Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hey, how is this thread different from this guy here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386208&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I am inclined to keep the extra strings to a minimum, but if this is different somehow let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

silvergoose posted:

That's the old one, paybackjack probably should have closed it. This thread is just the new iteration, started today.

Oh! I am incredibly easily confused. Thanks!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Lorini posted:

Dungeon Command is a skirmish game with cards (just finished playing it). We enjoyed it, much more than we enjoy Summoner Wars (which we find too simple). We liked the terrain issues, the 'stack' that they use from Magic the Gathering, and the mini's look great. I was kind of hoping for a re-worked Dreamblade but it's not that game. The rules aren't too bad, although they could use more clarity in the Line of Sight part. The cards are interesting, and I think the game will get really good when both players have played it a number of times and know what to expect, like Magic.

So right now I'd rate it a 7.5, with the possibility over time of the rating going up.

Which sets did you get? Did they play differently?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

mikeycp posted:

This sounds like it could be an interesting theme for the next Game Design Contest.

I'd love to see a board game contest just to follow it. I know fuckall about board game design (TALISMAN RULES) but I'd watch.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tekopo posted:

Would we be able to include games not specifically made for the contest? I mean, I've been working on and off on mine for a while.

Not my contest, I would just dig watching it. All I do with the contests so far is sticky them and hand out some titles. I suppose I catjailed a couple people for stupid stuff over them too, but the thrust here is they are not my bag and I would be particularly out to sea in a board game (Talisman RULES) contest.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Broken Loose posted:

So should I come into the Pathfinder thread and start posting about how much BESM rules?

You should probably consider lightening up about people liking things you don't.

As far as the rest of it goes, if someone wants to run it (I have gotten a PM on this for what I think is a volunteer with prize support and suchlike), all y'all can have the September Contest as whatever Board Game challenge you can think up.

EDIT: Oh ho, FISH IN THE WATER already. I can sticky it for Sept. anyway.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 10, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Der Shovel posted:

My local store got Descent 2nd Edition in. I want to get it.

I have a group who have quite liked games like Ravenloft. Two of them are into RPGs, the rest don't mind fantasy and co-op vs. overlord player type games. A friend who has played the new Descent says it's really fun: much smoother and simpler than the first edition, but still very satisfying.

Talk me into it / out of it, goons.

I dunno, someone can talk me into it if they like. I loved Hero Quest and Advanced Hero Quest (and even Talisman, haw) back in the day and this looks like the sort of successor to that sort of thing. Is there a prevailing opinion? Like I have said before (and possibly by my stated previous tastes) I am no judge of board games, but this does look like it has good candy value and that is always a bonus.

On a related note, this just looks ridiculously sexy to me but I have poor judgement when it comes to eye candy games and also it is spendy as hell.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Crackbone posted:

If you loved HeroQuest, yeah, that's up your alley. I'd just say make sure you still love HeroQuest, and you're not just being nostalgic about it. Fantasy Flight basically stripped out most of the truly fiddly bits about a dungeoncrawler and made scenarios that require more than just "beat on monsters".

On the flip side, the D&D adventure games are probably closer to Heroquest in their structure. Beat up on random monsters, random events, treasure decks to draw from, etc. It's totally co-op, and a lot of people think it's boring because of the automated monster AI and repetitive nature of encounters (place room, draw for monsters, repeat until end).

Are you sure HeroQuest was the random one? I remember the old Milton Bradley one with the cardboard furniture; it had little ADVENTURE BOOKS and campaign packs and your guys could level up. I don't remember the monster placement being random, but maybe my memory is bad.

Are there any others like it?

EDIT: HQ (the MB one) had set maps and little campaign books that your men leveled up throught. AHQ had random generation and a lot od d12s

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 10, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

What are some more of these types of games? Always looking for a new one.

I'd add Buffy the Vampire Slayer game, (good even if you don't know the theme), Space Crusade (a literal 40k themed HeroQuest), and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel(awesome production and fun help or hurt your fellow good guys mechanic).

