheaper and more plentiful. The effect is literally the same except that one doesn't use a crossbow.

I've been using my bolts and HHGs to clear out monster zoos, but it's tricky to get a good shot that doesn't end up with me in the radius - there really needs to be a skill that lets you open doors from a distance so that, upon discovering a zoo, you can shut the door, get some distance, and open it again in a good range for your Squid Bolts/big nukes without putting yourself in further danger.

Hell, I've got enough that I've considered using them for wall-clearing in order to get hidden goodies.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 29, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shwqa posted:

All non-missile spells do work this way. All of the Viking Wizardary, Fleshsmithing, Golemancy, Astrology, and maybe Mathemagic attack spells are non-missile spells. Also rune of explosion and Gog's Tactical Pyre are non-missile spells.

Fake Edit: Which is also why Dreadmor is so deadly because his Artic Vortex and Thor's Fulminaric Bolt can't be reflected and still hit you even if you are hiding behind an unliving wall.

Doesn't help a melee build relying on flasks and bolts for AoE damage.

For that matter, why AREN'T flasks considered non-missile? I mean, you wouldn't bean them at somebody, you'd lob them over enemies' heads. Is it just a programming thing, that the game considers "throw item" as a single skill and the item in question only changes the effect on impact and if it's floor-targetable?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, I know Interior Dredmorating is what's behind the crashing when going down to Floor 15, but has anyone been able to figure out HOW and WHY that is? More importantly, is there any sort of workaround, or does a frustratingly good character just have to rot on Floor 14 because his weakness is stairs?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

Oh I don't know I shot people point blank. It felt like it was going to be a huge room swallowing miasma and it did barely any damage to these stone guardians at point blank range and they immediately started attacking me again anyway or I assumed they were and kept firing.

I feel like emomancy is a bad pairing with psionics. All I have for AoE is the acid explosion and I feel like it only does decent damage to the first person hit by it at the center, everyone else gets negligible acid damage.

Emomancy is kind of a bad pairing with ANYTHING that isn't blatantly front-loaded damage, I find; The Cure is good, and Chemical Romance does... alright damage, but it really needs an offensive spellset to partner with or else it's pretty useless.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Keep going down different stairs. It took me five tries to get it to work.

There's only so many stairs on the level, and none of them seem to work. :(

EDIT: Finally worked, it only took like twenty tries. :argh: Disabling Interior Dredmorating for runs from here on out; at least until they fix this bug. On the plus, I got I Don't Believe That Worked. :shobon:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 30, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gromit posted:

When you combine a zoo with those self-replicating caltrop traps you end of with some serious area denial.

What this picture doesn't suggest is that each tile is probably somewhere like 2-5 traps deep, if not deeper, and that Dragonsbreath Caltrops do 30 damage before resistances (20 Fire, 10 Piercing). And, of course, that eruptors do that caltrop's worth of damage when they trigger.

That can get REALLY ugly, REALLY quick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

k-spar posted:

I want to make an unarmed character, I've got these 5 skills so far:

Unarmed
Artful Dodger
Perception
Burglary
Archaeology

Any suggestions for my next two utility skills? This is for a NTtG run. I was thinking golemancy and blood magic, but what else would synergize well with this?

If you're on NTTG, I assume your first four levels are going to be in order: Museum, Lucky Pick, then the two levels for Knightly Leap?

If that's the case, you don't want something that you'll need to invest points in early on, you're gonna want something that offers you decent passives and/or skills front-loaded. Werediggle is actually a good choice here, as the boosts from the Were form will help you get through the first couple of levels when you've got really low bonuses for Unarmed. Throwing/Archery might help save ammo, since you're gonna be running pretty horrible on equipment for a while unless you get REALLY lucky with mysterious portals/evil chests.

Blood Magic would be good if you took a magic skill, but very few magic skills keep their utility past the first floor without levels invested, and with a mostly Rogue base, a lot of them are going to need to be for utility anyway. Viking Magic and Astrology would be good choices there.

