Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I know nothing about purposely glitching games, but the results are so absurd - is this on-purpose glitching a fairly recent thing?

Sort of. There are two factors at play:

1. The increased processing power of PCs and reverse-engineering has allowed people to build emulators with fully-controllable variables, allowing people to do things like the Super Mario 2 video where they intentionally sabotage the game's memory. The internet allowing collaboration on such projects has helped leaps and bounds, too.

2. This was touched on in the FF6 breaking LP: Cartridge storage sizes in the NES and SNES generation of games were incredibly limited, as were the resources of companies (most games today have more people doing the voices than there were working on the entire game back then), to the point where there weren't really any code checks for unexpected scenarios in games. Super Mario World is only half a megabyte in size, and even the biggest SNES game released in North America was only 4 megabytes.

Most of the recent generation of games, on the other hand, have code checks up the wazoo in the form of anti-piracy code and other things. This is due in part to the backlash from SimCopter's ending and GTA San Andreas' Hot Coffee scandal, so now game makers lock everything down very carefully (a friend of mine used to work for EA, and told me "you wouldn't believe the NDAs that I had to sign").

It's why none of the recent consoles have a Gameshark or equivalent, nor many options in the third-party controller department. Even if you could code one, odds are good that most attempts at hacking it to "see what crazy things would happen" would instead crash the game. The lack of checks back in those days resulted in the "gently caress it, we'll do it live" just-load-any-data-I-don't-care situations from that Mario 2 vid.

I could be mistaken, but I think most recent game glitches like the spinning heads in Gamebryo-based games and the weird hybrid creatures in Red Dead Redemption are a side effect of error correction attempts when reading game data straight from disc; I don't think they happen on PC or in situations where the game is running from the hard drive, and will probably happen less if the next generation of consoles installs the game code to the built-in hard drive, where read errors are far less likely. Having said that, no amount of playtesting will find every bug in a game, no matter how simple. Online communities like the tool-assisted speedrunners continue to find bugs and exploits in Super Mario 1 and the rest of the "classic" console games to this day.

univbee has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jul 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

If someone wants me to post an in-depth explanation, I could probably post one.

I'd be interested, even if just by PM.