Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

every time I visit my family, the actually would rather play Betrayal at House on the Hill, which is fine by me, I love that loving game.

Just wish there was an expansion.

Poke around Betrayal's forum on BoardGameGeek, some dude has made about 10 custom haunts you can DL as a PDF. From the looks of his posts, he's playtested and balanced them, but it's not like Betrayal is the picture of balanced board games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Damnit, your post makes me want to play this again badly. I found a weird album of 1930s Japanese Jazz (if you have Spotify, look for Koichgi Sugii) that is really nice background music. Things like this is why I'll always be a thematic game (excuse me, Ameritrash) player.

I wonder what would go well with Here I Stand?

I can't speak for that, but we used to play Blood Bowl: Team Manager while playing the soundtrack from NFL Films. I think it's called Autumn Thunder?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Playing Struggle of Empires for the first time this week...anything important to keep in mind? Seems nice and meaty but not an insanely long game. Gonna be a few newbies though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
BANKING.

Make sure you understand the combat and movement rules rules, it's a bit of a typical Wallace mess. Maybe look for some FAQ/errata beforehand.

Also, GRAB BANKING GODDAMNIT. After that, snatch some government reforms preemptively when you've got an action to spare, there's going to be a hell of a race for them during endgame.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Is Isla Dorada any good? The store has had a sealed copy in consignment for a while and it's only 19 dollars, which might make it worth trying out, but I've heard nothing about the game whatsoever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played it a long, long time ago and it felt overtly random: the cards especially felt extremely random and I think I won without really feeling that it was due to my strategy or playing well, due to how random the cards are.

stratego
May 6, 2007

e: Awful Betamax Betas strike again!

stratego fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 11, 2012

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

stratego posted:

In a Yahoo ppr, and have Sproles and DeMarco Murray banged up with Alfred Morris on a bye. Need to start two RB:

Ryan Matthews @TB
Daniel Thomas vs Ten
Vick Ballard @Jax

Leaning Matthews and Ballard, suggestions?

Umm, I believe you're in the wrong forum.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

Umm, I believe you're in the wrong forum.

Yahoo ppr is my favorite board game.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Gilgamesh posted:

http://yoyo.com has a 30% off one item coupon for new users (YOYO30), and they have a lot of decent games (HUGE Fantasy Flight catalog).

For example, After coupon you can get Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition with free shipping for $49.75 (free shipping >=$49). I have to pay sales tax in Texas, but YMMV.
Couldn't say no to that price. Now to devise a clever way to get my fast-paced Euro-loving theme-hating group to play it...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The longest of all long shots here, but I don't suppose anyone knows how I can get the old review of War On Terror that Robert Florence wrote? It used to be on his website, which has been taken over by weird spam blog things, I'm selling my copy and that was basically the best sales pitch anyone ever did for it.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Tenderloin posted:

Couldn't say no to that price. Now to devise a clever way to get my fast-paced Euro-loving theme-hating group to play it...

Tell them that the action selection was borrowed from Euros like Puerto Rico, because it's true. Then mention that all games are abstract, so the theme doesn't matter in Twilight Imperium anymore than in, say, Bohnanza.

Just don't mention the part about six+ hours :ssh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The longest of all long shots here, but I don't suppose anyone knows how I can get the old review of War On Terror that Robert Florence wrote? It used to be on his website, which has been taken over by weird spam blog things, I'm selling my copy and that was basically the best sales pitch anyone ever did for it.

Wayback machine has you covered:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091121071554/http://www.downtimetown.com/category/board-game-reviews/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I tried that but for the review itself, This works, thanks!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

All this talk of TI3 reminds me, has anyone played the Eclipse expansion yet?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
As far as I know, the Eclipse Expansion is not readily available in the US yet... supply is expected in December. European game, might be Essen or whatnot copies about.

Also. Woot - partly through posting in the local SA thread, and through normal suspects for our game night, our 'Let's play really long games' day is now up to 10 confirms, 5 maybes. Picked up 3 local goons, and we might get a couple more before Saturday. Here I stand is 6, that leaves at least a healthy other 'big rear end game'. The biggest problem is picking just one... have so many games that just don't seem to happen when everyone doesn't get settled before 7pm on a Friday.

