Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's two doors in The Stanley Parable that if you're quick, you can back into them as they're closing. If you're fast enough, you can end up trapped on the wrong side of them forever. If you're not, they'll get stuck on you. One of them will then open if you click on it and remain open for the rest of the run, the other will just remain stuck forever and you'll have to start over. Sure, it's not that funny by itself, but given the nature of the game... I dunno, I found it pretty amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I assume you're talking about the doors in the boss's office? This unlocks a secret ending.

I didn't even know about that one! The one I was thinking of is the exit from the corridor between the meeting room and the stairs, back up fast enough and you can get trapped in that corridor. Doesn't seem to do anything except leave you stuck with the broom closet ending.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you sure you haven't just stumbled on a secret? With that game, I wouldn't trust anything to be a glitch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wasn't there something like that for Skyrim that made it look really weird and minimalist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOQsLt5-S8
This?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That happened to the Runescape thread as well. Try viewing the post history of the person who the forum claims had the last post, there'll be one you couldn't see when reading the thread.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

GyverMac posted:

This sounds like something out of Dwarf Fortress.

Speaking of retarded A.I behaviour, I remember the first Sims game had some pretty retarded A.I. For example if you built a swimming pool, you better remember to buy a ladder for the sims to get up. Otherwise they'd swim around until they died from fatigue. My entire first sims family died this way. Cue an empty swimming pool with tombstones all around it.

Feature. It was practically impossible to actually kill your Sims any other way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crossposting from the Runescape thread.

Terces posted:

Elf City is out, and while dicking around I noticed something funny in the Smithy...

Is that loving swamp tar in the air?

Apparently when you drop something in there, it appears on the ceailing instead of the floor. You can probably guess my next action.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some bits of Runescape look really good, especially the f2p bits. On the other hand there's some bits that haven't been touched for years - and from what I understand, actually can't be because they're so badly coded that trying to change them will cause some kind of catastrophic failure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's pretty good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh yeah, happens all the time in the temple. There's few things more unnerving than two heavily-armoured cyber samurai trying and failing to pass each other so hard that one of them just explodes. Funnily enough you don't see important NPCs running around much in EYE.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The SS13 pie thing is intentional and it's great. What's not intentional is the behaviour when you start working with mechanics components and item pies.

See, Mechanics can use a bunch of components, some logic components and some made for interacting with the world, to construct all kinds of things. Set up a button, tell it to send the signal "fart" to its outputs, connect it to a sound synthesiser, press the button and voila, a speaker grille is saying "fart".

One of the components is called the graviton emitter. When it gets a signal, it flings anything on it. This counts as throwing it, so a graviton emitter can activate item pies. But here's the thing - who's using the item? When you throw the pie yourself, it's the person doing the throwing using the item on the person who gets hit, but what about when it's thrown by a machine?

Well, turns out, the game will backtrace who the 'source' of the pie is. If you pushed a button to activate the graviton? You threw the pie. And mechanics components can be connected directly into various parts of the station, like fire alarms and doors. If you open a door, and that sets off a graviton with a pie on it, you threw the pie.

Now where this gets funny is that there's an item called the russian revolver. It's exactly what it sounds like, has one bullet and six chambers. Using it on yourself (or actually on anyone) will make you point it at your own head and pull the trigger, with instantly lethal results if you get unlucky. Now, let's say you bake the revolver into a pie, point a graviton at a monkey off in some quiet corner, put the pie on the graviton and wire it up to be triggered by a random high-traffic door somewhere on the station.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What about handcuffs? That would be pretty amazing

Handcuffs, food, syringes and anything else that takes time to do will work, but only if you're standing next to the person for the duration.

E: You can also throw pies into your own face, by throwing them at a wall next to you. The pie can't enter the tile with the wall, so it stops, and since there's a person in the tile it's stopped in, it hits them in the face.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Feb 22, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No look you're doing it all wrong, this is PYf funniest game GLITCH, not GLITCHES, you posted more than one, you're ruining it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I not sure I'd call it funny, but the recent Dragon Age patch seems to have replaced the "picked mushrooms" model with a dead spider. So there are just humongous dead spiders everywhere in my garden.

