Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

I love this, it reminds me of doing moveset swaps in Street Fighter IV to make everyone Zangief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hLVjNCfwk

I had a look at my old youtube videos while I was grabbing that and found some minor thread content that didn't require messing with the game's files; a locker right at the start of the horrible game Chrome: Specforce which will kill you if you run into it because it clips into your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGUshQGKvZM

frankly though, there aren't many parts of that game that wouldn't qualify for this thread. the first time I tried to play through it, I hit MULTIPLE bugs that made stages completely impossible to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Yet another different game, still the same bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFLYk1k9UE

Please excuse how horrible, blurry and dark everything looks, Crysis 2 was just like that and it is not a bug :cripes:

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
Yeah, with stuff like that, all you really know to begin with is that A Behaviour is happening, and that something is causing it, which is not really enough to determine the actual problem. I wouldn't be too surprised if they started searching by literally just breaking if an ally goes too high as you suggested, but that only gets you so far, and you definitely can't write a fix based on that alone. Generally if your fix for the bad behaviour is to make something else happen when that behaviour happens, you're writing a hack, not an actual fix. You've gotta get to the actual root cause, which is tricky without some great evidence like, for example, a character climbing an invisible ladder in the background of a conversation, to tip off that it's a specific interaction or system. Actually getting that evidence depends pretty heavily on how complex the engine and game are, how rare the behaviour is, how good your debugging tools are, etc etc.

Game dev is utterly packed with weird pitfalls, though that example is especially, especially wack. I feel their pain, as I am personally very paranoid about the concept of "pause the game but not everything pauses because you forgot to handle time stopping in some system somewhere" and have gone to great lengths to avoid such a thing happening in my own engine. I had a nightmare about this concept once, feel free to mock me

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/xenon-death-flash-a-free-physics-lesson/

This was also in the replies, it's not a game, but the fact that some Raspberry Pis will crash if you take a flash photo of them with a xenon flash is pretty dang amusing

Also, I bring tidings with my post, I found a small folder full of screenshots from around ~2008-2012 from a bunch of places and put them in an imgur album a little while ago, which I feel like you guys might enjoy

(the last two are mine, the last one is extremely mine)

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah I meant breakpoint, not cap lol. For the uninitiated, it allows you to use a debugger to inspect the callstack and see what everything looks like at that point in time. Then you can step through it one by one or change a value or whatever you want.

So if your breakpoint tells you its height is now too high, you check the callstack for which functions were called to cause the height variable to rise, and see that it's npc.interact(FurnitureLadder, climb) or something. It wouldn't tell you why it was climbing, but now you could set a breakpoint on the npc climb function and see when and why that is called and so on, instead of just going "welp idk ship it"

Yeah that's fair, I thought you meant like, hit a breakpoint and then sniff around where it broke, for some reason? I have no idea why my brain didn't even think of the call stack, I use it very regularly??

There's a whole number of ways that stuff like that can get obscured, especially if you've got loads of systems touching each other, but yeah, you're right, debugging well with good tools helps. I dunno how robust UE4 debugging is, I'm a custom engine kinda lady, but I'd hope it's good enough for effectively what you suggested.

marshmallow creep posted:

Has anyone posted the latest Fallout 76 bugs, because lol that reloading your gun makes you lose over a hundred points of armor value.

I'm starting to believe that Fallout 76 is Bethesda's weird psyop attempt at getting in on the outrage (or absurdity) market by intentionally making the shittiest, most broken game possible, in the hopes that people will buy it to see how lovely and broken it is. Like they're bad, but they're not THIS goddamn incapable, usually, mostly. Stuff like all the networking being plaintext is stupid to the point of absurdity, I don't understand how any major dev could manage that. I almost bought it when I heard that just because the barrier to entry for utterly breaking it over my knee for my own amusement at that point is 0

I'm just imagining todd howard sitting at his desk throwing a set of those sexy bedroom ideas dice, but modified to be horrible game ideas, and they land on "GUNS", "DESTROY OWN" and "ARMOR"

We've already got companies doing stuff like putting out ads specifically in the hopes of making people angry, and this is just one step further when you already have the tools and a huge asset base. There's juuuust enough effort that it's not just an asset flip, they even avoided as much work as possible by doing literally no writing, no(?) voice acting, and by making the world as barebones as possible!

:tinfoil:

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Elfface posted:

If it is 'bad on purpose' then it failed in a way wwe2k20 succeeded.

true

https://twitter.com/ApekzYT/status/1203413007822467074

https://twitter.com/TheEnduringIcon/status/1204864263870914561

Never tire of dudes having intense boneitis out of nowhere

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Neito posted:

Might've been this thread, but I think I heard a story about a guy who created something who, whenever you attempted to interact with it in any way, would make two more of itself, and eventually it like, overwrote some importan admin thing or something and rear end-hosed the server until ti got rebooted.

you might be thinking of the fractal sandwich, aka the crashwich, which doesn't involve the object copying itself, but does involve putting food into food many, many times over to create a sandwich with a name so long that the server breaks

even if you're not, I'm posting it

Angry Diplomat posted:

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN.

:allears: what a beautiful game

(also there's a couple more stories in that post and a few more a couple of posts down the thread from there)

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Dec 23, 2019

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiH3A3nSPK4

this will always and forever be my favourite skyrim video

it's just so perfect

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

stuffed crust punk posted:

the thing that drives me nuts and seems to keep happening over and over again is game logic is tied to framerate. the dark souls pc port had something like double damage or double weapon degradation or something when people modded it to run at 60fps because it determined those things by the number of frames where a weapon intersected with a target or some poo poo like that. I make loving phone apps and I'd be fired for putting business logic values in the ui

So for clarification's sake, this was Dark Souls 2, no mods involved, and it was kinda dumber than most people actually remember so gently caress it here's a PYF hyperspecific knowledge post about :darksouls: framerate jank

Weapon degradation had 2 issues, First was, yeah, that it would constantly apply damage to the weapon as long as the weapon was inside an enemy's hitbox. A few weapons like the Dragon's Tooth were slightly disadvantaged due to having slam attacks and stuff like that, which would have your weapon sitting in the enemy for a while. This might have been fully intentional, god knows, if it was it's a horrible idea

Second was the framerate issue, durability damage was technically not tied to FPS in the normal sense. At 40 FPS or below it would act normally, durability would drain at the correct, same rate regardless of framerate, though still for the entire time it's inside an enemy. At 41 FPS or above, the amount of durability damage doubles. Just like, jumps up. I don't think it was fixed until several patches into Scholar of the First Sin, and it wasn't actually fixed as much as it was changed so that it only does slightly more durability damage while over 40 fps. On top of that, over 40 FPS your ripostes do extra damage in both versions. I have no idea why any of this is the case! :confuoot:

Dark Souls 1 ran at 30 FPS out the box, and it hit that 30 FPS like a goddamn champion (for most people at least). It was a fantastic port apart from a lack of graphical options, which was dealt with by DSFix within like a week of the game's release.

You could double the FPS cap with DSFix, and if you did, the game became very thread appropriate. 60 FPS was fine enough if you were running around on flat ground or just fighting skellingtons, but it'd sporadically cause weird issues that'd kramer you through a solid wall or floor. Sliding down ladders would shoot you through the floor. Your jump distance was nerfed, to the point that you actually couldn't make several important jumps, and it shortened your roll distance slightly. There were a lot of tiny little effects on how the game worked in regards to movement and physics, a good deal of them being very deadly. It was a neat hack but really not really usable. LobosJr actually streamed the game at 60 FPS as a challenge speedrun for a little while, it introduced that much new jank.

looks buttery smooth though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTlJ-_qi-I

Basically, what Dabir said, Dark Souls 1 was a lovely port. Dark Souls 2 has absolutely no excuse, and in fact goes out of its way to be programmed in a very specifically weird and dumb way

3 and Remastered run at 60 and supposedly use a fixed timestep, so if the framerate drops, time slows down. I dunno if that's true, I barely played 3 and didn't buy remastered. I hope twitter was wrong about games for the absolute first time ever

also, while I'm here, here's some "art" my engine produced while I had FXAA implemented wrong, I dunno why it turns everything into a broken monitor but this is now a feature

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Nuebot posted:

From what I remember, and this might be wrong, it wasn't intended. However, when they were making the 60FPS port for the scholar edition they deliberately kept it, and some of the other durability jank, in. So in the end scholar's durability isn't as bad as the base game's "lol you hit two guys and now your weapon breaks instantly" cavalcade of shame, but it includes all of those lovely features by default because the dev team genuinely seemed to like them.

