Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Serotonin posted:

Some more Super Dungeon Explore pieces.

Nice paint job! Kudos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I got curious as to what other games won the SdJ and it seems a bit skewed towards lightweight games? I'm not sure what this award is meant to award, but the answer doesn't seem to be "deep, engaging gameplay."

IIRC it's supposed to award the best *family* board game of the year, so heavier grognard stuff is out.

I haven't played most of those on the list, but as far as family games go I don't have any problem with Dixit, Dominion, or Ticket to Ride winning. And I'm quite happy that Agricola isn't up there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Tried introducing The Resistance to a new group recently. By complete dumb luck the Resistance never picked any Spies to go on missions. This happened two games in a row and I couldn't convince anyone that the game would get any better. :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Orvin posted:

Sign me up then. The only experience I have with 1830 is the Microprose PC game from 20 years ago. I wouldn't mind trying it out against actual people.

Which is still, by the way, pretty fun if you don't mind having to fire up dosbox. I like the random maps.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

nimby posted:

We've been playing it wrong for years. How do I explain this to my friends? We've always played it thinking that trade goods can always be exchanged for influence, even in voting. Oh god this changes everything. I thought we finally got the rules down ~8 games ago and made nearly no mistakes!

Wait, this is wrong? We've been playing it like you have. What'd I miss?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

One little detail I like is that like Starcraft, if you retreat you can go to any adjacent system that's empty or friendly - even if it's actually farther on the path you're taking. I recall one game in which one player invaded another from Mecatol Rex. He decided to bring his whole fleet, whereupon his opponent retreated back over to Mecatol.

You have to have a command counter already in place on the system you're retreating to. It usually makes retreats less than appealing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Can you point me to somewhere (post/BGG thread/article/whatever) I can read up on the 18XX series and their differences, from a new player standpoint? The dual building/stock market system interests me, but I haven't the slightest idea where to start and the games scare me.

I'd recommend starting with the ancient 1830 computer game, which you'd have to find on an abandonware site and run DOSBOX for. You can get a good understanding of the underlying mechanics on your own before jumping into a game with real human players.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lorini posted:

It's slow as gently caress though, which is why I finally had to give up on it. So wish someone would just make this game over for modern PC's, the AI is challenging and the random map feature awesome.

You can fix that in DOSBOX. DOSBOX purposefully slows the game down so that it doesn't run crazy fast (which is helpful for something like, say, Wing Commander). I can't remember what the setting is to fix it off the top of my head, but it's really easy to do.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

Speaking of FFG rulebooks, I played a game of Twilight Imperium yesterday with some different people than usual (I won :smugdog:). Twice during the game there was a rule question that made me consult the rulebook. The first one was fighters being supported by carriers during combat. The rulebook said this (paraphrasing):

It's a god drat mess, I agree, even though I really enjoy the game. They need a high level MtG judge or an actual lawyer to write their rulebooks.

In the meantime, there's a very good fan-made rulebook on BGG that puts information where it seems like it should be. Might want to check it out.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Monopoly has a seed of fun in it. Either you say: 1) each property's cost is actually *twice* that printed, and we auction every property not immediately purchased; or, 2) whenever someone lands on an unowned property, it is immediately auctioned.

Sure, it turns Monopoly from a roll-n-move game to an auction game, but that's what it should've been in the first place!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

bobvonunheil posted:

Further rule changes:
Each time someone passes Go, at the end of their turn auction the first property around the board that has not yet been purchased.

End the game the moment someone is eliminated. Whoever has the most assets (cash, property, houses/hotels) wins.

Congratulations, Monopoly is now fun! Or at least, not terrible.

Yes! I agree. We actually played with that first rule before and it worked very well.

The second makes a ton of sense too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Istvun posted:

I've had an idea, and hearing about a contest would be a pretty good reason to actually get up and make that shits. I'm thinking a heavy game about baseball, which would probably be interesting to about 0 people.

One person!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Does anyone know where to find a tutorial or help for the Twilight Imperium VASSAL module? There's a help file listed in the module, but--and this is perfect for an FFG game--it points to a website that no longer exists.

I'm trying to delete command counters from the map from players who don't exist and I can't figure out how.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's really impressive what DXV and Richard Garfield did: create new game mechanics out of whole cloth and also become the best instance of their genre on the very first try.

With the more traditional Euros, their development seems to be a more more iterative process.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

The network effects in CCGs are huge. It's possible that if the first CCG had been worse than Magic a followup could have become the ubiquitous CCG, but it doesn't seem likely. There are certainly worse CCGs than Magic but many have been better and just never reached critical mass.

It's a derail, so I won't belabor the point, but which CCGs are better than MTG?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Also, it's really difficult to find local shops that buy / sell used games. I ask at nearly every game shop I go to, and the answer has always been no so far. I don't know how people do this with eBay / other online sources, often shipping is more than the cost of the game itself.