You can't just say that and not post screenshots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Riverdance, clearly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's Space Station 13.

Vunterslaush posted:

When you gib as Regional Director or Inspector you will leave behind a clipboard that you never had. You can also turn this to gold with boosted midas touch.

Daeren posted:

Alright, so I went looking at this bug, got very confused, chatted with other coders, and figured out what was going on.

When items are added to people at the start of the round, they're literally inside of them. The code looks at the Jobs datum and stuffs everything it sees inside of them. After that, it calls for everything inside a mob that can be equipped to its assigned slot to be equipped. Clipboards are technically too big to fit in a pocket according to the checks it runs, so it stays implanted inside the person.

I prefer to think of it as the Regional Director's soul being left behind, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

OOC: Haine: friends we have learned why the servers were sometimes failing to restart
OOC: Haine: as it turns out fridges were sometimes making infinite chicken nuggets
OOC: Haine: also yes, because I suck

Borg names can be URLs, which are clickable posted:

The http://bit.ly/IqT6zt screams!
Bob Robins screams!
That is Janitors Closet.
Sam Paine hits Map (Click somewhere in space to close) with the chainsaw!
Chance Stahl [145.9] says, "damnit janitor"
http://bit.ly/IqT6zt states, "I need a module change."
Discount Dan says, "lets hope this chimp is well bred"

Lack of limbs upon spawning posted:

Quite frequently I will find that I spawn without limbs. Could be an arm, could be a leg, could be both arms and both legs. As far as I know it only happens when I spawn in AFTER the round starts.

Though it has comedic value when the clown spawns as just a torso and head, it's a bit annoying.

RE: Server gets laggy when holes are dug posted:

So we managed to identify the problem, which was unrelated to digging, apparently a related loop had an NP-hilarious computational complexity and brilliant branching model.

Basically, it was bad.

And now it's still not particularly good.

But it's not bad.

It's a hell of a game alright.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

Haine updated:
Staples will no longer drain all your blood like some kind of horrific tiny metal vampire
A lot of things get broken.

quote:

Haine updated:
Fixed broken bottles so when you stab someone with them, it doesn't make, uh, YOU bleed and take damage. Whoops!!
Often they get fixed.

quote:

Haine updated:
The Robotics operating computer will no longer tie itself to an operating table on Mars.
Sometimes...

Alioen posted:

You can pee in a cup FOREVER as a ghost. I have a feeling this isn't a feature.

1. Drink a lot of poo poo
2. Click on a glass 100+ times and leave the pee menu up
3. Die
4. You can now pee in the cup from across the map while dead, it even refills it for your electrolytic needs

ISaidNo posted:

i will punch anyone who tries to fix this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So the derringer in Space Station 13 got nerfed by taking away the armour-piercing properties of the bullets. In a thread on the forums complaining about the change, this came up.

quote:

Apparently, AP bullets do the following:
- If no armor is worn or armor value is 0, do power / 2 damage.
- Otherwise, do power / (armor / 3) damage.

So if your armour value is less than 6, you're taking more damage than you would if you didn't have any. Oh, but it gets better.

quote:

Upon further investigation, most armor are between the values of 1 and 3.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coming in to dock in Elite: Dangerous, I find this little mess on my landing pad.

Well gently caress, they're clipped into each other, neither one will ever move again I reckon. But I do want to land. Time to force the issue.

Well that's... actually pretty cool-looking.

I checked the back end and this is probably not intentional.

