Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The longest of all long shots here, but I don't suppose anyone knows how I can get the old review of War On Terror that Robert Florence wrote? It used to be on his website, which has been taken over by weird spam blog things, I'm selling my copy and that was basically the best sales pitch anyone ever did for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I tried that but for the review itself, This works, thanks!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Von_Rock posted:

I'm after a bit of help for a friend of mine. Does anyone recognise this game?

"I remember you had a long mat type board divided into sections, each about the size of a smaller sized top trump card. You would lay the card from horizontally to build a spaceship, but the mechanics of the game I've compeltely forgotten. I remember one section (card) was a fusion gun worth 5 pts or something like that."

I know it's a pretty vague description, but it's worth a shot!

Also, as it's my first time posting in this thread I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has recommended Space Alert. It's paid for itself in entertainment value dozens of times in the last few months.

edit: I should add, he thinks the game was from the 80s at some point.

That'd be Galaxy Trucker I think.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Moogs posted:

Edit for question: which is better, the FFG or the Avalon Hill version of Cosmic Encounter?

The FFG version of Cosmic Encounter is my fave and is possibly the best board game in the entire world.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just played it again last night and it is a whole bunch of fun. I need to get some more minis for it when they stop being so expensive (never).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Of those, Descent has my recommendation. Its really neat, fantastic minis, very slick rules that play very quickly and the ability to play out a fun little campaign with leveling and junk? Its rad.

The one downside is the slightly small feeling missions, but that is helped somewhat later on.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's always Vassal if you already have a group. Some of the modules work pretty well. I'm using it to keep in contact with my group after leaving the country.

The current price method on Memoir 44 really put me off Video game based board games. Is Ticket To Ride similar?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah memior 44's f2p model is awful and no ttr is a 1 time purchase and is pretty great.

I would use vassal but it always seems so hacked together. I am talking about games that are made to be board games in video game form, not re-creations. Good graphics 3d models, use the capabilities of a computer to handle more complicated systems, but allow for the players to play the game like its a traditional boardgame.

Oh yeah, that'd be awesome. My friend develops iOS games for a living and is always going on about how he wants to make a Galaxy Trucker game or whatever his new fave is this month, but he's basically too lazy to bother with it.

I'd really love more of it too. Plenty of games would really benefit from the move to a PC platform. There are several PC games that are basically board games (Cryptic Comet seem to have gotten confused and accidentally made PC games for the past decade or so.), but I'd love to be able to boot up a really well done Summoner Wars game with my friends. (aside here; there was actually Exactly This released for the Xbox I think years and years ago.)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

HEY HEY BOARD GAMERS

I dunno if anyone in here is interested, but chatting with some of mah fellow mods reveals A/T would not mind an ASK ME ABOUT BOARD GAMES thread or the like. Sort of an interforum ambassador thread. Bear in mind the rules over there are different so if someone likes Talisman or Monopoly or whatever there would need to be DIPLOMACY but other than that we thought outreach might be fun or interesting. This is just sort of a notice that such a thread would not be unwelcome over there if anyone feels like being a proto nerd ambassador on behalf of board games and the like.

I'd be up for doing this, if no one else is. I think this is a great idea.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

King of Tokyo remains outstanding fun for everyone in the whole world ever.

Spartacus Blood and Treachery was a game I played today. Very dumb, stupid, random, but my god is it a whole world of fun. Very much like KoT where you're hurling lots of dice, but with two whole segments dedicated to Being A Prick and backstabbing and poo poo. Then you get to cut off the backstabbers head in the arena. Lotta fun.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ramsus posted:

My brother has been coming over and playing Arkham Horror. He's been loving it whereas I'm at the point where I feel like the game has devolved into waiting around for 3 hours to inevitably win. I'm going to get The King in Yellow expansion to hopefully up the difficulty, but he is looking at getting some new games that are a bit similar.

I was wondering if anyone here has anything to say about the games Last Night on Earth and Touch of Evil. He just sent me a text saying he's considering buying them, and I don't want to be stuck learning potentially bad games with him.

For taste reference I've really liked Chaos in the Old World and Battlestar Galactica.

Heres my main man Rab talking about Last Night on Earth - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/31/cardboard-children-zombie-games/

tl:dw; Very well implemented theme/feel, nicely done co-op mechanic, but not as good as Mall Of Horror. Which is out of print I think, but if a Zombie Game is he needs, the new King poo poo of Zombie Mountain is City Of Horror.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

If you have an American Express card, you can allegedly spend $25 at coolstuffinc.com on Saturday and get $25 back if you enroll your card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/

You can even just get a gift certificate for later if you don't want to make an order.

I asked them on Twitter and they said that the online store isn't taking part in that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's really not a bad game even with the packed in rules. There's a lot of poo poo in there thats unbalanced and the like. Some of the scenarios have exploits and 'bugs' sure but so long as you're playing with Humans with brains and poo poo, you're fine. Its a nice game.

