Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Gort posted:

It's not a boardgame, but I have friends I won't multiplayer with in Civ 5 because waiting for them to finish their turns makes the game simply painful to play.

I have other friends I play civilization with that also kinda do this at times, so I have Peggle or British comedy to keep me entertained.

At times playing with AP players isn't that bad. If you end up narrowly losing you can just blame you losing focus/interest due to the long waits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I personally am going for buying everything in the order as it was released, because then I get to learn all the cards and mechanics in the "correct" order, so to speak. So I got the entire first cycle of 6 adventure packs and have ordered/am ordering the entire second cycle of Khazad-Dum and the 6 adventure packs that follow.

Speaking of close LotR games....

I have gone through the entire first cycle with a friend who's heavy into card games, but we haven't replayed it yet cause we were planning to play them 3-player with another friend who's into LotR and likes the LCG. So yesterday I was going to progress 2-player with the second friend, but it's been a while since he last played and because I already have all the adventure packs open, he had a lot of cards to read and implement in his deck.

This ended up with a decent-ish deck, but he didn't include Steward of Gondor, so we were really strapped for power. This was double-bad because we were playing Escape from Dol Guldur and his sole Tactics Hero was the one who got captured. He started with 29 threat and we had Ungolianth's Spawn as guardian of Gandalf's Map in the staging area, together with Dol Guldur Orcs. I thought I could run this with Eleanor instead of Eowyn because I had a good bunch of quest power in my ally cards, but I didn't realize he had no Steward of Gondor, so I could hardly afford any of them.

So the first quest phase sees us fail dramatically and gain 3 threat each, thanks to 2 Necromancers Passes making an appearance. So turn 1 combat has me dealing with Orcs I can block with Bilbo (2 armour, 2 hp) and my friend with Ungolianth's Spawn he can block with King Dain (3 armour, 5 hp). At least I luck out and draw Self Preservation for King Dain....

We get on our feet a bit and manage to keep killing enemies as they appear, making very, very slow progress on the quest as we keep having to clear locations while low-ish on willpower. The Encounter Deck runs out after 7 or 8 turns, then afterwards we finally manage to kill Ungolianth's Spawn. At this point we're in stage 2 and will rescue the prisoner. No biggy, we got a bunch of allies and everything is peachy. The Nazgûl goes down like a chump because my friend has all the combat power he needs and plays a Feint on the thing. However, we're going through the Encounter Deck for the second time so we draw a 4th Necromancer's Reach. I got a card to cancel this! The second card revealed is the 5th Reach card. No biggy, I can cancel this with Eleanor! At last she'll be crucially useful on this quest! Except the replacement card is yet another Reach. I lose 3 allies, my friend loses 1.

Because of this set-back, though, we can't burst through stage 2 of the quest and end up going through the entire Encounter Deck again just as we progress into stage 3.

At this point, however, the game is won. We just need to survive this combat round and then we can throw everything into questing and finish the final stage! Our threat is 44 for me, 46 for my friend. As I have the torch, we'll survive this!

My friend is attacked by Orcs, we laugh about how he's going to overkill them by 10 damage or so. King Dain, Superdwarf, defends against these lowest of foes. The shadow card gets dealt, it is Ungolianth's Spawn and boosts his threat by 4. That god drat spider that had been mocking us the entire first half of the game got shuffled to the top when we went through the deck for the third time and delivered a crushing blow.

We were a minute away from winning this grueling hour and half quest, and the very last shadow card to be dealt killed us :( It was fun and thrilling, but we could already taste victory when it was snatched away!

Chomp8645 posted:

I understand that when creating the galaxy players have to complete ring 1 around Mecatol before Ring 2, and Ring 2 before Ring 3. But while creating a given ring, do tiles have to be laid down sequentially in some manner, or can you place a tile anywhere as long as it's within the proper ring? Example below.

I have always played it as put it anywhere in the proper ring. If you had to follow a sequential order that'd take away a lot of freedom.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Nitis posted:

Consider drafting your tile stacks, too. By that I mean, take one and pass the stack on. It helps homogenize the stacks a bit, and even them out. If you know what your race/preliminary objective are, you can also build your stack accordingly.

