Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Last minute kickstarter link. A group trying to build a 'casual games' marketing system to help grow board game player base. I dunno how much everyone here cares, but I know I like anything trying to market games to a bigger audience.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stratusgames/casual-game-revolution-phase-1-the-magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
New game on kickstarter that I got to playtest on a couple of occasions:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167427101/salmon-run-prepare-for-the-race-of-a-fishs-lifetim

It's a deck building race game where cards you play are how you move. It's pretty light weight, but it's got some cool ideas. There's a trade off of speed vs gumming your deck up with Fatigue cards. You can also trash fatigue by giving up turns. First one to the end wins, if the rest of the table can't catch up.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

sicarius posted:

There are a lot of problems with the core game design that I don't want to get in to, but the rules are very clear and easily understood if you take the time to read how the more complex rules (like state effects and copy effects) interact. I say this as a former judge who was higher than level 1.

Is there any chance I could hear your thoughts on what's wrong with Magic's core design? I have a similar opinion, but most people when you say 'Magic has a few issues' they scream you down like you spit on their mom.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

sicarius posted:

Yeah - and that's the breaking point. The core of the game - colored mana - ends up being the thing that is the most painful. You get to a point where planning your mana base is more important than the spells that end up in your deck (unless you're playing mono - in which case you basically don't care). There are a lot of people who blame mana screw/flood for their losses when it wasn't. They had outs and ways to stall the game for an answer, but they just aren't good players. However, at a certain point (usually in limited) you just get poo poo on, and it's ENTIRELY BASED ON LUCK. That's the lovely part.

Alright, so a lot of the same things I complain about, nice to know I'm not crazy.

As a side note, I play The Spoils, and why it has some constructed issues, I still swear by it for draft, and it does a combination of the 'any card's a resource' and the five color resource base. I also used to play duel masters and am getting into Kaijudo for my younger siblings and its answer is everything can be a land of the card color, which also is interesting.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KamikazeJim posted:

Basically if you're playing Risk and it's not Legacy or 2210/Godstorm, you're doing it wrong.

To be fair, I've played 30 minute games with 4 players with black box. But as I understand it, Legacy is Black Box+ so. . .

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Gort posted:

I had an idea for an RPG where your character was represented by a deck of cards. You'd build your dude by selecting various powers for him, then they'd all go in the deck. When you got hit, you'd discard some cards. When you hit zero, you were knocked out.

Anything like that on the market? It's basically the mechanic from the Fantasy Flight Lord of the Rings game, but there'd be more customisation of your character/deck.

I actually tried a game in design at an Unpub event that was basically this. It's kind of a cool idea, but I haven't seen one I can put my recommendation behind yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Harlock posted:

Forbidden Island on Ipad is fantastic.

Agreed. My five-year-old plays it by himself on occasion.

• Locked thread