Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Flowerfall has a Kickstarter now, where you can get the game for $12 until the end of the day, at which point it will cost $15. The game seems like a super ridiculously light game where you let cards fall and score based on some area majority mechanism, or something. It's $12 for a light fluffy game that could serve well to cap off the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Manatee Insanity posted:

Agricola has been my favorite for awhile now. I highly recommend it if you want to try the euro style of games.

I played Agricola for the first time last Saturday, and I enjoyed it well enough. I'm not sure why it got as huge as it did, but it's probably the best medium weight worker placement game, although that could be a bit of a narrow field. My enjoyment of the game might be biased since I won with 42 points, while second place only had 20. Apparently Plow-Maker and a good oven is a useful combination to have.

I ordered Troyes and I'm excited about that, as it seems more weighty than Alien Frontiers. Did anyone try out Sky Traders yet?

Edit: I really like Dominant Species, but it is unfortunately a game that is hard to get on the table since it takes forever to play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

If you want to recommend a great worker placement Euro game, Hansa Teutonica is your best option. It's really simple. It gets people used to the idea of action blocking without completely ruining their strategy at a key point, thus it's more friendly for beginners. It has very typical Euro style scoring in that you don't always want to be first to score X because then others can score more after that.

Also it has wooden cubes, glorious glorious wooden cubes.

I think thread superstar White Howler agrees with this, I seem to recall he loved this game as well. You should link his "Meepletown" blog in the main op.

I like Hansa Teutonica, but every game I've seen has always been a bit of a clusterfuck to get to the +Action location. I also think that there needs to be a stronger incentive to go down the middle route as well, as the games I've played/seen seem to never use approximately 75% of the board. We could just suck, though, but more actions is super tempting.

For a similar "upgrade" mechanism on a seemingly underrated game, I would really recommend Endeavor. I only played it once, and I think someone might get burnt out quick if they play it over and over again, but I think it has some really interesting mechanisms. No random element either, except for the way the board is set up, which also adds an element of variability to the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

If you guys enjoy Virgin Queen, the designer of the game was lead designer of the expansion for this obscure little game called Civilization 5. Unfortunately, Virgin Queen seems like one of those games that I would love to play, but could never get on the table.

Ed Beach, convert your boardgames into videogames.

Edit: Re: Power Grid, I played Power Grid: First Sparks, and while I like the original Power Grid more, First Sparks is much much more newbie friendly and will likely be suggested more since it is less heavy. The "technology" cards are mostly useless though and definitely seem the weak link in design.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Back in February, Treefrog Games announced that A Few Acres of Snow: 2nd Edition would be out in May/June. Has there been any information since then? I'm getting impatient here!

Cool Stuff Inc got it in on Monday (I don't know if it was the 2nd edition exactly, but it was definitely a restock). It is currently sold out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, where does Agricola have card drafting?

I would assume you can conceivably draft the minor improvements and occupations. Might actually balance it out somewhat as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

Is there a similar game where you play against a deck/automated enemies?

Munchkin :v:

But I think the upcoming Mice and Mystics doesn't have a dedicated DM player, and is dungeon crawlish. Dungeoneer is a card-based dungeon crawl that is super simple (perhaps overly so), but also doesn't have a dedicated DM player. In the case of that game, though, everybody gets to be a dick to you.

On another note, this microgame library Kickstarter is ending in like 3 hours and may interest some people who want some more filler games. Like me! Infinity Dungeon especially sounds great if your friends also happen to be tabletop roleplayers, so you can collectively figure out how to get out of a dungeon room together.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I was browsing through BGG and saw this giant effortpost on 7 Wonders. It's, uh, certainly something.

Has anyone ever played BattleCON? I looked into it based off that minigame library Kickstarter I posted yesterday, but the game seems like Yomi but doesn't cost $100. Is it any good?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Eminent Domain? I already own and like Dominion and Puerto Rico, which both seem to be ancestors of Eminent Domain in terms of mechanics. I'm wondering:

1. if it's a good game, period.

and

2. if it's different enough from those other two for me to pick it up.

I would say that it is different enough from those other two, but I personally find the game dull and lifeless. Nothing against the mechanics, but playing it just feels dry. This is perhaps my bias against deckbuilders showing, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

So Kingdom Builder won Spiel des Jahres which should tell you what a poor year it was for board gaming and how worthless that award is.

