Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modig
Aug 20, 2002
I started taking pictures of our Risk Legacay board after each game, hoping it would make for a cool series. Here is the finishes product, the story of our world. I think it would be a great way to write a review of the game, if it weren't for the fact that it is full of spoilers by it's nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

KamikazeJim posted:

Basically if you're playing Risk and it's not Legacy or 2210/Godstorm, you're doing it wrong.

Lord of the Ring Risk is a playable variant as well.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Donald X. died just now, just so he could roll over in his grave.

Miskatonic School For Girls by itself is bad enough for that... haven't tried the others.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Played 5 player Chaos in the Old World last night, we used the Horned rat and the original cards for all other races. Our old world deck consisted of a random selection of the most powerful old world cards as determined by one player, so they were all pretty strong. Gave the new guy Tzeentch and lots of advice. Gave Khorne to a longtime player who had never actually played Khorne. We had a good game, but Khorne generally dominated getting lucky with some dice rolls, and the old world cards favored him, like the one that took all corruption off of two areas at the end of the round. We also played such that ties on tick counters lets everybody tied double tick, instead of nobody double ticks. Khorne won on ticks on turn 5. It was a fun game, even though Khorne was clearly doing well, at least two other players had reasonable victory shots until Khorne double ticked on the 4th turn and we called it.

We also came up with a new Horned Rat strategy. Pick the earliest area with a Skaven token. Drop all your fighters there, followed by as many cultists as you can afford. After turn 2 you should get an upgrade card for single ticking each turn, take the one that lets you move dudes after ruining a region. If you have a +1 defense per figure card, play that immediately in that area. Then drop all your cultists there. You should have 16 points worth of dudes for corruption and ruin the area by yourself. You then move them to the next area and ruin it, and keep going until you run into an already ruined region, for a huge point victory on turn 3. If people gently caress with you, which they should, you still have a reasonable shot a a 4th turn point victory if you can manage to ruin 2 regions and score a few other points.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Wow lots of opinions on our Chaos game. Luckily we can ignore you all and have fun the wrong way all we want. I guess we've been playing the horned rat wrong this whole time, hasn't mattered much because nobody in our groups has figured out how to do anything useful with them. Our last 10 games have all been point victories, so we wanted to make dial ticks more powerful, which worked out pretty well (in our wrong opinions). Also we haven't enjoyed playing with the expansion cards, so we stopped.

Don't know why there is all the hate for house rules. It's fun to make them and try different things. We've had Dominion nights were we make up 2 new cards for each game. We've tried quite a few Catan house rules, we add categories to Bannanagrams sometimes. The worst that happens is you find out why this wasn't the rule in the first place. We run an entire home-brew RPG campaign. We're planning to upgrade some of the pandemic roles. The point is to have fun, this is how we do it, you can do it however you feel like it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Crackbone posted:

On the flip side, there was a guy in this thread who was talking about houseruling Claustrophobia after one session, when it turned out they completely misread the rules.

It just strikes me as silly when people can't give a game a few tries before declaring things broken/unbalanced/unfun.

I misread rules all the time. It's hard to avoid. You can sometimes tell because the game seems stupid if you get some rules wrong, but you might have already committed played a 3 hours game of Rex before you are sure.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Crackbone posted:

If you know you misread rules, then wouldn't the solution be to reread them after a game rather than making up poo poo to fix things that aren't really broken?

Yeah thats what we usually do, but it's not always easy to catch your own errors. Once you think you know what something says, it is pretty easy to read it as saying exactly what you think it says in the first place. I just see it as an inevitable thing that will happen, we try to avoid it, but just make the best of it when it happens.

Mostly I use house rules when I just wouldn't be interested in playing the game without them anymore, or if I'm more excited to try it with the house rules than without.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Pander posted:

In contrast, I've only played about 5 games of GoT board game, so despite the fact I think Lannisters are extremely underpowered, I have no idea how to houserule them to competence.

