Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Alice, is the upcoming novel a separate story or a novelization of the podcast, or something else entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm glad Alice isn't Dead season 3 is starting so strong.

S2 felt a little meandering with the agent constantly interjecting (the voice actress was great and she was a creepy villain, just felt like she hurt the pacing) but the narrators this time really work.

Does John Darnielle know a line from one of his songs is in the new episode?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

docbeard posted:

Speaking of Alice, is the upcoming novel a separate story or a novelization of the podcast, or something else entirely?

It's more or less the same story, told by the same writer, with an entirely different approach. Part 1 is pretty similar although with a very different point of view and exploring a lot of stuff the show can't. Part 2 starts to diverge pretty hard, and then Part 3 sprawls out in a very different direction than the show will.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Listening to the most recent episode of Alice. I really dug the "road trip freedom" digression. Really spoke to me. Just wanted to say thanks.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I’m holding maxnmona personally responsible for the detour I had to take off of I35 this morning. I listened to the new episode yesterday and laughed at the bit about the trip from Dallas to Austin taking forever. I think being late to my first meeting this morning was my punishment from whatever gods have dominion over the roads.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when we are on tour i always look forward to that I35 between san antonio/austin and dallas, because it means stopping at the torchy's in waco for lunch

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Happy 6th Anniversary! :toot:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Earwicker posted:

when we are on tour i always look forward to that I35 between san antonio/austin and dallas, because it means stopping at the torchy's in waco for lunch

Fuego is better, tortilla wise

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Just wondering if we have an ETA on All Hail going up on bandcamp?

My brother and his family went to one of the Toronto shows, but sadly I wasn't able to make it due to work.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Woah, Alice isn't Dead this week started off talking about The Moonrise Hotel and the closed Church's Chicken on the St. Louis Delmar Loop. That's so cool! The Moonrise / Eclipse is one of my favorite lounges in this awful city.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Just wondering if we have an ETA on All Hail going up on bandcamp?

i just finished putting that together and mixing it, i think i have a version that joseph and jeffrey are cool with now so should be soon, but i dont know an exact date sorry

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Woah, Alice isn't Dead this week started off talking about The Moonrise Hotel and the closed Church's Chicken on the St. Louis Delmar Loop. That's so cool! The Moonrise / Eclipse is one of my favorite lounges in this awful city.

we had a day off in st. louis last year. i really enjoyed the town. city museum especially. pretty hosed up place tho!

the moonrise hotel is like right next door to the venue we usually play (the pageant)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 18, 2018

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

i just finished putting that together and mixing it, i think i have a version that joseph and jeffrey are cool with now so should be soon, but i dont know an exact date sorry

mid-August prob

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Earwicker posted:

we had a day off in st. louis last year. i really enjoyed the town. city museum especially. pretty hosed up place tho!

the moonrise hotel is like right next door to the venue we usually play (the pageant)

Well, I'm glad someone found joy in this wretched not-city. My sister used to work at the City Museum before Bob Cassily died. It's still a cool place. I've been to a couple of the WTNV shows at the Pageant.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Today's episode was amazing. One joke stretched out through an entire episode that just became amazing purely on the delivery.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Since I've not been allowed to "Watch" any television/youtube videos at work anymore, I've been looking for things to fill my ears while I work. It's then I remembered this little podcast called Welcome to Night Vale some goons did once.

Holy poo poo, what a loving wild ride.

I've listened to it at work, I've consumed it on a 12 hour road trip (which my fiance thoroughly enjoyed), and I've grown to love all the characters. Every time I hear the Desert Bluffs music I get this visceral reaction, because it's so good. Everything is so good linked together.

Right now I've purchased all the live albums (Condos was so sweet!) and am going to see if I can find the books still in Chapters (or maybe the audiobook versions). My question is: is there an updated list on where some of the stand-alone live shows go? I know I listened to the Debate, and Condos, are those the only two which are within the time line?

Really looking forward to when/if the show makes it up to Vancouver. :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

Right now I've purchased all the live albums (Condos was so sweet!) and am going to see if I can find the books still in Chapters (or maybe the audiobook versions). My question is: is there an updated list on where some of the stand-alone live shows go? I know I listened to the Debate, and Condos, are those the only two which are within the time line?