I got curious as to what other games won the SdJ and it seems a bit skewed towards lightweight games? I'm not sure what this award is meant to award, but the answer doesn't seem to be "deep, engaging gameplay."

2011: Qwirkle
2010: Dixit
2009: Dominion
2008: Keltis (what the gently caress is Keltis?)
2007: Zooloretto
2006: Thurn and Taxis
2005: Niagara
2004: Ticket To Ride
2003: Alhambra
2002: Villa Paletti

I was actually semi-interested in that Village game until I saw that it was one of the nominees? Or something? Either way, given its company, I'm not sure it's exactly the proper game for me, but has anyone actually played it and whether it's any different than all the other umpteen worker placement games?

Edit: 2011 saw Eclipse, Mage Knight, Ora et Labora, Castles of Burgundy, and Dungeon Petz among other releases. I'm not even counting the American games because Europe doesn't seem to either. It was a pretty good year.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 10, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

homullus posted:

I have actually been wondering about Lords of Waterdeep -- how is it?

I can't really fault the game for anything in particular, but it is just a really basic worker placement game. Caylus feels deeper and has more depth to its gameplay, but I can't fault LoW for being a good intro to worker placement. I would place it alongside Stone Age as an inoffensive game that you will grow out of. Also, mandatory quests are complete rear end in a top hat moves.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Here is an article from FFG about Android: Netrunner. It doesn't really give much information and seems more of a marketing/PR thing than anything, but it does show one of the corporations (Jinteki). I have no context for anything, but man is it weird to see all these gameplay terms that I am fairly certain are just rewords/reflavorings of stuff from MTG. I assume to "score" is to "play" and "R&D" is your "library," but I hope that they have some sort of translation cheat sheet for this game. Since, y'know, who hasn't played Magic and is interested in an LCG?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lorini posted:

Uwe Rosenberg does a far better job of this in Ora & Labora. You still have the buildings and the resources, but you (at least from what I can see after playing 10 or so times) have more strategies that you can win with. You can win with settlements, you can win with Wonders, and you can win with just plain buildings. You also don't have the camping issue, and you are better able to screw with your opponents. We haven't played Le Havre since getting Ora & Labora, I just think it's the superior game.

Among Le Havre, Ora, and Agricola, which is the best game, as far as strategic depth and player interaction is concerned? If it helps, I consider my gold standard Euro to be Caylus (but am otherwise an Ameritrasher through and through, it seems).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is it an actual bad game or was it poorly marketed/priced or what? The miniatures looked pretty rad and it's not terribly rated on BGG, so I'm not sure what the hell happened there. Cool minis plus potentially terrible game seems to have worked for all those CoolMiniOrNot Kickstarters, so I dunno.

Also, while I was browsing auctions on BGG and eBay, I noticed that a lot of people buy/sell used copies for more than it would cost on Amazon, when shipping is accounted for. Is there something I'm missing here or is buying one of these auctions more an exercise in philanthropy rather than bargain hunting?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So here is a (:nws:) a new Kickstarter for a game with mechanics that might appeal to a lot of people, getting on the whole deckbuilding craze, along with a pretty interesting theme (Greek vs. Norse gods) that could expand pretty easily to other pantheons and be pretty interesting. Then you scroll down and go "Oh." The people who are bringing this over are the people who brought over Tanto Cuore, which actually explains an awful lot.

Also, is that game stored in a coffee can?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

One of the reasons why I didn't get the Horned Rat expansion is because of this dude's review on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/736740/10-reasons-why-this-is-not-a-good-expansion

The dude apparently plays CitOW a lot, and doesn't like what the expansion adds. How accurate are his points?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CSI is taking pre-orders for Mage Knight. Should be shipping this week. I'd get it if I had any hope of getting it on the table, but alas (and no, I am not playing this game solo, that is just depressing).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Since it was brought up semi-recently, Super Dungeon Explore is $50 at Miniature Market. Half tempted to jump on it just for the minis, but I must be good for now. For now...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Village, the recent Kennerspiele des Jahres winner, whatever that actually means or signifies, is now for sale at Tasty Minstrel Games' website for $40. I read the rules and it seemed like just another worker placement game except that some of the workers could die, but it didn't exactly excite me. Has anyone actually played this yet?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Prefect Six posted:

That's good to hear. Is it at all backwards compatible with the first edition expansions?

