Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Christoph posted:

Skyrim's Louis Letrush doesn't just perform mitosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxtmYRkLOk

I love how even the bear seems a little taken aback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkozVf-Mz0

God, Jesus Christ Denton, and the Holy Ghost Simons.

Where is this taking place in the game? I don't recognize the area at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brother Jonathan posted:

Publishers used to put "cheat codes" in games that let one mess with the physics and gameplay. Example: Minority Report: Everybody Runs (2002). I wish that they still did that.

This was one of the (very few) good things about Enter the Matrix, it did this in a really clever and appropriate way. You could bring up a command line and literally hack into the game to enable invulnerability or whatever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if I'm playing AC3 wrong or just not for long enough; it hasn't been very glitchy for me at all. The parkour is slightly less smooth than the previous titles, and once the camera got stuck looking at the ground after petting a cat (and corrected itself a few seconds later), but from reading these threads I should be expecting The Elder Scrolls: New England.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As for why the thrashing happens, it's usually when the object is subject to two mutually exclusive constraints. The body is not allowed to penetrate the wall but it's also not allowed to have its limbs bend further than a certain angle and it can't break into pieces or cave in like a real object can, so Havok has no good way to resolve the situation. It'll try for the least wrong solution it can find, but doing so in one frame just changes the situation slightly and next frame it'll have a slightly different guess at what's least wrong.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone ever figure out why Louis Letrush specifically is so much more prone to glitches than any other named NPC?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not just games that can have hilarious AI screwups. In one of the first tests of Massive, the battle simulator Weta developed for the LOTR movies, as soon as the two armies got a good look at each other they both spun around and ran for the hills and the battle didnt happen at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2house2fly posted:

I'm not certain, but I think for me it's the absurdity of a piece of media designed to be an immersive experience having completely immersion-breaking insane things happening. Imagine a movie or documentary where a bunch of knights leap about the battlefield like the Hulk, flailing at each other and screaming in terror the whole time. Or where two characters have a conversation that looks like this, or the hero fights a sabre-tooth tiger and then watches baffled as it soars majestically into space. Of course that doesn't really explain why I laugh at the SNES ones as well. All I know is that I laugh, really.

All humor is really a violation of expectation when you get down to it. This is the interactive equivalent of a record scratch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not as much fun (or as frustrating) as the gnome achievement in Episode 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In The Last Of Us, when you're hiding in cover the AI cannot see your NPC partners- but they can still collide with them. I just spent 45 seconds watching a guy trying to walk through a doorway, not realizing that he was making no progress because Ellie was crouching in his way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you have no control over the NPCs, so if the enemies could see them the stealth system would be completely broken. I totally understand why they set it up like that and agree with the decision but its still kinda funny to catch in a no-win scenario.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The mindset that every single moment of the game must be carefully designed, verified, polished, and approved by the creative team makes that sort of thing nearly impossible. No one has the confidence to create interdependent feedback systems and just let 'er rip because if the game does something dumb or frustrating of its own accord they believe it reflects badly on them and their future sales.

Of course, the problem with the games that do take that approach is that they become way more fun to read about than actually play.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deus Ex Invisible War used the same engine, and had its own share of hilarious bugs. In the first level, you were given no weapons, so upon your first meeting with a certain plot-critical NPC you had no way to directly harm her. However, you could move her around by walking into her, which meant that you could gradually push her down the hall and into the shower in your dormitory. For some reason, taking a shower did her a very small amount of damage, so you could kill her with the shower ahead of schedule. This was funny as hell until a few levels later, when her absence made the game scripts completely poo poo themselves and now your save is useless.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone told me once that the Nintendo cert process now includes handling physically impossible inputs like that, because they once got a complaint from some kid who broke his controller in such a way that it produced such inputs and it made his games malfunction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wow, they sure changed a lot for the HD Myst remake.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not technically a glitch, but I loved the deliberate use of reference pose in Saint's Row 4. It's a great meta-joke on the player's knowledge of the medium.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Congratulations, you guys have remade Saints Row 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

There's a point in MGS2 where it tries to trick you into shutting off the console. It's pretty mean.

