Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PaybackJack posted:

Anyone in Europe have any online game store recommendations that they use for shipping/ordering games? My Dice Tower secret santa is in Austria.

I've used magierspiele.de and tabletop-berlin.de

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bobfly posted:

Wow, thanks a bunch, you guys are great! Mice and mystics looks amazingly charming, and descent looks like all the good parts of advanced heroquest... Of course, the downside is, they both cost roughly 100$ (equiv.) around here... But, eh. It's nearly christmas!

Those online play sites for Dominion are also really interesting, though I'm not really comfortable with putting up a few laptops to play a card game during a social gathering, that seems to counteract the social aspect of it a little bit (but maybe I'm just a luddite). Maybe we should look into playing it via tablet or something, that seems like it'd be the good bits of the game without the bookkeeping.

There's no bookkeeping in Dominion, the setup/teardown is pretty minimal. People are just spoiled by playing it online.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, Dominion and its expansions are real easy and quick to set up, mostly thanks to its awesome box design for storing the cards. It takes a few minutes at most, and managing the cards as you play is less complex than a game of Euker.

Got to finally play Netrunner and see what the fuss was about. It's pretty drat awesome once it clicked. I won the first game as a hacker chick. Every run I did gained me an agenda. Randomly got one from corporations hand, two from their discard, and one from a remote server. Second game I lost as the virus hacker. I didn't get any money making engines so I couldn't really afford to use his virus cards, and I eventually lost out from attrition of the Corp scoring Agendas.

I think this game could easily be refined for multiple hackers going against a Corp player. I also think there could be a way to have the Corp play solo as well with a little work.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 13, 2012

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

There's no bookkeeping in Dominion, the setup/teardown is pretty minimal. People are just spoiled by playing it online.

Yeah, me and my group are up to base plus 4 expansions and its about 5 minutes between games max, depending on how you decide on cards. We played 8 games the other night in I think about 5 hours, with a break for dinner and some general putzing around.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

It's time for a new game to be bought. The ones I don't own but which are appealing to me right now are 7 Wonders, Lords of Waterdeep, and Libertalia, they all look the nice mix of theme, art and gameplay mechanics that we like.

Anyone have an opinion on which bets suits my needs? We're a small group, only hitting 5 maybe once or twice a year, and usually three players, but two players often enough that it should play "not terribly" with 2. From what I have read, that should rule 7 wonders out. DO you guys agree with that? We're mostly euro fans, and it's hard to get anything ATrash on the table at all, but none of those games seem trashy anyway.

Leaning towards Libertalia, because we don't have anything pirate themed after selling Merchants and Marauders recently, and we don't have anything that is primarily a card game. But if Libertalia is poor 2 player I'll happily plump for Waterdeep.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 13, 2012

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Funso Banjo posted:

It's time for a new game to be bought. The ones I don't own but which are appealing to me right now are 7 Wonders, Lords of Waterdeep, and Libertalia, they all look the nice mix of theme, art and gameplay mechanics that we like.

Anyone have an opinion on which bets suits my needs? We're a small group, only hitting 5 maybe once or twice a year, and usually three players, but two players often enough that it should play "not terribly" with 2. From what I have read, that should rule 7 wonders out. DO you guys agree with that? We're mostly euro fans, and it's hard to get anything ATrash on the table at all, but none of those games seem trashy anyway.

Leaning towards Libertalia, because we don't have anything pirate themed after selling Merchants and Marauders recently, and we don't have anything that is primarily a card game. But if Libertalia is poor 2 player I'll happily plump for Waterdeep.

Tooled around with Libertalia at GenCon with my coworkers, and it seems to need a minimum of three for the decisions to be interesting, or for the treasure pool to present you with any real options. On the other hand, I've played Waterdeep two player several times and enjoyed it. The game feels rather different with two--less resource/action scarcity, but more chances to predict your opponent's goals/needs and screw with their ability to complete quests.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah Libertalia two player was not a good experience, wouldn't recommend it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Carraway Effect posted:

I've played Waterdeep two player several times and enjoyed it. The game feels rather different with two--less resource/action scarcity, but more chances to predict your opponent's goals/needs and screw with their ability to complete quests.

