Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

The true top games should be Tigris And Euphrates, Through the Ages and Napoleon's Triumph. Give me a 3 hour cerebral marathon or give me death.

If I had to play Tigris and Euphrates for three hours, I would welcome death.

There's a fun little deck builder game called Miskatonic School for Girls that emerged from the depths of Kickstarter a couple of months ago. It differs from the normal DBG style of play in that the objective is not to win by improving your deck, but to make everyone else lose faster than you by making their decks worse. It's not deep, and it should have come in a smaller box and been $15 cheaper, but if you've got a few beers to hand and have always wanted to feed a prep school hockey team to a shoggoth it's a good way to pass the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

As far as A Few Acres of Snow, it seems like the only reason it is "by design, unfixable" is because to fix it would be to destroy its historical accuracy. Not that I give a poo poo about that, personally.

Many Commands and Colours scenarios have the same problem with historical imbalance. The usual way to handle it is for each player to play both sides once, and the winner is the person with the best overall record.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

flashdim posted:

How about DungeonQuest? Apparently it's pretty brutal, though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71061/dungeonquest-third-edition

I've got the old Games Workshop edition, which I think is 2nd ed (1st ed being the original Drak Borgen), and can attest to its brutality. The winner is the person who escapes with the most treasure, but the game is quite literally designed from the ground up to gently caress over the greedy. To get the best treasure in the game requires playing Russian roulette, having your escape route cut off is not just possible but expected, and you can burn half your resources trying to get a random treasure only to find it's practically worthless. I have seen four-player games won when one player found the item with the lowest possible value in the first room and elected to flee with it, simply because he was the only player to survive.

If you can get past the prospect of near-certain death, though, it is a very fun game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

War of the Rings: We didn't go through the rules as thoroughly as would have been optimal so I'm sure we played this incorrectly. It was alright: I played as Sauron and pretty much swept Rohan and Gondor before they could do much, and from then on the writing was on the wall. I think I would need another try to really judge it since as I played it, it felt a little bit off. I can't recommend it or not at this point.

War of the Ring is a truly epic game, but it has some flaws that were only corrected in the expansion. If you play again without it, use the Galadriel Rule: if Lorien has not fallen, then once per game you can use an Elven Ring to remove all corruption from the Ringbearer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

puschel posted:

Hey guys I hope someone can help me with the following and recommend me a game. My friends and I are enjoying playing axis and allies and settlers. Problem is we are looking for a game that combines both elements into one game. So basicly trading resources and building cities or/and units like in settlers while also having battles for territories or resources like in axis or risk. Is there a game that has this while also having a cool map and maybe not be in space or futuristic?

If it wasn't nearly impossible to find these days, I'd suggest Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization. It does exactly what you want, and is a great game to boot - albeit with a 6-12 hour play time. I've given some serious thought to making my own set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

So, I've started doing some volunteering that involves my wife and I acting as big brother/big sister to some disadvantaged kids. We've been thinking of getting a cool boardgame that we could all play together. The kids are 8 years old so it can't be too complicated, but the little boy already really likes Warhammer.

I was thinking that either the Warhammer game mentioned on the first page, or perhpas Space Alert would be fun, but wanted to see if they'd be ok for 8-10 year old.

CitOW is a bit complex for an 8-10 year old - it's recommended for age 14+. Something like Smallworld might be a better idea. Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is also a good, quick game with fairly simple rules, though it may lose somewhat if you're not familiar with the books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Every day the board game drama continues to surprise me:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/811447/latest-update/page/1

tldr Some really schizophrenic lady took people's money for a Kickstarter a year ago and still hasn't produced any real material. Not enough :stare: to go around

It already has its own thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495206

But yeah, it's pretty messed up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

Okay my friends and I have played a lot of Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium, so we're used to long and complex games. I want to try Diplomacy. The rules are not very easy to understand. Does anyone know of any good resources for Diplomacy?

The rules of Diplomacy are very simple once you understand support. Here's a tutorial that explains how the first few turns might work: http://www.sff.net/people/jbailey/diplo.htp

Beyond that, my only advice would be not to play Diplomacy with your friends if you intend keeping them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EddieDean posted:

Can anyone link to any resources about traditional boardgames ported to android devices?

I'd love to be able to play Catan, Dominion, Neuroshima Hex, etc on my mobile with friends.