We started drafting our stacks after a game where one guy got a 1/1 planet and all the rest empty space tiles.

I have since developed a "secret weapon" method for use when somebody has pissed me off too much in previous games. By drafting only empty tiles (which nobody will see coming) in a 5 player game, if your target is seated behind you on position 4 or 5, you can ensure that half his area of the galaxy will be empty space. This is unfair as gently caress, but I consider someone trying to rush me to take out my home system at the start of round 2 just as bad.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I need help, I am an addict :(

3 months ago I spent the 300€ bonus I got at work on boardgames. This month my boardgame club was ordering new games and offered the members to order through them with a 15% discount, so I'm spending another 200€ :(

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

How did this thread get the "13 crack pipes" subtitle?

Love Letter has 13 rose tokens to represent roses the princess gives to you when your love letter reaches her. People were saying you could buy those cheap plastic roses that come in glass tubes to give the game some more class, but then you're left with the glass tubes (ie, crack pipes).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

You could buy the combination of Dominion and Ticket to Ride that is Trains. It even has a SU&SD review.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ugh.... stop making me want even more highly complex games, guys.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Krypsis posted:

How challenging is it? Will we find ourselves winning the game 90% of the time after we get used to the rules and strategies?

Sometimes you'll walk through a quest with almost no problems thanks to luck of the draw.

Sometimes you can just about lose during setup.

There is one quest that has a treachery card that will exhaust all heroes that can't pay any power token, but before you can place any power tokens on them.

It is a pretty challenging game overall and the unfair situation above is really a unique situation. And if it happens you just reshuffle and start the quest again. It is great fun too if you're a LotR fan.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Nibble posted:

By the way, I'd really recommend the rest of the progression series videos for anyone on the fence about buying the game. It'll give you a really good idea of the pace and flow (for 2 players at least) and they explain everything well enough that if you do a quick read-through of the rules you should have no problem following along. Just don't watch too much, half the fun of the quests is discovering all the unique nasty surprises the hard way.

I love that progression series, I watched the first 2 episodes and that sold me on the game. Now I'm just watching an episode after beating the quest myself. I think I'm going to spoil the nightmare scenarios though, just to see how bad it can get.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Pander posted:

I just find it hard enough with 2 flips per quest cycle when I play with my gf, and all the associated analysis paralysis. I couldn't imagine how 3+ players would be any better.

You get access to a lot more flexibility and heroes to quest/fight.

There is a limit of 3 identical cards per deck, not per game, so you can have up to 9 sneak attacking Gandalfs if you want and are very, very lucky.

Though some quests do get a lot harder due to higher risk of simultaneous debilitating When Revealed effects, and of course you cycle through the encounter deck faster so you're going to be seeing some of them twice.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I introduced my girlfriend to Dungeon Lords in a 2-player game and she ended up with a fully conquered 5 tile dungeon, with only 3 captured adventurers and a single monster (the demon) that didn't even get to kill a hero thanks to a spell. She still enjoyed it very much and ended up in the positive with 3 points!

2-player Dungeon Lords is so much more unforgiving, goddamn.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Try playing dungeon lords with the expansion :getin:

Oh I know, gently caress those bards and the dwarf paladin.

I didn't want to throw her into the deep end, though, and start her off with 2-player Dungeon Lords Festival Season.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

cenotaph posted:

I understand what you mean but it's just weird to say that, among people not invested in winning, people will make bad/irrational/whatever plays. You can say that about any game.

In regular boardgame you're invested for 1-3 hours, in play-money poker you can just "buy in" again until your crazy bets start paying off.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's a lot of games though, they succeed or fail based on the people you play them with.

The most important person playing being yourself. Just because a bunch of other people are enjoying themselves immensely with a game doesn't mean you're going to like it.

One thing I started about a year ago is reading the game's rulebook before buying it. I find it a good indicator of me potentially enjoying the game.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The way I read is is that you also pay the penalty if the flaw is discovered pre-flight. The part gets removed and remains in the warehouse, giving you a 1 credit fine for not delivering it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

What are people thoughts on the Imperium Rex card anyhow?

