Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

pulp rag posted:

Wish my laptop could actually run Payday 2 at non-slideshow speeds. That game is so ridiculously amazing.

My favorite thing about the game is the dumb conversations everyone gets if you talk into a downed guard's walkie. Almost every single character is a complete goober when it comes to covering it up, and it's magical.

When they added Rust, he is voiced by Ron Perlman. Yes, really. One of his pager lines (among all of them which are excellent) is "You guys seen hellboy? Great fuckin' movie. They should make a third one.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT14Q3LTuM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I tried to play warframe again and it had a story and the gameplay was better but the grind was just as lovely as ever and in the brief window I was playing the dev team proved they were still just doing the same poo poo they were doing back when I quit for the first time.

It was pretty awesome that they added in a new resource that you could only get like three of a day and everything needs though. And you could only get it from doing rare timed alerts that you had no real way of knowing when they popped up besides being in the game when it comes up.

There's an app that culls the twitter alerts (Since DE has an auto-twitter bot that announces new alerts and what they're for) so you can get alerted to them via your phone.

Also there's a website ( http://deathsnacks.com/wf/index.html ) that does basically the same thing too. So don't go making it out to be this huge thing. The alertium and Eventium alerts are bullshit but just encourage you to play for longer. Which, with everything you can level, is sort of a point in it's favor. Just don't grind your face off and you'll be fine.

For content: there's a Warframe ability called Disarm. When you use it on the one faction's two-limbed walkers that only have a gun, they popped out a tiny electric prod out of their head and tried to beat you to death with it.

For a while, you could gently caress around in the dojo dueling room to the point that you could get free and then cast disarm on other players in the dojo. Including their sentinels (little robots that hang at your shoulder).

Well, what do you think the sentinels did when disarmed?

Yep. Tiny little electric prod sticking out. Straight up. The whole goon clan was waiting for ... uh, update 12 or 10 or something big, all in the dojo, all loving around and all of a sudden we all staggered and there were dozens of little prods in the air.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I feel like I should have known it was SS13.

You're talking about a game where at one point you could make a fire from cheese, which would naturally make cheese smoke which would coat any tile it touched in cheese, that after the fire got hot enough, would then catch on fire, and make more cheese smoke. Which would coat more tiles in cheese to burn.

Or the thermal engine that you can power with the equivalent of single gas molecules that fucks the rounding so bad that the engine reports a temperature about six quntillion times hotter than the theoretical absolute hottest anything (in reality) can get. And the engine gets grumpy, occasionally so you have to feed it people and weed.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you want to fire some crazy rear end loving guns, then by all means, check out Warframe.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If I'm over 2100 hours in warframe, is destiny 2 being f2p going to "do" anything for me that gratuitous anime space ninja teens won't?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

I can only assume that wild physics like that is a result of the limited calculations the computer can make with regards to kinetic energy and energy transfer. At some point it isn’t coded to transfer any/enough/all energy from on thing to the other (like the ground or tree) on top of the fact that there isn’t an energy loss equation built in so then the physics calculations become an echo chamber and maybe become exponentially worse until a 20 ton truck flops around like a feather and bounces off of trees.

No?

Nah, generally physics system freak outs like that are due to models clipping into one another. The collision system attempts to separate them by imparting force in a direction to one of the objects. This force is then applied but the objects don't separate because they're still connected or the collision system models another collision, which reduces the force on one, imparting it to the other object so now they're moving together.

Next time physics calculations are done the same thing happens and you end up getting huge phantom forces that make the physics object go batshit crazy like that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think in this case it is the shitposters who are the bug.

All I see is hunter2, though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
A developer sets up a bar.

A QA orders 1 beer. Orders 99 beers. Orders & beers. Orders 4294967296 beers. Orders - 1 beers.

A customer comes in and asks where the bathroom is and the bar explodes.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Triarii posted:

I think it's quite possible that the Tsushima devs knew about the goofy ocean situation in photo mode, and decided that it was the least-bad outcome of their possible options, because the way photo mode is supposed to work is:
1. Characters/animals are fully frozen, so you can capture that perfect action moment and there aren't weird gameplay consequences from the player getting shoved around while the game is supposed to be paused
2. Environmental effects and animations continue unhindered, because it looks awesome and you can record gorgeous scenery videos like these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3e9fqihTv1PWUxqOcVzCCVn_giJ_p3R0

I think it's fair to call it a "glitch" even if it's working as intended and thus not really a bug. It's just that their other options were to pause the ocean which would look worse, or to let the player be affected by certain physics forces in photo mode which would almost certainly lead to other things that would be also called glitches.

