Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Any Barcelona goons in this thread? I'm in town from the 24th to the 4th. Wouldn't mind going for a beer or something. also let me crash at your place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Yesssss finally photographers have found something even loving sillier than HDR to ruin their pictures with. Truly a golden age is upon us

But symbolism?
You don't understand art.

"degenerate 'art'", nazi propaganda

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Trench_Rat posted:

does it say MEGA ARMYMEN or NEGRO ARMYMEN

Chechen warlord and president for life (well at least until he goes against putin) Ramazan Kaydrov

Dunno, Ramazan Kaydrov seems to be a cool dude. I mean Jean-Claude van Damme and Hillary Swank came to his birthday party, so he can't be that bad?

BBC posted:

First was Belgian martial arts movie actor Jean-Claude Van Damme, who ended his speech by yelling: "I love you Mr Kadyrov!"

Hollywood actress Hillary Swank was next on stage.

"Happy birthday Mr President," she said.

And then violinist Vanessa Mae performed. She is reported to have been paid $500,000 (£324,000) to attend.

When asked where all the money was coming from, Mr Kadyrov laughed.

"Allah gives it to us," he told reporters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15197717

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

And indeed, more recently, such as in the Great War, when Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Victor August Ernst von Hohenzollern wore the totenkopf on his hussar shako during the Verdun campaign (and indeed elsewhere). Good looking lad that he was. :)

AFAIK a Totenkopf emblem was also worn by all german flamethrower regiments in World War I. Looked for a pic where it's visible, but alas no luck.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

Cocaine and heroin are still used as medicine

:godwin:

quote:

The bizarre and unorthodox medications given to Hitler, often for undisclosed reasons, include topical cocaine, injected amphetamines, glucose, testosterone, estradiol, and corticosteroids. In addition, he was given a preparation made from a gun cleans, a compound of strychnine and atropine, an extract of seminal vesicles, and numerous vitamins and 'tonics'. It seems possible that some of Hitler's behaviour, illnesses and suffering can be attributed to his medical care. Whether he blindly accepted such unorthodox medications or demanded them is unclear.

http://www.amphetamines.com/misc/adolf-hitler.html (don't know much about that site, but the description fits what I know from german sources)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It's political because Desmond Tutu. And a Rolls Royce. And Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

Tornado92.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Fried Chicken posted:

Aaron Swartz committed suicide last night. He was 26. If you have used the internet for any period of time, you probably made use of something that had his fingerprints all over it. RSS, Reddit, web.py, Jottit, and MarkDown all helped net him a sizable amount of cash, which he then used to fund Demand Progress (a progressive political advocacy group that used IT extensively to coordinate its actions), RECAP, a free alternative to PACER (PACER chages access to read ruling on Aerican law. They charge for access and a fee for each time you pull something. He purchased access from PACER to download ~20% of their database of rulings and uploaded them to RECAP so citizens could access case law for free), and did the same with JSTOR, downloading 4 million academic articles and releasing them for free on P2P networks. Both saw government investigation, the JSTOR case led to a wildly over the top prosecution. Here are his own words on his outlook, actions, and how he got where he was https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget

Lots of people like to complain about how the world is. Swartz made plans at took action. At the age of 26 he accomplished more for change than most will in their entire lives. Unfortunately in the end his internal demons caught up with him.

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

RIP Aaron Swartz

RIP Aaron Swartz, your post reminded me of a comment that popped up on Facebook today, in reply to this

quote:

Back when we had solidarity, they had to hang people. Now - disunited - people commit suicide.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Mock protest against the prosecution of austrian politician Ernst Strasser charged with corruption. The former EU parliamentarian was caught on tape suggesting a bribe of 100,000 Euro for influencing EU legislation.

According to him, he was chasing spies and this was all deep undercover work. (hence the mousetrap and the agent)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/10545752

http://derstandard.at/1356427635138/Strassers-Geheimagenten-in-der-Wohlstands-Falle

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Wolfsbane posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake Deep Silver. How could you not have learned your lesson when people found this poo poo in the source code:

So sick of the juvenile manchildren who fill this industry.

They probably learned their lesson, namely that a little misogyny equals a shitload of free press.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

hairysammoth posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong - he describes a compelling narrative, and his overall argument is coherent and entirely possible. It's just that, in Machines particularly, when you listen to a lot of the the actual details of his complex causal chains, you're left with not much more than Curtis' own assertions. Having been a full-tilt Curtis fan since The Century of the Self, and loving the idea behind Machines, I ended up coming out of it rather underwhelmed and unconvinced, and I couldn't exactly put my finger on why. This review probably puts it better than I can - but essentially, when you're making long-chain cause-and-effect claims like Curtis, you eventually need some pretty convincing primary sources to drive your case home. As The Loving Trap puts it:

"He had discovered that it did not matter what footage he used, so long as he changed the shots so bewilderingly fast that the audience didn't notice the chasm between the argument and conclusion. This was especially effective when he simply cut the music, mid-bar.