Have you had any experience with the campaign system or at that point should you just look into 4th or pathfinder?

You should never look into Pathfinder, but I suppose I should leave grog out of this thread. And although I can't say from personal experience, there is some sort of "conversion kit" that converts heroes and monsters to 2nd edition.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

xopods posted:

I don't even know what else is on my to-buy list at the moment. Maybe something lighter that my wife would be more into, but that I'm not going to find boring? (I know she'll like 7 Wonders, but I don't know what else to get...)

You should probably tell us what kind of games you actually do like. I can blindly suggest Arkham Horror, Android and Twilight Imperium, but that may not actually help you if you hate large, complex games.

That being said, while 7 Wonders is light, it is a lovely 2 player game. Unfortunately, I can't really think of good light 2 player games, but other light games that are playable are Carcassonne and Tsuro. I hate it, but other people like Ticket to Ride, so there you go.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

taser rates posted:

I was thinking of picking this up, are any of the expansions worth getting?

The three mini-expansions that add powers/races (Cursed, Dames, and Be Not Afraid) are worth it if you like it. No reason to pick it up now unless you know you already like the game. If you do pick them up, though, get Be Not Afraid first since it comes with a tray that fits all the other expansions. I like the Underground powers/races, too, although a lot of them are just remixes of the original Small World ones. Elves, for example, become the power Immortal, Dragon Masters become an item that everyone can get, etc. I think the balance/interestingness works out better, but I don't have any math to back me up on that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

xopods posted:

I'm not actually looking for two-player games. Basically all my wife ever wants to play when it's the two of us is Dominion or my own game Insidious Sevens, and I'm okay with that. It's just annoying when my friends and I want to play Dungeon Lords or Urban Spawl and she neither wants to play those, nor wants to be left out, so we end up playing Tikal or Thurn & Taxis or whatever, which, while fun, start making me feel like I'm playing on autopilot after a while.

I think that autopilot-y feeling is pretty indicative of "light" games in general, but you might have some success in games that aren't exactly rules extensive, but the social interaction aspects make up for the lack of deep rules. The poster child for this type of game would probably be The Resistance (you will need at least a group of five), but you may also want to look into Dixit or maybe even Small World and Galaxy Trucker. I like 7 Wonders, but it is also a game that you can get burnt out on really quickly if you play it too often. Once a week is probably a good pace, and variety is the spice of life etc.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

xopods posted:

So she likes Dominion, because she feels like she can make each purchase decision in a vacuum (even though this is why she loses), etc. Whereas the time I convinced her and some friends to play Dominant Species with me, I thought it was going to end in divorce.

Although I hate the game, Race for the Galaxy does "I can work in a vacuum (and still lose)" pretty well. God is that a dull game, though. Edit: I would read the rules, download Keldon's AI, and try it out there first. The iconography is loving hell on new players.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm itching for a Magic the Gatheringish two-player card game without the collectible part. Besides Summoner Wars, what options do I have? If I do buy the Summoner Wars Master Set, what other decks/factions would you guys recommend buying if I want to get something extra?

I don't really get the connection between Summoner Wars and MTG aside from both being card games, but all the factions have their own playstyle, so they are all pretty much worth getting. I personally like the Jungle Elves, myself. If you like them more, there is also the reinforcement packs for added variety!

I haven't read the rules or anything and I have no idea how well it plays/is balanced, but you may want to keep an eye on Mage Wars. Seems like some weird fusion of non-collectible MTG and Summoner Wars style arena combat.

You may also want to look into the upcoming Android: Netrunner.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

I've been on a bit of a kaiju kick lately. I thought about buying Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars, but I've heard really bad things. I heard there exists a better kaiju game out there, but no matter how much I scour Google or Board Game Geek I can't find any other information. Anyone know?

I think what you're thinking of is King of Tokyo. Never played it, but heard good things. Possibly also Monsterpocalypse, but I don't know if they are still selling that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

Also, are there any tricky/unclear things I should be aware of before playing?

Apparently you can't use Trade Goods to buy votes unless you are the one race.