Catan is only for heilPhones, I think, but there's a free Dominion adap called Androminion and a fairly cheap version of Neuroshima Hex. I haven't tried multiplayer on either, but I do know they support it. Androminion also supports pass-and-play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Randalor posted:

I've seen people get into escalating curse wars before. The winner was the person who's score sucked the least (0, next highest was -5, after factoring in victory cards)

And it didn't occur to anyone to think "Hmmm, maybe I should buy a Province"? That's not a problem with Dominion, it's a problem with the idiots playing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pizza Dude posted:

Every now and then me and a couple friends like to play a game of Catan and have a lot of fun. What would you dudes recomend for something new? Something that can be played in around 90 minutes would be ideal. Also, keep in mind that Catan is pretty much everyones only venture into board games, and none of us would want to play something with a theme based around an ip of some sort (like Battlestar Gallactica or Game of Thrones)

For me, I'd say the natural graduation from Catan would be Caylus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

I played my first game of Arkham Horror last night. As I arrived to the games night I saw two groups, one large, one small. I sat down with the large group and five hours later the game was over. I truly see what everyone complains about with this game. Too many elements that are required to win can only be obtained randomly making strategy a bit of a joke.

No disrespect, but I don't think you know enough about Arkham Horror to judge that from a single play. You probably haven't seen more than 10% of the base set yet. Unless someone has told you or you looked it up, you won't know which unstable locations are the best ones to seal and which you can get away with only closing. You also maybe won't know which characters are best to use for cleaning up monsters and which should be used to seal gates, or how to set your sliders in Other Worlds, or how to alter your play style based on which Ancient One is in play. AH can be brutal sometimes - there's a saying among players that if you win your first game, you've forgotten a rule - but there is definitely strategy involved, and experienced players will beat the base set close to 100% of the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not really the best argument for this game being good.

The base set is somewhat unbalanced in favour of the player once you figure out the most common gate locations. Seal those, and you gain much more time to accumulate resources to finish the game. Though a random element remains, it becomes much easier. You wouldn't sit down to play cribbage for the first time and complain that the game was bad because someone who's been playing for years beats you hollow. This is just the same.

And as Sherrard said, the sweet spot for Arkham Horror is four players. More than that leads to overlong downtime and thinly spread resources; fewer, and threats start multiplying faster than you can cope. It's common for people to play four investigators solo or two each in a two-player game. The game will take longer than two hours while you're learning, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Also one house rule which should've been planned into the game from the get go is this:

When you get an encounter, YOU don't read it. The guy next to you reads it and when he comes to a check or decision, he doesn't tell you the outcome. You have to decide as blind as your character. And hey presto, suddenly the encounters aren't boring games of odds anymore, they feel like proper adventures.

It would've been nice if this had been planned in from the start so they could've formatted the cards better to suit the rule.

They intended the game to be playable solo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deviant posted:

which is a special kind of 'kill yourself' sad.

But oh so thematically satisfying. I could tell you what it's like to play Arkham Horror solo, but you would surely go mad.

(It's probably squamous, though.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mokotow posted:

I've just found out about Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, and it just so happens that my friend with whom I wanted to play this is currently in London, UK. Now, there's no chance in hell to buy it in :poland:. I need to point my buddy to a store in London - considering he doesn't know the city, where would one go to get that game?

You've actually got a good chance of finding it in Waterstone's book shops. However, it is possible to find the game in Poland because there's a Polish language edition published by Phalanx Games. It comes in around 150 zloty depending where you go, and would at current exchange rates be as cheap or cheaper than buying it in the UK.

You didn't say where in Poland you are, so here's a list of some major cities. If none of them are of use, you can find more Polish stores at this link: http://www.gamesfanatic.pl/gdzie-kupic/

Krakow: http://dragonus.pl/index.php?products=product&prod_id=2724

Lodz: http://strategiacg.shoper.pl/pl/p/Swiat-Dysku-Ankh-Morpork/2265

Poznan: http://kawroz.pl/swiat_dysku_-_ankh-morpork,0,954.html

Warzsawa: http://www.planszomania.pl/strategiczne/3340/Swiat-Dysku--Ankh-Morpork.html (out of stock, but they have the English language edition)

Wroclaw: http://www.planszoweczka.pl/pl/p/Swiat-Dysku-Ankh-Morpork/1293

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

In the UK, Waterstones, the biggest, mainstrteam, book store in the country, stocks Ankh-Morpork. It's the only niche board game, along with Forebidden Island, which is stocked by mainstream shops.

Waterstones actually stock quite a few niche games, including Battles of Westeros, the LOTR and Game of Thrones LCGs, Z-Man's Guards! Guards! and for some reason, Gears of War and Zombies!. I've seen others as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Wow, thanks for the list! I had no idea there's so many board game retailers here, though come to think of it, the fact there are Graal chain stores spread around Warsaw's malls should be a tip - that's making assumptions for you. I'll let my buddy hunt for a copy in London (isn't Ankh-Morpork modelled after the city? Would be a nice touch to get it from there!), and if that doesn't work out, I'll look for a copy in English here. Playing it in Polish wouldn't be too much fun for us, considering we only read the original language versions of the Discworld novels. Thanks guys for the tips!

