Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

It's Bingley!

After losing Gus at the beginning of May to CRF, his companion Archie took it hard. After a couple of weeks, he started to overgroom. So I took him to the vet to be checked out and physically he is fine. Bloodwork clean etc. He was just lonely and sad after suddenly becoming a single cat after 14 years. My vet actually "prescribed" a kitten for him. I decided I didn't have time to deal with the assholeness of a kitten and would get an adult cat instead.
This is Archie.

So I started visiting the Humane Society as they are overflowing with cats. Adults cats are "name your own price" right now. Oh my god, so many to choose from and yet nobody felt right. Then last week I saw this guy. He came right up to the front of the cage and meowed at me. Then he started rubbing against the bars. That's when I noticed he was missing something...... his left rear leg.

I have always believed that the cat picks you. And boy, did he ever. I couldn't stop thinking about this little black kitty with the one white whisker. And I was pretty certain that he would get passed over when people were looking to adopt. So on Friday I went back and adopted the little guy. He is really sweet. And loud. He's a talker. They said he's an Oriental Shorthair but whatever. He was turned into the shelter as a stray (no collar or microchip) with the leg badly fractured. The vets at the shelter decided after a week that the leg needed to be amputated. It was just too damaged to save. Nobody knows how he was injured. He had his surgery on June 18th. He is amazingly fine. He is as mobile as any other cat. I'm stunned by how easily he has adapted. Jump on my drafting desk from the floor? Easy. Take the stairs at full speed? Absolutely. God, I love him so much already. He's about a year old and only 6.25 lbs. But he did put on 1.25 while at the shelter so that was good. I think he'll just be on the small side.

He and Archie are doing okay too. There has only been some hissing and growling which was to be expected. But the body language is pretty relaxed from both of them. There hasn't been a single fight. I kept them separated the first day then supervised interaction and separated at night. Now they're both free to roam the house and all is good. I think Archie doesn't quite get Bingley. But there has been tentative sniffing of tails without any problems. They can get within a foot or two of each other before getting noisy. I think they'll be okay. I've already noticed that Archie isn't licking himself as much before so success!

Okay okay, I know what you guys really want. Pics ahead!

JimmydaFish fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Awww, what a good cat. I hope that Archie and him eventually start making cat piles. It might never happen, but it does seem the extra enrichment and company is good for Archie either way. Bingley is super cute!

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
What a beautiful cat he is, too. :)
And lookit those huge paws! I wonder if he has a little growing left to do?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
One day and they're already getting that close to each other? They'll be the best of friends inside two weeks.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
He's very handsome :3: I adore the one white whisker. Bingley is a fantastic cat name!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Bogwoppit posted:

What a beautiful cat he is, too. :)
And lookit those huge paws! I wonder if he has a little growing left to do?

Maybe a little growing, he's pretty long and lean right now.

Shebrew posted:

He's very handsome :3: I adore the one white whisker. Bingley is a fantastic cat name!

Thanks! The whisker just looks like someone took it from another cat and stuck it on his face. It's thicker and longer than the black ones.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I totally guessed it was a Bingley. So do I get archives or something for answering your riddle, OP? In all seriousness, he's mondo-cute and it's awesome that you gave him a home.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Aw wow that is a cute cat. Yeah, being 3 legged is really not a problem for cats for whatever reason, when my wife worked at a cat only vet they saw a lot of 'em. Good on you for respecting the cat's wishes and taking him home :3:

I am also a firm believer in cats picking people, our 3 have picked us and been awesome.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

That is one handsome cat-face.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
There are only two pictures where I could even tell he was missing a leg. Otherwise he just looks like another four legged cat to me. Since you said he's already "jumping on your drafting desk from the floor and taking the stairs at full speed", are you going to worry about a prosthetic, or just have him be as is? From the sound of it, would he even need one, or would just be aggravation for both you and him?

Also, cute cat :3:.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^ I hadn't even thought about a prosthetic for him. He gets along so well that I don't think he would need one.