I leave in Imperium Rex but place it on the bottom of the pack, because I find it too arbitrary for the game to end on turn 5 just because someone had Bureaucracy and a 1 point lead. Stage 2 objectives are pretty game-determining already, by the time we get there #1 and 2 on the VP track are around 6-7 with their secret objective still to play.

It also stings less when someone wins due to getting 10 points (they played decently to get there) vs someone winning just because they managed to dig up Imperium Rex in time.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Elos posted:

So how good is Twilight Imperium with the original strategy cards? Am I going to torpedo my group chances of liking the game by using just the base game? There's a lot of conflicting stuff about it on the internet and I'm not sure how much of it is just nerds being nerds and BGG users being horrible.

They're not going to dislike it due to the strategy cards. For all the moaning we do about them, the base game isn't bad. It's just that if you have ever played it with the expansion cards, you won't really see a reason to go back to the original ones. But they are a big improvement so if they like the game, get the expansion ASAP so you can have more fun.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly the most important factor in one's enjoyment of a first run of Twilight Imperium is understanding the god drat rules.

I dunno. My very, very first game of TI3 started at eight in the evening and involved 3 of us punching out everything and detaching the plastic units while the owner started to read the rules. We played about a and a half turn before calling it a night at half past one.

I got intrigued by the game and got it myself so I could do it some justice. Plus I don't know the owner very well, couldn't afford to wait on another invitation!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Got to play Lord of the Rings: Nazgúl yesterday, we did full co-op on Hard. Me and my friends enjoyed it a lot, even though the production value of the components isn't to write home about. The cards are pretty thin and there is a small typo on the gameboard, but I don't really mind if the game is solid.

In the game you're all Nazgúl who have to beat the Free Peoples of Middle Earth in Rohan, Gondor and stop the Ring-Bearer in 9 turns, or the Ring gets destroyed and everybody dies. Playing on Hard meant we had to clear all 12 stages (4 stages divided over the three different campaigns) and we had 4 quests per turn (1 per player). The game plays up to 5, but I couldn't find a fifth free LotR nerd :(

The game is all about fighting battles against the Free Peoples and their Heroes. Every unit is a cube that gets added to a cup, from which each player can draw a number of cubes up to their Nazgúl's stats. This means that bringing in a lot of weak orcs will lower the chance of doing a lot of damage, but it will also lower the chance of drawing enemy cubes that can kill your army. Every player also has a Terror value that will bar enemy army cubes from getting added to the cup, while some Heroes have Inspiration that cancels Terror. Half the Heroes are no-names, which are 'easy' to defeat. Some strong ones will completely gently caress you over all by themselves, summoning more Free Peoples and Heroes to reinforce a stage and making it even harder to capture.

Everyone can get a bunch of Power Cards to help themselves/other players manage the heroes, their favour for buying armies and other fun things. These help you control the randomness of the Hero draws, so the battles aren't completely decided by random chance. I really liked the controllable randomness, it leaves enough tension without making you feel like the game is playing you.

The Quests are nicely spaced, too. The first 3 turns you get quests that will reinforce the stages, so the game gets harder but you can slow it down by fighting the reinforcements (but this means your Nazgúl is not helping to defeat a stage). The middle 3 turns has quests that are almost all positive, while the last 3 turns again have quests to make the stages harder to beat.

We managed to kill Aragorn on turn 5 and then took down a few other decent Heroes, then we fought our way through Gondor, then Rohan and finally stopped Frodo and Sam on turn 9. Everyone had fun and the game was pretty god-drat tense at times, especially the Aragorn fight.

One thing we al agreed on is that the "semi co-op" would be pretty god-drat hard and potentially un-fun. The game was designed as being co-op, but with VP so that in the end either everyone loses or one person wins. This would lead to a lot of 'backstabbing' and I'm pretty sure nobody would have really cheered Aragorn being killed, because that rear end in a top hat is worth a lot of points.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I just had a moment of existential dread. My girlfriend is a nerd and hasn't played a lot of boardgames, but she's been loving the ones we've played so far.

But I haven't mentioned Munchkin, while I own it and several expansions. What the gently caress will I do when she discovers it somewhere and wants to play?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I have to apologize for my earlier Munchkin remark, it was meant mostly in jest, but I see it stirred up quite a fuss. Sorry!

