Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Finally finished up Dying Light after dozens of game breaking glitches. None were particularly funny, just stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTbUEU2IXs

It was a frustrating experience. So I decided to unwind with some more WWE 2k15. It's always been good to me before. What can go wro-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CtiUTzqE4Y

Oh.

Man I love the current console generation and being able to save video clips after poo poo like this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Croccers posted:

Eehh... the most annoying thing about the traffic is that they line up to turn WAY too early so you have the left lane blocked up for miles, but the center lane that can also be used to turn is empty.

Basically this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

A shameful ghoul.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I had a glitch happen in GTA IV during a chare mission where I clipped my vehicle on something just before an intersection and as I was trying to accelerate the slowest police cars in the world were trying stop me from tr ying to drive through the intersection. The police's speed was perfectly matched with my slow as hell car, they would have blocked me had I not, you know, accelerated.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

3 posted:

The whole thing, which is magical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Ki6Gx2Pgk

Wheany posted:

Man I love the current console generation and being able to save video clips after poo poo like this happens.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
That will result in a TAS where link will walk to different screens for a while, take some random damage, walk around bit more, then have the "It's dangerous to go alone" guy give him a piece of a bolder or something, Link using it, the screen glitching out and then triggering the end credits.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Fathis Munk posted:

Witcher 3 is a game with a good and working physics system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgB1G_L-OkQ

One of the highlights, the magical spider barrel : http://giant.gfycat.com/AcclaimedThankfulAnemonecrab.webm

Those seem like the engine calculates where an object would be if there were no obstacles, then applies force to the actual object that would move the object there, except now it considers collisions.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

reddit liker posted:

i really hope this hasn't been posted and if so i am sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwfMkCg36U

That's just the game working as intended, right?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Fathis Munk posted:

Didn't know Madden had a zombie mode, this fad is really pervasive.

I love how the commentators stop talking and the refs are just looking at it with their hands on their hips.

The cameramen all point their cameras somewhere across the field, not at the giant manpile next to them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

haveblue posted:

It's not a glitch, but there's one dagger in Skyrim that has like a 2% chance to instantly kill the target no matter how much health it has. This works on every killable entity in the game including the end boss.

In Final Fantasy Legend on Gameboy the end boss is Creator.

He can be one-shot with the weapon "Saw"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SpacePig posted:

Toe to tip. That's a Bart.

https://twitter.com/DisputablyEvan/status/693724309391409152

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Kikas posted:

I've had that kinda happen to me - in the second to last mission, if any of the remaining Archons used Blazing Pinions, they would nuke the enitre loving map, killing everyone on it. alien and xcom alike.

Also there's a frequent (well in my case 100%) bug with Stun Lancers who attack Rangers with Bladestorm, a skill that makes you attack people who enter your melee range before they strike you. I think it has to do something with the fact that the melee attack is like move and attack combined into one action.

It goes like this:
1) Stun Lancer rushes in to attack the Ranger
2) The attack connects or it doesn't, this is not a rule, but it mostly misses
3) The Ranger will go "oh poo poo I was supposed to attack him before he hit me I've got Bladestorm" and actually hit the Lancer with his own sword, even if they got stunned :psyduck:
[3.5 - The Rangers attack will destroy a completely random piece of terrain on the map - it can be literally anywhere in sight]

Now these steps will only happen if the Lancer has survived the counterattack.
4) The game will freeze in a bit of confused awkwardnes with the camera locked.
5) The Stun Lancer (who attacked in melee, and therefore his turn should be over) will REGAIN his whole turn, but starting at the square next to the Ranger.
6) Lancer runs for cover, 100% of the time flanking the Ranger
7) Shoots the Ranger in the face, most of the time critting due to flanks.

So basically while Bladestorm is a great skill to have, when it hits it refreshes Stun Lancers for some arbitrary reason. :xcom:
I don't like this use of :xcom:.

To me :xcom: means "5 people miss 95% killshots on an enemy, who then wipes your whole squad." Outright bugs don't qualify :colbert:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
May I suggest a new smiley for either Xcom or Firaxis along the lines of :dice:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Robindaybird posted:

I do wish the genre's more popular, competition would do it some good in forcing developers to better about squashing bugs, and just having more options would be good.

Me too. I like Xcom, but I'm not going to encourage releasing games as buggy as Xcom 2 sounds like. Even if the game is mostly playable, with only seldom crashes to desktop and only a few game breaking bugs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

President Ark posted:

you've never done any computer programming, have you

It's not that different from computer animation, right?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ChaosArgate posted:

If you didn't mention that you were in a tank, I'd have assumed you were talking about Mega Man 1, where you can prematurely end an enemy's i-frames by pausing with select, which doesn't clear the screen of your projectiles, so you can just mash select to quickly drain an enemy's health.

I think that's even required to get gold on some of the challenges in Mega Man Legacy Collection

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

beato posted:

Did that once with some friends at Uni we took it in shifts and set up some another TV to watch movies on and had some beers and snacks while we did it.

That's exactly how they do it irl too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
And also physics engines do
"oh no, items A and B intersect! If I move item A here and item B here, they are no longer intersect."
*next frame*
"Oh, I guess item A is moving to this direction (the moon) at this speed (escape velocity), so let's keep it moving into that direction"
*a few frames pass, item A hits the player character, player character is killed*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mods, please embed Ducktales: The Moon in this thread.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Triarii posted:

The most hosed up opinion I've seen all week

Same.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MisterBibs posted:

:agreed: ; it feels like every time someone mentions some super hosed up bug, their post history shows that a week ago they were listing the dozens of mods they do.

Hell, it's not limited to Bethesda games. I remember some Sims forum (the one by that jackass guy who made some big mod but wouldn't buy Sims 4 for some reason) having huge lists of things that would allegedly break the game whole, 100% of the time. I got a bit less neurotic playing it after ignoring the warnings to find, well, no major bugs or corruption.

I only install the most essential Quality-of-life mods.

Meaning realistic horse vaginas, of course.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Keru posted:

I'm slightly sad that doesn't cut into the Geddan song thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

I would have also accepted "Ducktales: The Moon" or "Shooting Stars"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Fix your game, Jake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G12VbClP67I&t=2286s

It keeps happening until 39:40 or thereabouts.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
This is rear end in a top hat Physics!

And this... is to go even further beyond!

I call it... rear end in a top hat VR!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
What you measure is what you'll get

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

break-up breakdown posted:

the guy behind that tetris one also did a youtube about his paper with his ai playing some games if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY

Yes, that is really interesting way of trying to make computers learn games.

Basically: you play the game on an emulator using a controller and the program observes the contents of the emulated RAM. The program then learns that when certain numbers at certain addresses go up, that's a good thing.

Then the program tries to maximise those numbers by using controller inputs. The program is able to reset the emulator to an earlier state to try to get around dead ends.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cardiovorax posted:

It's kind of a miracle that this ends up producing something at all functional as often as it does.

Which proves that software doesn't need need architecture or best practices. There is a shitload of software that mostly works ok and possibly even works better than whatever system it replaced. Mostly works ok meaning that people actually continue to use it in production. They might complain about it, but they keep using it.

As someone whose programming career has mostly been maintaining legacy code, it's part "holy poo poo software doesn't need to be this bad", part "nobody wants to improve anything because it works mostly ok and changing things might break something (also making changes costs money)." Also as a get-out-of-jail-free card, because people are so used to bad software, you can just go "computers, right? :v:"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"Resume" as in "resume playing the game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
PAL makes framerate slower, but it also gives you 20% more time per frame for game logic, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,