Do you mean the SUPER OLD Space Crusade or did it get a re-release? That one was before my time and I was always kind of sad I never got a chance to play it. Played a hell of a lot of Space Hulk, tho.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

King Chicken posted:

If you regularly play this type of thing with multiple people, go for Descent 2nd ed. It's fun, tactical, and is way better than the old Hero Quest stuff.

If you are typically in a 2-player situation, I'll second Claustrophobia as the best in class. It's not so much of a dungeon crawl as it is the humans running through a gauntlet of demonic death as fast as possible to complete a hopeless objective. There are a half dozen or so scenarios in the main game and another 20 or so you can download, plus an expansion if those every become dull (they won't). The game is completely asymmetrical but very well balanced.

Will Decent work with three? That is likely going to be our typical group for a little while, we are kind of in a slump at the moment and while we are mostly RPG types having a backup in the form of something RPGish but fun and tactical seems the way to go.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

On jibber jabbering with some other folks it looks like Descent is getting bumped in favor of one of the D&D Boardgames. Given our groups makeup I am going with Castle Ravenloft unless there is something terrible about one of the three I should know and another that is much better? I saw they were praised in here and all y'all seem to know your biddness.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

If you're looking for an ADVENTURE game, you might want to look into Mice and Mystics. I haven't played it, but initial reviews are positive. It also has that sort of miniature world thing going on that stems from stuff like The Borrowers and Mouse Guard (and really any other anthropomorphized mouse book/movie/whatever

Holy crap, this game is adorable. I am gonna do some more reading but it seems like a contender for what we are looking for, which is essentially a thing to fill the hole in our hearts by our shared nostalgia for Hero Quest.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

jmzero posted:

Great, your post there cost me like $80. Bloody mouse figures with little swords, and paying for abilities with cheese and I don't even know what the hell kind of game (Mice & Mistakes) this is. poo poo.

I hate myself.

Yeah, I was sore tempted but I think it is going to come down to availability unless I can get this with some Amazon credit somehow.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Countblanc posted:

Yeah CCGs have MMO Syndrome; you play what your friends play, who are playing what their friends are playing, who are playing what their big brother is playing, who is playing what he saw an advertisement for. This isn't to drat any one game, especially not M:tG, but it's pretty impossible to play some games because no one has a deck for them. Sure, there's some random revival events (GenCon has a DBZ TCG tournament every year that allows unlimited proxies, for example) and online tools like Apprentice help, but even then you're looking at a community in the hundreds across the country. If you like actually holding cards, buying boosters, and going to weekly or monthly events, then your options are pretty loving limited and have been for a very long time.

This right here. It is true of miniature based wargames too, really. In college we played all kinds of poo poo (Blood War or whatever the TSR one was, for fucks sake, and the excellent SJG INWO) but now if I want to play with another human rather than look at my cards and sigh, it would pretty much have to be magic. Except for my one friend who is perpetually harping on L5R.

On a related note (that is boardgamey) is there any love in here for Illuminati?. It is one of those I have fond memories of but am unclear if it was a good game or not at this point in my life.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

silvergoose posted:

I know others who share your feelings, at least! That is, they remember Illuminati very, very fondly and wonder if it's worth trying to assemble a set to play with.

IWNO was the collectable one; the other is just a boxed game with fixed cards. I remain confident IWNO was a really good game, I liked it a lot. I know someone who owns approx 2% of the limited run of the game, so I guess I could always hit him up for a round or two. It was the LCG board gamey one I was wondering about since a whole lot of poo poo was fun back then that turned out to be not so much.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I took the plunge and preordered Mice and Mystics yesterday, I have not been this excited about a game in awhile now.

In other news, Castle Ravenloft is kind of fun. We are getting a crew together this weekend to try it more, but the single player is about as fun as single player boardgame poo poo gets.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

A NOTE to all my fellow Mice and Mystics preorderers in here. PHG claimed they had shipped Monday, I sent an email asking for tracking and it is on the way. I should see mine Thursday. But I had to bug them for the track, although the response was speedy enough.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

jadarx posted:

What does 'Mice & Mystics' offer that other dungeoncrawl games don't?