Lannisters won a game in our group by turtling the first round, build a Siege tower, and use your early move advantages to attack Greyjoy with the Siege Tower. Try to kill a unit or two with swords/nowhere to retreat. Hope mustering doesn't come up while Greyjoy controls like 3 big castles after the first turn. YMMV.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tekopo posted:

Check out this video i.e. the best video currently on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqS4WB_Jak

Not sure if you were joking or not, but that dudes needs to invest in a microphone. I didn't understand a word he said. Also a light and a camera at least as good as those in medium-level phones would be upgrades.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I recently read a review of Modern Art and it sounds perfect for my group, since it seems to involve a lot of yelling at each other and persuasion I'd love to hear some opinions from anybody else who has tried it.

Also does anybody know where to buy it (not the simplified version) online for a reasonable price? It's $55 used on Amazon, but the review I read suggested it was like $30 new.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

General Battuta posted:

Could we play with the new Chaos cards but the old upgrades?

The worst that happens is that someone is totally broken awesome or broken sucky. I'd think it'd be fun, but it could go bad. The rules say no.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Yeah the Chaos map makers really went out of their way to hide the fact that it is 9 squares in a line.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tekopo posted:

That's just the resolution order, not inter-connectedness.

Edit: To clarify, these are the connections:

pre:
Norsca - Troll Country - Kislev - Empire - Bretonia - Estalia
                                    |     /      \      /
              The Badlands - Border Princes ----   Tilea

Wow. It does look like you are right, though I think your text came out formatted wrong. That will seriously change the balance.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

TastyLemonDrops posted:

We just finished an Arkham game where we had no weapon draws at all other than a fixed possession Wither spell, and a deputy's gun at the very end. We were literally one turn from winning, and the only possible way we could've lost was if the mythos card was +2 to the doom track. Guess what we drew? Good items certainly make the game easier, but it's not absolutely necessary to do well.

I think you guys saying the rules are too complicated are exaggerating. The first couple of games were confusing as we learned, but we don't even second guess anymore because we're certain how the rules should be interpreted after reading through the errata once. Our first game was literally 6 hours long, and now we can finish a 4 player game in about 2-3 hours.

Take a break for 3 months and see how it goes. Any ruleset is easy if you play it regularly.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

djfooboo posted:

Score:
Federation of Sol: 10
Embers of Muaat: 7
:siren: Djfooboo Emirates of Hacan: 4!
Naalu collective: 3
Yssaril Tribes: 2
Barony of Letnev: 1

Wow your scores are all over the map.... someone only scored 1 point? Did he not take the get points card when he had the chance? Or... understand that scoring points is the goal?

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So I got a copy of Modern Art off on someone on BGG, and boy was it way less fun that I expected. I was expecting lots of yelling at each other, and auction shenannagins, instead its a bunch of boring auctions. Also you make so much more money by selling art to others than you do by buying art and selling it for a profit, it just makes it feel wrong.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tekopo posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Modern Art but I can't see how it's possible that in a game where you determine the price of paintings, selling is worth more than buying. It's usually possible to determine roughly about what a painting is worth, and if you are paying over 50% percent of what a painting is potentially worth, you are paying too much. Also, and this is true when you are playing with a larger number of players, you only get to sell so often, so in the end the person that wins is the one that has a good mix of selling/buying.

I don't understand your point: You were expecting exciting auctions and instead you got boring auctions? What were you expecting?

We would often sell paintings that would be worth 90k for like 85k. We wondered if our prices were too high, but nobody stopped paying them, except to stick the seller with their own fixed price auction a few times. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting different in terms of the auctions, the reviews I read talked about how much fun it was to play and auction things off. It just felt like any other game mechanic when we played it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Unfit For Space posted:

Local only. Playing online would be pretty pointless unless you had chat or Skype going on another device while you were playing it. There are a lot of achievements to unlock in Game Center though.

Actually the lack of cooperation might be kind of interesting... I've never played a co-op game that didn't just play out as multiplayer solitaire. Being in separate states might force that. I doubt it would be fun enough to be worth doing lots, but it would be sort of an interesting excursive.

Archipelago and Coup both sound pretty cool.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

I believe that Small World and Castle Panic are seen as reasonable games for the younger set. Not too advanced, but will require more though and strategy than, roll, move, random event printed on tile or card, games.

Guillotine might be a good choice, I remember that being fun for me and my brothers who were closer to 10. The theme (hinted at by the name) is a bit gruesome, but the artwork isn't.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Some recent games.

