Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
How many people do I realistically need for Battlestar? BGG says 5 are recommended but my group is just 3 most of the time and only upward of 4 max right now because of space constraints. Should I wait until I get a bigger table and can recruit more people?

What games are good for groups this size? Right now we're playing Settlers, Puerto Rico, zombies!!! , and Tigris and Euphrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I had been considering TtA so maybe I'll pick that up next. Chaos in the Old World sounds good too. I had also been considering Agricola (mostly due to hype), Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert, Cyclades and Power Grid. Any of those play well with 3/4?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I finally got to play Chaos in the Old World tonight. Everything seemed to go pretty well except one thing seemed broken. Is there no way that heroes can be killed/removed? We got to the point where there were so many heroes on the board that we had to start substituting other tokens and that just didn't seem right. Otherwise it went great and was a ton of fun.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

DontMockMySmock posted:

An average game of CitOW lasts about six rounds, so a hero will kill on average about three figures (not counting the last one right before the game ends). There can be at most four heroes, so even if the heroes all come out, they'll kill on average 12 dudes. And most games don't see all the heroes come out.

You've just got to :dealwithit:

That seems a little more reasonable. I think by the end of the game we had 7 or 8 heroes out and I Brittonia had 3 by itself..it was a little silly.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Amazon has Galaxy Trucker for $39.62 with SSS and prime eligible. This is the lowest the price has ever been according to camelcamelcamel.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XLU8H6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354219638&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Carados posted:

Why do you post these things. I don't even know anything about Galaxy Trucker besides people like it, why did I order it?

Because I want to see other people enjoy the deal since I am swamped in bills and Christmas preventing any purchases at the moment. :(

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I recently added Power Grid to my collection and I've been loving it. Our first game of all new players was a complete mess of rules violations though. I'd highly recommend that anyone new to the game get the reference sheets from BGG here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13186/power-grid-step-based-game-summary. That solved a lot of the problems with restocking the market and when to remove which power plants. Also, depending on your group size, it might be worth it to pick up the Robots expansion. It's basically card board AI to add players and I think it's only :10bux: on Amazon.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
It looks like I'm going to have 5 this weekend for my game group, but I really want to get another play of CitOW in since it was so well received last time and we've only gotten a chance to play once. I went ahead and picked up the expansion, despite the balance issues people mentioned in the thread.

Looking over the rules, it says you can use the old chaos cards instead of the expansion cards. Does this make it any more balanced or will the new god break the balance of the base game using stock cards? Also, since this is only our 2nd playthrough, should I leave out these new "expert" Old World cards or throw a few in? Last game Slaanesh ended up getting a VP victory so the Old World cards didn't seem to be too big of a factor.

Finally, is there any sort of strategy guide for the new Skaven god? I know we all got a lot of use out of the reference for the 4 base gods last time we played, particularly with respect to how to play against other players.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Thanks for the advice on Arkham Horror and Mansions, I'm gonna try to get a few friends together and try to hook them on Arkham Horror.

Also just went to Target and they're clearing our some board games:

X wing is $27.99
Lord of the rings lcg is $20.99
Deadwood $20.99
Rune (wars? I forget) $20.99
Munchkin $17.99
Pandemic $27.99

They also had Catan and a couple others for I assume similar prices. I snagged X-Wing and LotG, I may head back for Pandemic.

I don't think that's a clearance. Target is just running a 30% off sale on all of their strategic board games. I was able to pick up Ticket to Ride last night for $35. Obviously YMMV but my local store has a pretty decent selection for a chain department store.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Does anyone have any experience with either of the "Big 2" summer conventions? I'm trying to make some summer plans and I'd like to hit up either GenCon or Origins since they're both easily within driving distance. It seems that Origins is really much cheaper over all, and since I'm primarily interested in board games and not so much RPG/CCG/LCG/miniatures it seems like Origins might be the best choice. Anyone been to both and want to comment?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

GrandpaPants posted:

The two box designs are just that, two different box designs. The only other difference I can think of is possibly an errata'ed rulebook, but as far as I know, it's just a reprint.

Also I've never played Horus Heresy, but yes get Chaos.

The first edition also has a misprint on the Slaanesh player card indicating you only have to place 1 corruption token instead of two. Insignificant if you read the FAQ and keep it in mind, but if you have the option and they're the same price, I'd say go for the new edition.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Has anyone played Trajan? I just watched a couple of video reviews for it and it looks awesome.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

werdnam posted:

Yes! I own Trajan and have played it twice. I like it a lot -- the "mancala" mechanic is cute and fun to play with. It has some downsides, though: (1) It's got a lot of little bits in lots of different areas, so it's a little annoying to set up. (I expect this can be fixed with a Plano box but I haven't done it yet.) (2) The rules take awhile to explain and you have to go through all of them to get started because basically it's a role selection game. Thus, you have to know what each role does to make informed choices; on top of that, most roles have a few sub-options and they all interact with each other's powers to varying degrees. (This can be mitigated by printing out some good player aids: BGG has several). (3) The mancala mechanic makes it look like you can plan way ahead, but it would take some sort of supergenius, I think, to be able to plan it all out several turns ahead. This means that if you have anyone prone to severe AP, this game might not be a good choice. (This problem can be mitigated, as with most AP problems, by choosing the players carefully.)