I enjoyed playing the demo at Gencon, but I have Descent 2 as my go-to dungeon crawl again, with Dungeon Run and the DnD Ravenloft game. I want to buy this game because I really like Plaid Hat, but I don't know if fills a hole in my collection.

Mice. Not even kidding. It is adorable and I have already gotten people who are... board game adverse to agree to give it a whirl based on the look of the thing. A heavy storytelling emphasis. It is also co-op so the vibe is totally different from Descent 2. It is a lot more structured than Ravenloft in terms of how the missions/games work. Never played Dungeon Run so I got nothin there.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cocks Cable posted:

It all sounds pretty cool so far. I was watching the game for a while but never felt like any of the previews or reviews gave a good sense of the actual game play. So this is good information.

Can you elaborate on the strategic depth/difficulty of the game? What other games would you compare it to? A concern is that the cute theme gears itself to a younger age demographic and thus the actual game is dumbed down and simplified.

I did a couple solo runs to get through the rules and get them down before I had to teach others the rules and a both were fairly tight games even with me using all four mice as like, a tight little unit. The AI is pretty basic for the most part, the monsters come at the nearest mouse and attack the guy thye can reach who is highest on the init order or move to where they can get LOS and then shoot at the nearest guy or whatever with some of the nastier pieces having more specific rules. What keeps it tight is the clock, I think, because if you dick around too long (which includes not offing minions fast enough or searchign too much) the time will pile up and you will get more bad guys and be closer to loss. The characters feel reasonably diverse, even when I was playing all of them at once. I will report later this week when we get a chance to run with a group.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

GrandpaPants posted:

Is the top (readily available) dungeon crawling game Descent 2 at the moment? I don't really need more than 1, so it's pretty much between that and Mice and Mystics at the moment.

One is co-op and the other is adversarial. They are both pretty brutal in their way but they occupy different spots in my head.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Gilgamesh posted:

Be careful before buying from this guy. I won't go into details, but look at his feedback (85% but a large portion of those are as a buyer). I've personally had a bad experience with him.

Edit: And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Good! Off site drama stays off site. Also this thread is not the place for ads for your auctions, hie thee to SA Mart where they are both have the resources and the willingness to deal with this sort of thing.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

HEY HEY BOARD GAMERS

I dunno if anyone in here is interested, but chatting with some of mah fellow mods reveals A/T would not mind an ASK ME ABOUT BOARD GAMES thread or the like. Sort of an interforum ambassador thread. Bear in mind the rules over there are different so if someone likes Talisman or Monopoly or whatever there would need to be DIPLOMACY but other than that we thought outreach might be fun or interesting. This is just sort of a notice that such a thread would not be unwelcome over there if anyone feels like being a proto nerd ambassador on behalf of board games and the like.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

What's mean about it? The first time someone asks about landing on Free Parking, Winson has instructed us to degenerate the thread into a hatefest where brother slays brother, husband slays wife and the family dog rapes the hamster. This is not an opportunity that arises very often.

(NB: strictly speaking Winson may not have meant to say that, but if he didn't, he's not playing Diplomacy right.)

Strictly speaking, I had forgotten Diplomacy existed as a board game when I wrote that in spite of playing it in college. Possibly I have burned the memories out with a red hot iron.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

St0rmD posted:

Session Report:

Tonight, my girlfriend Kelly found a diamond ring in the Carcassonne bag as she was pulling out the last tile. After saying yes, she played the tile, and insisted I count up the score so she could brag about how much she beat me by, but I still think I won.

That is awesome, congrats!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Broken Loose posted:

Which is why everybody voted it 5th best game in the last thread.