Twilight Imperium with some modifications made by a group member to try to speed things up. Basically he got rid of secondary powers on strategy cards, added in some way to do things that had no other way to do, and added 1/victory point/turn to controlling Mec Rex. I haven't played it by the book since years ago, so I'm not even sure which rules were different beyond those. We played 3 games over the past 2 weeks, I won one, and another guy has one two. Everybody seems to have enjoyed all the games, despite the fact that the shortest was 5 hours. The guy who won the last game managed to surprise everybody by completing two secret objectives the last turn. The way we play it is almost all politics, threatening things, trying to get paid for doing thing you already wanted to do, etc. Lots of fun.

Infiltration was new to me. The theme is that you are a crew of hackers breaking into some secret facility and you need to get as much data as you can then get out before the cops arrive. Each turn you roll a d6 to add to a counter, when it hits 99 the cops arrive. If you are still in the facility when they arrive, you lose. It has a simple random linear map, 4 actions that are always available to you, and some item cards that give you more powerful actions. The theme makes it seem partially co-operative, but it doesn't feel that way at all, instead it is all about screwing the other people and helping yourself.
Since none of us knew what was going on, our fist game was probably not played particularly well. I basically just kept going deeper to try to get by myself so I could download a lot. I managed to draw more items twice, I think both by using items that let me move then use the "interface" in the room. The other person who went deep like I did kept going past me, so I just sat in one room and got like 14 data, then used an interface to leave the facility by paying 4 random data. Also early on I found an NPC that went back towards the start of the facility removing data, which I think really hurt the guys behind us. Seemed pretty fun, it should get faster as we learn it, not sure if it will get stale or not.

Resistance and Mafia. I hadn't played either, and I was basically unimpressed with both. I mean it was kind of fun to yell and accuse people based on nearly nothing, but I didn't like the fact that it was based on nearly nothing. Also most of the tokens in resistance are a waste of time. Why do I need an approve/disapprove vote card for a public vote (thumbs up/down worked better). Why do I need tokens to hand out to potential team members that are small and easily not-seen... they don't make it any easier for others to remember the team you proposed.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Carados posted:

While we're at it, what's the best roll and move? Has modern game design created an engaging roll and move?

Escape: Curse of the Temple has lots of people saying good things. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113294/escape-the-curse-of-the-temple

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

That's not a roll and move game. Its also not a very good game in general though.

The primary mechanic is roll dice, them move or do something else based on the results. I feel like it's close.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Wazzu posted:

In my opinion, the expansion is rear end. Nurgle's new power set sucks, the Horned Rat is underwhelming, Tzeentch and Slaanesh are admittedly pretty cool and Khorne is also underpowered, except it has one upgrade so overpowered that it's on the same power level as Tzeentch and Slaanesh. Possibly worst of all IMO, the new powers are on average better at getting points for the top 3, meaning that the game is far more likely to end on a points victory, apparently on average a turn earlier.

Other people like the expansion, but I'm pretty miffed about how bad it is in comparison to the base set. Many flashy new abilities that together aren't as balanced as the original ones.

I totally agree with this. Though I also realized we've been determining which areas are adjacent wrong the whole time we've played it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tekopo posted:

The only game that ever made me go woah was napoleon's triumph but I haven't found someone that shares the same passion for it in my meet up group.

I think my feeling might be just as strong, but in the opposite direction. Not my type of game.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

BrainParasite posted:

I'm thinking a simple game with some subset of words, trivia, action, and cards. Nothing is coming to mind. Any suggestions?

Bannanagrams could be a good choice. It's like scrabble, but a whole game can take less time than waiting for me to take a turn in scrabble. Of your categories it hits words and one can make a reasonable argument for action.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Colon V posted:

...good lord, is that man wearing cat ears?

...is PYF leaking?

