Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJ5xnTiP5U

The greatest video game wrestling match in the history of our sport. Again. :staredog: (poo poo gets real after two minutes or so)

WWE '12 is actually a pretty good game and more fun to play than any wrestling game THQ has released in the last eight years. That said, it could have used a playtesting budget bigger than the three dollars THQ paid to the hobo who lives in the dumpster behind their offices (who had previously been hired to test the PC version of Saints Row 2). You get glaringly obvious glitches at least once in every play session, although usually they're more minor ones (wonky hit detection, physics freaking out, etc.) and not... this.

I almost skipped this because I thought it was that ladder match video again (can someone relink that, by the way, I can't find it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've never played it either but I was under the impression that it was like GTA4 where you could have something ridiculous happen and save video of it after the fact.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAUBsm8ZATU

Sometimes trying to fix a glitch makes it even better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Nah, the speedrun thread is for all speedrun-related discussions (especially neat new tricks and glitches). Feel free to post stuff like that in there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kennel posted:

Oh, WWE games :allears:

Jump to 9:20 (it's an AI vs AI match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0pwL7XcoY&t=560s

The AI commentary is just amazing.

The AI in the WWE games is kind of amazingly broken a lot of the time and the various divisions of VGCW lead into a lot of poo poo like that showing up. It's great.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HenryEx posted:

Are you, like, committed to read an article in full once you catch glimpse of the first letter?
Not sure why anyone would ever even consider reading the very informative three-paragraph summation at the top of the article and then go and look at the contents with "History" and "Models for real-world research" and think I definitely need to read that, too.

Man I don't know how anyone wouldn't go read the whole page after seeing that the Wikipedia page on a bug in WoW had a section about real-life applications for epidemic research.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Aperture Priority posted:

So I recently picked up Dark Souls II for a good price and was excited/terrified to try it based on everything people said about Dark Souls (I have that too, but it never worked on PC for me). So I'm working my way through the game and having a really rough go of it, bought equipment, bought weapons, but only have one good weapon that I can use since my stats aren't high enough. What the hell, how do I level up my skills? So I look it up and apparently there's an NPC that I'm supposed to talk to! Nope, doesn't exist in my game. Looked at screenshots and videos, but she just doesn't exist in my game.

So I gave up looking and just made a new character. Sure enough she's there now. Waste of 5 hours of my time. :smithicide:

You probably accidentally killed her and didn't notice. Don't do that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
More Breaking Madden, since nobody posted any of the updates since the first one this season went up:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/11/6121465/breaking-madden-tony-romo-week-in-quarterback-hell
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/18/6153463/breaking-madden-deanthony-thomas-chiefs
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/25/6826789/breaking-madden-teddy-bridgewater

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This writer is incredible.

jon bois has been amazing for years and i really wish he just had one place where he posted links to everything he ever writes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
SS13, dwarf fortress, and eve online all have the really unique quality of having enough structure for there to be really fantastic stories built around them and created by said structure while simultaneously not actually being that engaging or interesting to actually play (unless you have the willingness to spend a ton of time dealing with things enough to get those stories going)

Hopefully Clockwork Empires or something in the future like it manages to do the former while avoiding the latter

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Oh my god bethesda this is worse than in dark souls 2 :cripes:

I mean, that's why you get locked framerates in the first place, because the engine has things tied to framerate. Dark Souls 1 had the problem too, where modding to unlock the framerate made you sometimes fall through the world when climbing ladders and completely hosed over jumping gaps in most places in the game. It happens and it's kind of funny to me how many people are in the mindset that the only reason you get locked framerate is out of developer spite

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The Dark Souls 2 namedrop was because of a decently notorious bug that would cause weapons to lose double their durability than they were supposed to because the durability check happened per-frame despite the engine now running at 60fps.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Your Computer posted:

That's true, and it devastated some heavy weapons who potentially lingered "inside" enemies but I was thinking of the person who said "DS2 would mess up if you went above 30 FPS". Someone was wrong on the internet.

That was me and I said dark souls 1 specifically and it did actually break the game in parts if you didn't keep the framerate capped

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cheez posted:

Well, yes, but if you make the game at 60fps to begin with or even just not tie all events to frames to begin with then it wouldn't be an issue.