In general though, go for Victory Points above all else. You might think it's cool to like, expand and cripple someone's fleet and whatnot, but if you are not doing that to get victory points, you will lose (unsurprisingly). If you are playing with the original role cards, take Imperium whenever you can, and if you can't do that, take Initiative so you can take Imperium next turn. After that it's up to you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Thanks for all the card game recommendations so far. When I mentioned MtG, I meant games where you spawn monsters and whirl spells/events at each other, not games that actually imitate its mechanics. I'll definitely look into all games mentioned, but currently I feel like I'll probably go with Summoner Wars just to find out what's with all the fuzz.

It's not a card game, but Chaos in the Old World is a pretty great "spawn stuff and dick over other players with cards" game. drat I love that game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

jmzero posted:

I posted earlier about Infiltration... I've played it a few more times now, and have gone from vaguely positive to very negative.

I didn't like the game once I realized my enjoyment of the game was derived from what equipment cards I got. My "favorite" game of it was when I had a Sledgehammer, whatever future equivalent of C4, and the Buckyballs, so I just stayed back and smashed tech locks while everyone else rushed forward, and as they were rushing back, I slowed them down with C4 in whatever room had Buckyballs. That game was okay because I actually felt like I was doing something to the other players or, really, doing anything at all. Past that it is just a laborious and tedious sort of game that I find myself raising the alarm level in as often as I can just so it can end faster.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I very much like the game, and came in second place (of four). Seth colonized/controlled about six planets and kicked our asses. I have no idea how he grabbed so many, it was very impressive!

I played a game of Eminent Domain last night and colonized around 8 planets. The secret to this game shattering strategy is have a player somehow pick Colonize as their role when you have the necessary Colonizes in your hand. Having Surveys help as well!

I do not like this game because I did not feel that I actually "won," as it seemed like a matter of coincidence that someone else picked the role that was best for me. I did not plan much of that, aside from having a lot of Colonize cards, I guess, but it was still luck that they always ended up in my hand when someone else just happened to pick Colonize. I have noticed that the winner tends to be one of the players whose strategy to win coincides with someone else's. Unfortunately, it's a 4 player game with 3 main paths of victory (Colonize/Warfare, Research, and Produce/Trade), one of which I have never seen win (Produce/Trade). I'm also somewhat biased against games where I "need" to card count if I'm being super serious about winning, which I'm luckily usually not since, again, I do not like this game.

Edit: I also lucked out with two of those planets having the +1 hand size ability and two of those planets being the 6 points Prestige world. Both of these are either incredibly useful or just a huge swing in points for...not that much work (both were 4 Colonizes each, which was reduced to 2 because I got Fertile Ground and 1 planet that happened to have a Colonize symbol).

It suffers from the same paradoxical situation that I notice in Race for the Galaxy in that there is skill involved since the good player usually wins, but at the same time, there's this feeling of luck being heavily involved that taints the sweetness of victory. I can't really understand why it feels that way despite evidence to the contrary, but it just does feel like I somehow lucked my way to victory, however consistently that may be.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 29, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So after using the Warhammer license to great success with Blood Bowl: Team Manager and Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games decided to use the rich setting of WH40K for...Talisman: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3446

A 40k adventure type game would have been pretty cool, but Talisman is like the opposite of adventure in that you are literally walking around in circles without any sense of objective besides trying to figure out the quickest way to end the drat game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Pierzak posted:

It seems that doing boardgame room duty at a convention has its drawbacks. I now have an even longer backlog of games I have to play more/buy. Also, I caved in and bought Innovation and its expansion. The new edition looks good but it's not written in a way that gives me a linguistic orgasm like the original is. Also, the Polish edition seemed to have printing errors, so gently caress that, Asmadi it is. Learn to love minimalism.