I wanted to pick up a new game on the way to game night, so I stop at the FLGS, which had moved since I'd last been there. The lights are off, and the closing time on the front door is 15 minutes ago. But... the door is open so I walk in and browse a bit. A guy comes from the back wearing cat ears, and asks me if he can help me. 'Are you closed?' 'Yes' 'So should I leave?' 'Well if you have cash and know what you want?' So I dig out my phone and try to look at my list of games I might like in ever-note as another guy walks in. I'm starting to think this guy isn't so good at being closed. 'Can I help you?' 'I'm here to check out the anime group, I thought it was at 630.' 'Ohh yeah just head into the back.' So anyway he didn't have any of the games I was interested in, so I left. It was just as awkward the one time I visited before they moved.

Too late for best of the year awards?
Best cat people in a board game
The emirates of Hacan in Twilight Imperium, whose most fun power is that when anybody wants to trade, they must first hand the stuff they are trading to the Hacan player, who then hands them to the right person to finish the trade (or not)

modig
Aug 20, 2002

FelchTragedy posted:

My current fixation is being a carcassonne semi-completist. I bought the new Z-man big box ( I think it is less value than the Big box 3 by one major expansion) anyway I have been collecting the other expansions. But I'm considerng getting / not getting some of them. Not getting the obvious crap one like the catapult. Anyone have any criticism against any of the expansions gameplay wise?

I wrote this a while ago, it covers the 5 or so expansions I have: http://frontrangegamers.blogspot.com/2011/09/carcassonne-expansions.html

Also Fat Turkey, add another vote for Citadels.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

bewilderment posted:

I have some friends coming over for two days, and we were thinking of buying something together. What's something that's great with three OR four players? Sometimes we have a fourth, sometimes we don't, and I don't want to be left thinking "well, that would be good, but it would have been better if we had someone else here" or vice versa.

I own Dominion, but I was thinking I might add to my currently very small game collection.

I haven't played it, but I think Hey thats my fish would be a good option.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Implementor posted:

We played Archipelago with 3p using the short game-length cards. With this set up, it felt like the game ended just as things were picking up--we all agreed that playing with 4-5 players and medium-length cards would probably be a better experience. There's a really interesting mix of cooperation with chances for dick moves. Can't wait to really dig into this one since it feels like there was a lot of strategy to uncover. My only minor criticism so far is that the red crisis cards (which are resolved immediately during the evolution card phase) seem to interrupt the flow of the game a little too frequently. Overall seems really cool, and the components are beautiful.
my haul:
Archipelago
Catan Geographies: Germany

Played 1.5 short games of Archipelago, just 2p since my bro-in-law is into games too. It seems fun, and once learned it flows fairly easily. I agree that the short endpoints seemed to end right as things were getting going, but I'm really looking forward to medium-long with 4 players. The game is really well designed in terms of the box holding components, and the components having useful information on them so you don't have to refer to the rules for any tables. The theme and the rules go together well.

For Catan... I already have Catan. I doubt its worth having a 2nd version (I don't like to hoard or collect) for whatever mechanics they've added. So I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Are there charities that need board games?

modig fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 26, 2012

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Food Court Druid posted:

Well, I got Bananagrams for Christmas. That's more than I was expecting.

Luckiest dude in the thread. That game rocks.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

mikeycp posted:

Tried playing King of Tokyo with family tonight. All my blood relatives that played, besides my sister thought it was too complicated and required too much thinking... :negative:

It seems that my mother's side of the family hates fun, games, and good things.

e: It certainly doesn't help that one especially fun-hating relative needed me to explain what the green cubes are for no less than 3 times because she couldn't be assed to pay attention the first 2 times I explained.

Annoying. Some people don't like thinking apparently? I can't relate to that. This doesn't sound like something a better board game choice will fix.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Ticket to Ride is a simple game to learn, but it's a much harder game to learn how to WIN it.

aka I suck at Ticket to Ride
I also suck. I'm usually pretty good at board games. I've pulled off wins in Twilight Imperium and other complicated games, and I've finished a game of ticket to ride (Europe) with none of my routes finished.

Been playing Citadels with some family and it continues to be fun for all. My only complaint is that it feels like it should take 25 mins, but it takes 60. It's good enough to takes 60, but it feels like it should be shorter.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Lorini posted:

Played Coup tonight. I really liked it. Felt like a properly timed Liars Dice (a game I think takes much too long for what it is). Lots of calling bullshit and some light fun. Recommended.

Have you played Citadels? How would you compare it to Coup, or Coup to Citadels?

