Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

raocow posted:

Have a Super Mario World TAS that is very straightfoward and easy to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syo5sI-iOgY

These are always my favorite kind of glitches because when you don't know the explanation behind them it looks like wizardry, and when you do know how it works it still looks like wizardry. Kind of like all the Pokemon Glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

pr0p posted:

Do you know if they reverse-engineer this from the game code or what? I can't imagine someone coincidentally doing this.

In the cases of things like the Super Mario World and Pokemon one, it's a matter of the game trying to load things it shouldn't be, and then someone figuring out how to use those glitches in a way that they're basically modding the game while it's running, usually to achieve an end sequence way earlier than should be possible.

I know in the case of the yellow one, the information on the TASVideos site explicitly mentions using save corruption to have 255 pokemon in the roster, which apparently allows the act of swapping pokemon past the sixth slot to change things like door warps and pokedex status, same with items, and basically does that in such a way that you can basically go from the first room to the end sequence.

The SMW one raocow posted was a bit more...obtuse, but apparently works on similar principles.

I probably hosed up a bit on explaining this, but some of these videos come with documentation if you look, though admittedly the documentation can be just as incomprehensible sometimes (Hence my "Even when you understand what they did it still seems like magic" remark)