I know that sounds like a lot of downsides, but once the game starts going it flows pretty well, presents interesting choices, has multiple paths to victory, and uses some interesting creative mechanics. So I do recommend it although I acknowledge that it's not perfect. It probably would be better if it were pared down a bit, but I still enjoy it as is. And it won Games Magazine's "board game of the year" award for 2012, for whatever that's worth.

Hmm, that sounds mostly manageable. My group doesn't really tend to get wrapped up too much on analyzing minutiae, so this sounds like a pretty solid choice. Thanks!

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Yoshimo posted:

How easy did you find learning it with two players? Because we looked at it with three, and saw that there's a whole separate rule for less than 4-5 players (those stupid Android things, or whatever) - so we just waited until a day we could get four people together, and still found it a bit of a headfuck to learn.

My wife and I managed to play all but the last stimulation with just the two of us. It was pretty much an abysmal failure every time, but we at least got the rules down and it was much easier to teach new people after that. We still haven't gotten a chance to play the full game though. Every time we bring it out to teach new people, we get through a few sims and then they're ready to move on to something else. Maybe one day...

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I've got 3 or 4 people coming over Saturday so maybe I'll try that accelerated version. One guy already partially knows the rules, so hopefully it won't be too painful. Hilarious death here I come!

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Elysium posted:

The very first time I played, with all new players (and not serious boardgamers), we ran through the full set of test missions up to a full mission.

Now, I never do more than 1 tutorial (first test mission) when playing with new players.

Explain the rules (minus C buttons and internal threats), set up random tracks/enemies (not presets), run 1st test mission. Explain rest of rules, full mission.

For anyone having trouble teaching Space Alert, do this. I played last night and we did one training mission and then I explained the rest of the rules and we played two full on missions. We lost, but it wasn't due to a rules misunderstanding, it was just due to Space Alert.

In Catan related news, one of my buddies brought Catan over and somehow we ended up playing it. Not only did we play Catan though, we also played the worst house ruled version I've ever played. During initial set-up, all resource hexes were randomized and played in the frame, that's cool. However, then all of the probability numbers were played FACE DOWN and we had to make initial settlement decisions based solely on what resources were near each other and with no probability information. I think I ended up producing resources maybe 3-4 times during the entire game. Way to make a painful game even more painful.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

GrandpaPants posted:

No, the Inception of boardgames is probably Android. THAT is a game with mechanics within mechanics.

I still haven't seen a Tom Vasel review where he actually gave a substantive opinion on something besides some version of "It's fun!" or "There's a lot of replayability!", but he does do a pretty good job at giving an overview of mechanics and components.

Then you obviously haven't seen his review of Redneckopoly. Some game publisher insisted that he reviewed this game and it's pretty awesome. Particularly the component drop and the end.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5lqLOzUlpM8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5lqLOzUlpM8
(Forgive the mobile link, I'm posting from my phone)

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I picked up Copycat from my FLGS yesterday and it's really pretty fun. Basically you take the worker placement from Agricola, the deckbuilding/card recycling from Dominion, and the market aspect of Through the Ages and that's Copycat. I'm a fan of worker placement games in general so that was nice, but I've never really cared for Dominion much because I play with a lot of MtG players who are just trying to "solve" various configurations which makes it unfun for everyone else. I feel like this might deter them a bit because you're limited a bit in what you can buy and it would be hard to make a solveable situation especially with larger groups. Another difference from Dominion is that you score VPs from cards when you play them, not just calculated at the end. I think this is a nice touch because it makes VP cards feel a little more valuable and less like "necessary trash" in the deck. Last night it was just the wife and I playing, and with two it seems like things can get a little out of hand. For example, I had a card which let me double all VPs I got in a single turn. I ended up with 11, which doubled to 22. When you're only playing to 95, that's a pretty significant jump. My wife almost had a strategy to come back from it, if only I hadn't drawn my double VP card AGAIN on the last turn. I think with more players, your access to VPs would be a little more limited and wouldn't allow for run away plays like that. Regardless, it's a fun game even at two players but I look forward to playing it again soon with more people because I have a feeling the dynamic will change quite a bit.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Broken Loose posted:

Your expression that "solving" Dominion Kingdoms is both possible and not fun, along with your not understanding the beauty of dead weight VP cards, makes me believe that you don't really get Dominion.

I don't disagree with you. Dominion is definitely not a game for me. I can see why others might like it, and I'm not even saying it's a bad game. It's just definitely not something that I would ever buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I was at a FLGS that I rarely frequent today and they had Mage Knight for 41.99. I wasn't even terribly interested in this, but at that price I couldn't turn it down. So here goes like 2hrs trying to figure out these rule books.

• Locked thread