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 8, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Good news everyone! Board Game Arena updated with two new games! They're, uh... Hearts and Reversi. I mean, I love Hearts (gently caress Poker) but it seems like an odd choice for showing off their new game creation tool. Oh well, can't complain about more Hearts!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
What do people think about The Resistance? Given the number and relative un-grognardiness (is there a term for a board game grognard?) of our group, it seems like a good choice, but the BSG game also looks tempting for traitorous tomfoolery. Plus why should I play for a game of Mafia with pretty cards?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Big Grunty Secret posted:

What do people think about The Resistance? Given the number and relative un-grognardiness (is there a term for a board game grognard?) of our group, it seems like a good choice, but the BSG game also looks tempting for traitorous tomfoolery. Plus why should I play for a game of Mafia with pretty cards?
Resistance is awesome when you have a group of it. Plus, it's tiny and can be carried anywhere with you and used as filler.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

There's no information with Mafia. The Resistance gives you information. Now how to interpret that information and whether you believe the source of that information is a whole separate question, and pretty much the meat of the game. But it's fun if you like discussing with (read: yelling at) each other.

BSG is a much longer game. It is not a bad game, but BSG feels like it is about 30 minutes too long, especially if people just talk talk talk and go around in circles of discussion instead of doing something.

Again, neither are bad games, but it depends on what you're looking for as far as time/"meatiness".

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

silvergoose posted:

Playing Struggle of Empires for the first time this week...anything important to keep in mind? Seems nice and meaty but not an insanely long game. Gonna be a few newbies though.

Fighting is really expensive (combined cost of time, money, and manpower), and you should avoid it unless you're almost sure to win, or you have a lot to gain.

Don't be afraid to take some unrest to get tiles that will give you a military advantage. It's much better to get unrest up front so you can win more fights, than to take it later on when you lose them.

Army training is awesome, naval training usually is not.

Make your enemies your allies, and your friends your enemies when bidding.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Any thoughts on Labyrinth: The War on Terror? I recently realized I love Twilight Struggle, so I think I'd like it, but are they too similar?

Moogs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 8, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Moogs posted:

Any thoughts on Labyrinth: The War on Terror? I recently realized I love Twilight Struggle, so I think I'd like it, but are they too similar?

I sat down with my friend, a huge fan of TS, and it took us two hours to separate components, set up the board, and read through the manual(s) because they're terribly written. We barely started playing when we decided we would rather play TS instead.

I'll let someone who actually played the game give an opinion on the mechanics but setting the thing up killed any motivation for actually playing it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Labyrinth is alright. The only real thing similar to TS is the whole "play a card for ops or the event" schtick. I find the game too complicated to elevate itself to "good game I'd want to play every so often".

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Moogs posted:

Not really similar at all outside of being in the same genre (CDGs). Labyrinth has some cool features, but ultimately relies way too much on getting die rolls to do anything. TS may use them a lot with coups and such, but one side in Lab can't do anything without rolling a 1/6 to 3/6 chance first. Might be nice for variety, but I'd suggest getting a different one. 1989 may be a bit too similar to TS, but has a number of interesting changes.

Slightly different, the designer of Labyrinth has started a series of Counter-Insurgency games based off the experience. They're 4-player with the option to split sides or use solitare logic for missing players. Andean Abyss is the one out now, with a few more in the works. They aren't quite the same genre (no cards in hand), but is pretty well put together and without much die reliance.

If you're looking for more complexity, consider getting Paths of Glory. It's a combination of CDG and wargame that's pretty highly rated. Takes much longer to play, though.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Moogs posted:

In my opinion, they're nothing alike except that they're card-driven wargames. I'd say that Labyrinth is a bit harder to learn than Twilight Struggle because it's a little less abstract. Overall, I think the card-play in Twilight is significantly better than in Labyrinth, specifically because in Labyrinth you only go through the deck once in a normal game and many of the cards don't do anything because the pre-conditions to use the event aren't met. However, besides that I think it's a brilliant game. The sides are EXTREMELY asymmetric, to the point where practically everything one side can do, the other side cannot. The feel of each side is also extremely different, with the jihadist game focusing more on how to alleviate the luck inherent in their play, and the US game focusing on how to best allocate their thin resources without getting bogged down or losing world favor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem with Labyrinth is that not only does it have too much luck (and pretty much ALL of the dice rolls are important throughout the game), not only is it unlikely to go through the deck more than once, but as well as that, there are some actions for the jihadist side that are outright bad in comparison to other actions.

