Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

a false posted:

This was really depressing to watch in real time. For the uninitiated, this was Boston Bruins fans angry about Joel Ward, a black player for the Washington Capitals, scoring on them to win their playoff series. Unsurprisingly, when Joel Ward hosed up in the next series, indirectly costing his team the game, Capitals fans did pretty much the same thing.

That really bothers me as a Bruins fan. Part of the reason I love the Bruins so much is that Willy O'Ree, the first black NHL player played with the Bruins and the team stuck with him at a time when hockey was considered a white man's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Soviet Commubot posted:

A member of the Mohawk nation stares down a Canadian soldier during the Oka crisis in 1990.

We put 2,500 troops on notice.
That was one hell of an incident, I can't believe that natives killed a Provincial Police officer over a golf course.

I think the government did the right thing, look at what happened to Caledonia when the government was affraid to step in! Sometimes you have to play hardball with the natives, as unfortunate as it is.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Crasscrab posted:

FYI that cop died in an attempt by the SQ to break the Mohawk barricades, using tear gas and flash bang grenades. It's unclear whether it was the police or Mohawk that fired the first shots, but even if the Mohawk had fired first I'd say they were in the right considering the use of tear gas and flash bangs.

Corporal Marcel Lemay, the Sûreté du Québec officer killed at Oka.

The state has a monopoly on violence. The native protesters should never have been armed in the first place, and furthermore illegally barricaded public and private roads. The SQ were justified in trying to disperse an unlawful assembly. The fact that the protesters were native should have no bearing on the legality of firing on officers of the law which is totally unjustifiable.

It was the native's reckless disregard for the rule of law and public safety that lead to the Canadian Forces being involved in the first place. I can't think of any other "peaceful" protest that's lead to the army being called out. The fact that people, even now 20 years on could side with the natives in this case is really disturbing.

Futhermore, based on the legal history of land claims, had the natives stayed within the system and had their day in court, they likely would have won. The Canadian legal system has been very accomodating of lawful land disputes, and most large and well publicised claims settle in favour of the natives.

The police are allowed to use tear gas and flashbangs, you aren't allowed to shoot back - no exceptions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mans posted:

You're telling me that if a country uses it's natural resources for the good of it's people instead of the profit of a few individuals they're evil?

I get it. That's a subtle one.
Leopard 2 - German, MiG 29 - Russian

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm in a reserve artillery regiment. Most of the guys in my unit are university students, using our pay and benefits towards school. There aren't a lot of very gung-ho guys about, mostly because reserve units typically don't see a lot of action. It's pretty clear that a lot of people posting here have no connection to the military. If you don't have friends or family in, I can see why it's easy to call us facists or babykillers or whatever. You're entitled to that, but it's stupid to say that we should just desert our friends and coworkers if we're deployed. I haven't been overseas yet but about a third of my unit has. Nobody wanted this war, but it's part of the job and we have a duty.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Eiba posted:

And lest this come off as a trollish anti-soldier rant, I'm really honestly curious as to how reasonable folks here dealt with that particular aspect of their job when they signed up. How does one rationalize something like that? (Honest question, not moral outrage.)

Well, in the Canadian Forces at least the interview process is really tough and they're really good at weeding out people who are unwilling to kill or go on deployment if need be. In my processing, I met with regimental recruiters, command staff and the sergent major before proceeding with the rest of the process (medical, physical, etc.). At every level, it was made very clear that the job of the Canadian Forces is to protect Canada and her allies, and the job of the Field Artillery is to destroy the enemy. If that means killing them, so be it.

As for thoughtless killing, there are many procedures in place to make sure that doesn't happen. There are tight rules of engagement, especially with artillery to avoid friendly fire and civilian casualties.

e: As for the rationale for joining up in the first place, it can be any number of reasons. Like I said, most of the enlisted guys in my regiment are university students, and 4 years in the military can pay off most of our student loans. The education benefits are also pretty good.

ee: Based on the uniforms and insignia, those are Czechs, not Americans.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Crasscrab posted:

HEH, beta male needs to neg that whore.