No problem. You'll find the English edition costs about 180 zloty in Poland, which is scarcely more expensive than your friend will find it in the UK. The box is about 13" square by 3" deep, for the purposes of getting it into luggage not made of sapient pearwood.

Shame to hear you only read Discworld in English, BTW. I have a Polish edition of Mort (looking for a home, BTW - mint, unread and signed :D) and I was curious about how the Sto Lat joke translates.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The General posted:

There are people in this day an age without a time machine?

Yes - the ones who are actually from this day and age.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Randalor posted:

I'm just curious, but why is there so much hate for Talisman? From what I've seen, it seems to be very much "Love it or hate it" going by what other people have said on BGG.

It's pretty much totally random and unbalanced. I like it for the nostalgia factor - I grew up with 2nd Edition - but I have no interest in upgrading from my 3E base set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ I do, and if played properly games rarely go above 90 minutes. The rules people forget:

1) Fines do not go on Free Parking. They return to the bank and disappear from the game.

2) If a player lands on an unowned property and does not elect to buy it at the list price, it is auctioned from an opening bid of its mortgage value.

Crackbone posted:

Randomness isn't a problem in an of itself. But Munchkin, and Talisman both commit several sins along with it:

- The victor is often known and cemented well before the game ends

Not strictly true in Talisman. The Crown of Command mechanic makes a player of your choice admit defeat or lose a life. This allows people who are in the Inner Circle to potentially catch you up, but anyone who isn't should just admit defeat. What drags the game out is players who have no chance of winning refusing to concede.

I haven't played Munchkin, but I've heard the big problem with that is the level of kneecapping being so high that winning the game is nearly impossible so long as anyone doesn't want you to win.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 30, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Monopoly is a kaleidoscope of comedy because the same horrible business practices that the original game protested were used to steal the product from the original designer, bully better games off of shelves, and ruin each individually played game to this day.

It gets better. The cost price of a Monopoly set is only pennies less than the retail price. So while shops have to stock it because it's Monopoly, they make zero profit from it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Harlock posted:

From what I've been told, the second edition added a sixth faction at the bottom right of the map where Tyrell and Baratheon are usually unopposed. I wonder how much that changes the balance of the game. It seems like Stark would be stronger in that scenario.

Not as such, because it frees Lannister from some early pressure from Baratheon and lets them go north. They also get better ports to oppose Greyjoy, which was their other major weakness.

FFG realised after launch that with perfect strategy the game was unbalanced against Lannister and fixed it in the first expansion; 2E incorporates those fixes. The same thing was done with War of the Ring - Sauron is a bit too quick, so the Lorien rule was added to allow the Free Peoples to move the Fellowship faster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mikeycp posted:

This is how it is in the town I went to school in. I had to either use Amazon, or wait till I went home for a weekend or something to go to my normal store.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a game store in Sacramento that I could drive to; I never actually checked for one...

Great Escape Games on Howe Avenue, maybe? Seems to be mostly Magic and Games Workshop, but they do have a big rack of games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

Here is a common question for you fine folks. I am looking for a game that plays well (or best) with two that I can play with my fiance. She likes Lost Cities, though I am not the biggest fan. She also likes Galaxy Truckers and Ingenious. Relatively portable would be a plus but isn't necessary. Also, while I have listed lighter games, she can handle meaty games. She really likes Dungeon Lords.

If you want to prioritise relatively easy rules but don't mind depth, then I'd go with Caylus. IMO Caylus head-to-head is as rewarding as chess.

If portability is a bit more important and you play to play rather than to win, then you might want to try FFG's Death Angel. It's a cooperative card game with a fair amount of challenge, and there are also low cost expansion packs if you want to add variety.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've played Death Angel once, and it's been a long time so I can't remember all the details, but I remember it being a bad, bad game with serious design issues.

Well, I've whipped it out in a game shop a time or five and I've never caught anyone not enjoying themselves. A few have even bought their own copy afterwards. If it has design issues I haven't spotted them, apart from maybe suicide dashes making some of the end rooms a bit of a coinflip, but suicide runs are thematic anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

This is a weird thing to read.

Well, it's nice to have a game you can play whenever you want and not have to worry about losing any of the pieces. Apart from the all-important context, anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gilgamesh posted:

Just got my new Android tablet. Can anyone recommend any good hot-seat boardgameish games? (Yes, I realize iPad is better for this kind of thing, but it was way out of my price range). I already got the obligatory Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan. I was disappointed that the Cloud 9 clone was single-human-player only.

