Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhandhali posted:

Dad is doing the right thing.

Helmet laws decrease ridership and make biking less safe. They make cycling less convenient and therefore less attractive. That means there are more cars and fewer cyclists who are now in greater danger than they would have been otherwise. Drivers are also more cautious around unhelmeted cyclists than they are around helmeted ones. City cycle programs are murdered in their infancy by helmet laws.

You misread that Cracked article.

FORCED Helmet Wearing Laws are the cause of fewer cyclists. For the individual, wearing a helmet is the safe thing to do.

Still better odds on not getting a head injury with than without a helmet. But if you think you're safer without a helmet feel free to risk it.

and the number is bigger than "12 per year"

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/bikeinjuries.html
http://trafficsafety.org/safety/sharing/bike/bike-facts/bike-injuries-fatalities

quote:

In 2006, more than 44,000 bicyclists in the U.S. were injured in traffic crashes and 773 bicyclists died as a result of bicycle-related injuries.

However, only a small fraction, possibly as low as 10% of crashes causing injury are ever recorded by the police.

Ninety-five percent of the bicyclists killed in 2006 reportedly weren’t wearing helmets.

Deaths among bicyclists younger than 16 have gone down by 84% since 1975, while deaths among bicyclists 16 and older have more than doubled.

As you can see here bicycle helmet laws for those under 16 were introduced around the '70s.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Imagine a world without hate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sometimes it's wise to not stray from the herd.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

“Mr. President, when it rains it pours, but most Americans hold their own umbrellas."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

This one shakes things up by putting the extremes on the other ends.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"My father says you can spy on my computer."
"He's not your father."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

withak posted:

What athiests mean to say isn't that they are certain that there is no god, just that there is no evidence to suggest that she exists.

You're thinking of Agnostics.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Exclamation Marx posted:

R U Serious? Pro-Abortion Supporters Chant Hail Satan while Pro Lifers Sing Amazing Grace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Fx3vJNY6E

(Like, 5 people)

There are people who are Pro-Abortion?

Pro-choice makes sense to me, but I didn't think there would be anyone who refers to their views as "Pro-Abortion"

This sign can easily be used for either side of the debate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What does A-T-L stand for?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can you link that poo poo rather than putting it in spoiler tags? The App doesn't let images be spoilered.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Thanks, Facebook!

Thoughtfully shared by my mom from The 2nd Amendment facebook group.

Be sure to share with her this "Quick History Lesson":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

The Republicans and Democrats of those times are not the same today by any stretch of the imagination.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Taking into consideration that over 50% of the U.S population supports gay marriage and only 3.8% of the population identifies as gay, claiming that those who support gay marriage must themselves be gay doesn't exactly add up. These facts don't seem to stop Republicans all over the internet from accusing Barack Obama, the first U.S president to openly support marriage equality, of being gay based on his. Mark Kirk, a Republican Senator who endorsed gay marriage this year, also had his sexuality called into question.
Source: 3 Signs You're Gay, According to Republicans

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 7, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

How did they read that Onion article, completely miss the point, and then somehow blame Obama?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HPnW4EBed4&t=233s
3:53 to 4:34

A young Karl Rove about having the GOP appeal to young people.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 28, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bohemian Nights posted:

Since my last post was a map of the american nations TODAY, how about a map of THE FUTURE, AKA roughly four years from now.

Black: State of Federal Loyalists (A totalitarian regiem in which one bad man who succeeded Obama established Obama's dream of absolote power over the land and claims whatever he neads despite what it will cost the people. Christians, Mormons, and Jews are looked at as terrorists, any one who is poor ends up in a work camp where they live off of scraps)

Good god. :tinfoil::fh:

I love the crazies who think America will split in such ludicrous fashions.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Neat. I didn't read the book, but I did read the wikipedia article. :coal:

edit: bonus cover

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 17, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Pope Francis recently made a speech condemning unrestricted capitalism as "tyranny" and called for an ethical economic system. Here's an article.

I am in love with this man... and he's probably a-ok with that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

My religious freedom to suppress your sexual orientation! :bahgawd:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lemon Head posted:

Apparently my school newspaper is run by libertarians. :suicide:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

From SMBC

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

A lot of those are depressing.

Is that why you argue against evolution? Because you can't cope with there possibly not being salvation?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That's got to be some silly St. Patricks day gag. The Irish aren't this ridiculous, are they?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Neo Rasa posted:

I guarantee you that you will love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3524tTVAcY

The full interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWbPpFZ31s

Also even as someone who was raised super traditional Catholic, the woman is literally on crack in all ways because this guy's reading of Jesus' life and motivations is what I was taught even as a kid. It's awesome to see it all gathered in one place. And honestly it did sell me on the book so the interview wasn't a total waste. :3:

I've seen it, thanks. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

unrelated:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 1, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheIllestVillain posted:

Sounds like something we'd do

Grocery stores are racist. :tinfoil:

Not pictured: Frijoles Negroes and Redskin Peanuts

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078BGtKNL1o

Obama calling Kanye a Jackass.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Volcott posted:

Prolonging a war to further your political career is wrong. Desecrating a gravesite is also wrong. One is obviously worse.

Which makes the other one a-okay! :downs:

You want to hate the guy and mock him? Fine. You want to piss on anyone's gravestone? You're a piece of poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 27, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sakarja posted:

Wow, people here really love Joe Biden. But I don't understand what's passive aggressive or cowardly about calling attention to the fact that he supported and enabled one of the biggest, most heinous crimes against humanity of the 21st century so far. That has nothing to do with being an anarchist or a liberal. Condemnation of the invasion of Iraq, and of the cowards who supported it only to protect their careers, should be universal and unanimous.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sakarja posted:

I don't want to worsen this derail, so I'll make one final post

"I want to have the last word."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 5, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, because in a thread that's mostly hundreds of pages of people writing few sentences about a person and then appending it with the first photo from their Wiki article, this specific post was the watershed moment when it became too much.

Still better than that anime poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Afraid of Audio posted:

He's drawn like that because this is Humon's (the artist) "clever" way of displaying America's diversity.

Huh. I wonder if this guy draws other political images.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/gMf69kU.jpg :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/bRNxcin.jpg :nws:

Huh. Okay.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survey in France: "Who do you think most contributed to the defeat of Germany in 1945?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:effort:

edit: I didn't proofread either. There's that :effort: again.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread