Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Earlier on I was reading about the wikipedia drama surrounding the page for Londonderry/Derry. I found it kind of interesting that wikipedia refer to the city as Derry instead of its official name of Londonderry because as an encyclopaedia I feel that they should be striving to be factual instead of appeasing a certain side.

(Pic is of someone from the bomb squad approaching a suspect vehicle during the troubles, not sure what town)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

massey ferguson fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

No matter how awful Israel is, Rachel Corrie was a dolt and we are all richer for her being run over.

You are a piece of poo poo.

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

I'll admit to not knowing much about religion but isn't Allah just the word for God in arabic? As in the same God christians worship? Please correct me if I'm wrong like I say I have only basic knowledge of religions.

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Daktar posted:

Wow, gently caress you, buddy. I'm probably the least knowledgeable person in the world about trans* issues and even I know that gender dysphoria isn't something you just cure with therapy. I suppose you believe in gay conversion treatments, too

there are trans and then there are trans who wont shut the gently caress up about it, some of whom could really benefit from therapy. I'm not saying this to be snarky, I went through therapy myself for depression and drug addiction and it was the best thing i ever done

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

TinTower posted:

Careful. You're veering close to "feminists would get more victories if they weren't so strident" territory. (I was at a talk a few months ago which touched upon stuff like this while discussing New Atheism's conscious parallels with feminism)
This is the last post I'll make about this cos i hate these lovely derails, but do you honestly think that some people with body dysmorphia wouldn't benefit from therapy to make themselves feel more comfortable with their own bodies? Changing your sex if you chose to do so will be the biggest decision in your life (not to mention the most irreversible one) so why not explore every avenue available before making the decision.
And yes this means i believe in Gay conversion therapy psuedoscience well done to that poster :rolleyes:

edit:

quote:

In America you need three months therapy before you can be prescribed hormones, so most trans people not only go to therapy but are medically required to if they want to have an endocrinologist prescribe them medication instead of using street hormones. Of course there's a socio-economic aspect where trans people without insurance cannot get this, and the fact that the endocrinologist (unless sympathetic enough to diagnose a general hormone imbalance) isn't covered by insurance even if they have it. But those people would likely go to therapy if they had the ability.

I'm not american so maybe thats why I have a different viewpoint

massey ferguson fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 26, 2012

• Locked thread