Eternal Darkness can do a dead-on simulation of a CRT powering off. It will also turn down your volume (complete with onscreen indicator), pretend your controller is disconnected, and suddenly pop up a message that says "Thanks for playing the demo!"

It was really the king of this kind of messing with your head, and no one else is going to dethrone it because Nintendo patented that idea.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Games in which the main adversary is physics have been around for decades, certainly since The Incredible Machine and probably earlier.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pneub posted:

What does this do?

It looks like it lets you do more actions on your turn than you're supposed to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it's like most games each character plays several overlapping animations at once. So he's using the "intently listening" animation for his face, the "look at speaker" animation for his neck, and the "pole dance" animation for his body rather than whatever he's supposed to be doing in that scene.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Bishop posted:

Goddamn, that's got to be the best snowballing glitch narrative I've heard since the Corrupted Blood Plague. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know of any other incidents of status effects or whatever getting out of hand and becoming virtual epidemics in online games or is the Corrupted Blood one really the only time that's ever happened?

The Sims had (or possibly still has, I don't really follow that game) a similar problem where modded objects could spread like viruses through the house-sharing service.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best Skyrim glitch hands down is THE GODS KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure those glitches are super funny and amazing but all the popup text makes that video unwatchable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm goofing off at work with the sound turned off, so that does nothing for me (and I doubt it would even if I could hear it).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

carry on then posted:

Half-Life 2 does a similar thing with video screens in-game. For instance, in the first area you can walk around, if you noclip into the sky you can find the room where Dr. Breen's torso is addressing the camera, and dump Barney there.

In early Unreal-engine games the skybox worked the same way, and you could have a bunch of five-mile enemies patrolling around in the distance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shortly after starting out, I found myself in a cave with an angry bear many levels above me. I turn around and run away, hearing it right at my back, but quickly realize the bear isn't chasing me. It's still snarling, but it's spontaneously embedded itself in the ceiling with only its paws sticking out.

There used to be an entire separate thread just for Skyrim stories.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Sims 4: Eraserhead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

neogeo0823 posted:

This is great if you imagine the guy as some seriously pissed off dog.

rrrrrrrRRRRRRRARARAAGHRAGHRAGHRAGHFDHSGSFDHJGHDJERGNBIVEIBNIERNVNREURHGQRUIGHVBNV

I'm imagining that he sounds like the Angry Sphere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TZer0 posted:

A recent update for Verdun turned the water pink (magenta to be specific).

Fabulous. :gay:

Verdun 3: Blood Dragon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVU-EPWIqIg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dpbjinc posted:

With modern systems, you might not be able to rely on setting the time to seed the RNG. Some PRNG generators rely on environmental noise like system temperature, fan speed, and hard disk rotation to generate random numbers, which are for all intents and purposes impossible to replicate in the same combination.

If we're talking about TASes in virtualized or emulated environments, it should be possible to trap the system calls made to query those and feed in preset values.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The whole gif is gold but the driver's personal tidbit makes it platinum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another thing, also speaking from game dev experience- it's extremely difficult and risky to delete assets out of a project once they've been added. A particular file might look like it serves no purpose, but there's always a chance that something you overlooked depends on it and will break when it's gone.

This is also why games constantly ship with unfinished cut content in the package, it costs almost nothing to increase the file size a little bit and getting rid of it entails risk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At least one of those is deliberately induced with a mod, but they're all great. The Shepard one is amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like GTAV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mycot posted:

During Iron Bull's personal quest in Dragon Age: Inquisition, it's apparently possible for the quest NPC to die in the fight before the conversation starts. What happens is enormously awkward pauses, the camera veering off and focusing on random bits of scenery, and Iron Bull staring into the camera like he's Jim from The Office (at 00:50). (Spoilers for the whole quest.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSTEY1yTgNM

This is amazing. Dragon Age via Tarkovsky.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

larchesdanrew posted:

I was always a fan of that one superhero MMO where, when the servers shut down, everyone still logged in contorted and their heads went flying up their own butts. The last sight anyone saw from a gameplay perspective was a "Connecting..." window and a sea of heads up butts in the background.

it was The Matrix Online

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Then the ability to choose a segment under those circumstances is a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

God dammit I knew it was a bad idea to build this garage on an Indian burial ground