The trick with eBay is to make sure that whatever you're selling can fit into a flat rate priority mail shipping box. There's one that's specifically made for board games, and although it isn't perfect a lot of stuff will fit into it.

I've also doubled up, two games in one box. That goes over pretty well, so long as the games are of a similar genre.

But if you're cool with trading BGG has been pretty good to me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm not worried about myself (I've already read up on the rules and understand the meat of it), but since I'm not usually into board games, I don't have a "group" to play with, meaning that I'm going to have to convince my friends to hop in with even less of an idea what's going on, and that's what concerns me.

If you do this, I strongly suggest you know the rules 100% (or, really maybe 95% is the best anyone can do with AH). If that means playing a solo game with you as five different investigators, you might want to consider it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nitis posted:

Seriously?! Crime Lords for $100?!

I've had my copy sitting on my shelf for a long time, only breaking it out to play with a buddy that does funny mobster voices while we play.

This can't be real.

But see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illuminati-...=item2c679f0b45

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Bang variants, there is going to be a pseudo sequel to Bang called Samurai Sword that doesn't have player elimination, so that will be interesting.

Haha, seriously? They're making a game called Samurai Sword? As if this poo poo wasn't confusing enough. There are two different games called Shogun... one of which was renamed Samurai Swords. And now we'll have a singular Samurai Sword to go with it.

If history is any indication none of them are worth playing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

A strange game.

I hear reports here of how long it lasts but I can't understand how. Our games were always below two hours, with anywhere from 4-6 people.

Do people not use the "ascending number of armies per card set" rule? Or do you not allow people to take the cards of a player they eliminated? I don't get it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hi all, been a while since I've checked out this thread (700+ posts, BL is gone, wow) so I hope you don't mind me asking...

1) Have there been any good co-op games released lately, preferably ones not subject to quarterbacking? Our group has sort of gotten back into Arkham Horror and Gears of War, and we're looking for other stuff along those lines.

2) How about relatively short (45-60 min) Ameritrashy games? Anything good to scratch that kind of itch get released within the last year or so?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cocks Cable posted:

There just doesn't seem to be an immediate solution to quarterbacking except making a game real time.

If the effects of your actions are somewhat random, that can work too. (See, e.g., Arkham Horror.)

Of course, there's a fine line there, too, because if it gets too random, why even play?

(also please don't get distracted, if you have any suggestions to my post above i'd love to hear them :))

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Fargo Fukes posted:

If I buy Arkham Horror how long will I be reading rulebooks before I can play it? I haven't played anything more complicated than Monopoly in a long time.

Actually reading the rules? Maybe an hour. Getting them all correct? Probably several playthroughs. It might be worth either watching a video tutorial OR maybe even playing a game solo (you should run 5 investigators by yourself) so that you know the rules solid.

Also, at least to start, go on BGG and take a look at the flowcharts they have there. It sounds ridiculous but having a one-sheet reference can be very helpful.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jedit posted:

Four investigators, not five. An odd number of investigators in Arkham Horror changes the numbers unfavourably.

I guess it's up to personal preference, but the base game is too easy with 4.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dang, wonder how long I'm going to have to wait to pick up Mice & Mystics without paying scalper prices.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
FEMALES !!!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's been a long time since I was in this thread... did someone have a list of the best board games on iPad? I could've sworn I read a thorough post about it either in this thread or the last, but I'm not sure how to find it.

(Ticket to Ride: Europe was free a few days ago, and it has me looking into this stuff again. :))

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

You mention Ticket TO Ride Europe being free, and then request iPad board games. Just so you know, TtR:Europe being free was just an iPhone thing, the versions for iPad and iPhone are very different things.

That said, we do have an IOS board gaming thread, in the Games forum. It's usually within the first 5-6 pages, but the forum does move fast. Just index the Apple threads, though, and you'll find it on the front page.

Ah, got it. Thanks for your help.

The iPhone version blown up is still pretty nice so maybe I'll just go buy the iPad version and some other maps. drat intelligent marketing! It was a good taste and now I want more.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

al-azad posted:

You can copyright the visual representation and ideas expressed by a game, though. If Space was a real game by a third party company the actual layout of the cards would be enough for Hasbro to throw their weight around.

Wait, really? Do you have a cite on that?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ETB posted:

How many attempts have there been to make Monopoly a reasonably palatable game, anyway? What could/would you do to improve it (besides burning it to ashes)?

Play by the rules, particularly the one where you auction off unpurchased properties, and also:

a) double the price of every property (i.e. boardwalk now retails for $800)
b) whenever doubles are thrown, auction off the nearest unowned property farthest from GO (i.e. boardwalk backwards) at the end of the turn

Your decisions about what to do with your money are much more interesting, and the game will go faster. But it's still a bad game.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
How has Dungeon Lords held up for you guys? I was thinking of picking it up--the theme would go well in my group I think--but does it still ever hit the table for you guys who've had it a few years?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Good enough for me! Thanks guys.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mendrian posted:

So how do people feel about Mansions of Madness these days?