The revised rules work pretty well too, and I suggest using them. I'm just saying its totes worth getting I guess.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You kinda picked an awful time to stop.

Throughout the first half of the game the Overlord is pretty weak, and the heroes will be doing awesome if they have an even remote sense of tactics and a good leveling plan. The trick is to just keep throwing endless cards down and use your monsters abilities over and over again.

The second half things change, the Overlord gets more powerful stuff every session and the heroes start feeling a lot more pressure in those big long maps.

I say give it another try. Its a really fantastic game.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's difficult to say you're going wrong or something with this game, but plenty of people have a similar issue with the Overlord/Heroes power difference, so you're at least not alone. The only other thing I can say is try being much more aggressive with your units, but I suspect you're already doing that. Just remember your dudes are super expendable for a reason.

It really is a really good game, one that perhaps has some balance issues between the two sides, but they got ironed out for us as we played.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

nelson posted:

I've had success as overlord by concentrating on mission goals rather than combat. Not that I didn't fight, but if I had a choice of doing more damage or slowing them down so they couldn't reach their goal, I chose the latter option. For example, I really liked abilities that tossed the target to a location of my choice.

Yeah this is the other critical thing that I just assumed he was already doing. You're goal as the Overlord isn't to Beat The Heroes, its to accomplish whatever your goal is ASAP, the heroes should be playing eternal catchup to you.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I've heard plenty of things bad against the expansion, but King of Tokyo is aces so everyone should go right ahead and buy that right now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

New Cardboard Children, incredible as usual - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/25/cardboard-children-escape/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Descent Second Edition is seriously aces basically.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mice and Mystics is a good alternative to Descent if you have people who can't listen to rules at all, but Descent is really pretty simple and easy to get.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SafetyTrain posted:

My girlfriend recently picked up a copy of Fantasy Flight Games "Citadels" at some thrift store. Has anyone played this? It seems pretty decent.

Here's the BoardGameGeek link for anyone who want's too read about it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels

Citidels is a really fantastic game. Its the thing I use to introduce people to games. Good buy!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

xopods posted:

Weird. I think it's a great game with experienced players, but playing it with newbies is really frustrating for me... you keep getting Assassinated by accident because people are just targeting at random instead of thinking about who has the motivation to take what character.

I can see how that could be a problem, but even when playing with my brother in law, a tiny child, it's never been an issue. Maybe I've just been lucky. Citidels still rules though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Citidels, Magical Athlete, The Resistance and Munchkin are all Good Games that are Small and Play Quick. If Dominion is portable enough for you; King of Tokyo and Dixt make the list too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ya'lls is some slow rear end Munchkin players.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I can't believe someone would earnestly suggest Magical Athlete, which is a glorified Roll and Move game. I guess the appeal is that you get to see the wacky combinations of powers, but as a game it's seriously only a couple of steps up from candyland.

You know, Roll And Move is just a mechanic like any other. MA is one of the few that uses it in a pretty danged fun way when combined with all the various powers and has a fun bidding section as well as a the character management mechanic.

It's not like, an incredibly deep or complex game but sayings its Candyland is kinda just wrong. It's basically like a distilled, smaller and quicker version of Cosmic Encounter or maybe Citidels.

Not all games gotta be Campaign In North Africa, sometimes its fun to just roll a bunch of dice then get sent back 3 spaces cause Cupid made sure you landed on the wrong square but then the Ninja comes and oh now you're in the lead again some how. Especially seeing how the games last like, 20 minutes at most.

The only thing I'll grant you is the game is butt ugly.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I respectfully disagree with you.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cause we have a massive differing idea on games. Your 'rebuttal' was basically breaking down the mechanics of MA and just saying 'Other games do it better' without really saying why. The idea you don't have any power over the game beyond dice rolls is either you just being hyperbolic or you not really understanding the mechanics beyond 'You roll dice and chose characters'.

I mean yeah I could post another massive paragraph explaining how character bidding isn't 'Pointless' (what) or how the point with the powers isn't choosing between 'Make Someone Miss a Turn' and 'Go Forward 2 spaces' but its pointless. I'm not going to change my mind and neither are you and the end result is we are just two idiots yelling at each other over a $10 anime board game where you race each other.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cripes, ok.

You missed the point of the game entirely if the character bidding came off as pointless and you think the dice are the main thing that rule your choices. MA isn't a racing game any more than BSG is a Math Game.

The Player Agency in the game comes from, first, the bidding. Building a stable of racers that work with each other and react well to the other players choices is a pretty big step toward winning and choosing at random is a bad idea. If you missed how this works then I guess I can see how you'd get so angry at the game. The idea that you'll always grab The Best One seems to just forget that you have a resource that you have to get rid of to get Racers, so grabbing The Best Every Time is basically impossible.

Further, you seem to be focusing on the idea that One Race is what wins the game, where as in MA the main metachoice you get is knowing when to use crappy racers and when to use the good racers you got. You race multiple times with the winnings increasing as you go. Add in the Meta-Game uses of Assassin, Thief, Etc, and you have a lot of pretty interesting tactical choices to make to shift the game one way or the other.

