Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

We also played a couple of rounds of Small World. You all know what Small World is, you all know it's a good game. Can't wait for Realms now that Small World is making its way onto my table all the time again.

I was thinking of picking this up, are any of the expansions worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Finally got around to playing my new copy of Dominant Species, coincidentally enough. 4 players, all new at the game, and we managed to finish in about 3 and a half hours, and it was a lot of fun! I ended up as the birds, migrating all over the place as my food sources kept dying out. Lot of big swings in the points lead, especially at the end with the Ice Age card, but everyone seemed to like it, so I'm sure we'll start hammering out strategies as we play more.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Yomtom posted:

Has anyone ever tried this dudes rules? Or found success with any other house rules? Or just left it the way it is and didn't find the need to change anything really.

My group has played with the treasure encumbrance rule, and it definitely makes the game less of a energy-based sprintfest.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

UnoriginalMind posted:

After reading the OP, I decided to scour the web for any copies of Space Alert. When was it last reprinted? Because it looks like it's not going to be available for a bit.

I e-mailed CSI a week or two ago and the response was that they were unofficially expecting a reprint at the end of August or early September.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played my first 4-player game of Dungeon Petz today. Game ended up pretty close despite everyone else being new to the game, more or less coming down to the end game business exhibitions. Everyone seemed to have a great time, especially with reading the descriptions for the pets and customers.

Has anyone played Last Will? The theme sounded hilarious, so I gave the rulebook a quick glance and it sounds like a pretty interesting worker placement game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

To answer this question from a couple of pages back...

Yes, Last Will is excellent. It is probably my game of the year for 2012 so far.

Last Will is essentially "Brewster's Millions: The Board Game". You have to spend all of your money as quickly as possible. Buy high, sell low. Go on extravagant boat trips with your horse. It's an engine building game, but your engine also has worth; at some point you have to dismantle your engine to win the game. It scales very well from 3-5 players (2 is... meh). I believe the game is out of stock just about everywhere; I asked Rio Grande Games why they weren't demoing it at Gen Con, and they said it was because they didn't want everyone to fall in love with a game that currently can't be purchased. Still, it's very good, so keep an eye out for the next printing.

CSI had two copies when I asked, but they're gone already, sadface. Actually, I just asked Rio Grande and they said they would be getting copies in next week, so it should be in stories in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea, what the gently caress.. I have to research the game I don't own and hopefully get the questions right to win?

Uh, this is pretty much how all BGG contests work. It's not like they don't provide you with the manuals right on the site to read through. The Space Alert handbook should be read by everyone anyways, it's fantastic.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of, is there any way to get sleeves for those extra long Space Alert threat cards? Even those lovely Mayday ones.

The only thing that comes close are Mayday Platinum sleeves. They're exactly the right width, but too long. I just sleeved them myself (had to toss 20+ sleeves between base+expansion threat cards because they were too thin, lol Mayday), but don't have any good way of trimming them unfortunately; scissors are too imprecise, and my wheel slicer thing is pretty dull :v: If anyone has any ideas for that, they'd be appreciated!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Welp.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/130704/mage-knight-board-game-the-lost-legion-expansion

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
New Galaxy Trucker parts, aaaaaaaaaaa
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1423530/galaxy-trucker-another-big-expansion

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Says where exactly?
Any info about the price?

What Murmak meant by "available another way" was semi-ambiguous. It could have meant the anniversary edition itself or the extra stuff that will come with it, or both.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10071728#10071728

quote:

Yes, extra stuff for play will be available also to long time fans

At first we will have them in Essen but they will be also available another way.

Speaking of which, I found the amount of whining in there over limited edition stuff pretty funny.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
CSI has Space Alert back in stock.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Moogs posted:

I'm into the more serious games (Robo Rally, Space Alert, etc.) but I also like a light game, maybe a card game like Loot to warm up the night or wrap it up. What other easily learned, relatively short (30 minute range) games would you guys recommend?

7 Wonders or Travel Blog would probably work. 7W is in the OP, Travel Blog is like a Euro take on the geography trivia genre.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Are there any 'build the board and explore' games like Mansions / Betrayal that don't suck? The exploration concept sounds awesome to me but thus far all the ones I've seen that do this fail in execution.

The only other one I can think of that has this mechanic is Zombies!! and we all know how bad that game is.