I have a post a page or so back where I came to a similar conclusion. I think LoW would play very differently with 3+ than it does with 2 but would be a lot of fun either way.

I'll also mention that, as much as I love 7 Wonders, it's not a very good 2er IMO. You really need players to both your left and right and it plays even better with 4 or 5 than 3 (though 3 is fun).

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Thanks for the replies, makes it quite clear that only LoW would be of any use when we're a little under-manned. So that my decision made for me.

Really do want Libertalia though, everything about it looks great. I think that will be my purchase after this one, and it'll just come out for 3+ days.

This is a real weakness for me. I want games that I know, or am told, might not be suitable for me and my small group, but I want the good looking pieces, great board or intriguing mechanic, and end up spending money on something we'll end up playing rarely. It's horrible, I wish I could avoid it, it's like an addiction. And with European prices sometimes almost as much as double the US prices, it gets expensive fast.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 13, 2012

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Haha holy poo poo, spent the last three hours playing dominion on that laggy goko site.
Gotta convince my boardgaming peeps to pick this up!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 19, 2013

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Funso Banjo posted:

This is a real weakness for me. I want games that I know, or am told, might not be suitable for me and my small group, but I want the good looking pieces, great board or intriguing mechanic, and end up spending money on something we'll end up playing rarely. It's horrible, I wish I could avoid it, it's like an addiction. And with European prices sometimes almost as much as double the US prices, it gets expensive fast.

I think this is a real weakness for everyone in this thread. I have played maybe 1/3rd of my collection. It's sad.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I think this is a real weakness for everyone in this thread. I have played maybe 1/3rd of my collection. It's sad.

I play boardgames pretty much every weekday with my work group, and I still have a bunch of games I've only played once or twice - and a few that have never tabled (Ares Project has become kind of a running joke for this - getting almost played multiple times, but never quite out of the box).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's even worse for wargamers: i've bought plenty of stuff which realistically I will never manage to get on the table.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Looking for recommendations! I got the Discworld boardgame a while back and a few of us enjoyed it so much we ended up getting together about one evening a week for beer and boardgames. We've recently grabbed Carcassonne, which is great, and it's another mate's birthday so I'd like to get him a boardgame too. Ideally I'd like to find something similar in nature to Carcassonne/ Discworld; relatively simple to play with plenty of scope for screwing over the other players. From some quick googling and the OP, Dominion and Settlers of Catan seem to fit nicely into this category, but are there other games I should be going for instead?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Supreme Court posted:

Looking for recommendations! I got the Discworld boardgame a while back and a few of us enjoyed it so much we ended up getting together about one evening a week for beer and boardgames. We've recently grabbed Carcassonne, which is great, and it's another mate's birthday so I'd like to get him a boardgame too. Ideally I'd like to find something similar in nature to Carcassonne/ Discworld; relatively simple to play with plenty of scope for screwing over the other players. From some quick googling and the OP, Dominion and Settlers of Catan seem to fit nicely into this category, but are there other games I should be going for instead?

Neither. Dominion is light but there's almost no scope for screwing other players. Settlers is okay but not great either.

Off the top of my head, check out Cutthroat Caverns.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

From some quick googling and the OP, Dominion and Settlers of Catan seem to fit nicely into this category, but are there other games I should be going for instead?

Dominion doesn't really have much in the way of meaningful player interaction, but it is pretty simple to play. Catan likewise, but I think the robber is a more meaningful way of screwing other people.

Chaos in the Old World is a bit more complex, but it is actually not that difficult to play once you get over the bits and cards and such. I'd look into that. Note that the game only plays 4 (or 5 with the expansion), no more, no less.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Huh, I'd been under the impression that Dominion was about building a deck that stopped your opponents from winning! Is it largely just making a good deck for yourself? Thanks for the tips! Chaos in the Old World might be worth a shot, but we generally fluctuate around about 3 and 5ish.

