Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Serotonin posted:

Yes.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/92190/super-dungeon-explore

Complete with baddies who drop potions and hearts and big bosses who warp out midway through a boss battle. Its ace.
It sounds like a great game but I think very few people I play with would want to be the 'Dark Consul' or whatever version of a DM it is. Is there a similar game where you play against a deck/automated enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pander posted:

Did Game of Thrones with my 5 person group last night.

I was Stark and planned on turtling a bit before moving out in force (after securing the nearby barrels) and slaughtering my way to 7 castles. Hoped Lannister and Greyjoy would fight, and Tyrell and Baratheon would bother each other over the South enough to stalemate.

I grabbed the Eyrie early, and seemed okay. However, Greyjoy and Lannister non-aggression-pacted, and I neglected to muster any ships in the Bay of Ice.

What happened? Team Greyjoy snuck a small force in to take Winterfell, and I was shut down piecemeal. How appropriate.

I don't really like the game that much. It's a very thinky strategy game, but for the life of me I can't think up a smart way to logically progress toward a goal. The events seem too random to really make any moves with confidence. Like bidding on influence tracks, where it's incredibly easy to bankrupt yourself to get awesome positions only to see ANOTHER game of thrones westeros card next turn, or some other reason to bid.

I really want to like it, but I'm just not seeing a great game in there.
I also played Game of Thrones with a group of 5 this weekend. The way our game unfolded was completely different. Lannister and Greyjoy pretty much decimated one another into irrelevancy while ignoring the Starks who consolidated power in the North. I was Tyrell and I allied with Baratheon in agreement to split the south while we both moved upward.

What ended up happening is that Lannisters and Greyjoy were pretty much non-entities to win towards the end of the game, only existing to act as spoiler. Tyrell/Baratheon/Stark were all in contention up until the 9/10th turn with Baratheon finally winning because Stark spread themselves too thin.

It was hard for me to develop a strategy with the way that the cards unfolded. From rounds 1-6, we only mustered once. There was very little fighting so being the lead on the Fiefdom track was ultimately worthless, same with the Iron Throne. The total randomness of the cards makes it seem like each game session would unfold differently. I think all of us (being our first time playing) were scared of losing armies, so we essentially holed up until the second half of the game.

I would say for now that I liked it. I'd have to give it more play sessions to see if that holds up. I wish there were more events on the cards.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pander posted:

Pretty much this. In my gaming experience, Baratheon or Tyrell wins every time. Lanister is a speed bump. Stark is nice in theory, but usually takes too long to get moving. Greyjoy is in a fine initial position, but can't really do anything to WIN, just squish Lanister or bug Stark/Tyrell.
From what I've been told, the second edition added a sixth faction at the bottom right of the map where Tyrell and Baratheon are usually unopposed. I wonder how much that changes the balance of the game. It seems like Stark would be stronger in that scenario.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Played a game of Dungeon Run today with two other players. On face value it seems the game is pretty harsh to the players, but we seemed to overcome all obstacles with ease the more familiar we became with the rules/abilities. However, when one hero claimed the summoner orb, they became pretty unstoppable and won quite easily. Does this happen often? Should players be attacking each other before someone has a chance to win? Or is the game just unbalanced.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crackbone posted:

I keep thinking about making a "What game should I get next" website. Basically, you select a game you've played, and it asks you what you liked/hated about it, then gives you recommendations based off that choice.

For example: I just played Battlestar Galactica and:

- I hated the length: Try The Resistance
- I want to play something worse: Try Panic Station
- I love the coop/theme but don't want a traitor mechanic: Try Space Alert

(In honor of BL all games would have one choice that recommended Space Alert)
As a newbie in Board Gaming, this is basically what all of my questions revolve around. I liked/disliked ________ so what should I try next.