If you mean you build the board as you play, Vlaada's Mage Knight is fantastic. If you're talking about modular map board games in general, Earth Reborn is cool too.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pander posted:

7 Wonders has the best box. It's solid, it has labeled trenches for all the cards (under which you can easily sort the fiddly bits), and a side component for storing scoring sheets, leader cards, and all the Cities expansion card and bits, with the 10 game boards acting as a cover to these. The base game and its two expansions all fit nice and snug. I don't know if another expansion would fit, but for where it's at it's drat nice.

I just wish they made the card trenches big enough for sleeves. Seasons almost got this right with their insert, but then they forgot to make the trenches deep enough to account for the sleeved cards.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Moogs posted:

Argh!

What's the deal with the Anniversary edition? It's just the expansion pack too, right? Is there any reason to hold off for that?

It has the base game, both expansions, some new kind of gameplay cards and a mini-comic. Apparently there was some kind of production issue leading to the 2nd standalone expansion card backs not matching up with those of the base game and the first expansion, but everything matches in the Anniversary edition cards.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Also late on sleeve chat, but I've heard pretty good things about these for Dominion, and they're pretty inexpensive.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

saint gerald posted:

Oh, Vlaada. You so dreamy.

First game is tomorrow lunchtime. :neckbeard: I can't wait to get beat down by General Volkare.

I'd be playing mine right the hell now if I wasn't in the middle of moving :(

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Combaticus posted:

I must say I found the way the rules are set up a bit annoying, at first it seems like a clever way of presenting the rules but I'd love it if there was a "Pure rules" rulebook. I think we managed to play correctly with the androids, I must say that the extra level of control does leave you quite confused at some points though, and it's probably easier to just manage just one crew member. But I think having had a go at it beforehand will help us teach the basics to our friends.

There is a pure rulebook, there should be both the in-character training manual as well as a booklet that's just a straight presentation of the rules.

In other news, finally played my first game of Caylus today, two player. drat, the chess with victory points comparison that I've heard feels right on.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

e: And I'm pretty sure the dummy is just for single

It's for both sp and co-op because neither of them have the whole competitive aspect that can force the end of a round like in an adversarial game.

e:f;b

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

SuperNuts posted:

I want to buy some sleeves for my games
Owned and have:
Mage Knight + expansion
Twilight Struggle
Mage Wars + expansion
Space Alert

Ordered but haven't come yet:
Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
7 Wonders

Can anyone suggest some good sleeves? Since I haven't received the new games I purchased I'm not sure what size the cards are etc. I'd like some decent sleeves that will still allow me to shuffle the cards pretty well. Thanks.

Ultra Pro has sleeves that are sized just for 7 Wonders that are great.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I've only used the new alternate ship types and non-internal threat encounter cards from the second expansion so far, but those alone have been worth the cost.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

These Loving Eyes posted:

Was there any talk of making the Japan-art version widely available in Europe and the US? I don't know what it is, but the Western version just looks so goddamn uninspired to me that I don't want to pull the trigger on the game, even though it's praised every other page here.

There's supposed to be a limited version with the original art coming out sometime this year for the US, but it's been a while since I last heard of it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

ed: I guess another quick recommendation question while I'm at it -- Planning to get Dungeon Lords (though not for a while, gotta play out the games I already have more), already owning Dungeon Petz. How similar is the "feel" of the two games? I don't want one game to make the other redundant.

They're not that much alike other than in aesthetics, so go crazy. Dungeon Lords owns hard.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

UnoriginalMind posted:

What's the best way to condense Dominion and its expansions? Use a new box or put it all in one with baggies? Or should I find a different box?

I used these and made paper dividers. All the expansions and promos combined now take up about two large dominion boxes worth of space.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

xopods posted:

I'm glad I didn't get the expansion, then. That seems counter to the whole philosophy of the game. Although the base game isn't quite as hard as I was hoping (or led to believe), what I like about it is that it's very fair... if you gently caress up, it's definitely your own fault (or at least, you knew you were taking a big gamble). Draw a random event and resolve it with no chance to prepare sounds... well, Ameritrashy for lack of a better word.

There's definitely no card like that in Festival Season. He might be thinking of the one that when it's revealed, you simultaneously reveal 3 more event cards, of which one is randomly chosen when the special event season rolls around. Festival Season is awesome, in conclusion :v:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

So, what about that other aliens game I hear about? It's supposed to be compatible with LNoE. Zombie aliens?