Power Grid and Power Grid: First Sparks are both decent games that involve plenty of strategy and play 6. A bit math-heavy, though, because you have to calculate just how much you can afford certain things.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I took a break from the thread because I was buying too many games, but I NEED to come back to bitch. Last week I played a 5 player Mage Knight with a guy who at his worst took a 20 minute turn :gonk: Took us 8 hours to get through the quick campaign.

I am internally debating getting it for myself so I can play it without him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The Yin Brotherhood is so horrible in TI:3 that in some ways its a benefit since you can easily show and tell people how little of a threat you are. Then sneak your way into a win once things settle down.

Eh, they have a decent starting fleet for expansion and their racial ability that lets you suicide your destroyers into fully stocked carriers or damaged war suns is amazing. They have a good invasion combat ability and a very useful stall action.

They're not top-tier, but definitely not horrible.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Played a 10 hour game yesterday, didn't stop, use my phone (except for checking my score at the end :eng101:) and didn't really take a break except for lunch. I'm starting to think I'm abnormal.

When my group plays big games, we always end up checking our phones/tablets in order to get some FAQ or other information regarding vague rules.

I'm starting to think I need to play less FFG.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The suicide ability is good provided you can survive that first turn and odds are if your opponent is paying attention he won't damage his big ships against you and will have a huge amount of fodder. You can also only activate it once per attack round. That's if you survive since most serious battles are decided in the first round.

Only if you are playing very defensively and people are building up big gently caress-off fleets (which have their own weaknesses). If you sprinkle 2-3 destroyers/cruisers along your borders, supported by Mine Fields, invading you will be too costly to be worth it. If they do invade, if they don't massively overcommit (and thus risking several mine hits), you have a chance to suicide into the opposing carrier.

But yeah, after thinking it through, they are a bit below average, but I'd rate the Sardakk, Nekro and the Arborec below them.

Sardakk because they take ages to get going. If they get going they're very strong, thus your neighbours will probably attack early and often.

Arborec a great if they get the racial tech that doubles the ground force production capacity. Plus a sluggish start due to needing ground forces to stay at home to build.

Nekro Virus are amazing, but in the end TI3 is a diplomacy game. The Nekro need to attack or they fall behind on tech and are excluded from a (sometimes) powerful part of the game (voting). Some laws are too important to be completely without influence on them.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Nope! They added exploding 6's so it's somehow more random, took away player on player interaction, and added actual player elimination (instead of die-and-respawn, they have a lives system that results in a Game Over if you run out). It's actually worse than Talisman.

If it is as terrible as it seems to be, wouldn't player elimination improve the game? It means it'll take less time overall and some people get release from that boardgame hell.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fellis posted:

Or drink when you lose a resource in BSG (cylons drink when basestar/centurion/heavy raider dies).

How could the humans even hope to win?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Re: Kemet

Jedit posted:

If a troop with a creature in it is completely removed by any means the creature is immediately placed with another troop you control. If you control no troops it goes onto its tile and is placed with the next troop you create. So the only time you don't have your creature to help with defence is when you don't have anything to defend with.

I'd like to add an important clarification here, straight from the manual: A creature can never be destroyed. If the last unit with a creature is destroyed, the creature is immediately put back in the city, on a district with at least one unit. If that is not possible, the creature is put back in the reserve, on its Power tile.

So if you send off creatures to go raiding, you are going to miss it when trying to defend your temple(s).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

On Yedo, I've only played it twice but I don't really get the accusations that it's too random. I felt like I couldn't do things because people were aggressively screwing me much more than randomness. On the second game we all ended up with scores within one point of each other so it seems to me that the randomness isn't swingy when considered over the course of the game. If you don't like the randomly gently caress everyone cards that are in the event deck, just take them - out the game is designed to be played without them. They do reward people who prepare for the worst though so I like them.

It's super thematic, looks really nice, has hilarious backstabbing and fistshaking, and we had a lot of fun. I'd say it's more of a tactical game then a strategic one so if you don't like games where you are trying to make the best of a bad situation every turn while vaguely keeping goals in mind then you might not like it.