And as a result, Thabo Mbeki was swept to power at the next general election."

Curtis tells a disturbing, compelling story, and he tells it beautifully, but after Machines (unlike, say, Nightmares) I came out of it feeling that's all I'd heard - a story, not a documentary.

I agree whole-heartedly. Curtis' docs benefit from his MTV-style editing, but underneath the anecdotes and assumptions there's little to take away from. I especially dislike the way he takes a a particular detail - e.g. the smell of the Sheik's rose fragrance in the british clubs or the white Rolls Royce of the businessman (both from the Mayfair Set) - and tries to turn it into this sort of revelatory symbol, some sort of crystalline property that's supposed to reflect the idiosyncrasy of the subject matter at hand. Why? Why is this relevant?

If he would label stuff like that as the poetry it ultimately is, ok. But getting it mixed up with cultural theory and socio-political assertions - no thanks.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I've heard that people wearing a helmet take greater risks, thereby mitigating the safety advantage. I tried googling the source for this, but apparently it is a myth. What I did find though is a paper looking at the success of bicycling in Netherland, Denmark, and Germany.

http://www.engr.scu.edu/~emaurer/bike/docs/PUCHERMakingCyclingIrresistibleJune2008.pdf

quote:

Conclusions: Policies to Make Cycling Irresistible

The most important approach to making cycling safe and convenient in Dutch,
Danish and German cities is the provision of separate cycling facilities along
heavily travelled roads and at intersections, combined with extensive traffic calm-ing of residential neighbourhoods. Safe and relatively stress-free cycling routes are especially important for children, the elderly, women and for anyone with special needs due to any sort of disability. Providing such separate facilities to connect practical, utilitarian origins and destinations also promotes cycling for work, school and shopping trips, as opposed to the mainly recreational cycling in the USA, where most separate cycling facilities are along urban parks, rivers and lakes or in rural areas.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/TV2bQxe.jpg:nws:

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 26, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Talking about bicycles and fatalities, I always found the following news story like a bad joke

quote:

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — A Green Party candidate running for U.S. Senate in Maryland has died after being hit by an SUV while riding her bike.

Maryland State Police say 30-year-old Natasha Pettigrew died early Tuesday. She was hit by an SUV in Prince George's County early Sunday.

Police say the woman driving the Cadillac Escalade that hit Pettigrew kept driving nearly four miles to her home, even though the bicycle was still lodged underneath the vehicle.

Police say the woman thought she hit a deer or a dog and didn't want to stop in the early morning hours. When she and her husband found the bicycle under the SUV, they called police.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/21/natasha-pettigrew-green-p_n_733533.html

Green party candidate, bicycle, SUV, dead. In german we'd call something like this "Realsatire" - basically when reality reaches some meta-level and manages to make fun of itself.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

More stuff in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=615404&fpart=5

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

And here I thought Zippy was the pinnacle of gaga. Thanks so much for this. I even know some of Kamagurka's stuff, but never heard of this (shame).

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

South Bronx, 1980s

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Kinda interesting AMA with an afghan woman that lived through the soviet occupation. Still going on, I believe.

quote:

I don't know about people in general but I can give you two perspectives, my father's and my uncle's.

My Father worked for the ministry and was educated in Germany. So basically his take was: "This happens all the time, we'll just go to my mother's house in Ghor and sit it out... "

In a way, he was right but he didn't take into account that the Soviets/USA would eventually get involved. There was a coup every generation since my great grandfather's time, all people ever did was go to the countryside.

My father represents the vast majority of people. There wasn't any further intellectual analysis of what was going on, they just wanted to be safe and only thought of ways they could guarantee their family's well being.

My uncle was educated in communist Czechoslovakia, he was part of the growing middle class. Our family had worked for the monarchy in some capacity or another for generations. We'd been both exploited by the Monarchy and in turn benefited from other people's exploitation, namely the re-allocation of land from people the monarchy disfavored.

He was the primary person who would go between our family in Kabul and our lands in the south and would speak to the 'dakon' the farmers who worked our lands. He knew better than the rest of our family how truly poor people outside of Kabul were.