I'm one of the biggest defenders of Dark Souls 2 as the best souls game, but the durability poo poo was extremely pointless and basically just served to gently caress over certain play styles (heavy weapons) and bad players, while annoying everyone else who had to repair their weapons every other encounter. See also: that one ring which was basically the best ring in the game bad had like, what, 10 durability? So getting hit at all would send it into "at risk" status right away.

I wouldn't be shocked if that's dead on, shame though, I probably would have bought Scholar if it had fixed that and made a few other decent changes, but at the time it seemed like all the changes were kinda asinine so I never bothered. I'll also defend 2 forever, or at least large parts of it, but some of the mechanic changes seem a questionable in hindsight, durability being one of the big ones.

Also yeah, you guys are right, it being corpse-related is ringing all sorts of bells. I don't recall katanas being particularly bad durability-wise in DS1, I used them a lot and don't think I had to repair much more than other weapons, but honestly the DS1 durability system is barely a thing (which is probably why they changed it so hard in 2 honestly) and extremely forgettable. They do clip through and spark off the wall a lot though, so if that does durability damage then I believe it immediately.

Elfface posted:

That face needs to be someone's avatar.

I'd be delighted to see my dumb broken programmer art half-trump child next to someone's posts

I'm thinking of getting huge prints for my party basement walls

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Zoig posted:

Mind if i make use of it then? Im clearly in need of a better av and that face makes me chuckle.

Go nuts, I'd be honored!

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, it was a thing. Clipping damage is a mechanic in all of the Souls games, but it's minor enough to usually not matter much. It's only relevant because on top of the animation-related clipping damage, katanas were also the least durable weapons in the game just in terms of numbers. There was even a special durability-enhancing ring you were sort of soft-intended to combine with katanas in order to increase their usable lifespan between bonfires, but durability dropped so slowly in general that it was barely even a concern regardless.

Then they massively overshot the mark in Dark Souls 2 trying to correct for that and finally found something of a more happy middle ground again for Dark Souls 3.

Yeah, fair enough. The only katana I associate automatically with wack durability is the Washing Pole and that always just seemed like part of its gimmick, guess it makes sense considering it clips through all the walls, all the time. The Uchigatana was my workhorse though, strong and reliable.

Dark Souls: Time to Reinstall Edition

I grew up with a giant wooden box CRT that only did 50 hz, had no remote (just big clicky buttons on the front), and a single SCART input. 60hz was the "turn everything black and white and fuzzy" option until I was like 16 D: It wasn't actually a big deal until my brother saved up for a modded PS1 and imported a copy of NTSC-J Budokai, which we still tried to play while pestering mum for a better TV.

even now my knee jerk reaction to a 50/60 hz selection screen is to go with 50 just in case, even though every TV in my house can definitely do 60.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Regalingualius posted:

Technically not glitching, but this tool-assisted speedrun of Family Feud from the SNES is still a real treat.

Those NES Family Feud/Jeopardy/etc games are amazing, the pattern matching for answers is very obviously broken as all hell

I don't think I'll ever forget the first time my brother and I decided to try NES Jeopardy. We were both around 12 years old, and we're Australian, so a good chunk of the questions were completely alien to us, on topics and celebrities we'd literally never heard of. Eventually it gave us a question where the answer was, in hindsight, probably meant to be "Mister Rogers", but I couldn't remember his name, the timer was pressuring me, the controls sucked, and I didn't know what to do, so I entered "W MISTER PEDO"

Ding! Correct answer! :thunk:

mysterious frankie posted:

it sorta looks like when a power transformer goes up, except usually the flash doesn't become a permanent aspect of the environment.

good to know I wasn't the only one to immediately think "wow I've never seen a substation explode realistically in a game before"

looks like it's stacking poo poo-tons of sprites used for distant lighting and the bloom is having a great time with it. it's very neat looking, whatever it is

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think what it's doing is that it's essentially only looking to see if the letters are there, in order, and ignoring superfluous details like "all the other letters in between the right ones".

