Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

"Ameritrash" is a needlessly negative term, and BL's Transformers/2001 analogy is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Countblanc posted:

"Ameritrash" is to boardgames as "cheap" is to fighting games. It's been long-since co-opted by the community and isn't really a bad thing so much as a tongue in cheek reference to the past.

Right on. But that just makes BL's analogy even worse.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

All in all, quite a great game. I also spent the entire game doing small things like Local Unrest and Sabotage just to gently caress with Ha'can because he blocked my trade proposal with the Yssaril tribes back in turn 1.

This is one of my favorite parts about TI, the low level dickery that takes place in revenge for previous slights.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The druid with the angry bear was enough to make me want Super Dungeon Explore. It's on my list for when my FLGS does its great holiday sale.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Serotonin posted:

The Druid shape shifts into the Angry Bear. He owns.

Ahh, cool. I haven't looked at any of the rules, so I didn't know if the bear was an alternate form or a pet. Either way, those minis own bones.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pierzak posted:

You could check their manufacturer, Soda Pop Miniatures, if you just want the style.
(warning: animu girls t&a overload)

Yeah, I've checked their site, and [e:]some of their stuff is cool, but that druid and bear are the coolest.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm usually the odd man out who finds the hint of theme in even the driest of games, but even I can't dig it out of Waterdeep. Don't get me wrong, I think the game is great, just not very thematic. I think part of the problem, for me anyway, is that the theme almost clashes with the actual mechanics. It feels too much like collecting and spending goods for my brain to accept that these little cubes or meeples are supposed to be parties of adventurers.

I found it really easy to get the theme, but I'm a huge FR nerd, and I loved pretending I was Mirt the Moneylender secretly leading the Harpers. But I can totally see why someone else wouldn't get into it like I did.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

In regards to BSG, the show was the reason why I bought the game, but the game was the reason why my friends watched the show.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

hairrorist posted:

Yeah you shouldn't play board games in public if you are concerned about the image you are presenting.

If you're playing a board game in public, no one will think you are a bigger geek if its full of spaceships. You're already full-on geekwad. It's like scoring 100 on a test. Sure, you might be infinitely smarter than the test was able to determine, but to everyone else, you're just a 100%.

It helps once you've played games long enough to see that themes are really just wrappers on a set of mechanics.

Worrying about people thinking you're a geek because you're playing a game with spaceships is a lot different than worrying people will think you're a perv because you're playing a game with animu titties busting out all over the place.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Admin Understudy posted:

"the player with the highest bid in the 'order of play' phase chooses the player order for all players"

And that's an awesome mechanic, I could see that being a ton of fun.

I really like the sound of this. I can see it leading to so much shenanigans.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I am pretty drat excited to be playing Twilight Imperium for the first time this Saturday. Since all four players are new to the game, we'll be playing with a bare minimum amount of options. We'll be using preliminary objectives to give everyone some easy VP and speed up the game a bit, flagships, mech units, and race-specific tech. We're sticking with the base 10 races. Any other tips from veteran TI goons? Expect some form of after-action report.

Similar to what LordZoric said, focus on gaining VPs, not on winning wars. I've won numerous games of TI3 by being essentially a pacifist and focusing on tech and trade objectives while my friends beat each other up over Mecatol. And I second the use of the Shattered Empires strat cards. I don't even remember what the basic strat cards are anymore because the SE ones are so much better and lead to a much more dynamic game. A house rule that you might want to consider is letting everyone draw multiple species and then choose one, so in your group's case if you're just using the core ten, everyone would draw two species and choose one to play as.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

TobiasMoon posted:

I've read through the thread pretty good and I didn't see a lot of mention for Zombicide. I LOVE this game...if only because it gets people who have no idea what games even are sitting down and playing. It's also just plain super fun.

It's a fun game with nice components, but the designers really dropped the ball on providing interesting scenarios to play through with all those nice components.

Last Night On Earth is still my favorite zombie survival game because of the variety of fun scenarios it and its expansions provide.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

boboto posted:

Have you looked at the downloadable scenarios on the Zombicide site? There are bunches and bunches, including a linked campaign with decision points.

Nah, it's my buddy's game, so I haven't really looked into it. And we have a few dozen games to choose from when we play, so we don't have much incentive to look for ways to improve it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Also go loving nuts on fighters(few races have exceptions though).

Yeah, fighters should be your bread-and-butter. They're like infantry in A&A or foot soldiers in Nerath. They suck, but they're super cheap and soak hits that would otherwise destroy or damage your useful units.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The maddening incoherence, complete randomness, and subsequent inability to plan any sort of strategy are what make AH so thematic. No one runs around tommy gunning shoggoths and moon beasts in Lovecraft's stories. But they do get driven made by the complex and arbitrary motions of an uncaring cosmos.

AH is truly a metagame. Attempting to play a fully expanded game of it is the closest one can come to attempting to understand the mind of an old one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Wazzu posted:

Rambling Trip report: I played Android. Holy poo poo this game took a long time, 5 and half hours. Overall, I liked continuing my plot (though some other people didn't like that their plot(s) didn't seem to make much sense, or matter, or advanced seemingly by chance) but influencing other people's plots felt strange, or like I shouldn't. If I ever play again I am making sure it isn't with more than 3 players, more players just added more time between turns (which was already too high). I was fine with the thematic of the game where you played in first person most of the time, but occasionally stepped back to tell the story a bit (in a way that benefits you) by determing what the evidence you uncovered told, for whom. Some people thought this felt like you were planting evidence, or making a conspiracy that suited your purposes, but I was fine with it. Biggest problem that I had with the game was that the spite felt awful - it felt bad to do bad things to the other players, and made me feel like a jerk (that's ameritrash :hehe:). The conspiracy seemed somewhat unnecessary and not particularly effecting to the plot overall (oh, so street notorioty means more, good ending are worth more, bad endings are worth less? What does that mean for a conspiracy?) with me winning on a happy 56 points when I was right about who did the murder. Overall, not as much of a hot mess of mechanics as people said it was, but deeply flawed and took too drat long.