I only played it a couple of times, but the alien side seemed ridiculously overpowered to me.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1039560/sneak-preview-part-1

Some info on Vlaada's new game. Sounds pretty abstract-influenced, combined with cards.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The box art for Dungeon Petz: Dark Alleys is amazing

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1803897/dungeon-petz-dark-alleys

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Peaked posted:

7 Wonders may fit the bill for you. It's not extremely heavy on the interactivity, but it is there. The rules are fairly simple and it supports 2-7.

On an unrelated note, I just picked up Caylus and have gotten two games in thus far. I'm really enjoying it but both games I've played have run rather long and I'm concerned that will make it difficult to get it on the table in the future. The first game was with 5 players, all new, while my second game was myself and one other new player. Obviously, all the new players was likely a big factor, but the first game took close to four hours, ignoring the time spent explaining rules, and we didn't even finish. The two player game still took a fair bit over two.

Those of you with more experience with the game, how long does one play through typically take you?

I've only ever played 2p Caylus, but games usually take around an hour for me, 80 minutes at the most. I'd guess that once your group gets more experience, 5p games would go down to about 2 and a half hours.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Trynant posted:

Folks, Rampage is amazing and needs more people praising discussing it.

It's a dexterity game where you control a monster made of a wooden, "feet" disk and a wooden stand-up; and your goal is to flick disks, drop your figure on buildings (made of meeples and cardboard tiles of course), throw wooden truck figures, and breathe as your breath attack to knock down and gobble up as much stuff as possible.

It's amazing. Not only does the game have the incredibly satisfying and silly knocking down of stuff, but the rules are coherent enough to make a playable game as well as a silly dexterity experience. Play this. Really.

Seconded. Ludovic Maublanc, the guy that designed Ca$h 'n Gun$, has his fingers all over the design in terms of the tactility of the mechanics and components, and it's absolutely glorious.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Warhammer: Diskwars. Don't even do any research, just go out and buy it. It looks dumb, but it's the bomb.

Alternatively, if you were thinking about skirmish games, like Infinity or whatever, there' Earth Reborn, Dust, and a myriad of dungeon crawlers reminiscent of Space Hulk.

Going to second Earth Reborn, because it does not get the love it deserves.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Finally played my first game of Hansa Teutonica, 4p, it was dope.

Played through the first three scripts of Tragedy Looper as well, first two as Mastermind, third as a Protag. GAME IS AWESOME GET IT. It's really easy to teach and learn, and the cycle of building and releasing tension with every loop is one of the most unique boardgame experiences I've had. Assuming you have a halfway competent group and mastermind, it's practically an experience generator that also happens to be a well-designed and mechanically tight game. Only thing I'm worried about is coming up with scripts as good as the ones that come in the box once we've exhausted those.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

This game always deserves more attention. It's a badass no-luck cube pusher. Also one of the first popular games (to my knowledge) that featured the elegant and satisfying "upgrade your board by taking poo poo off it and revealing the magic underneath" mechanic that all the cool new games use now.

Through the Ages did it earlier I think, but yea, I love that aspect of it and how confrontational for a Euro it is, with blocking and displacement.

Madmarker posted:

How many scripts come with the game, that seems like an important point in figuring out the longevity of this game.

What Scyther said, but there's an expansion out there that comes with another 30 scripts that will hopefully get translated.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Since when is 'Experience Generator' a pejorative? I've never seen it as an insult, really.

I think in this thread at least you could get the impression of it having a negative connotation since it's usually applied to games that are mechanically weak (Tales, SMERSH, etc), but I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

I've got an idea kicking around for something where players play as Fates, like a Fate of Tragedy and Fate of Comedy, and the battle is both you and the other player simultaneously pulling for your desired end-state of s central character while not over-complicating the actual story.

You actually sort of do this in Tragedy Looper, since most of the time one of the main conditions for the 3 protagonist players winning is keeping a certain individual alive to the end of a loop, while the Mastermind player tries to kill that character off.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Temporum stuff

Age of Cats

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Is anyone here going to Youmacon at the end of the month by any chance?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I may! I live in Rochester Hills so it's that annoying "far enough away where you'd want to get a hotel to really enjoy it, but close enough to not be able to justify paying for a hotel" thing. I might go for one afternoon though.

Nice, PM me or something if you're going, I'll be there the whole time, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Dominant Species, Urban Sprawl, Concordia, and Terra Mystica all have information symmetry.

• Locked thread