It doesn't hit the table often. For whatever reason our last several games were blowouts. It's an interesting idea, and I think the puzzle aspect is neat, but it's not a great game.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tekopo posted:

So I'm looking for my own copy of Automobile because the game really has struck a chord with me, but the only one I can find is the remake from Mayfair instead of the Treefrog version that I played.

Aw crap. I just ordered Automobile recently but I didn't know there was a version issue. I've got the Mayfair coming... there was a $100 collector's edition available too, but I didn't want to drop that kind of coin for a game I hadn't played yet. :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Have you heard about Daybreak? It's going to be awful.

Why's that?

When it's all said and done--and I hope Daybreak is the last expansion--they should wait a year or two, see what sticks, and release an all-in-one edition with the rules, characters, and cards people actually use. (Does anyone play with New Caprica or the trauma tokens, for instance?)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

homullus posted:

I recently played RoboRally and it was a huge let-down, after having heard people speak of it with nostalgia. Basically, games that simulate computer programming are best played on a computer.

Very well said. I was also tremendously disappointed by RR and I couldn't put into words why, until you just said that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Malloreon posted:

The one inviolable rule of BSG is only play with 5 players.

I also use:
pegasus
cylon fleet

I think the replacement endgames are dumb and I don't like cylon leaders.

I agree with everything here except that I'd add "at least" between "with" and "5 players." Six players isn't bad, but you should probably use the "no sympathizer" variant if you're going that route.

It's a real shame that the expansions were so little value-added. The Cylon Fleet was the best addition to the game, but it's practically the only thing from Exodus that's any good. (I can take or leave the additional characters and skill cards.) Hard to justify spending that kind of money on it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'll take a stab at defending Arkham.

Mendrian posted:

I think the final showdown in AH is just so... I don't know. I've had games where a single character uses a single item and essentially wins single handedly.

Are you sure you've been playing it correctly? It should be very difficult for one character to take down a Great Old One single-handedly. Their hit points are equal to (number of players * doom tokens).

quote:

I've played games of AH where victory is in fact impossible - not just unlikely, but 'you cannot damage this bad guy'. To say nothing of the Elder Horror that just ends the game if you have to fight it.

That's a feature, not a bug. They are meant to be difficult; going to the final showdown should give you minimal odds of victory versus sealing gates. I'll freely admit the designers botched this early on... heck, you're probably better off ignoring gates entirely in favor of scouring the town for weapons if Yig is around.

quote:

I suppose at least AH has alternate victory conditions besides the Showdown?

Actually, the showdown IS the alternate victory condition. If you're going to be winning games, you're probably going to do it by sealing gates. (So long as you've got Dunwich or Innsmouth on the table, that is. Like I said, a lot of the base game GOOs are shotgun-able.)

More generally, I don't see much of a quarterbacking problem in this game, at least compared to every other co-op I can think of other than Space Alert. There is enough randomness via the encounters and combat dice to make it so that there are usually several useful things for an investigator to do.

And what's fun about it? Well, it's co-op, it's low stress, you actually have some downtime (which makes for a better beer and pretzels game), but most importantly you can get some fun narratives out of it. If you have a consistent group the stories get passed around (mine was when my elderly author investigator took down the Dunwich Horror in a last-ditch, highly unlikely effort), and it's cool to remember. It sure beats "Man, you should've seen it! Not only was I startspeiler, I made four brown cubes and two yellow ones! Best turn of my life!"

Hey, I'm not going to lie: it's far from perfect. The game dates from 1986 and shows every year of its age. But for the kind of itch it scratches, it still scratches it pretty well. I'd like to see a more streamlined, easy-going co-op game, preferably avoiding the themes of Cthulhu, zombies, or fuckin' medieval merchants, but until then, Arkham Horror will continue to hit the table from time to time.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Eh, I have pretty good drat memories of memorable game of one of the driest games ever (18XX). It's pretty easy to create memorable moments in any game if you are in the right sort of group.

I don't think that's a particularly good example, as those sorts of games (I played a lot of 1830) are dripping in flavor and lead to some interesting narratives on their own, particularly when someone goes bust or ends up screwed and having to pay for trains out of pocket.

But something like Agricola, Puerto Rico, or El Grande? The games won't play the same every time, per se, but if you're familiar with them you have a decent sense of what's going to happen before you play. I doubt anyone has a particularly good story from games like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

al-azad posted:

For the record, someone asked. You don't whack a hornet's nest and not expect them to attack.

I don't know, we seem more like a bunch of friendly honeybees on this one. People have been respectful.

Colon V posted:

I think you're actually on the train for what a good metric for thematic would actually be. "Could an entertaining moment in the game be described to a layman without mentioning any of the rules at all?"

Very well said.

• Locked thread