Kaf
Mar 20, 2005

This thread is dyn-o-mite!
I'll recommend Cyclades. Very simple to learn, oozing with theme, great capacity for screwing people over, plays in a good length of time (1.5 hours on average), and works well with anywhere from 3-5 players.

edit: Also, check out these sweet rear end miniatures.

Kaf fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks for the tips! Chaos in the Old World might be worth a shot, but we generally fluctuate around about 3 and 5ish.

It might also be worth it to check out Small World/Small World Underground. It is pretty simple, but it's also a good beginner type game and it's got a pretty fair screw you factor to it, although nothing in a terribly clever way, like Chaos in the Old World does.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Huh, I'd been under the impression that Dominion was about building a deck that stopped your opponents from winning! Is it largely just making a good deck for yourself?
The base game is largely about making a good deck for yourself quicker than the opponent does. With some of the expansions, more cards are introduced that let you screw with your opponents in a slightly more direct fashion.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Kaf posted:

I'll recommend Cyclades. Very simple to learn, oozing with theme, great capacity for screwing people over, plays in a good length of time (1.5 hours on average), and works well with anywhere from 3-5 players.

(Disclaimer: These miniatures are hardly used in the game, if at all. With the exception of the Kraken miniature, which is appropriate because it's the most :krad:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaf posted:

If you're looking for a shorter game for loving over your friends (and a very portable one), consider Citadels. It's one of my favorites; Basically each round people choose a role card secretly like Assassin, Magician, or Warlord, and then take turns revealing their role, loving someone else up by killing/stealing from them or blowing up their poo poo, and then building a structure of their own. I'd say a full game is 30-40 minutes, and its played entirely with a deck of cards, making it very easy to transport.

Kaf
Mar 20, 2005

This thread is dyn-o-mite!

bobvonunheil posted:

(Disclaimer: These miniatures are hardly used in the game, if at all. With the exception of the Kraken miniature, which is appropriate because it's the most :krad:)

Unfortunately that's true. But still. Look at that fuckin' kraken.

Citadels is a good game too though. And it gets bonus points for being in a tiny box.

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!

Kaf posted:

Unfortunately that's true. But still. Look at that fuckin' kraken.

Citadels is a good game too though. And it gets bonus points for being in a tiny box.

My experience with Citadels is limited, but I don't think that I'd recommend it for a small group. We played it with three people, and it just didn't really work well with such a small group.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Citadels is a pretty fine game until you get Assassin'ed 4 times in a row even though you are picking randomly. It also has a bad habit of feeling like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back type of game. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels that way. But yeah, pretty okay.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

If you want an excellent screw your neighbor game that plays great with 3+ people, check out Infinite City.

Also, Dominion while not specifically a screw your neighbor game, DOES have a few cards that can push the game in that direction heavily. You can even choose to set the game up like that if you'd like, but most people just have the random picks. It is a fantastic game, and is a hit with literally every gamer I know. It's not overly complex, sets up quick, and every game is different. There are a billion expansions that can push the game in certain directions as well, but you really don't need any for a while.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Citadels is a pretty fine game until you get Assassin'ed 4 times in a row even though you are picking randomly. It also has a bad habit of feeling like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back type of game. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels that way. But yeah, pretty okay.

Pretty sure our group only ever played with the Witch variant card instead of Assassin. It makes skipping a person an actual choice with associated drawbacks so it's something that happens way less often.

Also I'm looking for some recommendations for games for a large group of people. Eight-plus is not uncommon at our game nights and we've had more than ten once or twice. We've already got The Resistance, Dixit, and Citadels, any others worth looking at?

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 14, 2012

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fungah! posted:

Pretty sure our group only ever played with the Witch variant card instead of Assassin. It makes skipping a person an actual choice with associated drawbacks so it's something that happens way less often.

