Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Poniard posted:

My coop partner in Saint's Row lost connection, so I died multiple times to the unknown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcpUFLmQCY

:stare: That's some horror movie stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Rare Collectable posted:

This would work so well for the Elder Scrolls games. Any time the terrain suddenly disappears or one of the other myriad glitches that can ruin your game pop up the NPCs just flip out like

"The gods have forsaken us!" :gonk:

NPCs "reacting" to glitches or otherwise playing along is always worth a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tried to catch up on Psychonauts today.

It's somehow fitting.

You know, if that happened on my first playthrough I probably would have assumed that it was part of the game.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Brother Jonathan posted:

The facial textures also weren't done very well:

Are you sure they aren't just zombie legionnaires? Seriously that's kind of frightening.

e:f;b

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Dabir posted:

There's two doors in The Stanley Parable that if you're quick, you can back into them as they're closing. If you're fast enough, you can end up trapped on the wrong side of them forever. If you're not, they'll get stuck on you. One of them will then open if you click on it and remain open for the rest of the run, the other will just remain stuck forever and you'll have to start over. Sure, it's not that funny by itself, but given the nature of the game... I dunno, I found it pretty amusing.

I assume you're talking about the doors in the boss's office? This unlocks a secret ending.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

miscellaneous14 posted:

Since it's a Source engine game, you can climb onto some small objects by walking at one of their corners. It was actually pretty easy to get out of bounds in the monitor room by doing that, it's just a shame there isn't like an easter egg by breaking the game like that.

Well, jumping on chairs does lead to an easter egg on one occasion. Of course, with a game like this, it's impossible to tell what's a glitch, what's on purpose, and what's just poorly implemented.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

The game spawns you in one of six or seven different office layouts every time you pick restart. If you quit and boot up the game, there's one office layout that's always first. That's the only office layout that's possible to get to the "secret ending", all the others close the door on you before you get there.

There's good reason to believe it's just cut content though, and accidentally left in the game.

And there's just as good a reason to believe that the ending simply has an extra layer of depth.

What I'm getting at is that The Stanley Parable might be the opposite of this thread. Because you can (almost) never be sure.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Civ 5 online multiplayer has a glitch where, if someone offers you any sort of diplomatic deal, you can modify it and then immediately accept it on the other players behalf. This came to light in a game where one friend wanted to mutually trade some luxury resources...and suddenly his treasury was cleaned out and all his cities had been "donated" to the player in last.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Also in Dark Souls 2: Skeletons, when killed, really like to fall into a T-pose. A certain catacomb was just filled with posing skeletons after I was done with it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Abusing permanent-enchantment glitches in Oblivion made it impossible for me to take staircases. Instead of walking down them, I would just shoot out into open space, fall down to the bottom of the stairs, and take fall damage.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Got another Max Payne 3 modding, er, mishap, fresh off the grill. I have added some music for emphasis but other than that I did no post-recording editing.

(Just a warning, Max's incredibly sound-distorted voice peaks all over the place so you might not want to watch this wearing headphones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIWchi3vAGY

I will probably never sleep again.

edit: To explain what I did to make this mess happen:

1. I was trying to get rid of the gore/bullet wound models on Max, because they look stupid and him getting riddled with bullets in a game where he takes 1 plot hit ever is immersion-ruining. They are hard-coded into his body model so I went into the text files to try and make them 0x0 pixels large. The game did not take 0x0 as a valid size and in hindsight I should have expected that, so it was just like "gently caress IT, 0 MEANS INFINITE, RIGHT??" and plastered him with gore.

2. Max's voice is played on the topmost layer of audio, so as to lower all other sounds when he is speaking/narrating. Usually it's a cool effect, but if you poke your grubby fingers around in the audio channels for too long, things gently caress up and start getting distorted. The sound lowering effect only applies when Max is speaking, and so the horrible distortion appears to come from his voice when actually it's affecting the whole audio channel.

Modding video games that aren't supposed to be modded is fun! :eng101:

Jesus christ. I'd play a game if it featured Max Payne with huge holes in his chest demon-talking at people.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Cicadas! posted:

Schmorky's voice is like a Bethesda glitch happening in real time, like somebody hosed around with the sliders and now he sounds like he should be hosting a skeevy local-broadcast kids program.

Wasn't there a guy who used to do Donkey Kong LP's that suddenly turned into mickey mouse? Do LP's have some sort of voice-glitching effect on people?

I know that DazzlingAddar's voice changed (when she began getting hormone treatments I assume), but she didn't mention this so goons thought she was just doing a voice. A bunch of people got banned/probated.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm actually pretty sure that that's what Goat Simulator is. A game built on a purposefully lovely physics engine with no attempt to fix any bugs as long as they aren't gamebreaking. Of course, there's the layer of monkeycheese humor on top of that.

The Stanley Parable has moments like what you're talking about though, especially a certain ending that people are still unsure about whether it's intentional or not.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Oblivion was pretty much the king of that feeling, though. I remember being able to download some DLC which put a wizard's tower on the map for you to live in. But if you save while in the tower, delete the DLC, and reload that save, you spawn in a black void. Fall for a bit, and you respawn in an empty house. Outside the house is an area labeled "Wilderness", six houses in a circle (some able to enter, some not, all empty) and a bonfire with a test weapon called "Mace of Doom" in front of it that did some huge amount of fire damage and the number of charges it held went off the screen. This is a "my dad works at Nintendo" level glitch. The houses were also surrounded by some vast empty plane of water but I've a healthy fear of oceans in video games so I stayed away from that.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

RatHat posted:

One thing I don't understand about it is how did they make the sprites for Super Mario Bros.? I don't think those exist anywhere in Super Mario World. Are they making them pixel by pixel? How could you do that in such a short amount of button presses?

That's a bit of a different beast. For hacks like that, they don't just make the game run arbitrary code, they make them run code from something else entirely plugged into a controller slot.

There actually was an exploit like this on modern consoles: The Smash Stack. For a while it was possible to jailbreak your Wii with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Putting a certain file on an SD card and trying to access it as a custom stage would basically give it free reign to do whatever it wanted to the Wii.

re: Older game systems using memory for more than one thing, that's what causes the Missingno. glitch. There's a tutorial where the player is replaced by an old man who shows you how to catch a pokemon. But after the tutorial ends, the game needs to give control back to the player. Where does it keep the player's info in the mean time? In the random encounter table of course, since it isn't being used at the moment! That table should've been updated when the player goes to a new area, but there's a strip of land with no random encounter data in the game. So you start seeing glitches pokemon based off of the letters in your name.

HellCopter has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Feb 1, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
If you're interested in the bank robbing portion of the game, consider the Payday series.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I not sure I'd call it funny, but the recent Dragon Age patch seems to have replaced the "picked mushrooms" model with a dead spider. So there are just humongous dead spiders everywhere in my garden.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I never knew a glitch could have such amazing comedic timing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Not that VGCW was ever perfect, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Still disappointed that none of this stuff happened during VGCW.