Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I have been playing cool board games for only a few years now and mostly only a dozen times a year with my gaming group but I really, really enjoy it and am determined to do it more often. I need to lurk through the thread more but does anyone else love Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game?

I don't like to use the word "retarded" ever, but this game is retarded amounts of fun so I bought two core sets from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just played it again last night and it is a whole bunch of fun. I need to get some more minis for it when they stop being so expensive (never).

I bought two core sets because technically you're saving a bit of money on them individually and I'm going to sell the X-Wings to my buddy that is playing the Suckers Rebels.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Tippis posted:

I've only had a quick test session sales pitch at my FLGS, but pretty much the only thing I ever hear about it echoes your sentiment: it's silly fun if you can avoid going catatonic from the sticker shock. My brief exposure gave me no reason to doubt the consensus.

I feel that the main issue is, and will continue to be, to get enough people to fork out the cash to get some battles going.

I guess converting over from Games-Workshop games helps the sticker shock for me :unsmith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

No, Dominion is entirely self-contained. Decks in Dominion don't exist outside of a particular game - you make them using the cards available to you for that game, and then once you finish you dismantle your decks and put the individual cards back. It isn't like a TCG or LCG where you build a deck and use it over and over again.

I feel like this an good explanation but it makes me think Magic the Gathering or something. This game is nothing like MtG and is its own thing. I recommend trying it out before you buy it if you can.. but you won't regret the purchase if you decide to get it anyway.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dominion posted:

That explanation was all about how it is exactly not like MtG, though.

Yeah I don't know why I got a MtG feel from it :smith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've got a few games that aren't even out of the shrink wrap :negative:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I ordered Dungeon Quest and 2x Star Wars X-Wing the other day from Amazon. Should get here today...

I played the old Games-Workshop DungeonQuest years ago and had so much fun laughing and dying without really getting close to winning. I was a little hesitant to play the new FF version but I tried it out this past Saturday and LOVED it. The combat was a little confusing at first but once you figure it out it can be one of the best parts.

There were 4 of us playing, one died pretty early on, maybe 5 turns in. Another died probably 8 or 9 turns in and the last two of us survived almost until the end. The other guy made it to the dragon's room first and snagged a bunch of treasure without waking him. When I got there I woke him first try! After that I took off and ALMOST made it to the door. When the sun counter hit the last three days you have to roll and if you roll a 1 or a 2 the game ends.

Fuuuuuuck :qq:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

A Strange Aeon posted:

DungeonQuest is probably my favorite game. The FFG version is great, just for having the game in print and available. I wasn't a fan of the new combat at all, but the latest editions have rules to make the combat more like the original anyway.

When we played last weekend, we just did rock paper scissors, except if the hero crushes a monster's scissors, the monster loses two life. This basically emulates the original rules and plays way faster.

My issue with the FFG combat is how long it takes to resolve. A game like DungeonQuest needs to have really quick turns, since you are completely dependent on things outside your control. Watching two other players play a mini game for 5 minutes is pretty bogus.

I guess I didn't mind the little mini games. I didn't feel like watching it was boring it was kind of fun rooting for the monsters to kick my buddy's asses!

All around a very fun game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

nimby posted:

It could be worse.

Boardgames could be sold through Steam.

Don't give them any more good ideas or I'll really be broke :catstare:

• Locked thread