Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

This is not true, because as soon as the model assumes a natural position... you get stretching. The reason T-poses are used are that they are easier to handle. Easier to model, easier to texture, easier to rig. To get the "best" results texture-wise you would want to model it in a natural pose, arms more relaxed downwards so that you instead get stretching when assuming weird poses like the T-Pose (unlikely to be ever seen) :eng101:

This actually changes depending on the circumstances, too. Lots of fighting games (Street Fighter 4 does, I believe) use what's called "X-Pose", because they have such a large range of motion. Texturing and baking in "A" and "T" poses would cause huge distortions when the characters raised their arms over their heads or extended their legs out completely, which happens a lot in these kinds of games.

Speaking of locked poses, one of my favorite little bugs in Guild Wars 2 is gliding around as a Mesmer in your default standing pose. It's easy to do and it's been in the game since launched and hasn't been fixed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You keep the five most expensive things and anything you've got marked as "protected", the rest is dropped in a grave stone you have to go back and loot, but it's all protected for a short amount of time depending the level of gravestone and any prayers you have.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Runescape actually looks really nice (except for the old, old areas), it's just that the Elf Town, the new place they added, looks like garbage.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's more that they have no incentive to touch a lot of old areas. Most of them are gated in the Members areas, and people aren't becoming Members because the game looks pretty. So they focus on bringing in a boatload of new content for free and pay players, and that stuff inevitably ends up looking better.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

With all that bible reading you guys have been going on about in every thread you should be done by now. It's not that long.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"It's a great game today, lots of effort from both teams, really putting on a show here. What do you think, Jim?"

"I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This entire video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wudeQlgl43M

But my favorite is the fact that the AI bugs out and goes peaceful if your gun doesn't have ammo in it. That's a new one.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Goodsprings Unsettler

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The horse thing is pretty funny but hopefully they'll do something about that glitch that puts Sera in your party

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Um, isn't that the game that lets you make custom animations for all the characters?

fighting is a sport too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwfMkCg36U

I still bust out 3D Fighter Maker every once in a while, you can make some pretty legit stuff with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Death of Basketball is probably the funniest thing he's ever written, and it's definitely the funniest thing I've ever read.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

actually all of that is nonsense, the truth is that cybermancers are real

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

We need a Bad Company 3 asap

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bad Company: Hard Line

Watcha gonna do when they come for you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

Couple of my friends was playing SS13 and discovered it was possible to shoot someone by baking a gun into a pie and throwing it at the target, we're still trying to figure out if it's a glitch or if it's working as intended.

My favorite is if you lay down and then stand back up really fast you can do brain surgery on yourself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

broteam rules

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

I just don't know what to say. It's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BgZkJYzPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HG-hh8xugs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love that dumb bug, we even managed to catch a screengrab of fellow goon Baba getting both the Neon Green Skeleton glitch and the Scopedick glitch at the same time

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's neither, just a side-effect of the technique they're using called Interior Mapping. There's no actual geometry behind those windows, it's just fancy camera tricks, projecting textures in a certain way. Think of it like each window acting like a TV screen.

The building geometry is all very simple, but due to the limitations of the technique and the way the whole camera-based visual trick works, it only works from one angle. They don't want each side of the building to look the same (which is the entire point behind the trick in the first place) so they assign a different projected texture series to the other side of the building, which is why it's a completely different room on the corners, because there's nothing actually there. They probably figured it was worth that weird disconnect in order to get the illusion of fully-realized interiors on the buildings you're swinging buy constantly and I'd agree!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there are ways around it if you put in some more work, it's just that "Oversight" and "Glitch" imply that effect is accidental, when it could just be something they didn't feel like doing or chose not to do for whatever reason. It's still pretty weird though and it's hopefully something they touch on later, the team seems pretty proud of the other tech they put in the game like some of their 4K rendering tricks.

e: I'm being pedantic though I guess, I just wanted to talk about that cool poo poo since I live for crazy data saving/optimization tricks in video games

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Sep 9, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Each track can be detached from the tank to become its own self-propelled unit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is IVAN the one with the artifact weapon mace that causes explosions when you swing it, but does not actually make you immune to those explosions. I've played A LOT of roguelikes and that's up there with my favorite weapons of all time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite Dwarf Fortress related bug sprang from the concern that, despite the very detailed and measurable body dynamics and damage model, and despite the fact that all the math seemed to check out when measuring damage to certain body parts, dwarves were taking on some pretty grievous injuries relatively easy. Entire limbs were being demolished,, they were bleeding out super fast, and oddities like single arrows taking out both of a dwarve's eyes as well as their liver and a few toes at the same time popped up.

After months of research into the bugs and tweaking the system someone discovered that Toady had accidentally made dwarves really tiny.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WWE Y2K20

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the durability, especially combined with the framerate bug, neutered my favorite weapon, the Caestus. it broke so drat fast because of a naturally low durability and the fact that you were swinging it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the musical timing on that first thwomp grunt is fantastic