Old Oak Doors is live but goes within the regular sequence of episodes, it's number 49

the other live shows, Investigators, Ghost Stories, and All Hail, you can listen to in any order

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

All Hail is out. :toot:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so was lucy the only human working at bay and Creek why was it just her and a mob of magic racists

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't heard the newest episode, but I thought Bay & Creek was the cover organization the government was using to keep tabs on people who started poking too deeply into Thistle.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Randalor posted:

I haven't heard the newest episode, but I thought Bay & Creek was the cover organization the government was using to keep tabs on people who started poking too deeply into Thistle.

why are they protecting thistle anyways

Also why did no one like bring a gun or drive a pick up truck into the fight

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I completely forgot that Joseph played Josh

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Today's episode sure is something.

So was that using the same tech that lets you guys swap out the ads in older episodes? Was this one of the reasons for the network switch?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 1, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I'm still getting caught up on the thread, but I wanted to say that episode 79 (Lost in the Mail. The one about the eternal blood space war) is really striking a chord with me. My dad died a few years ago, and I still sometimes struggle with the idea that I didn't know him as well as I thought I did and I just assumed some things about him that weren't true. Hearing that from the other side is really getting to me emotionally. If it weren't for Cecil breaking up the audio recordings I'd probably be crying on the way home.

So good job really getting me emotionally invested Maxnmona.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Finally finished this. I started this intending to release it for the finale, but I'm terrible at motivation. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ecSq6wydRs

I have a new respect for Rob Wilson for wrangling Cooper Black's terrible kerning.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just finished the Alice Isn’t Dead book. I’m a little disappointed the Watcher (the “Officer”) wasn’t in it more... or even as much as the podcast. That ending monologue on the podcast was really good for me.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hey. I just want to say that 1/3 to 1/2 of the readers for Pounded in the Butt are very bad at reading books out loud without loving up somehow.

I read books out loud almost every night, how do I apply to read books out loud on your comedy podcast? Should I just buy one on Amazon and read it into my mic?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm surprised this thread has been so dead, because the last few months of episodes are among some of my favorites in the series. The latest with Lee Marvin was the first episode in a long time where I started it in the car and then paused it 3 minutes in so I could listen to it on my proper sound system.

The Dark Planet, the continued time fuckery, "Past performance is not a predictor of future results", it was all just perfect. Ya'll rock, keep it up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm surprised this thread has been so dead, because the last few months of episodes are among some of my favorites in the series. The latest with Lee Marvin was the first episode in a long time where I started it in the car and then paused it 3 minutes in so I could listen to it on my proper sound system.

The Dark Planet, the continued time fuckery, "Past performance is not a predictor of future results", it was all just perfect. Ya'll rock, keep it up.

Yeah, that was a really good episode. Cecil has become familiar to us, so a new voice can recapture some of the creep from the early days. Also, I love the line “I’ve never been married, but I was divorced once,” which is a reference to the real Lee Marvin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palimony#Marvin_v._Marvin

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The Blood Space War has always been one of my favorite storylines. Didn't Zack Parsons write one of the first episodes that featured it?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I felt terrible for Lee Marvin, he seemed so down, and on his birthday of all days.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/dxexd2010/status/1120386455132606469

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Oh my, after the weather I just knew where it was going. And I was right. :cry:

He'll be back, right? The timeline will be repaired and they'll all be restored, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
According to the director notes there's 2 more episodes in this arc.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ok Google, how do I throw a brick through a podcast's window

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I trust that things will work out (for varying definitions of "work out") because they always have in the past. Even if we lose people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm catching up on last year because I fell off for a bit and man I'm glad they reused those Mountain Goats covers as weather because I forgot how good the Source Decay one was

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The Blood Space War has always been one of my favorite storylines. Didn't Zack Parsons write one of the first episodes that featured it?

yes he wrote Lost In The Mail

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

yes he wrote Lost In The Mail

nah, Blood Space War was introduced all the way back in ep 2. It's one of our longest running things.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

nah, Blood Space War was introduced all the way back in ep 2. It's one of our longest running things.

I'm still holding out for a reveal that the Apache tracker never died

Even if he was an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Loved this latest episode, and it always catches me off guard when Leonard starts an episode