Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

xlanciferionx posted:

In the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun, if you had a high enough negotiation skill, you could buy body armor, and sell it back to the same guy for more than you bought it for at the crime mall.
You could do this with everything in Fallout 1. Walk into a shop with a single lovely knife, leave with everything but the knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There's an lp in the archive of Chorocojo thoroughly breaking Pokemon Blue in every way possible. It's a pretty fun read. He uses tools to speed up the process, but supposedly most of what he does can be reproduced with an undamaged copy of the game.
Why are you attributing it to Chorocojo when it says it's by Metroixer right up at the top of the page you linked? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

All that messing around spitting stuff all over the place and glitching question mark blocks was to input the machine code for those simple Pong and Snake games. Check the description and spongeh's link for a more technically precise explanation.
I think it was to actually get the game into a state that controller input is overwriting the actual game code, and then that is used to write the Pong and Snake games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MiketheGreat posted:

Every glitch video ever would be made so much better if YouTube outlawed the practice of "some guy laughing hysterically over the game's sound"
Here's a bunch of Sonic 2006 glitches without anybody yelling over it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Overminty posted:

Pretty much everything HelixSnake does is a glitch right?

Or gratuitously injuring his character.

Usually both.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

An important part of the Corrupted Blood thing was that there were lots of NPCs, who could easily survive the debuff, standing in infection range of each other in the capital cities. So it wasn't "and then everybody died and respawned and went on their merry way until somebody did it again", the city was ruined until the GMs came in to fix it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Forgall posted:

That's also good*, but here it's even funnier because the last ring he has just keeps bouncing off the wall too and being reabsorbed, and he eventually escapes.

*bad

I'm almost entirely certain that if you hi the right wall at the right angle with this that ends up looping forever.

Truly, it is no use.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Speaking of TAS glitching, here's a speedrun of Mega Man that's just... magical. It starts off tamely enough, but by the end the world is shattered beyond repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lnogpRPvY4

If this is the one I think it is, make sure to watch the credits. They're magical. :allears:

Suspicious Cook posted:

SCUBA DIVER BUT BETTER always makes me laugh.
I'm a fan of ABRACADABRA I WIN myself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pneub posted:

Too long for my tastes. THIS is more like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDdLJjepZI
If we're going into even faster ways to end games....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7lVsiP_cw

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chamale posted:

Yes, that's how luck-manipulation works. All videogames have a random-number generator that creates random numbers based on some seed, like recent button presses or perhaps the current time. By using savestates to repeatedly test different seeds, it's possible to find a set of inputs that leads to exactly the outcome you want from the RNG.
Consoles without a built-in clock don't actually have anything to base a different seed off of, so it's pretty much down to time and player input for changing it. I think most of the King's Bounty TAS is waiting for the RNG to line up with "Scepter is under the player's starting position". This is why TASes in general work, in fact: If you feed the emulator (and in some cases, a console) the same input, it'll always spit out the same results.

(TAses for PC games or later consoles have to include the starting conditions of the clock and such to remain consistent, of course.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chamale posted:

Yes, but some games on consoles without an inbuilt clock still base the RNG on time since the console was turned on. I made the single-player and two-player TASes of River City Ransom, and manipulating luck in that game is tough because it's largely based on the current frame count. Often the delay from luck-manipulating a minor event is longer than actually manipulating that. Manipulating AIs is slightly different, because they are based on certain factors, but the way an AI reacts can vary so dramatically. One of my favourite tricks in River City Ransom is to stand just within vertical range of an AI, so that moving downwards for a single frame right before an AI makes a decision can cause it to make a different decision. You can see this quite a bit in how the single-player run manipulates the AI to damage itself, since the player character is so weak relative to late-game bosses.
Yes, I was sayign that they use the same seed. Also, congrats, those are some nice TASes.