When I got home from work, they both came running to greet me. :3: I just melted. And then they actually touched noses! :3: :3: :3:

straylightunity
Dec 20, 2005

Scapegrace.
This was just what I needed, what an adorable cat! :3: I'm glad you took him home, and I bet Archie will be, too.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Tripod baby! All those other people were fools to pass him up.

I'm glad your cats are getting along, and that you sought an awesome solution to cheer your cat up and save the life of another. Well done all around!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I am already a Bingley fan, I loves me some tripod pets. That whisker is a riot too, so glad he already fits in so well!

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

Aww, what a doll! Thank you for giving Bingley a loving home.
I bet you have a hard time keeping up with him!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks everyone for the sweet words. He is so affectionate. Such a snuggler.
He was really intrigued by Da Bird this morning. He watched Archie play with it very intently. Then he tried to play too but couldn't quite figure it out. He was chasing it but had trouble with catching it. Now he's all tuckered out under the coffee table.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Awww. Glad to hear he's enjoying himself. :3:
One of my favourite feline friends was a three legged ginger cat (missing a front leg) named Bill Badger. He was very badly injured by a car when he was young (nearly 20 years ago), and survived to live to about 16! A total pudding.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Good news! He doesn't give a crap about fireworks or thunderstorms! So I only had to deal with Archie's neurosis last night. On the other hand, how does a 6.25lb cat take up soooo much of the bed? He slept with me last night and I swear he was sprawled over 3/4 of the bed. :argh:

I gave him some of D8's fine catnip yesterday. He went nuts. He is one of those cats that gets really wired and slightly agressive on the nip. I'll edit in some pics when I get my real internet back. (doing this on my phone)

added :catdrugs: pics

JimmydaFish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 5, 2012

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
My personal theory is that cats spend their free time doing complex mathematical equations to they can figure out the exact position and shape needed to take up 80% of the bed.

But they're so god drat cute who cares! I love his big gold eyes, so expressive!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Last night both cats were on the bed at the same time! Bingley reached out a paw towards Archie, who ignored him completely. I wish I had a camera at the time. They've also starting chasing each other, totally play body language which is reassuring. Progress!
I can't believe it's only been one week.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Women's Rights? posted:

My personal theory is that cats spend their free time doing complex mathematical equations to they can figure out the exact position and shape needed to take up 80% of the bed.

But they're so god drat cute who cares! I love his big gold eyes, so expressive!

My theory is that cats are secretly elastic, but only use that power to annoy their human by taking up as much or as little space necessary to achieve that goal. That's why small cats can seemingly take up an entire king sized bed, or large cats can fit in a tiny box that you just happen to need at that moment.

That's great that Archie and Bingley are starting to get along! It sounds like you'll have adorable kitty piles soon enough :3:

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

I like your theory Shebrew!

Videos of Bingley on cat drugs
http://youtu.be/jGKyheWxdkk
http://youtu.be/wzgYz4K8hoc

And one of him hopping around and making tiny meows (which are not at all his usual). Sorry it's sideways.
http://youtu.be/ATBVApUUb7U

Good lord, ignore my stupid voice in those videos.

adding some pictures

He just really wants to be friends with Archie. Archie is still a little suspicious. Archie looks so big compared to Bingley, I can't get used to that.

Bing is really brown in direct sunlight. So pretty.

Look into my eyes.......

JimmydaFish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 9, 2012

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!
I love your stumpy kitty. And your fully-legged kitty.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Aww I love them too. But I didn't love them at 4 am this morning when they held a cat steeplechase through my bedroom. My bed apparantly being the high jump. I'm soooo tired.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

JimmydaFish posted:

Aww I love them too. But I didn't love them at 4 am this morning when they held a cat steeplechase through my bedroom. My bed apparantly being the high jump. I'm soooo tired.