There's an option in the photo mode tools to pause environment animations. This includes the waves of the ocean. The unintended effect is that the environment animation still affects the character model.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Is he the same person that coined the phrase (for talking about a super Mario 64 TAS) "But first, we need to talk about parallel universes."?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, I know that is probably an alpha or something (given all the debug info on the video) but that's what happens when you're coding and forget and re-use variables across objects.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's probably related to the Tetris effect, honestly. Our brains are pretty plastic. If you're on the younger side (late teens through 20s or so) it's easier for your brain to slip into and out of this special visual processing mode.

I, for one, have recently gotten a Oculus Rift and playing a lot of it. And after about a 1.5-hour session in Valve's free The Lab, I started feeling like my hands were very "floaty" and not real, as if I was still in the lab itself.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

16-bit RDRAM posted:

This only happened to me the first few times I did VR, it was some game where you're at the returns counter at a store and have to slap customers and groceries around or something. I had to stare at my hand and open/close my fist until it went away.

I just got a headset too and the only thing that screws me up (so far) is smooth movement of my character, using the control stick like a console game instead of point-and-zap movement. I went up a ladder in smooth mode and nearly paint jobbed my office.

Yeah, I thought the same motion sickness couldn't affect me until I turned on the movement via control stick instead of teleportation in the VR home. I quickly got a very queasy feeling. I suppose that's a testament to how immersive it is.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

This can go away eventually. Goons in the PSVR thread refer to it as "getting your VR legs." I had it happen playing Skyrim, I was fine and then after about 30 minutes I suddenly got so nauseated I had to rip off the headset and make a dash to the john*. Didn't puke, but I felt all hosed up for almost an hour. Now I play Squadrons and NMS and run around all day with no problems on smooth turning. Occasionally something will get a hitch in my stomach but it goes away quickly. Usually it's doing barrel rolls in my spaceship.

I mean, it's possible I just got sick because I was playing Skyrim but I think it was the VR :v:

Yeah, I got a little demo, "eye of the temple" which cleverly utilizes the 2mx2m space you're supposed to have for vr by having you "walk" onto blocks that move. Even that made me queasy at first. If I had set up a tiny bit more room I would have continued playing but the first few times it sure did make my stomach go "wtf".

Clearly more vr will only fix this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I know it's not a glitch, just a fantastic set of rules given to the player, but gently caress yeah, spider car:

https://i.imgur.com/rdhZArs.mp4

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think I might actually have to get Valheim now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dareon posted:

I could picture that working two ways: My first thought was the bullet fires a ray both backwards and forwards along its flight path to see if it hit anything in the previous tick or will next tick, then I realized that would be kinda dumb and it probably fires a ray two steps ahead to see if it will hit anything in the distant future. There's potential for some interesting shenaningans with the first model.

I do love this kind of stuff, because you generally know how the physics you want to use would work in the real world, but you can't actually do that virtually yet, so you solve the problem of, say, how an enemy detects the player by having the player constantly firing an invisible gun from their eyes that alerts the enemy when it hits them.

I mean that's sort of how it works in the real world. :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

As I understand, coptering (you could do it with some other weapons too) was better for moving horizontally in a straight line, but the current system is better for literally anything else.

Pretty much, but given that, they fully embraced the new movement system created and this ended up leading to some really awesome map design as a result.

I mean, it's still Digital Extremes though, so there's still bugs. I fully expect some hilarious ones to be brought in with their new major patch on the 15th.

For content: A titania went into their ultimate which turns them into a very tiny version of the warframe that has archwing (i.e., flying) mechanics in regular missions. They then swapped to their nechramech and their warframe ran out of energy. For some reason this reverted their frame out of the ultimate power mode so they weren't flying anymore, but kept them tiny sized.

When they interacted with objects in the railjack (ship) the objects themselves became tiny as well:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Vecna's invading video games now, I see.

Alternatively: Seems boneitis is now afflicting football players. Tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I thought they were using the arm leverage to break their neck with their knee?