Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Old! The UK no longer has aircraft carriers! (The Tories are currently frittering hundreds of millions of pounds on the question of whether the new ones will carry F35As or F35Bs)

Reference to Rand Paul

Solutrean Migration Hypothesis (basically that Basques got to America and died off before Siberians crossed the Bering Strait)

From a recent demonstration against the impending privatisation of the NHS

Gold never goes down

The New Soviet Man in the Moon

Work by Kehinde Wiley

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Goddamnit there is a charts and graphs thread I am so dumb tonight

Percent Number of Irish speakers by region

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 19, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 21, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Emmett Till, an African-American boy whose murder sparked the civil rights movement

:nws:
His body after being beaten, shot and dumped in a river. As published in national newspapers:
http://i.imgur.com/d9DJ2.jpg

bawfuls posted:

Each of these towers will produce over 100 MW, nearly an order of magnitude more power than any previously built solar thermal power tower.
Impressive, but can they be used with satellites to fire laser beams like a mini Death Star?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fluo posted:

It's being 'King Robbo' goes around and ruins them.

Walking into town and seeing that, was depressing.

I just looked this "feud" up and it's pretty interesting
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/people/king-robbo-exclusive-interview-my-graffiti-war-with-banksy/

It IS pretty bizarre how councils will spend money repainting Banksy's stuff when it gets "vandalised"

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
We must use our anime, which is positive in spirit, to overcome our liberalism, which is negative.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mans posted:

I don't recognize the second person on the left, who is he?

Pretty sure it's Engels:

Poster advertising an 1896 Broadway play about the panic of 1893

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 3, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crasscrab posted:

Drawings by Friedrich Engels. The first one is a sketch of a Die Freien meeting and the last two are of Max Stirner, contemporary German philosopher and member of Die Freien, of which both Engels and Marx were also part of. My favorite thing is the little squirrel looking thingy in the upper left of the first picture. :3: Engels doodled squirrels!

Thought it was Hark, a Vagrant

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

For some reason that picture reminds me of this picture:
(The current rulers of Britain, while at university(

Bet the "chavs" (no doubt actors) did less damage

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

It strikes me that the implication from this cartoon is that even Soviet citizens recognized the words "MADE IN USA."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHq2r6BQA0

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

This artist is pretty good
http://www.nicoleschulman.com/

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The longer I live on this gay earth the more understanding I am of Stalin and pals

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

which had suffered such extensive purges that the only qualification that its officers had was that they were loyal to Stalin

Such vile lies! The indefatiguable Red Army was gloriously led by heroes like Grigory Kulik:

quote:

tendency to condemn technological advancements as "bourgeois sabotage"

quote:

campaign to develop the Red Army's mechanized forces ... Kulik successfully argued against the change, suggesting in a letter to Stalin that such attitudes showed an unhealthy ideological sympathy with the "degenerate fascist ideology"

quote:

He also disparaged using minefields as a defensive measure, considering it at odds with a properly aggressive strategy and calling it "a weapon of the weak."

quote:

Kulik similarly scorned the German issuance of the MP-40 submachine gun to their shock troops as a "bourgeois fascist affectation", stating that it encouraged inaccuracy and excessive ammo consumption among the rank and file. He forbade issuance of the PPD-40 to his units

quote:

presided over heavy Soviet defeats that resulted in the city of Leningrad being surrounded

quote:

a bizarre personal command motto he dubbed "Jail or Medal"; those under his command were either showered with (usually unearned) awards and decorations if he favored them, or simply arrested and sent to the Gulag

He was a master of Red Army strategy and tactics, his leadership an inspiration to all.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

Man I love the US educational system's simultaneous mockery of USSR propaganda and ignoring their role in pretty much single-handedly beating the Nazis.

post pics capitalist swine

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I disagree, I think it is possible to see people as evil without dehumanising them.

Swiss political cartoons:
http://www.geschichteinchronologie.ch/eu/ch/Palomino1997_handelsbeziehungen-der-Schweiz-1933-1945.htm

hitler: here in this box sits a pretty evil man, as long as i stay here he won't do anything, but if i go away he will eat all of you
hitler: so it was not meant to be (when he gets off the box)
bottom: fear mongering and its unexpected consequences

(I have no idea who the guy in the box is)

"Quiet funeral"
Refers to Hitler's nationalisation of foreign investments ("3 milliard (billion) Swiss Francs") sometimes seen as the beginning of his "raubwirtschaft" which continued with the enslavement and looting of the countries Germany conquered

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 29, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Some of those seem like good arguments for intervention in the sex market so idgi?

It occurs to me that Stockholm syndrome is basically a mirror/subset of cognitive dissonance: it happened to me so I must want it vs it didn't happen to me so I didn't want it

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 30, 2012

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I heard that the centralisation and stability of the Church are what allowed Europe to claw back again after the decentralisation and destabilisation of the collapse of the Roman empire. Starting with the Scholasticism movement in the monasteries.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Welcome to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Gruening Building. The main floor stairs exited near an entrance to the building and have (had? Been a while since I was in there...) a waist high concrete slab so in the event of a riot, security could fire out the door while having some protection...

Edit 2 - My concrete slab theory seems to be disproved around the 19 minute mark of that video. :( Ah well, it seemed so plausible.

Reminds me of a building I walked past occasionally when I was at university in Cardiff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Buildings,_Cathays_Park

quote:

The Encyclopedia of Wales describes CP2, completed in 1979, as conveying an impression of "bureaucracy under siege".[2]

These pictures don't really do justice to how ugly it is. It's right in the middle of a beautiful river-front park surrounded by museums, university buildings and churches. Walking down the street alongside it, you can't see any human activity, just angular concrete slabs, pillars and dark windows. I thought it was a military bunker or warehouse the first time I walked past it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Songs from the Finnish Civil War from both sides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUpIhG0VsE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Revolutions are caused by the Spirit of Liberalism, woooo! :ghost:

• Locked thread