Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I think the best thing I can say about Xia so far, after trying it a couple times, is that the components and a few of the basic concepts are a decent foundation to build something else on.

I don't have the time to make those adjustments myself, but I'll be curious to see what starts cropping up around those pretty spaceship minis in the next year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

Oh hey, the new thread is UP!
Quoting myself since it dropped off the page.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Aw, I was hoping we'd stop at page 1000.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

Aw, I was hoping we'd stop at page 1000.

:justpost:, we can still make it!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

BonHair posted:

I like this game called Munchkin. Has anyone heard of this gem of modern design? :smug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Scyther posted:

My problem with Epic Spell Wars is it's tended to drag on when I played it. Some people get AP about which cards to play, probably because you have to decide how many cards you're playing, which cards to play, how to combine them, remember to look at the symbols etc. Add that to playing a four player game to two points, where everyone is obviously going to do everything they can to prevent anyone with one point from getting another, until everyone has one point.

I can't believe I'm even spending this tiny bit of effort considering the relative merits of three bad games, but given the choice between Epic Spell Wars, Munchkin and Smash Up, I still think I'd pick Smash Up.

Oh, you're playing to a set number of wins. We play until we get bored, usually about 3 games, but sometimes we do a lot more. Epic Spell Wars is better that way, it becomes a slog if you have an end condition.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

djfooboo posted:

I like this game called Munchkin. Has anyone heard of this gem of modern design? :smug:

I post on another forum full of old people playing AD&D. Whenever board games come up, the responses from "I'm a board gamer! Chess, backgammon, go...", to "I love munchkin!" Nothing beyond that.

I try to explain why Munchkin is bad, explain the mechanics that are terrible, and even say that it can be enjoyable, but it's still a bad game. People just get mad at me for being some kind of downer. Wish I had a copy/paste bit explaining Munchkin's terribleness.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

BonHair posted:

My first time playing CAH was ten times as much fun as my first time playing Dixit. Dixit may be objectively better, but CAH is empirically better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jimbozig posted:

My first time playing CAH was ten times as much fun as my first time playing Dixit. Dixit may be objectively better, but CAH is empirically better.

I've played each once. I enjoyed Dixit a lot, but it requires a smaller group of creative people who are prepared to push the envelope a bit in order to enjoy it. CAH I enjoyed when it was a big group of people and therefore a bit easier to laugh at the transgressive stuff, but it got notably less enjoyable as time progressed and people drifted away, until we had about 4 people left (and had mostly used up the less outright offensive poo poo in our hands) and it just got a bit squicky and uncomfortable. CAH is a better drunken party game. Dixit is a better game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun games for competitive backstabbing jerks? I was looking at the Game of Thrones and BSG games, but Lifeboats and Goblins Inc. look fun too

Diplomacy, it was made exactly for that purpose. You will lose at least one friend from the group if you play it correctly, its that backstabby.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jimbozig posted:

I don't like Dixit, but it's way better than CAH. Cool weird art is way better than dumb jokes on boring cards.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Madmarker posted:

Diplomacy, it was made exactly for that purpose. You will lose at least one friend from the group if you play it correctly, its that backstabby.

Confirmed. We have one guy who won't play board games with us because he thinks we take them too seriously after playing diplomacy with him. He couldn't handle the pressure.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

I don't like Dixit, but it's way better than CAH. Cool weird art is way better than dumb jokes on boring cards.

Combine the two! Use the black cards from CaH with the picture cards from Dixit :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rutibex posted:

Combine the two! Use the black cards from CaH with the picture cards from Dixit :v:

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

• Locked thread