His take was basically the same of anyone who wanted and felt justified in wanting immediate change. He was hell bent on going out and fighting during the Saur revolution... finally he could help bring equality to the people so used by the "Khan's" for generations.

His view and his educational background represents almost all the people that participated in the Revolution. In a way, the revolutionists were our very best, the young, the idealists, the ones that were educated, the ones who saw the inequality of Afghanistan and tried to do something about it, but in such a very wrong way.

Both were wrong about the Revolution though, whatever hope there was at the time dissolved when the Soviets and then the US got involved. It became so much bigger and more horrible than anyone had anticipated. The people who left to go to the countryside were not safe from Soviet aircraft, the revolutionists did not anticipate taking on the very people they thought to liberate.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/17yvu7/i_am_an_afghan_woman_who_lived_through_the_soviet/

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Apotheosis posted:

How do you get to be a Marxist geographer?

Maybe like this?

quote:

In 2002, participants in the Long March Project began a “Walking Visual Display” along the route of China’s historic, six-thousand-mile Long March (1934-6). As the team undertook the arduous journey, Beijing-based artist Qin kept in close contact with them and tracked the group’s route, with needle and ink, on a tattooed map on his back. Three years later, Qin continued the trek where the original marchers had left off. He was accompanied by three cameramen, who recorded their movements over unremittingly demanding terrain—from snow-covered Himalayan peaks to swamp grasslands—and a tattoo artist, who continually updated the groups progress on Qin’s back.

http://www.artlink.com.au/articles.cfm?id=2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

That's pretty honest. I unironically like it. It's like a clumsy and more naive Hopper.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

System Metternich posted:

Lightning hits St. Peter's the day Pope Benedict resigns.

Does this mean god is happy, or not? :confused:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Iridium posted:

Also, audio from the police scanner.

"We're going to go ahead with the plan, go ahead with the burn"

"7 Burners deployed and we have a fire"

From the corresponding Guardian-article, for what it's worth:

Guardian posted:

3.50pm GMT update: The word "burner" may come from "BurnSafe" containers for CS gas canisters, made by the Covina-Thomas Company in Covina, California. On its website the company lists among its recent customers the LAPD, although not the San Bernardo County sheriff's office. More details soon.

Pictured: Waco, where the fire was supposedly started by CS canisters as well.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TheMammoth posted:

This was saved as "1000th of critical mass." Any guesses as to which bomb?

Apologies for lack of certainty, this thread prompted me to go looking through a folder of pictures I saved from here between 4-8 years ago.

I got curious so I simply used TinEye, which led me to this

quote:

Nuclear explosion photographed less than one millisecond after detonation. From the Tumbler-Snapper test series in Nevada, 1952, showing fireball and "rope trick" effects. The fireball is about 20 meters in diameter in this shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_trick_effect

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Kate is so cute.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Italy is about to vote in the general election come sunday the 25th february. Will Silvio make a triumphant return? Is Europe ready for more Bunga Bunga? I should probably read the Europe thread, because I really don't know.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Because someone posted that nazi-SS cafe in Antwerp a couple pages back, a similar news item from Hungary: Starting in May, you will be able to display swastika, SS-insignia, or the red star in public again, lifting a ban that was instituted after the fall of the iron curtain in 1989. I mentioned the "red star" because the ban concerned "symbols of tyranny". Apparently a communist politician fought for his right to display it, and the hungarian court decided that nazism and communism is all the same bullshit anyways, so here you go.

The extreme right wing is already pretty strong in Hungary, so this makes me puke in my mouth.

http://blogs.wsj.com/emergingeurope/2013/02/20/hungary-court-annuls-ban-on-fascist-communist-symbols/?mod=emergingeurope

Have some guys from the Jobbik party

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 21, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

boom boom boom posted:

The final boss of Metal Gear Rising is John Galt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rep9nVnYPSE#t=3m23s

Haha, this is the best.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
If I remember one thing from my trip to South America, it's that everyone thinks the neighbouring country is full of unfriendly shitheads that will mug you.

Also that bus:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Forgall posted:

Sure is.

So it's basically a dutch version of Guess who's coming to Dinner?

Speaking of dutch cinema, I thought Flodders was cool and that "Amsterdam Terror from the Deep"-one as well.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Meanwhile his wife, Carla Bruni, released a new song last week that's seen as a jibe at Hollande.

quote:

The lyrics of "The Penguin" were released Friday and immediately interpreted as an attack on the man who succeeded her husband, Nicolas Sarkozy, as France's leader.

The former supermodel sings: "He takes on the airs of a king/but I know, the penguin/doesn't have the manners of a lord.