I think Chaos was the wrong game for those people, and those people aren't ready for, or aren't going to like Chaos. I was going to say you shouldn't have played Khorne, but they did so badly that they couldn't have had even a basic idea of how to go about moving towards win conditions. Either because you didn't communicate it, or they didn't grasp it.
My preferred solution to people who play like poo poo, as someone with a good ongoing group, is don't play with them. More generally, even people who play fine, but don't enjoy/fit into the way our group plays, I try not to invite back.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

I got a few copies from BGG.CON, otherwise it looks like this lovely looking site somehow became the sole USA distributor for this game:

http://www.allaboutgamesmaine.com/viewitems.php?cid=8

It's available in the UK too on some other site.

I'm really glad the site offered me the chance to pay by phone or mail. Sweet. Anyway I'll have Coup soon. Sounds like it will be sweet.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
With Chaos specifically there is a section in the rule book that describes the basic strategy for each god. That was very helpful while learning.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Soma Soma Soma posted:

My board game group just wouldn't be the same without alcohol and rambling while playing, whether the discussion be about the game at hand or entirely off topic. Why anyone would ever play boardgames in silence is beyond me.

This is our style. Only a drink or two though so I can drive home safely.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

The Black Stones posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I might pass on Space Alert for now (and pick it up later to play with a group who knows board games a bit more) and look at Dominion or 7 Wonders.

I think Dominion would be fine, but 7 Wonders and Smallworld are probably better. Carcassonne is a classic that would work for you, and it is really easy to make it shorter if necessary. Just start with smaller piles of tiles. Also Bannanagrams is great for groups without much board game experience, but it doesn't really introduce them to board games much.

edit: I was going to politely let you put up your ugly flier but ^^^ went and called you on it, so I'd agree. Also I suspect its just way too dense. You have like 1020 photos taking up less than 50% of the area on a page, so each photo is going to be small. It's a great idea, but I think you can do a lot better on the flier. My tack, would be to pick one or two games to feature with photos, and a simple selling point like "New to board games? Come to a board game night tailored specifically to new(ish) players." Then a bit of text about what you will do. I'll have the games, I'll keep track of the rules, and I'll play or not play to make the numbers work out. And if you limit yourself to only first time players, I think you will never have enough to play. You probably have a better idea of what goes on at the store, but I'd be amazed if you got 5 first time players one night.

modig fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 3, 2013

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Played Archipelago again, first time with my normal game group. We did 4p medium length objectives. Overall it was a lot of fun, though longer than I expected. Our group typically takes 2x the length on the box on games, so it's not so surprising. Next time I'm going to print out these cheat sheets from BGG. We also were still figuring out the rules, it turns out I'd done a lot of stuff wrong in my practice games.
We will definitely play a few more games. The exploration, worker interaction, semi-coop, and bribery/trading mechanics all worked really well.
My biggest complain was the scoring of the secret objectives. We had both wood in places with towns and iron in places with towns, and one guy built a town in a space with 2 wood and 2 iron. That one town was worth 6 points for him, nobody else was even ranked on both criteria. The particular town+specific resource objectives seem too specific, and thus likely to cause large point differences by accident. It also encourages memorizing or studying all of the objective cards and trying to guess which ones people have, which I don't find to a fun thing to encourage. We will probably play with more public objectives in the future.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

These Loving Eyes posted:

So, any other recommendations for fast(ish), rules light games with strategic depth that shine with three to four players?

Citadels is a good choice. 95% of the rules are printed on the cards you play with, plus one additional rule card. Handles different group sizes well, plays in an hour or less, even in my group which tends to take longer than it says on the box. I have Smallworld Underground and fairly similar preference to you (I like games without long downtimes between me thinking, so lots of negotiating or short time between smallish decisions). Smallworld is fairly simple and fun, but I'm not convinced there is all that much depth to it, and my group seems to have stopped going back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Pander posted:

Is that even possible? Wouldn't it require building on every single corner possible to build upon? And wouldn't running out of roads become a problem?

And wouldn't games last a year and a half?

By the time you have 10 points, it shouldn't be very hard to get a point every other turn, so I doubt it will be all that much longer.

• Locked thread