Regarding the new "prettier" version of Innovation, this BGG thread makes a good case against it: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/830354/gameplay-aesthetics-a-visual-comparison-of-asmadi

Basically, while it looks better, the graphical layout is worse. Innovation in general seems to be a pretty underrated game. A lot of people dislike it, and I can sort of understand it, but it's just fun to make ridiculously broken combinations and then lose to an even more broken combination. gently caress Gunpowder.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm just afraid they'll run out of print. :ohdear:

They do run out of print pretty quickly, doubly so if they're "new," but there should be a reprint of some stuff coming in September, notably the Fallen Kingdom and Cloaks army decks. Summoner Wars can become quite a collector's nightmare...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Here's an article talking about one of the changes to Android: Netrunner, regarding traces: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_nrep.asp?eidm=69

Having never played the original Netrunner, I have no idea whether this is a positive or negative impact, but I guess I will trust that the designer/playtesters know what they are doing. Anyone who knows the original game care to comment?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Trynant posted:

Christophe Boelinger, the guy behind Dungeon Twister and Earth Reborn, has been making a worker placement game called Archipelago. The rulebook got posted online today, and the concept looks amazing (also the icon for the island rebels is great).

Archipelago is a worker placement game with tile-laying exploration, mechanics reinforcing negotiation (as in it's totally cool to trade resources Catan-style), secret end-game conditions for each player, and well, a bunch of stuff. It's basically looking to be a mix of Carcassonne, Caylus and Puerto Rico except with a theme. I'm hyped.

EDIT: Forgot the link to the rulebook, it's now linked above and right here: http://ovh.ludically.com/downloads/ArchipelagoSite/Archipelago.Rulebook.EN.web.pre.pdf

I read the rules, and while I'm interested in playing the game because I love the hell out of Dungeon Twister, the game feels like it could get fiddly. I mean, I guess I consider Agricola's supply refresh pretty fiddly, but having to tip over your meeples at the beginning of every turn, having to manage domestic and export markets, population and rebel population, they all sound nice and extensive on paper, but drat there is going to be a lot of bookkeeping here. I also kinda wonder why there are multiple game lengths, especially when the long game supposedly takes the amount of time as two short games.

Like I said, I'd still play it, but man it seems like it'd be a tough sell. Sort of like Dungeon Twister, really.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The rules for Antoine Bauza's (of 7 Wonders fame) new game is now available. The game seems really, really simple, which I suppose is his design style, but that art is really gorgeous to me. It feels like some sort of weird worker placement game, but my biggest fear is whether or not there will be much variability between games. There seem to be no random elements aside from turn order and who your traveler actually is, plus a few things in the game itself that probably don't amount to much, so replayability might be a concern.

I might still pick it up though since that art/board looks great and will undoubtedly be stained by gamer fingers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

If you do play Chrononauts, get rid of any card that manipulates hand sizes. If I remember correctly, there is at least one card that causes everyone to put their cards in a giant pile and then redistribute them evenly. This sucks because one of the winning conditions is having 10 cards in hand, and if you had 8 and someone else had 4, well, you do the math. It just feels like a Munchkin-esque "screw you" without any need for strategy or tactics or anything resembling playing a game, instead just having the luck of stumbling upon a certain card while losing.

It is otherwise an okay filler game that probably plays a bit too long. I really wish someone would take the concept and make something better out of it, though. Maybe changing the timeline in certain ways introduces new rules to the game that all other players have to adapt to, as a way to signify the changing "present"? I dunno.

Speaking of changing rules, I had an opportunity to play DXV's latest prototype, which is essentially crazy eights with infinite rule variations. You basically have a hand of cards, and there's a card in the middle that has a few animal symbols on it, and you have to play a card that matches one of the animal symbols. The gimmick is that there are a number of cards in the game with rules, such as "You win if all your cards have rabbits on them" or "All camels are crazy." It is obviously a casual sort of game that seems like it would play pretty well on a family vacation, but like most of DXV's designs, are just too simple for me to really care about playing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Oh, were you at BBG?

Someone from BBG brought it over to another boardgaming group and offered it to me and my friends because we "looked bored" just socializing with each other. On another note, the bay area has a ridiculous number of different groups.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, besides BBG, there's around 5 other groups in my general vicinity. Anyway, I wasn't aware other people bring Donald's prototypes to game groups.

This was the first time he brought a prototype, but I suppose since it was just a card game, it was highly portable. He has invited me multiple times to BBG but I can't/don't really want to go all the way out to Berkeley on a weekday night to play boardgames. That's what Friday nights...are...for...:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

After the success of that anime titty deckbuilder's Kickstarter, Cool Mini Or Not, that company whose main selling point in their games is the minis, has decided to get in on that lucrative anime action with their new Kickstarter. Vaguely :nws:. The non-objectionable sculpts actually do look pretty good, though.

• Locked thread