Yer, that was the logic that held in my mind for the longest time, but I'm like 99% sure I've both seen answers that don't match that logic and answers that are shorter than the correct answer being treated as correct, so god only knows. I honestly suspect it might be similar to that, but order doesn't actually matter and you don't need 100% of the characters, lol. It seems to have some kinda leeway for spelling mistakes and stuff too.

wonder how hard it'd be to reverse engineer, could be a fun project and "W MISTER PEDO" has been amusing me for like 16 years

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Der Kyhe posted:

Raytracing is probably the least effective way to make anything algorithm-wise for live 3D graphics; it looks cool on still images because it literally models how light particles work, but absolutely murders anything real time that is beyond resolution of a potato-based system.

This has been a know issue in computer science since the 90's, so 30 years later here we are with the general public.

To add to what Minnesota Mixup said, 30 years ago no one was expecting consumer video cards to have over 1000 cores, let alone any cores dedicated to approximate raytracing, or denoising and upscaling algorithms for the output of that raytracing. Hell, 20 years ago all you really had was vertex buffers, textures, and if you're feeling fancy, hardware handling of simple lighting and a few kinds of light-related mapping. Less than a decade later, we had shaders, realtime dynamic lighting capable of interacting with transparencies, hardware tessellation and handling of displacement mapping, etc. I still remember when Oblivion had HDR lighting and that was just about the sickest thing ever, even if you couldn't have it enabled alongside anti-aliasing.

We have come an astonishingly long way in terms of realtime graphics, and realtime raytracing really is here. It's not a scam, even if it does cost like 2 grand to make ~5 AAA titles (and Minecraft/Quake II) look really nice. Even if a lot of cheating is going on to achieve it, it's still better looking and more accurate than more or less any other method out there for lighting and reflections, and Nvidia has made it surprisingly easy to implement.

Cardiovorax posted:

Do you mean that literally, as in, it would actually be possible to simulate a double-slit experiment with a raytracing engine? Because then I think I really haven't been giving the technology the credit it deserves.

Unfortunately, no, not really. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that experiment works due to light having a frequency and being sort of wave-like, which absolutely isn't simulated in computer graphics. To raycasting engines, light is a straight, simple line.

e: actually, poo poo, I guess you could, but it'd take a very specialized renderer, likely be many magnitudes slower than even normal raytracing, and god (or at least someone much, much smarter than me) knows how you'd even implement it.

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 28, 2020

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then. Yeah, it's definitely something you can simulate, but it would've really surprised me to hear that raytracing actually does that. The whole "it literally models how light particles work" phrasing just made me wonder.

Yeah, slightly confusing wording, though not super incorrect. Like all computer graphics, raytracing is an ocean of approximations. A bunch of photons in a row IRL could be considered a ray of particles, for example, but it'd be oustandingly slow to model every single particle and pointless because they're moving so fast, so a line through space it is. Gets the job done at 1/1,000,000th of the cost, is accurate enough 99% of the time, and we're closing that 1% gap really slowly with cool stuff like subsurface scattering, which is also approximate but good enough to be like "drat that floating bald keanu head looks like real life".

RandomFerret posted:

If you wanted to accurately simulate the way light works down to the individual photons using a physics engine, you'd need to model it that it works as a particle, but then hack it to work like a waveform to make different colours and frequencies.

That would work 99.999% of the time, you'd only have a problem if a player looked really, really closely and tried to catch it acting like both at the same tiMOTHERFUCKER IS THIS HOW I FIND OUT I'M LIVING IN A SIMULATION

my condolences

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The issue isn't hitting the maximum value for a float64, it's that floats don't provide continuous coverage of the number line, and that coverage gets spottier and spottier the further you get from 0. So if you have a large value X that can be represented with float64s, and you add a small acceleration Y to it, you get a speed of X back, because (X+Y) is closer to X than it is to the next representable float64 value.