Even though it is different in terms of card play, if you want a game that deals with asymmetric sides and with a heavy counter-insurgency element, I would suggest to get Andean Abyss like it has been mentioned before, because unlike Labyrinth, which is riddled with issues and becomes, in my opinion, pretty much unplayable once you become experienced, Andean Abyss (or Cuba Libre if you want something slightly shorter, although it is not out yet) is a much better design and it is extremely obvious that Volko Ruhnke learnt from his mistakes while developing Labyrinth.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

On the topic of CDGs, does omeone have an opinion of Clash of Monarchs?

I'm Frederics fanboy #1 so I'm interested in the topic, as well as willing to have a proper, meaty game about it (as opposed to simple, yet very good Friedrich and so). While briefly skimming the rulebook I got a feeling it's trying to become CDG's first monster game. So, is it playable? I'm no stranger to complicated games, but hate when they're tedious.

In other news I finally got my hands on solitaire Field Commander: Napoleon, since buying it at Udo Grebe stand in Essen turned out to be cheaper by about :20bux: and I'm loving it. Regardless of BGG praise I was a bit hesistant to get it, mostly scared by enemies operational AI being a single die roll, without any conditions or flowcharts built in. It turns out the tables are well constructed and the maps are small enough so that isn't a problem at all. It's a really fun solo Total War-lite and I especially admire how Verssen managed to stretch the simple rules to make each campaign fel really different. I'm strongly considering using it as faux-coop when introducing friends to wargaming.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Tried out blood bowl team manager for the first time last night. Only played it once, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I spent a lot of time reading tiny card text and tracking all of the special powers in play, but it felt so luck based, it didn't even feel worth the effort to remember which seven special ability cards the other guys had in front of them. I pulled ahead in the first round, which gave me better players and powers, and was pretty much untouchable from then on. Beat the owner of the game 50 to 40. Felt nothing.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Good news everyone! Board Game Arena updated with two new games! They're, uh... Hearts and Reversi. I mean, I love Hearts (gently caress Poker) but it seems like an odd choice for showing off their new game creation tool. Oh well, can't complain about more Hearts!

Still no Tichu :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

Tried out blood bowl team manager for the first time last night. Only played it once, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I spent a lot of time reading tiny card text and tracking all of the special powers in play, but it felt so luck based, it didn't even feel worth the effort to remember which seven special ability cards the other guys had in front of them. I pulled ahead in the first round, which gave me better players and powers, and was pretty much untouchable from then on. Beat the owner of the game 50 to 40. Felt nothing.

This is me and Games Workshop games in general. Played a few games of Space Hulk card game with friends and lost each time. I felt like I had a fairer opposition in loving Arkham Horror or Touch of Evil than Space Hulk.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

On the topic of CDGs, does omeone have an opinion of Clash of Monarchs?

I'm Frederics fanboy #1 so I'm interested in the topic, as well as willing to have a proper, meaty game about it (as opposed to simple, yet very good Friedrich and so). While briefly skimming the rulebook I got a feeling it's trying to become CDG's first monster game. So, is it playable? I'm no stranger to complicated games, but hate when they're tedious.

I've played it 3 times now. Keeping in mind that I definitely like the higher end of the complexity spectrum I really, really like it. We still haven't nailed down all the rules solidly (for example, at the start of game 3 we discovered that light units cause the space they are in to cost +1 movement point which really reduces the Prussian's mobility advantage) but I think after a few more tries we'll have them all mastered. Playing well on the other hand...

The Prussians are really easy to play. Mobility and good leaders, event cards (think a magic blue deck, they have like 8 or 10 cards that are interrupts out of ~40), and chits (which give combat effects) means that you can usually cut off your opponents or force them into fighting at a disadvantage. The Brits go from being absolutely horrible to being able to kick the French in the teeth to going very badly bankrupt. The Austrians have a huge learning curve to be able to actually do well (we are just starting to see hints of it). Unfortunately, the French/Russian player isn't as much fun to play. The Russians are locked on a pretty fixed path that depends heavily on die rolls for the first few years and the French don't really have much going for them other than masses of men. Maybe we just haven't figured them out yet though.

I think the biggest thing to realize is that the game really isn't so much about the armies fighting as it is about trying to destroy the economy of your opponents, fighting battles is just a means to that end. If you run out of money you can permanently remove your good cards for extra cash and you can borrow money at the cost of your Monarchical Will (you surrender if you run out, and if you get too low bad things start happening). Your light units can pillage the countryside to prevent the other guy from getting income (and also hitting their MW) so if you crush their army and force them to recruit coupled with a lot of raiding you can get rid of all the good cards from your opponent's deck and make them unable to use the good tactics chits or recruit as much down the road.

