Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I was re-listening to a bunch of episodes, and apparently he was first seen burning a refrigerator out in the desert. He may have originally climbed out of said refrigerator pre-tan-jacket, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

I thought it was nice to get back into the community news from Night Vale, after the more personal horror of Cassette and the narrower view from A Beautiful Dream. I'm glad there's some development on the subject of the Strexcorp invasion, even if it's indirect. I look forward to hearing more about Tamika Flynn's army!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...and neither goon was ever heard from again. They live on, though.

They live on in the Dog Park.

If you can call that living... Or even existence.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Pigbog posted:

You can know about the dog park, it's not the tiered hierarchy of angels.

That reminds me- what ever happened to the Glow Cloud? It dissipated during "A Beautiful Dream", right after giving people permission to believe in angels. Which, as the City Council would remind you, are not real.

Is.. is the Glow Cloud dead? Are we finally free?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

The only issue I find with Carlos is that (at least in the 2 live shows I've heard) recently he's gone from "the outsider investigating Night Vale" to full-on Night Vale weirdness. I'm not sure if it's related to his figurative death/rebirth that happened in One Year Later, or if that's just a more fun way to portray him for the shows.

I mean, whichever way they want to take the character is cool, but it would be a shame to lose the contrasting view and just have another person who treats the weird as normal.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Zorak posted:

I had assumed from the end of the episode that the whole "Niece" thing was a lie and it's just Cecil funding the rebellion against Strex Corp using it as a front. Plus it could also be a ruse to get station management to buy / consume something as some sort of ruse. Thus his attacking Steve Carlsberg was incidental because gently caress that guy.

Agreed for the most part. I think the "Girl Scouts" are a cover story for Tamika Flynn's child army, since he mentions them holding up books toward the end. I'm not sure whether Janice is made up though, since I like the idea of Cecil hating Steve Carlsberg for a legitimate reason. Plus it raises more questions about Cecil's family and his past.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is...is Old Woman Josie okay? :ohdear:

The angels left her unprotected, and then the yellow helicopters came for her. Perhaps even they cannot stand against the smiling god.

I still want to see the "awesome god.. Much better than that dumb god Desert Bluffs has," despite the fact that it was probably just a one off joke. And despite the fact that whatever strange deity Night Valeians might pray to under civic mandate would never actually be describable.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

The Debate was awesome. Lots of unexpected voices and cameos. Especially Kevin! And with the talk of Intern Vanessa and Desert Bluffs, I think there's some important information about Strexcorp and the Smiling God. I can't wait to hear from him again in upcoming episodes.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

While those are pretty interesting designs, I think the "some things will be leaving the store" bit was in relation to the mayoral race in June. Since that's the obvious plot point that would affect the sale of campaign posters and the like.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Annakie posted:

This might be toeing the line of actual spoilers more than speculation, since it's based on some factual information but I'm pretty sure Kevin is going to be doing one episode based on some stuff I've seen on twitter and tumblr. And then maxnmona tweeted that he had a Steve Carlsberg script written a few weeks ago, and earlier this week Hal Lublin posted a picture from a recording booth on tumblr, so, it's possible we're getting an all-Steve episode here soon, too. I could be wrong! But I'm looking forward to both of those things if they're true. :)

Oh man, that would be awesome. If there's one thing Cecil would hate more than a Strexcorp broadcast on his station it's STEVE CARLSBERG in his booth!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I liked the last crossover, but am still crushingly disappointed that it wasn't with the Beyond Belief cast.

On the bright side Cecil is in the most recent Beyond Belief and he is fantastic.
Plus he gets to do the Willy Wonka legalese spiel at the end.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

It's good to hear from Chad again after the September Monologues. I'm curious to see what otherworldly threat lurks behind the foreshadowing.

Edit: On a second listen, I realized he might be the one who released the antiques. A gnashing of teeth indeed.

Amateur Sketch fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Rose Spirit posted:

I had no idea who Andrew WK was until the two friends I was at the show with got all excited about him. He played a pretty "good" intern at least.

Ha! I knew he had to be an intern once Joseph Fink tweeted about killing him in the show. Can't wait to hear the recorded version.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

I am intrigued, what should I listen to as a my first episode? Surely not simply the first one...

Street cleaning day. :colbert:

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Crain posted:

I have a question: Does anyone know what episode it was where the Man in the Tan Leather Jacket burst into the broadcasting studio to warn the town about something? Cecil just randomly says "sorry about that listeners" or something after finishing a totally unrelated sentence.

I'm not making a joke related to MitTLJ's ability, I'm really trying to find that episode.