Speaking of glitches and going fast...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGkTiIVy0Fc

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hihohe posted:

http://youtu.be/O3Jb3A0HLe4
If you only like the analyzing of this lovely game only watch the first 6 minutes
That is impressively sloppy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

Nah, the Launch pod ending. It ends really abruptly and people aren't sure if it was bugged or not.
Didn't somebody crack open the code and find that that part was trying to play sound files that weren't actually there?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sometimes physics is a dick to racecars!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wE5ckUBEk0

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aristophanes posted:

Reading about all the cool cut content still (somewhat) accessible in games makes one of my favourite TV Tropes pages: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DummiedOut

Try http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor for a wiki entirely about that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ratspeaker posted:

Looks like you can still get it for $8 as a basic sale. If they had it as a flash/daily for cheaper, it'll definitely pop up for that price again by the end of the sale. This is going right on my list of super-cool-looking indie games that I stick in my inventory and then never play :allears:
It was a community vote.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Seriously. Who in the world would find a glitch that great then waste the screenshot on a model that's only like 1.2 times the size of the normal one.
Because getting on a chocobo again resets your size to normal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

General Specific posted:

If one of these guys discovers he's living in the Matrix, we'll be set free in about a week.
You do realize these things involve a lot of experimentation too? Especially if you can't examine a code dump.

We'd all be dead or trapped in horrible glitchy hells in a week.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

As far as I understand it, they are indeed programming them pixel by pixel (more accurately, byte by byte). A snes controller has 10 buttons (4 directions, A/B/X/Y and start/select). If you use all 4 ports, and you can press any combination of the buttons you like, you can enter 10 x 4 = 40 bits per input frame. Now, what they do, first they program in a simple bootstrap program that does nothing but copy code from the controllers into memory. Then, instead of SNES controllers, they plug in a sort of serial port dealie that directly sends the bits corresponding to any button presses into the controller ports. It's literally streaming data through the controller ports at that point.

If that 40 bits per frame number is right, and SNES has 60 input frames per second (I think that's right), you can put in 300 bytes per second. The original Super Mario Bros was a 40 kilobyte cartridge, so it would take around 133 seconds or just over 2 minutes to program the entire game into the SNES memory at full speed.
In the video it went faster than that, so I'm guessing they used some kind of compression or somehow left out useless sections of data from the NES cartridge.
Were they using genuine NES graphics or were they re-using anything from the existing stuff?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have no idea. All I heard them say is that they used the sounds from the SNES Super Mario All-Stars version of SMB because that was easier or those were already in there or something.
I'd expect them to use the graphics from it too then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now that I think about it, and this serves as more of a glitch, one time the merchants showed up with a Large. It wasn't a large anything, just a regular ol' Large. I bought it and built a fancy meeting hall around it. It was a pretty good Large.
I think it was a Large <No Gem Type Found>.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure it displayed as a "Large " rather than a "Large". The space is important.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kikas posted:

So, there is a bug in the PC version of Phantom Pain that lets you customize weapons in way you shouldn't be able to. It allows you to create some funny looking guns:

but the absolute best part is when you do it, Big Boss tends to get kinda lost on how to reload the gun. Behold
okay tell me how to do that

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

duckfarts posted:

did they fix the mgsv weapon customization bug already?
:negative:
Yep, and I learned to my surprise that I was using it for a couple of silencers. :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm guessing you're off by a decimal point, and much like resources/harvested plants, you can store GMP in excess of the normal 5,000k limit in your online FOB.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It doesn't appear to have fixed existing customized weapons, though. I have a rubber-bullet firing SMG with a silencer I can't put on it anymore.

So people who already have bullshit like a shotgun-spread rocket launcher can apparently still use it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't even understand why I can't put a better silencer on the riot SMG. Guess I'm just gonna be using the level 4 version forever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Testekill posted:

And Elephants weren't dangerous due to a glitch, it was because size used to give combat bonuses in extra damage and damage resistance and they were the biggest creature in the game.
Them being hyperaggressive was a glitch though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't live in america and you missed all the fallout over the international pricing.
:haw:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nuebot posted:

I have a whole town of fenced in naked people guarded by vaguely hostile rogue sentries. Which is also a glitch, there's one town that has defensive sentries already placed except they don't get counted as the town's defenses when you take over and if you place your own turrets they'll shoot it to death super fast.
Can they see the turrets if they're completely enclosed?