That was the biggest shift for us. Going from "I'm going to win by winning big battles and sieging important VP spaces" to "I'm going to win by bankrupting the other guy and forcing him to avoid close fights to give me freedom of action to take the VP spaces". Also important: supply. You can usually prevent the other guy from doing anything useful by either sitting astride his communications or using your light guys to blow up his logistics.

Feel free to PM me or email me at username @ gmail if you have any questions. I think it's a terrific game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Thanks a lot! Is it feasible (lenght-wise mostly) for a game night/day, or is it rather a game weekend/vassal affair?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

So I'm in chicago to meet MY GIRLFRIEND's parents, and her dad is a huge gamer. The first night, he asked us to help play-test the newest version of his home made game, Goblin Moon, which was pretty fun. I knew we were going to have a game night with his regular group so I brought space alert and that went....predictably for a crew of for rookies and one vet. We all had fun getting zapped into space slag, then we convinced her mom to put down the cross stitch and join us for some Dixit journeys, and we spent the rest of the evening drinking and laughing at pretty cards.

E: fixed a bunch of swypos, because I'm using swype

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 8, 2012

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

My group started a Descent 2ed campaign last night. Are we doing something wrong or is the player team really prone to quarterbacking? I'm pretty bad about QBing in co-op games (sup Pandemic) and try to be mindful of it but still found myself saying stuff like "Warrior, you need to move there and hit the red guy, I'll shoot twice at the two white guys, Cleric either move and mop up remaining white guy or move and get the treasure. Ready? BREAK!"

Also, it seems like the adventurers are in a huge time crunch. In both encounters of the first quest, it seems like the Overlord only needs about 5 turns to complete their objective while we're struggling to fight our way through to get anywhere near the objective in 5 turns. Is that by design or does it sound like we're doing something wrong?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Thanks a lot! Is it feasible (lenght-wise mostly) for a game night/day, or is it rather a game weekend/vassal affair?

We play one night a week and we would get through maybe a year per night (a bit under 4 hours). We've gotten a bit faster, but there is a lot of thinking to be done. It'd say it's probably about 40 hours for your first full game (assuming it runs to the bitter end) and probably a bit over 30 once you get the hang of it. If you did a game weekend where you didn't have to reorient yourself as frequently you might shave another few hours off of it. That said, we are fairly fast players in general. If you have someone who wants to think about every option in detail and won't start until it's their turn it could take a really long time. Don't play CoM in person with people like that. You will hate your life.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lawen posted:

My group started a Descent 2ed campaign last night. Are we doing something wrong or is the player team really prone to quarterbacking? I'm pretty bad about QBing in co-op games (sup Pandemic) and try to be mindful of it but still found myself saying stuff like "Warrior, you need to move there and hit the red guy, I'll shoot twice at the two white guys, Cleric either move and mop up remaining white guy or move and get the treasure. Ready? BREAK!"

Also, it seems like the adventurers are in a huge time crunch. In both encounters of the first quest, it seems like the Overlord only needs about 5 turns to complete their objective while we're struggling to fight our way through to get anywhere near the objective in 5 turns. Is that by design or does it sound like we're doing something wrong?

Anything that has co-op elements is prone to QBing.

As for time, you're correct in that the game is designed with a lot of race conditions.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Picked up City of Horror and I'll be playing my first game on Saturday. That rock paper shotgun article really sold me on it. Anything I should know for the first time?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Crackbone posted:

Anything that has co-op elements is prone to QBing.

As for time, you're correct in that the game is designed with a lot of race conditions.

Thanks. I don't mind the race conditions but wanted to make sure that was the designers' intention and not us screwing something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Lawen posted:

Thanks. I don't mind the race conditions but wanted to make sure that was the designers' intention and not us screwing something up.

Our current campaign is about to do the Interlude. Right now the heroes are so overpowered that I as the OL have no chance. The last scenario I set everything up, the heroes took one turn and won. I never got to do anything. Even the few defense rolls I made didn't matter because my monsters wouldn't live if I rolled the highest possible.

I am hoping that things change to even it back out but from reading on BGG it will for the first 1 or 2 scenarios after the interlude then it will be back to the same for the last 3, if I am lucky.

I really like the game but they need to make the OL a better way to upgrade. You get 1 card at most to add to your deck (if you have enough xp) in between scenarios while the heroes get equipment and stuff from both XP & gold.

• Locked thread