EDIT: Shields/Smithing is really good, too - carry around 2x Mirror Shields for tanking casters, and beefier shields to help soak hits, because, yes. You're gonna be doing poo poo damage before too long.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 1, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Technically, doesn't this make Rogue archetypes generally weaker characters in the vanilla game, and make Wizards generally stronger? After all, Wizards tend to have 8 skills per tree, and Rogues tend to cap out at 5, with Warrior skill trees varying from 5 to 7.

Granted, this is only an issue in the endgame, and even then only if you're grinding out as many levels as you can, which really isn't very possible without either Archaeology or a high enough level in trap skills to abuse infinitely spawning Dragonsbreath Caltrop Eruptors as a source of disarming EXP, but still.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 2, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

middle left right gets you crafting, and why would you want to make literally any other type of machine?

On later floors (deeper than Floor 9, in my testing), Throwing Weapons machines literally have nothing but Holy Hand Grenades, Clockwork Sawblades, and (if you have More Dred active) nuclear Footballs.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

By the way, what are some good builds you can recommend that have a good shot of reaching Dredmor? I always seem to get to floor 12-14 and then either a) Don't deal enough damage so fights drag on for longer than they should or b)I fail to notice the 'elite' aura around a monster and die.

It's less about finding skills that work and more about finding skills that work TOGETHER. Swords + Dual Wield gives you a ridiculous amount of Counter, Shields + Master of Arms gives you plenty of block and damage absorption, Promethean Magic + Blood Magic will give you pretty limitless MP and great damage output once you get going with Tactical Pyres, at the cost of not working well on the lava floor.

In addition, you don't want to spread out your focuses TOO much - a mostly specialized build will generally do better than a hybrid. That's not saying to NOT hybridize, but the extra Wizard levels won't do nearly as much for a mostly-warrior character stat-wise.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 4, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Coyote Smith posted:

The skull with eyebrows is really tickling my funny bone. I think the idea of the build is nice. Becoming more and more like a glass cannon with all the negative health buffs. If I'm understanding the last skill correctly in that it get rid of all the health debuffs from the previous skills, it looks like a very powerful tree if you can last that long to complete it. I haven't played many wizard based runs, but with the already fragile nature of wizarding, debuffing your health would result in getting 1 shot by a stray ranged attack, no?

It's worth noting that an Emerald-Encrusted Gold Ring will more than make up for the HP lost in the tree; even without the last skill's 'undo', you only lose 8 max HP, which isn't really all that bad.

The -8 HP Regen is going to effing sting though; it's basically a proto-vampirism in that you'll have to rely on food for ANY HP recovery. Of course, this also means that Vampirism neatly dovetails with this skillset, at the cost of tanking your Righteous resistance so hard that Fish Paladins merely need to look at you funny in order to make you fall over.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

Is staff of gojewin the best staff? I'm seeing magic swords that do 20 more damage than this staff and I'm getting jealous but can't switch due to skills.

Damage-wise, the second- or third-best staff in the vanilla game, depending on how much enemies block your attacks. It does 22 damage, only 12 of which is exotic (read: something other than Crushing/Slashing/Blasting). The Spear of Holy Sacrifice, the "best" staff-type weapon, does 15 Piercing, 15 Righteous, and 1 Slashing, has the same chance of proc'ing the Blinding Flash, and also has a chance of proc'ing the Fish Paladins' Righteous-element spell on hit.

If you're running staves because of their magic bonuses, Gojewin is better since it actually HAS magic bonuses naturally. If you're playing it on a melee build, you're better off with the Spear... or possibly looking into the More Dred mod, which mostly has extra endgame gear to fill in the non-Axe/Sword gaps.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So, I'm working with that build mentioned a few pages back (Unarmed/Rogue Scientist/Perception/Dodger/Burglary/Archaeology/Tinkering) and have just made it to Floor 7 on NTTG.

Not only have I not found a single bit of Black Powder, but I have gone seven floors without a single pair of pants appearing. Not in a shop, not on the floor, not as an Inconsequentia/Monster Zoo award.