On that note.. I just recently played El Grande and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the variable scoring and how the cards could change player strategy. From everyone I've spoken to about the game, it is pretty much a top game on many lists. What type of game/genre would I be looking for if I enjoyed El Grande? Although these same people have told me that whatever I end up playing, it will probably not be as good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there any good places to buy secondhand games online or should I be looking locally? It seems whenever I find something I want, the prices people ask for + shipping are just about equal to buying the game brand new and getting free shipping, so I don't really see the point.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Played Elder Sign this weekend and really enjoyed it. It was a pretty tense game as it came down to one of the players final turn before the enemy would win. From what I understand, its a quicker version of Arkham Horror, which is totally fine with me - but I'd still like to play it sometime.

I don't have much point of comparison in the limited amount of games I've played - but I find that I like the smaller versions of bigger games. I absolutely loved playing Ra, but I had more fun playing the dice version. I feel like the group I play with would prefer multiple Plays of a shorter game than just playing 1 game for 3-4 hours.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anybody have thoughts to share on Shadows over Camelot? Our group still loves cooperative games especially with a medieval/fantasy feel to it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

As a game with a traitor mechanic, it loses to both Resistance (for its succinctness) and to BSG (for its mechanics/scope). Having played the traitor once, let me tell you that it is not a very fun game. It was only my second game and maybe I didn't "get it," but there were very few ways to sabotage without outting yourself as the traitor. Generally the only thing I did was to play incompetently, but that isn't exactly the same as playing connivingly. Me dicking around on the Excalibur while claiming "oh all my cards suck" isn't the same as me setting up everybody else to fail, but all the ways that I could do the latter would out myself as the traitor. Not very fun at all.
I didn't even know Camelot had a traitor mechanic when I was looking at it. My mistake. Our group tends to skew smaller, so I think stuff like Resistance/BSG might not even make it to the table as much as I'd like to play them. Our group tends to lose interest fast in traitor games, if our play sessions of Betrayal At House On The Hill is anything to go by. Nobody wants to be "the bad guy." This is why we can't do DM games either.

GrandpaPants posted:

If you want medieval/fantasy cooperative, then I would really recommend the Lord of the Rings one. There's a fair amount of quarterbacking in it (if you let it happen), but it's a fun discussion and it feels like a puzzle that actively hates you. Success and failure can be dependent on luck (as getting 3 event tiles in a row loving sucks), but there are ways to mitigate/be prepared for some of the events. And when (if) you finally get to Mordor, it really does feel like a
struggle the entire way.
Are we talking about this LOTR? Does it lend itself to replay, or do the sequence of events unfold in similar ways? Most of the group loves LOTR, so they'd probably like it. Do you suggest any expansion packs?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's still the lowest it's been in a while, even for a cheapo like me :(. I'm getting an Amazon gift card this week, so I hope it's still in stock by the time it arrives.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A friend just got Civilization: The Board Game as a gift. How long of a game session are we in for? :ohdear:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Evil Vin posted:

Are the D&D board games worth it? They look pretty cool, but I'd rather trust goon opinion over the masses. I've been looking at Castle Ravenloft, since it's the cheapest on Amazon currently, but reviews seem to mention it's rather impossible to beat. So should I pick it up or just save my money and later pick up something else I've had my eyes on like Descent.

Also is the any interplay between the games? A friend of mine has Legend of Drizzt, and I was kind of curious. I'd ask him his opinion but he really hasn't played it.
There is interplay between the games in that you can use the power cards from one game with the other, assuming they're the same class/race. You might be able to import whole characters too. From what I understand, the Drizzt characters are more powerful than Ravenloft.

My group has played Legend of Drizzt probably about 5 times and we like it, but are a little lukewarm about the whole thing. The game really tries to beat you down as much as possible and make it really hard. However, that only really comes out in the encounters/curse cards since the rules are pretty simple and its hard to go off the path too much.

The book comes with.. 12(I think) scenarios to play out. Most are cooperative, some are PVP either through defeating other players or by getting a higher score. There's a multitude of ways to play. If you've played D&D at all, it's going to feel very watered down.