My experience was that because nobody knows what missions you have drawn, people can't aggressively gently caress you over. Instead they'll gently caress you over due to them needing a spot for their mission, meaning you miss out on that money you needed to remain competitive. If you fall behind on money, you may just as well quit because nobody is going to give you any (unless they need one of your weapons to score big).

I won with a 30 point difference the second time we played because the other 3 people were inadvertently screwing over each other while I lucked out on early money and could pay people for the weapons I needed. If they didn't accept my money, they wouldn't have been able to do anything worthwhile to catch up, anyway, because I managed to get a big scoring mission when an event was revealed that doubled victory points gained.

It was fun to go around pretending to be a ninja master ordering my clan to kidnap people and murder dudes, but it is also very, very random in what you will be able to accomplish due to random secret mission draw, random weapons and being unable to even guess where someone is going to want to place their workers.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I played Legends of Andor yesterday, fun RPG game but it looks like it has zero replayability if you know what is coming in each adventure.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

How are Dungeon Lords/Dungeon Petz to play 2 player? Worth it or only if I'm going to get 3-4 regularly?

Dungeon Lords 2 player is fine, but it gets a bit more cut-throat as you only need to gently caress over 1 person to coast to victory. Which sucks if that other person is your girlfriend who isn't that experienced in boardgames and you decide to go easy on her, meaning you end up with 3 points while she has 30 because she's ruthless as gently caress.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Krazyface posted:

How does 1960: The Making of the President compare to Twilight Struggle? A quick look at the rulebook makes it seem mechanically similar--you play cards, either for the event or for points, which influence a map and a series of sliders. Is it any good?

It's a bit more luck dependant and it's a bit of a clusterfuck to know where all the states are if you're not an American. Plus it's harder to know who's winning unless you meticulously add/substract Electoral Votes every time a state swings around.

But it is fun and playing just Twilight Struggle can get old, so it is a nice diversion.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

A friend of mine is mighty interested in Moral Conflict 1941, but as it costs 185€ he's asking me for advice. I don't know the game, so I'm going to ask you goons for advice. Do I tell him to buy it so I can join in on stupidly epic WW2 gameplay?

He's got a bit of a hard on for WW3, so a big Axis and Allies fan, but he does play other boardgames and has quite an interest in them nowadays. He's buying it half with gift certificates, so the purchase isn't that big of a drain.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I tell myself my hobby isn't as expensive as racecar driving or flying planes or doing coke. Then I order another 200€ of board games.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Give him Munchkin, then walk away and play something else.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I explained the basic idea already. You drop an eight strength+ attack force (7 size, +1 attack, +critter later on) every turn, attack and recall it afterwards. Often you do not have troops on the board. It's the point because you're denying anyone the chance at easy VPs if your strength drops below max.

If you are only generating 1 VP per turn, how can you win? You can only attack one temple per turn, meaning there are 4 others left over for the rest of the players to take. Hell, if you recall everytime you take a loss (which should be every fight as everyone should have learned to save their +1 str /+3 dmg card card just for fighting you), there are 5 temples for 4 players. Plus the temple where you sacrifice for points. This means that 1 person should be getting 2 permanent points per turn, or 2 people one, something you cannot compete with even disregarding the prayer point income from temples.

If they all are trying to emulate your strategy, they are all idiots, because it can only "work" for the person with the 7 men troop tile. They should all profit like crazy from the fact that you are only ever going to do one attack per turn if you don't buy any movement increasing tiles. If you do buy those, you're going to have gotten some income from somewhere, meaning that you were on the board and thus vulnerable.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The only way to resolve this Kemet issue is a Kemet forum game.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Axis & Allies is fun as a 2v2, but you need an interest in WW2 and lots is smack talk to keep it interesting. Combat can be random as gently caress, but if you're fighting the big battles the dice should be more or less average (until someone rolls 8 ones).

If you have no special WW2 interest, I'd definitely say skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Madmarker posted:

So if you do get Kemet, for the love of whatever Deity you believe in/deride as non-existent foolishness, MAKE COPIES OF THE ENGLISH REFERENCE SHEET

Its a great game, that goes relatively quickly, but bogs down if you keep passing the reference sheet around like the worlds nerdiest blunt.

Or live in a country where people speak the languages the reference sheets come in.

Finally an advantage to being Belgian!

• Locked thread