Becuase having enough Defense wll keep raiders and such from attacking at all, so a tower full of turrets which can't see out or anything seems like it should do the job just fine.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

I just managed to attack myself in Oblivion by fumbling the keys while unmounting a horse. The game decided I was simultaneously in first and third person views and both on and off the horse. Therefore, the Paralyze on Touch spell I cast should obviously target myself. However, I was in the middle of the dismount animation, so the spell did not paralyze me.

Instead, it made me invisible. Permanently. I had to quit out of the game for my body to return from its vacation to the planes of Oblivion.

Oh, I also got kicked out of the Thieves Guild. You see, you aren't allowed attack members of the Thieves Guild while in the Thieves Guild yourself. I was a member of the Thieves Guild. Therefore, by attacking myself, I had attacked a member of the Thieves Guild and broken the rules. It was only the Thieves Guild; none of the other guilds gave a poo poo, nor did the guards, despite "don't attack people at random" being a pretty universal law in Elder Scrolls games.
I am impressed. :staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xythe posted:

Holy poo poo, it's crazy that a game would track there being alcohol on the floor, track that a cat walks over it and then gets what was on the floor on them, and then through grooming themselves ingest it. Does it track other things they could walk over?
Yes.

If your dwarves don't have shoes and a randomly-generated Forgotten Beast that has necrosis-inducing blood or sprays something necrosis-inducing was nearby they can have their feet rot off if they walk over the residue.

I think if they have open cuts on their feet and walk over a poison which needs to get inside rather than acts on skin contact that'll get them poisoned too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm loving me some JC3, but this happened today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19wVwX3-DI
In the launch version, I had a car I was in just abruptly vanish and found myself moving at high speed off to the side of the direction I was going before.

Sadly most of my glitches are of the "game just kinda locks up and I have to kill it" variety.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

I don't like this use of :xcom:.

To me :xcom: means "5 people miss 95% killshots on an enemy, who then wipes your whole squad." Outright bugs don't qualify :colbert:
I dunno, from what I've heard about XCOM 2, "that's xcom!" describes it being buggy as hell pretty well right now! :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Enemy Unknown also had a bug where, regardless of difficulty level chosen, it'd revert to the lowest difficulty. TFTD had the same, but opposite bug: it'd revert to the highest difficulty.
Actually, I thought Terror From The Deep didn't fix that or just didn't have it, but was balanced based on feedback from people who thought they were playing Enemy Unknown on the highest difficulty but were actually playing on the easiest possible difficulty, so they cranked absolutely everything way the gently caress up, did things like make it so most/all of your good or even decent weapons didn't work in terror missions (which were above water), etc etc?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

It's certainly possible, but my memory is "Same glitch, different direction in difficulty" rather than listening to the grognards. Could be wrong. :iiam:
There's a lot of fundamental design decisions like the "everything but pretty bad weapons doesn't work on land" that make things more difficult too. I don't have any references on hand either. :iiam:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Physics! :pseudo:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's so bizarre to me how they never quite got it to work that you pick up something up off the table and everything a foot away jumps.
I've been playing a skyrim mod recently and I'm not sure if it's something the mod did, but there's a decent chance that everything anywhere near a door while go flying all over the place when I open it.

Like including ones to leave a house/shop.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Car Boys is magnificent. It's like Monster Factory, but with cars and CPU-melting nega-physics.
I didn't think you were describing "CPU-melting nega-physics" correctly and then I got to episode 8.

:staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like that the game eventually starts going "you know what? No. No. This is unacceptable. It's broken and now we have to throw it all out. Are you happy? Is this what you wanted??" and just reverting everything to its default state.
Eventually even that breaks.

Busto 2.0 is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I love this video.