I think Neuroshima Hex can be played in hotseat mode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Seems I might be the only person here who has Miskatonic School For Girls. I'm on my phone so can't go into great detail, but it's a very light game where the objective is to screw up your opponents decks faster than they can screw up yours. It won't keep you happy all night like Dominion might, but it's a fun icebreaker. Just be sure to use the Maniacal Cackling rule.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Someone was asking about the player sweet spot for Miskatonic School For Girls the other day. It's a purely social game with a strong random element and few strategic decisions. As such you want as many players as possible. It's not less fun to play head to head, there's just less point in playing because you shouldn't be playing to win.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't hate them, they just don't do anything for me. This is going to go on a wild tangent, but the amount of sauces you can put on sweet potatoes feels a lot more limited than the sauces you can put on regular potato fries, which are typically saltier and thus a better complement to different ketchups. Mango chutney ketchup and curry ketchup just don't work as well on sweet potato, which limits the available options.

HP Sauce. Get it down your neck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lorini posted:

The other thing is that Vasel doesn't praise the games like Undead and Drakkenstrike do, and then sell them in two weeks. It makes them look like hypocrites and reduces any credibility they might have.

I don't know how many reviews these people do per month, but they may have to sell their review copies on to make room for the next intake.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Don't they do as a shorthand and a way to avoid stupid trademark issues? The shorthand is obvious, because it allows them to make better use of the space on the card. "R+D" takes up way less room than "Corp's Deck" and sounds more thematic. They can't use well known phrases that other games use (like tap) because the mechanic called 'tapping' is patented by WoTC.

(IANAL)

I'm not sure why you think WOTC-trademarked names would be a problem for Fantasy Flight, given that they already had to buy everything else in the game from WOTC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

1st or 2nd edition?

I don't think you're likely to find one that's fully painted to a quality that isn't "blind man throwing buckets at a wall" unless you commission it yourself (say, from PaintVagrant :v: ) (oh wait, he's not doing large commissions any more. Welp!)

If he's asking if anyone would be interested in it, then he's selling, not buying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Admin Understudy posted:

Well, once you play Go you sort of have to drop your rating of Chess to indicate Go is a better game.

It really is not, and as they're only nominally the same type of game it's nonsensical to compare them directly. Personally I prefer chess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The General posted:

Shadowfist, babylon 5 and Jyhad could all use LCGs

Shadowfist is already getting an LCG release. The kickstarter finished a few weeks ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If anyone was thinking of getting in on the Dreadball kickstarter, be warned that the top value bonus levels have been capped as the first print run is running out and Mantic want to be sure everyone gets their goodies for Christmas. The $150 Striker level is going especially quickly, having had over 100 pledges overnight.

For those who haven't seen it yet: Dreadball is a future sport boardgame that reminds a lot of people of Blood Bowl because it has orc and skaven teams, but is more like Speedball 2 in gameplay. Play time should be 45-60 minutes.

The base game ($80) comes with two teams, and probably six more will be available on launch ($25 each, BOGOF during Kickstarter). The game is six-a-side, but you get 10 models per team so you can vary your mix of the three roles and can expand that up to 14 with mini-blisters. There are also a number of MVPs, unique players with special abilities.

Personally I've pledged for Striker, which gives you full 14-man rosters for the four Season 1 teams, a mini-blister for each Season 2 team, a complete set of MVPs and a heap of junk like hex bases and decals. When done it's going to have about 75 models, so it's hellish good value.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aerox posted:

My dad just emailed me this -- a website called Tanga is having a huge board game sale.

Tanga is always having a huge boardgame sale. They're a remainders site, so most of what they sell is crap that wouldn't sell at all. Sometimes demand is overestimated on something decent, though.

The only things I'd look at on their list are War of the Ring 2E for $53 and the Z-Man card games (Grave Robbers From Outer Space and Bell-Bottomed Badasses), which aren't funny enough to live out more than one or two plays but only cost three bucks each.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

modig posted:

Miskatonic School For Girls by itself is bad enough for that... haven't tried the others.

MSfG is hilarious when played at a party with alcohol. The game space is generally trivial, but the maniacal laughter clause tends to get people going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AgentF posted:

I know there's a limit to the monsters that can be in the city (and then a second, different limit for the monsters in the outskirts), but this event had taken the terror level up to 10 and so the limits were removed. Instead it became a shitload of monsters filling the streets and playing loud music all night and taking public service jobs to keep the town running.

This is one of the most commonly forgotten rules in Arkham Horror, probably because it happens so rarely.

• Locked thread