I think it's suited for a group of people who want a D&D experience without having to set up their own characters or scenarios. It's quick and easy and just scratches the surface of that itch. I think it works as a newbie experience to board games, as experienced players will probably be bored by its simplicity.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope Mice and Mystics can pop up on Amazon sometime soon :ohdear:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cactrot posted:

I just hope the pre-orders actually ship someday.
The website said October 3rd, so however true that is

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quidnose posted:

Ahahahaha. I can't wait for the Draw Something boardgame.
You don't have to wait (buy now)

http://www.hasbro.com/games/en_US/shop/details.cfm?R=2BB5C200-5056-900B-10EE-7B498EF948AA:en_US

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ordered Mice and Mystics today. So excited to play it when it gets here. I appreciated people posting their impressions, it definitely seems like the game my group wants to play.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zerox147o posted:

Friends have been digging Munchkin. Playing with the base game atm, anyone got a good recommendation on which expansions are worth picking up or is it entirely based on whatever flavor the group happens to like the most?
Just tread lightly when you get into expansions. My gaming group has the base game + 3 expansions. When you play the game with all 3.. you can have games that take upwards of 4-7 hours to finish because there's so many cards to screw people over with and just general inventory to take care of with your own hand. If you get more than one expansion, I would just suggest not to combine them, just play Game + 1 expansion at a time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My group is going to finally get around to playing Mice and Mystics tonight. Is there any confusing rules that we should look out for? I'm keeping the previous scenarios in mind when it comes to monster surges and the like.

Super excited.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

McNerd posted:

Played my first session of Mice and Mystics last night. Unfortunately we only got through half of the first chapter, since we started over after realizing we had the cheese rules wrong. We were putting cheese on the minion wheel every time they or we rolled cheese in combat. It was not a good time. After that it was pretty fun, although really the combat seems a little too brainless at times.

Has anybody else considered houseruling the catnip? "Instantly eliminate Brodie" seems not only incredibly overpowered but also unfun: I want to fight the drat cat! Off the top of my head I'm thinking something like a decoy effect on his next chase action, then for the rest of the battle he treats rats and roaches and possibly spiders as if they were mice (i.e. he may target them depending on the usual criteria). Even that might be overpowered sometimes if you're fighting Brodie+elite rat warriors or something, but I don't know if that ever happens, and at any rate surely it can't be worse than before?
Our first session also ended in defeat, but at least we made it to the courtyard tile. It took us a while to get started at first, but I feel like the rulebook isn't helpful enough. We had questions about certain aspects of the game that couldn't be found anywhere except on the Youtube video that explained how to play the game. I suggest anyone who is about to play M&M for the first time to watch that Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ytmBjB6bY

I don't think you need to houserule the catnip, since Brodie can also attack minions. When we first encountered him in the kitchen, he used his pounce ability and landed on a space with 6 roaches on it (the kitchen counter) and killed all 6 of them with that attack. It helped us out immensely in clearing out the tile which would have taken us who knows how much longer if we had killed Brodie early.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 10, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I feel like I've been spoiled by all the times I've played Dominon online. Playing in person seems like it would be a disaster in deck shuffling and just management of the cards.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With the increasing amount of Ipad board game apps, I could see it happen.

Forbidden Island on Ipad is fantastic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Played my first game of Ticket to Ride tonight and got absolutely mauled. Final score was something like 142-60.

It still hurts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I played Acquire with Tigris & Euphrates this weekend and absolutely loved both of them. Someone please suggest to me more tile placement games.

It's hard to boil down what I really enjoyed about them. The whole stock ownership correlating with the number of hotels in Acquire was a nice mechanic, while I also liked the combination of kingdoms/hotels in both of them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Was there a recent reprint of Ra? It seems like it, but looks like it may already be out of stock at places like CSI. Amazon has a listing, but the picture is Priests of Ra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A friend of mine is asking for Steam Park and Splendor for Christmas. Anyone feel more strongly about one or the other? They seem to be reviewed similarly.

Our group is a little bit past the beginner stage and don't mind a meatier game. Grognard levels are probably too much as our pick up groups are more casual and would like something easier to digest.

• Locked thread