The Dice being the only thing that matters is just dumb. The powers you pick and how you use them (most being a choice) contributes more than that, the dice are more akin to how Dice works in Summoner Wars, where an element of randomness can swing the game one way or the other, but generally the 'better' player wins. Granted its not nearly as balanced in that direction than SW is but it's not really supposed to.

I'm not sure what you declare Good Game Design, but MA does exactly what it sets out to do. There's not much depth to it, but it works as a very accessible party game with some minor added complexity through the opening phases. It's a game you can play in 15 minutes, with anyone, gamer or not, and they'll most likely enjoy it.

Not enjoying the game is fine, but acting like Fun is some objective metric you can analyse is kinda silly, especially when we're talking about things like MA. The game is designed to feel pretty random and chaotic and that's where the enjoyment is derived. Under that, as I pointed out above, there's plenty of extra stuff to think about.

It's not a perfect game, the components are rear end, it lacks much effective strategic depth but to act as if its all random luck is flawed. You always have enough info available to make smart choices that increase your chances of winning. It has a pretty low Skill Factor for sure but again, that's not really a bad thing every single time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Even I'll happily admit that Formula D is way better than MA in basically all respect, too. It's pretty fantastic.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well of course you're going to want to get the best characters that you're able to get, resources and choices withstanding, that's basically true of all games with any sort of similar mechanic, I don't really think I get what you mean by that. None of the characters boost, no, and I agree that if the game had that in it, it'd be way better. There is some synergy in picking a good all round stable with the right meta-power characters. A team with an Assassin, a Thief and a Merchant is objectively a worse team than one with an Amazon, Demon and Pirate.

The latter races give more points, but you could still win by grabbing the early victories first if you think your opponents are going to hold their Good Stuff till later. It's not quite as cut and dry as 'Use Crap Early, Use Good Later', you have to try and figure out what your opponents might field given their stables and how far ahead or behind they are. Again, agree that there should be more of that sort of power too. There's a couple other minor tactical things that come in here too (left over bidding coins become points, etc)

Maybe on the Dice thing. Its certainly no SW and as I said, SW does it way way better.

MA isn't even my fave Roll and Move, I just think that saying its entirely random is more than a little unfair, and most of the criticisms it gets are usually structured as if each of its mechanics are an island unto their own. It's not a particularly good game, but its certainly not a bad one. It's a very cheap, very easy to explain game that fits in your pocket, which is what the original intent of the suggestion was for. By all means, Formula D and King Of Tokyo are outlandishly Better Games.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm not really sure how Answering Yes is always the right answer. Do you play your games with robots?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Shadows over Camelot isn't Huge but it's pretty good. The Game Of Thrones game is basically exactly what you're looking for though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think you're right, I can't imagine anything to punch out or assemble or anything.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SA Mart, Board Game Geek and Ebay are the usual.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dixt and Ca$h n Gun$ are both fantastic party games, Dixit is more what you seem to be looking for though.

We also just had a month long design contest here in these forums designing party games. Theres plenty of fun stuff in there.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

shadowobsessed posted:

Hello, this is my first post in any incarnation of the Board Game threads.

Is there any sort of list compiled for must-have games this Christmas season? I would like to add to my household's board game shelf. I already saw the mention of Puzzle Strike up the page a bit, and that's really exciting because I've never heard of it before and I do love Puzzle Fighter.

If my question is too general, my roommates tend to enjoy Penny Arcade and other deckbuilding type games including Ascension and Dominion. I enjoy those too but would prefer something perhaps not in the deckbuilding genre this time around. No Agricola or Starcraft for me, but maybe a more middle-ground game (not as simple as something like Blokus). Any suggestions? I know that's a really broad inquiry, so thanks to anyone who answers XD;

Mage Knight might be right up your street, check that out.

Other than that, Galaxy Trucker is an aces game that's quite simple but has a really fantastic mechanic that I've never seen anyone not enjoy. Memoir 44 is great as a 2 player war-game thing. Ticket To Ride is another simple yet entertaining game about building routes and is one of those games that everyone seems to like.

Also see my suggestions for the chap above you. They are both very worth buying.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Vlaada games always have horrible rulebooks that make the game way more complex than they should be. I always have a tiny smile whenever someone complains about FFs rulebooks in this thread, seeing how nuts we all are about Vlaada.

Mage Knights is especially bad though, there's no real reason for it to be two books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mage Knight does the Vlaada thing of looking ten times as complex as it is and sounding ten times more complex than that, and being explained in a way that makes it even more complex.

MK is a pretty simple game with lots of subsystems and poo poo to look up and internalize but I've never had a problem teaching it to someone and most people get the core rules within a turn, and the extra stuff (Fire/Ice Blocking, Attack phases, etc) after a quick go over.

It's also fantastic and you should all buy it if you haven't already.

• Locked thread