I wouldn't mind flying this to be honest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yep. Using the in-game logic components, you can set up a catapult aimed at a monkey strapped into a chair that triggers when a specific door is opened. Whoever opens the door is the source of the event and is therefore considered to have thrown the pie, and their head will immediately explode.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Aug 4, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's OK because you can actually throw the pie at an oven to load the revolver into it. And then stand in the corner and throw the pie into your own face repeatedly to eat it and hide the evidence.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Demoman in Team Fortress 2 has a selection of shield items that replace his stickybomb launcher. In exchange for the ability to deploy up to eight remotely-detonated mines that are fired at long range and can be set off in the air and can be detonated under the user's feet to jump huge distances, the demoman gains the ability to charge very fast in a straight line for a short time with a long cooldown, giving 135% melee damage halfway through the charge and 300% melee damage right at the end, thus transforming him from Demoman, destroyer of worlds into Demoknight, destroyer of most one person a minute.

The first few shields introduced allowed you to turn veeeeerrryyyy slowly, like a few degrees over the length of the charge. They later added boots to swap the Demoman's grenade launcher for extra health and a little extra turning speed while charging, in case you're really dedicated to only killing one person a minute and feel like you'd rather not be tempted by actual guns.

People soon found out that by binding keys to simulate moving an analogue stick, they could turn the demoman at normal speed, which was both devastating (to at most one person a minute) and hilarious when a furious scotsman flung himself around a corner at 90 degrees and bashed you in the face with a whiskey bottle. Sadly that was eventually patched out. After a year. Or two.

What people didn't learn until much later was that demoknight turning rate was also dependent on your frame rate. At insane FPS like 250, your game might look like rear end from all the graphics settings you turned down but by god you could spin on a dime while killing one person a minute. That one got patched out a lot more quickly.

Now there's a new shield which intentionally lets you turn really quickly, and gets around the one person a minute thing by refilling your charge when you kill someone with it. It's just not quite the same, somehow. And the boots are pretty useless now too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Demoknight was always kind of awful because every time you saw a demo on your team and thought "Finally, someone's going to clear out this engineer nest" it'd just be a demoknight charging endlessly to its sentry death.

PYF Funniest human brain glitch

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Similar but different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a51u_O-Ji1I

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry, a "handful of game breaking bugs" is considered acceptable?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Same.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's been an infinity of such projects and they never go anywhere because SS13 was never really developed in the first place, more sort of accumulated.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What boss did he call you out for in the tutorial then?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Clown carmour

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's symbolic of the character's strings being pulled by the sinister conspiracy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Think about why burglars and raccoons might share a musical cue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A Hat in Time uses it too, for all the buildings around Mafia Town. Don't think there's any particularly funny looking ones though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Basticle posted:

is this a glitch ? (I'm asking for real, I have no idea whats going on here)

https://i.imgur.com/1kH1Z6u.gifv

Working as intended. 47 never misses.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Each track can be detached from the tank to become its own self-propelled unit.

I think I had that M.A.S.K. toy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From a comment one of the devs left, it sounds like the scaling is partly intentional to allow lower levelled players to play with higher level ones. The question then is, does he mean they've made all grinding in their PvE grind game meaningless by design?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

Mechanics can either be correct, in that the numbers you read matter, or wrong, in that the numbers you read are lies.

Building level scaling is either going to be based on the level of the area (correct but can gate content) or the player (wrong but allows full freedom). In a game with inconsistent drop power, the player's power level is either actual numbers (correct but can require grinding) or some holistic attribute based on abstract gear efficacy (wrong but no grind). Finally, the level scaling can be static (correct but if a player's power level changes they'll either find it easier or harder) or dynamic (wrong but the player is never too strong or too weak).

Sounds like Anthem picked the wrong option at least two times in a row. Diablo II, for reference, is correct in all cases and suffers for it.

Yeah but having empty slots just not count at all for power scaling instead of counting as 0 is beyond wrong and straight into incorrect.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's what prototyping stages are for.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Triarii posted:

Man that would be nice but in my experience, publishers are running focus tests and asking for sweeping changes based on the results right up to like a month before launch.

Yes, the process being used in game development is bad. That's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So Warframe recently improved its melee flow a bit by giving some travel to your melee slams. Jump, aim down within a relatively narrow cone below you, hit the melee button and you'll slam into the ground, and now if you're aiming away from yourself you can get a few meters travel distance, depending on the terrain and how high you are.

Or you can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HMBoXi1Yo