For reference, (c in meters per second) / (maximum value represented by a float64) is about 1e-300, so I recommend using units of "planck units per lifetimes of the universe".

And for a visual representation of this, here's a clip of Mario falling for so long that all the Y-axis values relating to the camera's movement, Mario's movement, and basically all the 3D graphics get way hosed up. He becomes blocky in a vertical way specifically because his vertices are "snapping" to those little skips between values. As stated, closer to the zero point of a float there's a lot more actual possible values between, say, 1.0 and 2.0, but out at like 100000.0 where Mario is, most of the precision is lost. Because of this, the Y position of his vertices also lose massive amounts of precision. The same thing would happen in a slightly different, more horizontally glitchy way if this dude were to use hacks to fly Mario in a straight line for a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s6_pAXK7hE

computers are neat

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
^^ yep, pretty much, if you want to kinda play around with how floats actually work in memory, have a go at float toy

Captain Hygiene posted:

God I love glitches like this, I always forget why they happen. Some of the later environmental stuff in this one is legitimately unsettling, as is Mario devolving into a small pile of anguished pixels.

Aesthetically it's definitely one of my faves

I just spent a little bit messing around with forcing this to happen in my own engine and man, if it wasn't effectively a seizure waiting to be caused, I'd love to implement this as some sort of graphical effect. Just force everything in the world to render at +1.11726E+07 on every axis and let the hellscape begin type stuff

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Aug 29, 2020

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
Not to be a pedant but what you just described as raytracing is raycasting, and what you described as path tracing is raytracing. Raytracing is simulating photons firing out of lights and bouncing around, illuminating where they hit. It's slow and old and mostly for rendering that isn't realtime. Raycasting is the ancient stuff, Doom's graphics use raycasting, firing rays from the camera to find solids. Raymarching is VERY cool but only truly useful for graphics written using algorithms.

Path tracing is a sort of combination of raycasting and raytracing, using rays fired from the camera to test where they hit and find lighting averages in a very neat way. It's pretty efficient, works great without much code, and it straight up naturally simulates a lot of effects that would normally take extremely complicated shaders, without any actual effort put into writing code to do so. Here's a video that I love a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLwRLS_ZR0

A lot of people do use raytracing as a blanket term though, and I can see why NVidia went with it, it's recognizable if you like computers enough to be buying a GPU over a grand

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

That's all fair enough. In hindsight that was very semantic of me and kinda general and weird, as well as being not my wheelhouse and mostly osmosed definitions from learning about regular realtime 3D. Probably should have just not, my apologies.

Also, big agree. It's a drat shame that PCSX2 doesn't have a built-in camera unlock.

I'm clearing out my Death Stranding recordings and found this, it's probably the weirdest unintended thing I've seen (apart from the trikes) in 70+ hours, which is a little bit impressive
https://i.imgur.com/1TGxTMu.mp4

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
oh man, I really miss bind mouse4 "vocalize playerdeath"

my old Logitech MX518 mouse has a broken side button from mashing it constantly for a couple of months while that was a thing

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

credburn posted:

Hey, can I ask, what does the skull mean, in the text at the top?

I've been seeing more and more videos that have some text and then a skull at the end, and these videos I'm watching have nothing in common.

"I am dead, as this thing is so funny that it has killed me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Captain Hygiene posted:

I almost posted this, but I was afraid I'd be wrong. Looks like I still know what's going on after all. Checkmate, kids these days :smugdog:

I know a guy who often just says "I'm dead" instead of "lol" or whatever and uses skull emoji reacts in discord, and I still went and googled "skull emoji im dead" lol

also, just realized I have mild content from a recent Rocksmith sesh- my score was 99.8% before this, I got 99.8% again, hit enter... 99.7% :negative: give me my .1% goddammit, I clawed that from the grasp of the imperfect note detection and I want it back

https://i.imgur.com/JbOxkzZ.mp4