What's up with that getup? Is it cosplay or something?

One of the most important diplomatic meetings in history.
Field of the Cloth of Gold, 1520.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

That fine gentleman is Mystery, notable Pick Up Artist. While, to laymen like us, Mystery appears to be cosplaying the king of the douchebags, everything about his appearance is calculated to help him score with drunk chicks (aka, the most cunning prey of all). For more information, read Neil Straus's "The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists", in which you learn many true and totally not made up things about him and his movement, such as you can use Neuro-linguistic programming to mind control people into having sex with you.

Content: Examples of the proud new science of sexology:

So, basically the whole "philosophy" is that women are morons and can be distracted with shiny things? Also, 500 lifetime partners (plus two affairs!) as a goal in life strikes me as pretty sociopathic.

Oh and I googled peacocking...

e: Political content. American servicemen make significant contributions to many local economic activities, wherever they're stationed.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 24, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JoelJoel posted:

First off, I think you're missing the point (also, zoom out far enough and LA doesn't show up on the map).

Secondly, Windsor represents roughly the same percentage of the national population as L.A.

Windsor is a pretty dull place from my experience, but that doesn't undermine its importance, particularly regarding the US.

Windsor Skyline:

That's Detroit photographed from Windsor.You can see GM headquarters in the middle.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sex ≠ Gender.
You shouldn't be able to use the washroom of the opposite sex just because you feel like it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ParaPraxis posted:

Why the hell not? Nobody seems to care who pisses in what room until Trans people are involved.

Because nobody else wants to piss in a room they aren't supposed to.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Splitting washrooms by sex isn't a perfect system, but it works. There are too many variables with transgendered people to make washrooms co-ed. How can you determine if someone has transitioned enough to use the washroom of the opposite sex? If a transman still looks like a woman, it doesn't seem like a good idea to let her use the men's room just because she feels like a man, especially from a safety point of view.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm sorry that you feel that having different washrooms for the two sexes is a great injustice. Maybe more places will have family/handicapped washrooms in the next few years.

Maybe if cognitive behavior therapy was more common, people with gender dysmorphic disorder could get the help they need without worrying about changing society.

e: grammar.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

TinTower posted:

This isn't "PYF bad fanart". :colbert:

Thomas Beatie, a trans man who made headlines four years ago for giving birth whilst still having functioning reproductive organs. He's since had a phalloplasty and is considering a hysterectomy.

She had a uterus and vagina when she gave birth though, so...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think a person's ability to carry and deliver a child is a pretty strong indicator of sex, genital inspection notwithstanding.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's okay, I forgot that transmen* are biologically female.

*e: As in men who were born female, and then carried and delivered a baby as only a female can do. Gender ≠ Sex though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bieber got the Queen's Jubilee medal.

Granted, his came out of the allotment for civilians, but only a handful of men in my regiment got them, passing over a lot of skilled combat veterans.

e: tables

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In case someone has an asterisk's brain and is transitioning their body to match it?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

TinTower posted:

Hey, can y'all stop with the transphobic jokes please? Quiggy and I both know a poo poo lot more about gender after having to do that massive soul-searching. Seriously.

Don't knowledge shame. People can have different perspectives.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What a beautiful culture.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=22a_1362495192

From about 2:50

Human Terrain Team Report on Pashtun Sexuality.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/39111225/Pashtun-Sexuality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ughhhh posted:

the RCMP decided to crack down on the Mi’kmaq tarsands blockade. People saying that cellphone coverage is down, no reporters allowed. Police cars torched and people wounded from rubber bullets.

RCMP doesn't know how to crash barricades,

Van Doos know whats up. I can't believe that the police are so scared of a couple criminals.

For Non-Canadians, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFes1gmPEMc
e: tables

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread