Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

cat with hands posted:

Bikers just got crazy good, and scout bikes were worth taking even in 5th.

I haven't really looked at their changes, how did they get better? I want to field some bikes (or a biker list) in my vanilla list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cat with hands posted:

What kind of landraiders? It makes a huge difference. As you might have noticed any vehicle that wants to get close to the enemy kinda sucks now.

Also, are you mad? Bikers just got crazy good, and scout bikes were worth taking even in 5th.

I have a Crusader and a Redeemer. I mainly use scoutbikers as a fun unit in friendly games against new players really, I kitted them with the S6 AP4 rapidfire grenade launchers. Bikes only got so much better in the regard that their modified toughness counts for ID; which indeed makes attack bikes a lot better.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

FrickenMoron posted:

Bikes only got so much better in the regard that their modified toughness counts for ID; which indeed makes attack bikes a lot better.
Also FnP rolls for anything not S10, which is huge. Plus now you hit vehicles really easy in CC, meltabombs are great and it it's super easy to glance vehicles to death.

As the extra cherry on top you get HoW impact hits in cc without giving up your regular move like jumpers do.

If anyone still doesn't want their bikes I'm buying.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FrickenMoron posted:

I have a Crusader and a Redeemer.

I can see why you're worried about these, but I'm actually excited about my chaos LRs. They can now grab cover saves and fire both of their TL lascans on the move. I'll get a lot more out of them than just being assault taxis for my zerks.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

cat with hands posted:

Also FnP rolls for anything not S10, which is huge.

You could always give them Eternal Warrior

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

PeterWeller posted:

I can see why you're worried about these, but I'm actually excited about my chaos LRs. They can now grab cover saves and fire both of their TL lascans on the move. I'll get a lot more out of them than just being assault taxis for my zerks.

Yeah I always used them as assault taxis for my Terminators and other units and or just to generally supress infantry units/taking potshots at vehicles with the multimelta. The lascannon raiders never really fitted into my vision of how a BA army is run so I opted for the other kits.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Let's be real here. Can we be real for a sec? The Crusader is the only Land Raider.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

S.J. posted:

BBB was 3rd, BGB was 4th, BRB was 5th

It must have been a regional thing because I only ever heard and saw bgb for 5th.

The internet is full of hams saying this is the end of 40k, how allies will ruin everything, how flyers will be unstoppable, that all the army builds they use no longer work and all kinds of hand ringing and self flagellation.

I like how all the complaints about allies screwing with the fluff ignores the actual rules. The whole levels of allies and other stuff. Nope, someone bitching about nobs being transported in stormravens and other crap that you actually can't do.

I always find I fill up on troops before i start taking other stuff. For some reason just taking 1 hq and 2 troops makes me feel dirty. Even when its guard or something else that has cheap plentiful troops.

And no one answered my question about Gunslinger; is it a special rule or just a general rule about having 2 pistols? What ever it is, its a good indication that Cypher is coming back in some form. Hah, maybe he's the center piece of the new starter set.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Gunslinger is a general rule about 2 pistols. Cypher is 100% not in the starter, we know the contents. Now answer one of mine: I saw a list on ytth with 4 Vindicators, and that got me thinking. Do you guys think Vindicators could be good now???

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phyresis posted:

Let's be real here. Can we be real for a sec? The Crusader is the only Land Raider.

That was 5E. This is 6E.

Phyresis posted:

Do you guys think Vindicators could be good now???

Vindicators got better by virtue of demolisher cannons becoming awesome. I'm not sure I'd call them good, but I am excited about my pair having a much better chance of blasting vehicles.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Phyresis posted:

Gunslinger is a general rule about 2 pistols. Cypher is 100% not in the starter, we know the contents. Now answer one of mine: I saw a list on ytth with 4 Vindicators, and that got me thinking. Do you guys think Vindicators could be good now???

I saw it too, pretty scary list for 1430 points. 4 TLAC dreads, 4 vindicators, 2 psykers with good, interacting powers and 25 scoring marines. Also 3 dual MM Speeders.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Phyresis posted:

They got better, that's for sure. But any vehicle that needs to get within 24" to fire is going to get murdered by glances against 'crons and GK. And anything fast will be able to assault it and hit rear armor on 3+....

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

FrickenMoron posted:

I saw it too, pretty scary list for 1430 points. 4 TLAC dreads, 4 vindicators, 2 psykers with good, interacting powers and 25 scoring marines. Also 3 dual MM Speeders.

Stelek's list formatting has never been not terrible. That's the points cost for just the Space Marines PD. The SW AD costs 490 so the total is 1920 points, I actually have to cut a Land Speeder in order to play this list on Friday, which I will. Because I own it except for the Vindies and I can proxy them, and if I like the list I can just buy the cannon bit and turn 4 of my redundant Rhinos into these, which is just wins all around for everyone involved (not Pierre though)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Phyresis posted:

You can run 8 Vindicators (1 Fast) in 2000 points now, and nothing can assault from reserves.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So can my Dark Eldar Warriors shoot out of their raider before the raider moves flat out? This just seems like it would be too good to be true.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Minion of Cthulhu posted:

So can my Dark Eldar Warriors shoot out of their raider before the raider moves flat out? This just seems like it would be too good to be true.

models can't shoot out of transports that move flat out

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was wondering about if they shot before the raider went flat out.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

It says "if the vehicle moves Flat Out that turn" and I think they specify that turn so that you can't shoot and then decide to move flat out later. Or else it would say "if the vehicle had moved Flat Out."

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

"[Models] cannot fire if the vehicle moves Flat Out or uses Smoke Launcers that turn."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It would have been a perfect drive-by too :( thanks!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bhsman posted:

-Wayland Games – Another store with lots of discounts that is popular with European players.

Anyone who likes Wayland should have their genitals irradiated. It's a terrible, terrible store that nobody has any right buying from.

Is it worth including some links or info about carrying case options? There always seems to be a steady stream of questions on them.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Not sure if this has been asked or if I'm being blind but have the done away with MC's needing to be at least 50% obscured to gain a cover save? I know there's the 25% rule for cover from terrain, but the Intervening Models rule doesn't have a percentage, so by this logic a Tervigon will get a cover save from the Termagants in front of it?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Fuegan posted:

Not sure if this has been asked or if I'm being blind but have the done away with MC's needing to be at least 50% obscured to gain a cover save? I know there's the 25% rule for cover from terrain, but the Intervening Models rule doesn't have a percentage, so by this logic a Tervigon will get a cover save from the Termagants in front of it?

MC rules got compressed, which is nice, so there's nothing about them needing 50%. The 25% cover rule applies to all cover, not just terrain, if you check the shooting section.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Some friends are going to start anew or just start playing. I originally wanted to play SoBs but I read that they will be mail-order only, and metal figs cost a fair bit so I decided to go for my original love in the warhams universe, Tyranids.

I have not read the codex yet but is a Tervigon with 2 squads of Termagaunts with Devourer and Mysetic Spores a good start? From what I read that should be a solid combo even in larger games.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

milward posted:

Some friends are going to start anew or just start playing. I originally wanted to play SoBs but I read that they will be mail-order only, and metal figs cost a fair bit so I decided to go for my original love in the warhams universe, Tyranids.

I have not read the codex yet but is a Tervigon with 2 squads of Termagaunts with Devourer and Mysetic Spores a good start? From what I read that should be a solid combo even in larger games.

Mycetic Spores don't have an official model, and even if they did, I'd recommend against them at the moment until we figure out 6th a bit more. The first thing you need to get is a Hive Tyrant, two Tervigons, and a bunch of Termagants. Don't ever buy Warriors, Pyrovores, Lictors, Carnifexes, or Trygons. Maybe Trygons, but hold off on them until later.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 4, 2012

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Quick question about simple green: is it safe to use on resin models?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Mango Polo posted:

Quick question about simple green: is it safe to use on resin models?

Yeah I left a Forgeworld drop pod in simple green for like 6 months and it was fine. In fact, it works much better on resin than it ever has on plastic for me. I need to get something better for plastic, does LA's Totally Awesome work or does it melt it?

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Phyresis posted:

Yeah I left a Forgeworld drop pod in simple green for like 6 months and it was fine. In fact, it works much better on resin than it ever has on plastic for me. I need to get something better for plastic, does LA's Totally Awesome work or does it melt it?

I had some crisis suits in a bucket of it for a month, and they're fine. It's great stuff.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

cat with hands posted:

Also FnP rolls for anything not S10, which is huge. Plus now you hit vehicles really easy in CC, meltabombs are great and it it's super easy to glance vehicles to death.

As the extra cherry on top you get HoW impact hits in cc without giving up your regular move like jumpers do.

If anyone still doesn't want their bikes I'm buying.

Bikes don't get HoW.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
GW strikes again! I ordered 5 of the fancy tape measures as soon as they went up as i thought that they were limited. When i realised my error, i rang them up and they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I then replaced my order for just 1. Today, 6 arrive!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Saalkin posted:

Bikes don't get HoW.

They do. Page 45 of the rulebook.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Lungboy posted:

GW strikes again! I ordered 5 of the fancy tape measures as soon as they went up as i thought that they were limited. When i realised my error, i rang them up and they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I then replaced my order for just 1. Today, 6 arrive!

I assume you are a good person and you are going to return them, if not, send me one :)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

I agree with Phyresis recommendations, though one caveat might be that you should buy one or two Warriors seperately so you can model yourself Tyranid Primes for cheap and effective HQs for small games. Make Boneswords and Lashwhips out of Scything Talons and other bitz instead of buy the expensive kit they offer now (after something like three years of no official model). The new Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord kits are really great and a vast, vast improvement over the original kit.

I would strongly recommend picking up (depending on what point value you're shooting for) 3-6 Hive Guard and 2-3 Zoanthropes to act as your main anti-tank support. Genestealers to be used as either stock Genestealers or Yrmgarl Genestealers are good as well, but if you're fielding the Troop type get a Broodlord for psyker support. Also: as tempting as they might be, Tyrannofexes are generally still considered to be a trap. Unless you spend a million hours magnetizing your Tervigons so it can become one to try out I'd recommend just skipping them.

Phyresis posted:

I assume you are a good person and you are going to return them, if not, send me one :)
It is not our place to question when the Emperor blesses you but to accept it with humility. I'd totally be down to get one of those as well. I reeeally want to mount it on a shoulder pad with a cartoony spring and have it floating over my shoulder by three-four inches. It's stupid, but I love the idea.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 4, 2012

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Edit: Arg, double post. :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's a shame that the red eyepiece is the release mechanism for the tape, it would be awesome removing it and fitting it with one of the laser pointers they did a few years back.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Here's an oldie but goodie: Do Teleport Homers work with Gate of Infinity? This was never resolved. The argument for Locator Beacons affecting GoI is much stronger but we have no official ruling on this yet.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks for the tips. My first goal is 500 pts, and IŽll buy one box at the time and paint to avoid the bazillion unpainted figs I had with SM. I had upwards 2K pts and only a handful painted so I traded some and gave most to my brother to add to his DAs.

IŽll start with a box of gants and paints. IŽd ask for an army list but since I don't own the codex yet that might be bordering on :files:.

What is a good HQ at that level? I want a winged tyrant but I can wait if something else is better suited for a small force.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lungboy posted:

Is it worth including some links or info about carrying case options? There always seems to be a steady stream of questions on them.

KR Multicase for the cheap/nonbranded route, if that's your thing. I've only just started with 40K so I wasn't locked into Battle Foam or GW cases, and I like the KR stuff quite a bit. I have a collection of old D&D and Heavy Gear miniatures stretching way back, so with the 40K army rapidly expanding I plumped for 3 cases: one for 40K figures, one for 40K vehicles (pluck foam) and another for D&D & sci-fi models.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

I had some crisis suits in a bucket of it for a month, and they're fine. It's great stuff.

Phyresis posted:

Awesome, thanks. I've been painting my first marines (which is surprisingly hard to do right when my previous experience was tyranids + washes :downs:) and there's a lot of resin models I need to redo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Phyresis posted:

Here's an oldie but goodie: Do Teleport Homers work with Gate of Infinity? This was never resolved. The argument for Locator Beacons affecting GoI is much stronger but we have no official ruling on this yet.

Teleport Homers specifically mention that they only work for models in Terminator armor arriving from Deep Strike. Technically, if you use Gate of Infinity in Terminator are it would work since the models are arriving using the Deep Strike rules.

milward posted:

Thanks for the tips. My first goal is 500 pts, and IŽll buy one box at the time and paint to avoid the bazillion unpainted figs I had with SM. I had upwards 2K pts and only a handful painted so I traded some and gave most to my brother to add to his DAs.

IŽll start with a box of gants and paints. IŽd ask for an army list but since I don't own the codex yet that might be bordering on :files:.

What is a good HQ at that level? I want a winged tyrant but I can wait if something else is better suited for a small force.
Good HQs at 500pts are either a Tervigon (frustratingly tough to kill at 500pts--at least without Jaws of the World Wolf, which your friend might bring) or a Tyranid Prime (cheap and effective).

A solid basic list would look something like this:

HQ:
Tyranid Prime 100pts
++Bonesword and Lashwhip
++Deathspitter

Elite:
3x Hive Guard 150pts

Troops:
11x Termagant 55pts
Tervigon 195pts
++Adrenal Glands
++Catalyst