Also I'm looking for some recommendations for games for a large group of people. Eight-plus is not uncommon at our game nights and we've had more than ten once or twice. We've already got The Resistance and Dixit, any others worth looking at?

It's looking like we're going to have a handful of free Print and Play party games in the November Game Design Thread by the end of the month so maybe one of those will sort you out.

[/shamelessplug]

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

With Black Friday fast approaching are there any sales (on-line or in-store) for boardgames that might be worth keeping an eye out for?

I think miniaturemarket.com is going to be having 5% off everything, plus some kind of bonus points program. Should last through the weekend.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I got the green light to post my online boardgame thread in Games, does anyone know anything I should include beyond some descriptions of BGA games and links? I was gonna include the SD&SH lecture that they did a few weeks about about why board games are important, but beyond that I couldn't come up with anything.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Countblanc posted:

I got the green light to post my online boardgame thread in Games, does anyone know anything I should include beyond some descriptions of BGA games and links? I was gonna include the SD&SH lecture that they did a few weeks about about why board games are important, but beyond that I couldn't come up with anything.

Gonna suggest the same thing I did when BL was looking for ideas about this thread:

Take all of BL's rants together, randomly select paragraphs until you hit the character limit.

Seriouspost: It may be a good idea to give a summary of some games (a basic how-to-play) to help them get into it, but that can be a lot of effort.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I was gonna write up 2-3 "easy" games like Can't Stop, and 3-4 meatier ones. If anyone has anything they want included post it by tomorrow night, which is when I'll be casting my net.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Coup is a loving excellent light game to come out of Essen 2012. It's basically a fancy version of BS, or Hoax if anyone has heard of that. You get some face-down roles that let you do actions, but when it's your turn you can announce any role and perform that action as long as no one challenges you. You slowly try to gather information on who is lying and why would they not use a role they previously had claimed on the first turn, etc. It's awesome, definitely going to try to find a copy ASAP.

Top of my list to play at BGG.CON includes Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in The Mayan Calendar.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

It's even worse for wargamers: i've bought plenty of stuff which realistically I will never manage to get on the table.

I try to think about it as collecting rulebooks, with added bonus of pushing counters out being more sophisticated alternative for popping bubblewrap.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
The more I hear about unplayed board games the more I feel I'm lucky in getting people to play these rather complicated games with me without having to drive to far to do so. I have accumulated around 80 or so games in the past three and a half years and currently have six of them unplayed. Some of the biggest helps include maintaining friendships with fellow board gamers from college years and making sure to hunt down board gaming meetups in my area (thank goodness for living in a city). That plus having one friend consistently playing games with allows me to get most of my collection put on the table at least once.

Still, I might take a sabbatical from The Cult of the New just for getting all those games with lots of replayability/content out of the way. That's another thing; not giving up on a game until it gets played really helps.

In short: local gaming groups + at least one person who will play the big games with you outside of local gaming groups = stuff gets played.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Countblanc posted:

I got the green light to post my online boardgame thread in Games, does anyone know anything I should include beyond some descriptions of BGA games and links?

Not sure if you're just looking for free aggregator sites but if not, I noticed the other day that Days of Wonder has made an online version of Memoir '44. Looks like you get a scenario or two free and have to buy microtransaction "gold ingots" to unlock more. Haven't tried it yet but they did such a good job with TTR and Small World for iOS that it may be worth a look.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I get most of my mainstream stuff played due to the meetups I attend: the problem is hunting out fellow wargamers, since they tend to be rather reclusive. The one guy I used to play wargames regularly moved away so I'm currently in a dry spell in terms of playing wargames face to face.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GrandpaPants posted:

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. Fungah got it right, only ever play with the Witch card. I've been burned too many times by that god damned card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've yet to be Assassinated, I just find that sometimes I need to excuse myself to the bathroom after his turn and not come back until the next round.

• Locked thread