NOTHING.

I think the game is trying to tell me something, but I'm not sure what. It might just be "NTTG's loot tables need to be weighted slightly away from food and booze and more towards useful items"

EDIT: Unrelatedly, Enchanted Plaguetatos can go straight to hell. One sidequest spawned a group of them in a cramped room, and the ensuing clouds of purple unpleasantness almost killed me from full health in a matter of two or three turns.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 5, 2012

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was mentioned repeatedly about NTTG being left to chance. But hey, you felt saving time was more important than making sure you have the items needed to beat the game before your sanity ran out.

I know, it's just that the blank equipment slot is getting to me. I wonder if my kicks are really killing enemies not because of the thaumite swarms, but because of monsters not wanting to stare at my junk.

(I can beat the game without AoE, I've done it twice before. It's just frustrating and I can only really do one floor a day in those cases.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Some of these mods are pretty fun. But others aren't.

I had high hopes for the "nine oriental skills" mod. It was disappointing, except for the martial arts stances. Blobby style is hilariously broken. Rush it and you're almost invincible for the first 4 floors just with that alone.

The "Adds Candy" mod and "Thaumite Mary" mods are highly recommended, though.

Yeah, part of the problem with publically-created mods is that there's no spoiler wiki for mod items (so you have no concrete idea what mod adds what items) and the user ranking system on Steam Workshop is kind of unbalanced at the moment. Plus, a lot of it's subjective, or part of a bigger collection. As an example, I like a lot of the new rooms that Roguish Renovation adds, but I think the creator went a little overboard with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon references. I like what Interior Dredmorating adds, but it breaks Floor 15.

Likewise, whatever mod adds the fruity girl drinks like martinis and margaritas (It's either Sweet Sweet Swag or FAXPAX) really needs to work on their item art, it looks kind of wonky and out of place with the aesthetic.

There are some that outright make life easier, though. Meltdown in particular makes NTTG far more bearable, but also makes Perception almost gamebreakingly good, so.

As far as skills go, I've been running with vanilla skills in order to get capstone cheevos, though I keep hearing good things about Galactic Hitchhiker. I'll take a look at Thaumite Mary, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Krinkle posted:

I Randomed an unarmed/vampire/blood mage/viking/math/big game/warlock. I have been using reliquaries as my healing, stacking dodge, and magic booting my way through the game. I have no ramge but I stick my magic boot through the faces of everyone. I have two magic portals but I'm afraid to try them. I have enough viking to root people but still...

How do people usually do unarmed? Dual shields?

Do weapon specializations even matter? When I was feeling shackled to staves but kept getting awesome swords and finally a 50 goddamn damage ravager, I could still use my staves skills while using an axe. I feel like Ki cascade should disable or something when you have axes?

Dual Shields or dual tomes, depending on what you find. Tomes offer interesting potential, particularly Bee Culture, which causes you to spew Thaumites everywhere.

Weapon specializations are nice, but really, the passive boosts you get are only rarely useful - Sword specialization (and I Am Not Left Handed) has benefits if you want to Counter All The Things, but the rest you can take or leave. This isn't the first time I've heard about equipment-based procs triggering when you don't have that item equipped - I know for a fact the Shield skills trigger if you don't have a shield on, making a Dual Wield/Shield build surprisingly NOT redundant.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rydash posted:

DR. SANIN STANDS BY HIS PRODUCT. HE'S NOT JUST A SCIENTIST, HE'S A CUSTOMER.
THE SCIENTIFIC REMEDY.
NOW FORTIFIED WITH HEALTHFUL RADIUM!

Radium? :confused: I read it as "Barium".

Just as healthful, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr_Amazing posted:

How is it supposed to work?

"Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

In other words, cast the spell and wait until you have Charged Arcane Capacitor status (I believe it's after 4 or 5 turns?), and attack. Any less will fizzle, any more and you overload and risk killing yourself with death.

• Locked thread