I want to say that was a relatively recent episode, or at least post Strex arc.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

The ennui fair was great, and this episode was probably one of the best usual-format eps I've heard in a while. I like how the overarching plot this year is Carlos being kind of a dick about staying in the desert otherworld and Cecil feeling sad about it.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Well, Kevin is back. We don't know about the rest of Strex.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just him. Although it sounds like the Smiling God is still out there in the desert otherworld, though it might be diminished in power from the loss of its corporate worshipers/blood sacrifices.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

The Houston show was great, though it left me hoping to hear Carlos' impression of Steve Carlsberg.

As far as the new episode, I like the callback to Cecil's "I'll try not to be long.." in Sandstorm. Also, if he's in the desert otherworld at least he can phase back in to the studio to do broadcasts!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

So it's 2:30am and my brain is making the sorts of connections only made by a brain at 2:30am:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, Cecil is the Apache Tracker.

Nice post/username combo! Which is to say I don't quite comprehend your conclusion.

However I could see there being some connection between the Apache Tracker and Nulgorsk. He got transported from the haunted post office to the sister city where they had always sent letters. Since Nulgorsk's connection to Night Vale was stuck in the 80s/before its destruction, the Apache Tracker was able to prevent its destruction and/or link Nulgorsk to Night Vale's non-destroyed reality. Hence, the submarine of gratitude that they sent later.

(I don't know if he left before The Traveler or whether AT would care about Megan Wallaby.. Maybe her parents had kept writing their letters.)

The fact that AT came back as a Native American who can only speak Russian could be explained as a sorting error by the interdimensional postal service.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

docbeard posted:

If anyone is an immortal time-traveling supergod in Night Vale, it's Lee Marvin

Who coincidentally turns 30 today. Happy birthday to Mr. Marvin.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Kazy posted:

:allears: Took me a second, this is great. But what about the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. :ohdear:

Much like the laser grid, Carlos would have been fascinated but Steve would get them through it (having seen an instructional diagram in the sky).

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

Donald Trump is Hyram McDaniels. Hillary Clinton is the faceless old woman.

How can Trump be Hiram when he's already literal Marcus Vansten? Descending a golden escalator is at least on par with building a proverbial literal ring and launching a golden hat into it.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

i'm not sure why, but i will never get tired of the dog park announcement being repeated nearly verbatim

Same here with "Come to the hole in the vacant lot out back of the Ralph's and huddle with Us." Which I'm glad to hear about again this episode!. Unnecessarily long repetition is kind of a running theme.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Yeah the mud description definitely felt like some kind of callback to Through the Narrow Place. More descriptive detail made it even creepier though.

I kind of hope all the emphasis on "Who's a good boy?" means there's a true-name solution to the demonic puppy situation. I also hope that name is Spot, because that's basically the name of Hades' hellhound.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

How about the Glow Cloud or the Shape in Grove Park?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Lee Marvin can't be incidental, certainly not on his birthday.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

I really should have expected the anticlimax.

Fitting for an arc about those who want Nothing.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Was anyone else kind up upset at how understanding Keisha was with Alice leaving without any notice or contact? I feel like for the entire rest of this season she's been mad, and at some points rage filled about her abandonment. Then Alice shows up for 2 minutes and suddenly they are mutually at fault? She didn't even provide any kind of explanation for leaving, other than "bad stuff is happening and I have to take care of it".

Yeah the whole "You should have respected my choice to disappear/fake my death" "Yeah sorry for looking for you" bit was weird. Do people think that's how respect/relationships work?

I can see the response being in character since Keisha finally found Alice and still loves her. Better to concede a point and celebrate that your wife is alive than spout your anger and frustration at being abandoned. Plus Keisha was preparing herself to die in a final attack, so she's focused on her own agency/choice rather than on her feelings of abandonment.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Anyways, I thought this was the best play to ask: Anybody have podcast recommendations? WtNV is the first one I've really followed and I'd love other stuff in the same vein (or just scifi/horror stuff in general.)

Check out the Serialized Fictional Podcasts thread, there's a bunch of recs/reviews of other podcasts. If you're looking for horror, I'd recommend The Magnus Archives, Archive 81 and Small Town Horror. For more scifi and less horror try Wolf 359 or Escape Pod.

On a related note, I think Within the Wires is developing well. There's still a lot of mystery as to what the protagonists are up against, but the story is becoming more compelling even with all of the action being "offscreen".

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

when is the next episode?

Late Wednesday night. They usually aim releases for the 1st and 15th of each month. The last month has been different due to OHCotA preview episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

My only remaining question about Huntokar is: Have the citizens mistakenly imagined her as actor Lee Marvin? Or is he just her high priest, and after forgetting Huntokar the town built a statue of him instead?