People don't really like or dislike things by committee.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Broken Loose posted:

"Like or dislike" is different from emperical claims of certain qualities of the game. The majority of this thread prefers games that have a certain degree of depth, so it's illogical for it to not be very deep while also being very popular.

edit: Worst case scenario, I can just pull up all the individual reviews by voters from the last thread, all of whom praised the game for its fun and depth.

You aren't under any obligation to defend the games honor, nor to represent "the majority", nor is posting a lot of reviews of other people finding something fun going to convince anyone they like it. Nor is anyone disliking a game you like going to convince anyone else it is bad, empirically or otherwise.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

bobvonunheil posted:

Winson, I'm honestly not sure what BL got probated for here.

He was just engaging in typical conversation, and nothing particularly untoward got said. I personally think that BL is an excellent contributor to this thread and I don't like the precedent being set when people can get probated for wanting to discuss value judgements that others have posted, which is a natural part of discussion.

This is a fair question and deserves an answer. He did not get probated for having a bad opinion about games (or a good one, for that matter). He got probated for what would normally be fairly mild if annoying passive aggressive sass that was exacerbated by his rap sheet, which has 26 previous violations for more or less being a jerk about games, eight of which are within the year (and only one of which is from me).

I realize BL knows a lot about games, and such people are valuable resources for the community. When he contributes it is great but the thing is being a good contributor doesn't mean you get a pass on being a toxic jerk who runs a lot of people off if my PM box and the reports I get are any indicator. I don't really have it in for BL, I don't know him except that he seems to care a lot about board games and he is often mean to people about them.

PaybackJack posted:

It's pretty clear he got probated for mod sass, not discussing a value judgement. Xopods posted a rebuttal and did it in a manner that wasn't antagonistic. BL would be fine if he could post a counter argument with being condescending or arrogant about his point. Sometimes his rants are fine, like his Race for the Galaxy rant, but I think it's pretty bad for discussions in general when your argument slaps the other guy in the face, regardless of how "right" your argument is.

edit: Not to mention he just got back from being banned for the same bullshit two pages ago.

This is close to it. The probation was one for sass, not for his opinion on a game I have played twice. Posting pointer for the SA forums is that if an admin who does not read or post in your thread bans you, you have attracted attention for some reason or another and maybe should consider mellowing a bit. Also don't post things that amount to daring the mod you are talking to not to ban you, because it never helps. I do not wish to suppress any kind of conversation in the thread over board games or opinions on board games, this is a probation based entirely on sass and history and coming on the heels of another ban.

The General posted:

Best $10 I've ever spent :colbert:

Don't do this, either.

If people have questions (concerns, comments, or just want to yell at me), I am usually available pretty quickly by PM or at winsonpaine@somethingawful.com, the thread has been derailed enough by this point.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am looking for a game for my nephew, he totes digs on STRATEGO. Like, a whole lot. More than I would have thought it possible for anyone to like Stratego. Is there a game Uncle Winson might get him that would be in that ballpark but maybe step up the game a little?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tekopo posted:

How old is he? I'm hesitant to talk about something too complex, but if you are still looking for wargamish-type games, anything within the Command And Colours series could work. There's Memoir 44, for example, which is fairly easy to play. Another good game could be Maneuver by GMT games, but the game is more about managing your cards rather than anything else: apart from that, it's fairly easy to play although it can be fiddly at times. The above are tending more to boardgame than abstract games though.

If your nephew likes Lord of the Rings, he might like Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. From what I've heard, it's got some elements of stratego to it.

Otherwise, if you are looking for something more abstract, maybe introduce him to Go? The earlier the better if you think he would be interested in this awesome game.

Think 10ish for the age range, the LOTR game looks like it might be a winner. Go might be neat, and I think my brother would dig it too. He is on his school's chess team too, so think bright 10ish. Is the LOTR thing any good as a game? Odds are I will end up playing a lot of it.

Actually, is Stratego any good? It seems to have a lot of elements good games do.

Countblanc posted:

You should try Uncle Chestnut's Table Gype.

