Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Windsor isn't even a big enough deal to be on that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't that the old Post Office? Back then the owner would have already been the government. :psyduck:

No, it's not the post office, it's

which famously used to have its own zip code.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Fragrag posted:

These two images have some wonderful synergy somehow.

Here are some Danish neighborhoods.

Apparently the idea was to not cut off green areas from each other, but to allow wildlife to move about relatively freely. Unfortunately, if you look at this area in Google Maps, it doesn't really look enticing to live in as those cul-de-sacs are considerably smaller than American ones.

I think it is nice. The yards aren't a bad size for European homes, and I love that there are so many homes in one cul-de-sac. The pick-up kickball games and bbqs would be amazing (without blocking as much traffic on as in a classic urban grid neighborhood block party). It would really encourage interaction with all the neighbors in the circle. I'd love to grow up in a place like that. Small homes are more energy efficient anyway. Besides, it looks like crop circles and I love crop circles:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Zeroisanumber posted:

With good reason. Leave unpasteurized dairy sitting around for more than a couple of days and you're begging for food poisoning.

Here's some excerpts from a letter written by an epidemiologist who also happens to be a family friend going into specific reasons why pasteurization = good for public:

quote:

The 2012 Iowa legislature is again considering legislation to permit sales of raw milk on the farm directly to consumers or for targeted home delivery by producers without any regulation or oversight. This is really a bad idea and will eventually result in milk-borne illness – sometimes with serious complications. The Food and Drug Administration, which has oversight of interstate commerce, wisely does not permit sales and distribution of unpasteurized milk and neither should the State of Iowa.

The Centers for Disease Control web site (http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-videos.html ) warns against consumption of raw milk, particularly emphasizing the hazards to vulnerable populations, especially young children. There is another web site (http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/) where videos are provided in which families tell of their agony after feeding raw milk to a loved one believing it would help them and then finding that the loved one lost kidney function or was paralyzed with Guillain-Barre disease. Everyone who votes on the pending legislation should be required to review these two web sites first.

Foods are now labeled with hazard messages regarding the potential to contain traces of allergens such as peanuts or gluten. If this legislation is passed, we recommend similar “truth in labeling” be required as follows:

"Caution, this product could contain traces of bacteria such as:
• E. coli strains that can destroy children's kidneys and sometimes kill them,
• Campylobacter that causes bloody diarrhea and sometimes paralysis or joint afflictions,
• Listeria that causes meningitis that is often fatal to the elderly and causes abortions in pregnant women.
Consume at your own risk.”

[...]

• Until recently, E. coli O157 and Campylobacter were probably present but were as yet unknown to science. Even now, their detection in human illness is uneven, making detected cases the “tip of the iceberg”.
• Women who suffered abortions were probably not aware that they had a Listeria infection which caused it.
• Cryptosporidium was not widely recognized as a cause of human disease until the 1980’s and is still unevenly detected even when it is present causing diarrhea of prolonged duration.

Well-intended people who extol the virtues of raw milk because they have not had recognized illnesses themselves have been responsible for many severe illnesses among those whose immune systems had not experienced such infections.

Thank to judicious decisions by our legislatures, Iowa remains one of the states that do not allow any sales of raw milk, in any form, and under any circumstance. Witness Pennsylvania where as we write some 60 people have been sickened by consumption of raw milk. The status quo as such should be maintained as being in the best interest of the public’s health as well as the economy.

On a related note:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Wow, what happened in 1835?

The Great Awakening

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Earth posted:

Double post... Dammit.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't see the conflict in their theses. Yes, the native Americans were doing more complex things than traditional historiography gives them credit for. They also got rolled by extremely aggressive societies with a massive advantage in wealth and population, plus huge epidemics, for reasons that no one at the time had much control over.

To quibble, what I got out of 1491 is that the white imperialists weren't necessarily more aggressive, weren't necessarily richer, and one of the main points is that they didn't have a population advantage, before 1491. It was pretty much only disease that moved faster than the expansion of the colonialists by decades. Geographical determinism didn't affect any of the other things, except there's evidence that Native immune systems were slightly more geared to fighting parasites than fighting novel diseases.

Here's a passenger pigeon. Before disease crippled the populations of the first peoples, the passenger pigeon didn't exist in large clouds that could block out the sun. In fact, it was kind of rare.

That was my reading of 1491, but if I'm off someone please chime in.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

JiUC posted:

also, this might be a longshot (I don't know anything about photoshop and how labor intensive it is), but would anyone be able to edit this so that the preposition isn't at the end, i.e. in whose shade they know they shall never sit?

edit: vvv I realize it's not technically incorrect but you actually think it sounds better this way :confused: "much" better even? That's truly bizarre

"...whose shade in which they shall never sit."

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

darthbob88 posted:

It's also got some serious controversy surrounding it; for one thing, building an enormous statue of somebody who never let himself be photographed is kinda difficult, but a bigger problem is the whole "carving a living mountain on sacred land to honor the person and tribe whose lands you're defacing" aspect of the operation.

quote:

Having the finished sculpture depict Crazy Horse pointing with his index finger has also been criticized. Native American cultures prohibit using the index finger to point at people or objects, as the people find it rude and taboo. Some spokesmen compare the effect to a sculpture of George Washington with an upraised middle finger.[12]

I think a middle finger could only be an improvement on what they did to Mt Rushmore.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
"paddy-wagon" is anti-Irish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEB-OoUrNuk

• Locked thread