Tire 'em out during the day. Playing with them a little while before bedtime can really help.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I play with them both a lot before going to bed but they are alone for most of the day. They do have a billion toys to play with but who knows what goes on when I'm not home. I think last night was a combo of finally having the windows open again (yay, fresh air) plus Archie realizing he's got someone who wants to play too. Gus didn't really feel up to Archie's antics the last few months of his life. I'm just going to have to try to tire them out even more tonight.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

JimmydaFish posted:

who knows what goes on when I'm not home.

The human's not here, better rest up so we have boundless energy for when he is here.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^^ I think that is spot on. Well except for the he part, I'm a girl.
After playing with them both with Da Bird for about a half hour before bedtime the past two nights, I've been allowed to sleep until 5:45. Better than 4 am. And I wised up and took Bingley's collar with the evil jingle bell off. So even though they may be chasing each other, it's not as loud.

Here they are passing the catnip sock back and forth. Crappy cell phone pic but I didn't want to get up and disturb them.

Also sad news, his white whisker fell out last night. :( It needs to grow back soon. It gave him a certain panache.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

JimmydaFish posted:

Here they are passing the catnip sock back and forth. Crappy cell phone pic but I didn't want to get up and disturb them.

Those cats need more toys.

(My carpet looks like this too.)

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Sad part is that's only some of their toys. Between Pissmas and what I've bought, they have enough that I can rotate toys so they don't get bored. Wrapped around their little kitty fingers? Yep. :sigh:

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

JimmydaFish posted:

Sad part is that's only some of their toys. Between Pissmas and what I've bought, they have enough that I can rotate toys so they don't get bored. Wrapped around their little kitty fingers? Yep. :sigh:

Don't worry, this is the natural way of things. I too have an entire box of toys, with about 10-20 out at any given time. My favorite is when I put something away they're not done with and they go digging around in the Box of Fun. Or when I bring something out they haven't seen in months and suddenly its a New Toy.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

More toys also means not having to recover the ones that have disappeared under the sofa, tv cabinet, fridge etc. as often.

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!

JimmydaFish posted:

Also sad news, his white whisker fell out last night. :( It needs to grow back soon. It gave him a certain panache.

Whelp, I guess that's it. Take him back. :mad:

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Whelp, I guess that's it. Take him back. :mad:

Awww, how could I send this back?

Oops woke the little devil

And look at these two being all relaxed and eating together. :3:

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

A few more pics of the Bingster.
Kiss my paw.

Still had his white whisker.

Being the nosy neighbor, he loves watching the comings and goings of my neighborhood.

His fur is growing back slowly but surely on the stump. There's a lot of white fur coming in so I'm curious how it will look once it's all filled in.
He's also proving that he is a really social little guy. I've had various friends and family over and he is not shy at all. He'll play with them, get in their laps, talk to them. Even with little kids. That's kinda nice to see since neither Archie or Gus hung out with guests.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Ahh, those little coffee bean paw pads! :3:

He's looking more suave by the day. Go Bingley!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Got some video of Bingley playing with a couple of his favorite toys.
The first one is the laser bird. You touch the bird to make the light come on for about 15 seconds. Bingley figured the toy out after about a half hour. Now I have to make sure to put the bird where he can't get to it or he'll just play and chew on it forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4lXvTT9g-M

And here he is battling Da Bird. I didn't get some of his best moves but he has no fear of jumping and twisting in mid-air. Even though he does land with a thump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSEQHVOhtuI

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Holy poo poo laser bird! I need like five of those!

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

JimmydaFish posted:

And here he is battling Da Bird. I didn't get some of his best moves but he has no fear of jumping and twisting in mid-air. Even though he does land with a thump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSEQHVOhtuI

Wow! It just amazes me how mobile he is with only three legs! Watching him, I kept forgetting that he was a leg short he as so active!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Holy poo poo laser bird! I need like five of those!

I bought it off of fab.com a while ago. I'm just glad to have a cat who's interested/obsessed with it. Archie and Gus never gave a drat.

• Locked thread