I have googled this, what the hell is it? It looks kind of neat as poo poo.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

SilverMike posted:

Related to that, what's a good alternative to suggest for people who play Monopoly? I'd like to be able to give people an answer other than "I really don't know; that's how bad Monopoly is!"

The only thing within 10 years I can think of that comes close to Monopoly's neighbourhood is Merchant of Venus, and it's not that close.

I thought about this, why not Catan? Still has dice, still has the managing your own poo poo while dicking with others aspect, still has some resource management. You don't have the instant bankrupt chance, but you can cut people off or robber on them.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I got to play some Mice and Mystics (yay!) and Puzzle Strike last night. M&M was fun as always even if we did get smoked but I was sort of stunned at how much I liked Puzzle Strike. That game was a lot of fun.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Crackbone posted:

Chips are my least favorite part of the game. It's a gimmick.

I dunno, I have not done a lot of this sort of thing but the chips were a lot easier to handle and deal with than cards. I dug it. Why would it be a gimmick? It seemed to make things a lot handier. Oddly, it and M&M have gotten me interested in friggin board games. I am now eyeballing Space Alert.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Bosushi! posted:

Yesssss

You won't regret Space Alert at all. It might be a little confusing at first, but some of the most fun is had in the beginning when group doesn't know what to do, gets stressed out by the real time aspect, then get blown up.

What is the real time aspect? Does it run on a timer?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only benefit chips bring to the table is that they make shuffling easier, and as much shuffling as you do it isn't the whole of the game. They hinder every other aspect of the game. Chips stack for poo poo, and there are some big attacks in the game, your discard pile among them. Your hand can get pretty huge, and holding nine chips is a pain. They're also a bitch to store and retrieve. The space available for rules text was apparently a limiting factor in design. Putting chips on top of your bag is super kludgey. And finally the fact that the graphic design was completely stolen from an image of someone's Dominion chip conversion cheeses me off more than it should, considering I'm not the guy who got ripped off. I guess the print and play doesn't fix that, but Crackbone's cards look super nice.

Huh. The dude I was playing with had little screens we kept our chips behind. I can see how having to shuffle though them in my hands would have sucked. It was a hell of a lot of fun tho. Probably the first of the board games I have been dragged through that made me really go WOAH.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Tekopo posted:

The only game that ever made me go woah was napoleon's triumph but I haven't found someone that shares the same passion for it in my meet up group.

To be fair, most of my board game experiences have bored me to bits with a handful of exceptions so this was like getting smacked with funhaving.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ebethron posted:

I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about the game if you want to sing its praises. In what way does it simulate fighting games? Combos, supers, meter and that sort of thing?

I sort of know this one! Yeah, basically all that. I lack a lot of board game vocab but it is sort of a bluffing game where you lay out two cards and each is half of your attack, there are like FRONT HALFS and BACK HALFS. The backs (bases) are all the same except for one special for each dude and the fronts (styles) are all unique to the dude. You move back and forth on a little track and cycle through the cards. It was pretty fun.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

sicarius posted:

Legendary is Marvel - Spiderman, Black Widow, Hulk, Thor, etc. The DC Deckbuilding Game is DC - Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. For non-comic nerds, the distinction is pretty irrelevant, but they're totally different games.

Which one is better? I was eyeballing legendary but really could get my comic on with either.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Merauder posted:

Loads and Loads of good stuff re: Legendary and DC

Yeah, this helps a lot. Looks like Legendary for our group, at least to start.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Did a search for it and did not see anything in here about it, what is the verdict on the Space Hulk card game that came out a bit ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Footsteps Falco posted:

Where did you find/buy that plastic box?

Craft stores or fishing supply places. Plano makes a huge line of tiny compartment boxes for dirt cheap. Some craft places will try to skin you on the deal, so don't pay too much, but the one I got similar to that one for my Mice and Mystics poo poo was less than a buck on pre-holiday sale. Check near where they keep their bead making poo poo to start, but they are all over in a place like Michael's or JoAnne Fabrics or even a good sporting goods store with a fishing gear section.

• Locked thread