"Hey penguin!/If one day you cross my path again/I will teach you, penguin/I will teach you to kiss my hand."

Fight the power, Carla.

http://www.france24.com/en/20130315-carla-bruni-calls-french-president-hollande-penguin-song-sarkozy

Also there's a french version of Huffpo what

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

R. Mute posted:

Strange that Al Jazeera didn't make the link themselves

e: and if you were talking about leaving bloody corpses in general, yeah, all the cartels have a knack for it.

In Colombia during the Violencia-era, leaving corpses in specific poses was elevated to an artform. There were entire sceneries - a journalist called them "tableau mortes" - composed of bodies and parts arranged in a certain fashion. Some of it was code, some of it just nihilist-dadaist installations. It's one of the things that still haunt me from reading "More Terrible Than Death", a look at the 20th century history of Colombia by a human rights activist.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Can the goon who made the "Newt" T-shirt repost a link to his/her online-shop? Think I need to finally buy it so I can be hip for spring.

Recently read an article about polyandry among the Mosu tribe in China. Interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoTrARDa8BU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TheMammoth posted:

I used to commute to work on the train, now I drive and have been listening to NPR a lot more (if only because the Chicago area absolutely loving sucks in terms of radio station selection compared to northern CA or similar), and I have learned to loath the typical purple prose which almost necessarily introduces any NPR member station story.

"More than half of the letters in the adjacent gas station's neon sign are dark now. Beneath them, through the glass of the shop's front window, an elderly man in a blue baseball cap purchases his daily lottery tickets from the young Hispanic girl behind the counter. She smiles and laughs easily. Though it is almost evening here, many of the cars which pass us make their way down this narrow downtown street without the use of their headlights, as though they hesitate to see where they are really going. A small woman of middle-age, her head and body tightly wrapped against the late summer chill, approaches me to ask for the time. Yet, I realize, she isn't asking me for the time so much as she just wants to speak."

This could conceivably serve as the introduction to almost any NPR piece on any subject. To me, it all sounds like a lot of self-impressed former English majors who think everything they write is some incredible portraiture of true America.

It's not just NPR, this is true about journalism everywhere. As budgets get slashed, you end up with a workforce that doesn't necessarily excel at what they do, but is able to do it because they get finanical support from their family and/or partner.
This gets you features about foreign countries that amount to "Woah China is whack, people don't have electricity here I just ate a dog!". VICE and Huffpo just made lemon juice and elevated this to an artform.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"In his ceramic works Ai engages with issues such as the loss of historic material culture due to rapid modernization as well as broader themes including perceptions of value, mass production, globalization and the concepts of 'real' and 'fake'."

No poo poo. I usually like Ai Weiwei, but that vase is some entry-level art-school 2deep4you bullshit. Tacky and banal. Come on you can do better.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Maarak posted:

You should see Spring Breakers ASAP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7Se-sCwYM

Haven't seen it, but definitely like that she used Ex-Disney-actresses for a hyper-sexualized crime drama.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Beats Mushrooms posted:

Harmony Korine's a dude.

Ah. He wrote "Kids" and directed "Gummo". Ok, now I can see where this is going.

:NSFW: http://i.imgur.com/X7bPXF7.jpg

(edit: goddamn can't find the code for that nsfw icon)

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 5, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There is a famous Truffaut statement about there being no such thing as an anti-war film.

He's right because no studio wants to produce such a thing.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Truffauts comment was more about the limitations and posibilites of film. It's hard to make a horrible story compelling without generating some level of excitement for what's happening on-screen. How can you show the horrors of war without getting the adrenalin pumping? If you don't get the adrenalin pumping, is there not a risk of the viewer losing emotional attachment? And so on.

There was an interesting interview with Wes Craven about "Last House on the Left" (not the remake), where he said he tried to make a film about violence that doesn't glorify it. When it first aired, some audiences got so upset they burned the film reel. He managed to confront people with violence and they hated him for it, so I think he succeded.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Could you provide some context? Otherwise its just snuff/torture porn.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Bohemian Nights posted:

DMZ is alright, but real journalistic comic books that should be mandatory reading are Joe Sacco's Palestine, Safe Area Gora˛de and The Fixer, the two latter ones covering the Bosnian war.

Sacco is cool, "Shenzen" by Guy Delisle is also worth a look.

"How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less" (Sarah Glidden) makes for a nice primer on Israel.

Also Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, journalistic comics have been on the rise for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Holy crap Putin looks like some Botox/plastic surgery trainwreck.

http://oldsite.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/ecook/courses/eng114em/surgeries.htm

• Locked thread