That's a lot easier said than done, especially if you're developing the exact same game for consoles too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
To be fair you could say that about just about every videogame. It's almost never worth buying a thing day 1 and certainly not worth preordering.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

haveblue posted:

Reminds me of a line in a Sims patch notes which I think was the thread title for a while:

And that leads me to link this amazing twitter that everyone should follow: https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BlueKingBar posted:

Capcom going out of their way to become the next Sega I see. "Let's pussywhip our employees for minor short-term monetary gains at the expense of the game's quality and our employees' sanity, surely nothing can go wrong."

Something something history repeats itself something something.

So did you react like that to the entire rest of the thread's glitches or what

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It depends on how frequent they are, and how likely a given person is going to encounter them, and how much progress someone actually loses when they encounter it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's some strong words about Valkyria Chronicles.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
All games have bugs, and the more people play a game the more bugs get discovered. This is even more true on the PC, as differences in hardware setups can make things worse in completely unforseen ways. I had a friend who would constantly complain about the most bizarre issues he was having and long story short after about the fifth time we found out he was on a 8 year old laptop that would overheat so badly the plastic melted.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is that XCOM2 save corruption thing something that even actually happens? That dude was the first person to even mention it if I'm not mistaken.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

President Ark posted:

you've never done any computer programming, have you

All you have to do is not hit the giant red button that says 'put bugs in the game'

I dunno why it's so hard to resist

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People will do in-depth videos of anything they're interested in dude, no need to flip out about it being ~~~spergy~~~ to care enough to make a video of a neat thing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's who he was talking about with the 'scuttlebug' reference at the top of the post, and yeah pannenkoek's videos are legit entertaining and worth watching.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The series hasn't been dropped, it's just one that has a while between updates like Monster Factory.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Apparently if you save in a specific area earlyish on and start a new file it can break things really hard -- it's what causes the doubled and the upside down NPCs, among other things

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Is this what they mean by 'bend it like Beckham?'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it originated in the thread for the game, where people encouraged spreading it around on Twitter and elsewhere so it'd get fixed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a feature, but one whose benefits aren't always that obvious

a fun thing is that if you play on one of the stages that 'squishes' characters into a 2d sprite like the game and watch ones, it actually literally squishes the models to the point where all those weird 3d dodges stop working

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can do QA by making sure what's supposed to work does work, but a more thorough (and better, and costly) QA makes sure as many ways that go wrong don't

all the scaling bugs seem to be the former in that they work in the obvious ways that you want them to work but they don't if you try to break things

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ratoslov posted:

And less funny! Everyone else sounds like a cartoon character, Gaige sounds like they hooked the actress up to a car battery. It is genuinely unnerving.

it's like a magic trick gone wrong

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Testekill posted:

Chivalry is just Screaming: the Game though.

I thought that was Serious Sam

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kikas posted:

Nah Serious Sam is "getting screamed at: the game".

I thought that was dota

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
usually, easy fixes aren't

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's a great story and a good example of how an issue might end up being nowhere near where the behavior seems to take place

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wanted to pick up the Master Collection but the stories of these bugs are putting me off a bit

i *think* these are stories of the bugs for the console release of the collection which is over half a decade old, not the recent arrival of it on pc

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly I'm kind of shocked it works at all

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dialhforhero posted:

Sounds like neural nets are a lot like children.

nah, these days they spend a lot of money on supporting the future of machine learning

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the mbmbam show was very good and I don't understand if you liked the podcast and didn't like the show. the most I can say is that the ghost episode was the weakest of the six and they should've maybe led with one of the others, but other than that it's still great

after it moved to vrv you can watch it for free after making an account, btw

edit: oops hello new page

to bring it back down to the thread subject, here's one of my favorite monster factories featuring some nice fuckery with the game data to create a very special boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4x_BRqIpI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

packetmantis posted:

Shut the gently caress up about Mcelroys, isn't there a quarantine thread for that poo poo?

there's a thread for the podcast in the forum for threads about podcasts, if that's what you mean

no need to be so bizarrely hostile