I really like Android. I don't think it's a particularly good game, but it is a pretty cool cyberpunk noir emergent story generator. No matter how well I play or perform, I always enjoy playing through my character's plots.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I think this is really a theme versus narrative kind of thing. It feels like a lot of people who enjoy Arkham Horror enjoy the Lovecraftian narrative that it creates, which is a different thing from whether or not the theme comes through all that strongly.

I'm only half joking when I say that the random and maddening nature of the game perfectly conveys Lovecraft's themes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think anyone will disagree that Twilight Imperium is an incredibly complex game?

I don't think so. It's a fairly detailed game, but it does a good job of compartmentalizing and parceling out the complexity with the strategy cards. You don't have to consider all the options at all times because you can only make use of most of those options with the proper cues. The mechanics are really quite simple, and aside from activating the system you are moving to instead of the one you are moving from, quite intuitive. The scope and scale can definitely be intimidating, but there are many more complex board games, and it's got nothing on detailed war games like ASL or Battletech.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Risk Legacy. In the video they admit it can take 15 sessions to play. Do you really want to convince people to play a game that requires that kind of commitment?

Risk Legacy takes one session to play. It takes 15 sessions to use up all the content in the box. It starts off very simple and grows in complexity in very small and manageable steps. My group turned two of our friends into avid board gamers with it. It's a great gateway game.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't played it, but Risk: Legacy has been well received in this thread. There's another Legacy game on the horizon as well.

Risk Legacy is great. What is this other Legacy game you speak of?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Crackbone posted:

It's not a Hasbro property, it's an original pirate-themed game using the same legacy mechanics. It's not out, it was just announced a couple weeks ago.

Cool. It has a neat theme and sounds like it expands on the R:L mechanics in interesting ways and adds tech, trade, and exploration to the mix. I found this announcement for anyone else who just heard of this: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/296

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm kind of sad that this new game will probably be better in every way; I was sort of enjoying having a reason to care about Risk again.

There's nothing to worry about. R:L is going to turn you and four of your friends into obsessed ruthless schemers until someone names the world, or as I did, draws a dick and balls in that space.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

What have goon experiences been with BSG's various expansions?

Like others have said, they totally gently caress the game's balance and kind of turn it into a crapshoot, but I do like them for the new actions and narrative elements they add that keep the game fresh. It helps that I am a big fan of the show.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mega64 posted:

New Cylon Leader win conditions are...alright?

They make playing as a CL even more of a crapshoot. Now instead of completing one set of conditions, you have to complete three out of four that very likely will conflict with one another, and you have to wait until the Sleeper Phase to learn what two of them are, and there is a possibility that you will get a set of objectives that are impossible to complete (getting two Cylons Win and two Humans Win).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

You have to reveal at least 3 and two have to have the same alignment.

Honestly, two Cylon and two Human is the dream scenario as long as you can actually fulfill all four. Then you can't lose.

The problem is some of them can only be fulfilled when one side wins, so if you get three or four of those, you are hosed. It's a rare possibility, but a very lovely one.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

All of the motive cards have an Allegiance to one side, but only get fulfilled when the conditions are giving some advantage to the other side. So things like "Allegiance: Cylon. Reveal if humans have more than 3 food at the end of the game." or some such. I don't see how any of them require one side to win.

I think some of them say one side has to win as part of the condition. Perhaps I read them wrong. I only played one game with them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Yeah. Mechanics have come a long way. Heroquest did everything wrong, from really random combat to painfully random movement. It was hard to do anything tactically at all since you never knew if your barbarian would roll high enough to actually make it into close combat or if he'd just keep moving one step forward and hope the DM was kind enough to put a monster within reach.

The minis were awesome though. The most fun I had with that game was sitting down to paint them all with a friend.

Eh, the combat wasn't that bad. It was dead simple to improve your abilities and the dice were weighted in the hero's favor. The random movement, though, was really bad. Campaign play was the big draw for me and my friends. The RPG-lite mechanics made it a great recruiting tool for 'real' RPGs back in middle school.

I'd like to get a copy of it, but I'll do so by finding one on Ebay, not by giving money to some shady Kickstarter.

As for Dungeon, even in middle school we could tell that those were some garbage mechanics. The only cool thing about that game was the nice Ral Partha minis my copy came with.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fantasy Flight's Conan game and D&D: Conquest of Nerath are both solid Risk-likes that don't take too long to play.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

malkav11 posted:

Being Overlord in Descent 2e basically means setting up the scenario and moving the monsters while occasionally playing a card. It's not much more involved than playing the heroes, although it's a very different experience than the hero experience and for me at least it's dramatically less fun. (To me, it's a fantasy hack-n-slash adventure game and the fun is getting into fights and accumulating power and the Overlord really doesn't especially benefit from the former and gets much less of the latter, with the big jump in effectiveness coming when you switch to Act II monsters and that just happens all at once as part of the campaign, not anything you control.) It's also arguably pretty imbalanced, both scenario to scenario and in that the side that wins more tends to keep winning.

Yeah, Descent is really stripped down D&D, and the overlord is just a really stripped down DM. The game plays best like Heroquest or that ancient Mutant Chronicles boardgame, where you rotate out the overlord/zargon/whatever job between each quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Risk: Legacy caps out at 5. You could theoretically squeeze in 7 after unlocking some of the content, but I don't think that would be a fun game, and it would probably require some houserules.

• Locked thread