Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

kannonfodder posted:

My real guess is it's just a leftover from 5th, when the rulebook was quite red.(or maybe people calling it the BRB, which stood for Big Rule Book but was misinterpreted as Big Red Book by many.)

It's the former. In 4th it was the BGB (big green book).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Cataphract posted:

No, variable modifiers (+1 -2 etc) take effect before absolute modifiers. Pg2 of the rulebook.

Also, markerlight counters expire at the end of the Tau player's shooting phase, so they don't even exist when Overwatch shooting happens.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Phyresis posted:

A Wolf Guard Terminator is 33 points naked, but you can give him a power axe for his weapon so he hits at S5 AP2, Unwieldy. Do you think this might be better than paying 10 points for the power fist, like I usually do? I don't mean for every guy, but like, I could keep my CML guys cheaper and they would still hit ok. What do you think?

Definitely don't waste the points on making CML dudes good in combat. Power weapon is good enough, accept the points savings.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

Thanks. People kept on asking me about my Space Wolves, when I put them on the table. I figured it was time to crank up the Jawsome eleven.

I have about 12 Space Marine bikes and 3 attack bikes. What should I do with them? Ravenwing currently aren't so hot and the new scout/reserve rules put a damper on my all deepstrike Deathwing style of play

1) Put them in a box till the new Dark Angel codex.
2) Ork them up into Nob bikers.
3) Run them as Codex: Space Marine allies.

I also have 2 Land Raiders, keep them or hit them with hammers until they are battlewagons?

Ravenwing are fine currently. Run them in small squads with double melta and attack bike with multi-melta, and use them for killing tanks, just like you did in 5th.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Crayvex posted:

Crap like this is why I want to punch some players in the face. This is bullshit and you know it. Don't play like this. It's a sound tactic but of you want anyone to ever play you again don't do it.

Why? Do you object to people playing the game using the rules? Is there a checklist you use to make sure your opponents is using the rules you want and not the ones you don't want? I'd like to see it.

People complained about this rule in 4th, it was changed for 5th and people complained, and now they've changed it back and people still complain. Go loving figure.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

SRM posted:

I don't think I'd punch someone in the face over it but I think it's annoying and gamey as gently caress.

news flash, you are playing a game.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

humannature posted:

Of course, and the purpose of said game is to represent combat in the grim darkness that is the future and whatnot. I can see the fluff for this now:

"Brothers! Park your rhinos in front of the squad such that they can only see the one I want dead.."

And so it was that the rhinos were parked, much like the blinders on a horse, such that the mighty adeptus astartes could smite only those enemies which the Brother-Captain Hugeneck wanted dead at that moment.

I guess so!

So do you have a list of rules that are ok for your opponent to follow, and ones that are not okay even though they are in the rule book?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

twistedmentat posted:

Holy crap, I never noticed rapid fire is no longer a straight 12", but its now half of the weapons range. Fire warriors are awesome.

3 extra inches of range doesn't make them any less lovely than they are to be honest.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
It is a stretch to expect every player to agree on what rules they find to be acceptable and "intended" and which they do not. Heck, I would run into variances in interpretation between people from two towns 30 miles apart. The only reasonable and fundamental assumption we can make about a player whom we have never met before is that they play the game according to the same rules that we do.

The mere fact that I can sit here and read you saying

quote:

"If a tactic looks stupid, sounds conceptually stupid, makes no sense to the fluff of the game and makes no sense as a way that a battle would be conducted, then it's a sort of mechanic that I would try to describe as "unsporting".
and disagreeing with the entirety of your statement demonstrates that you cannot make the assumption that everyone feels the same way about the rules. If I as a player cannot depend upon another player to accept the official rules, and the interactions of those rules, in their entirety, then I really don't see how anyone can expect to have an amicable game without discussing every possible controversial rules beforehand, perhaps comparing checklists.

Treating all mechanics codified in the rulebook as valid is the only reasonable way of approaching the game, unless you play with the same small group of people all the time and have a house list of acceptable rules and rules interactions to which you all agree.

If you're playing 40K as a 'cooperative social game', I guess you can ignore what I said, too. Maybe that should be the key question approaching a new game with a stranger: is this going to be a contest, or a cooperative game?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

AgentF posted:

I've posted this before because I genuinely beleive it. It's simple to provide "advice" to read on the internet what the optimal units/lists/synergies are and then to state that everything else as being terrible poo poo run by bad players. Having even a minimum amount of analysis is surprisingly rare in this thread, which is a shame because I always thought of SA as having a better quality of discussion than say B&C or Warseer.

Basically, being Nephilm is easy to do but usually not constructive. If people are discussing <second best unit>, don't say "why aren't you fielding <best unit>, you bad?" but instead talk about the aspects that make it second best and the situations when it is useful anyway.

This kind of analysis tended to get glossed right over or argued with when I bothered to provide it, back in the olden days when I still posted much in this thread. I agree that reasons are useful, but reasons are also pretty easy to find if you go looking for them at all, and they tend to get repeated a lot too.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PeterWeller posted:

I think this thread is at its best when there's an argument about list advice. I don't mean the pedantic making GBS threads matches, but the honest to goodness, clash of competing hams philosophies arguments.

I agree. It's the pedantic making GBS threads matches that are tiresome.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Cassa posted:

https://www.3plusplus.net is currently down, but is pretty good, AbusePuppy in particular, his Tyranid stuff is great.

Seconding this, also the site is available at http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/ as I found out whilst Googling to see what happened to 3plusplus.net

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Crowleraptor posted:

Why is everyone going on about screamers... 1 attack and melta bombs. They don't seem good what am I missing

Those are the old screamers.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You're wrong and you example about gunlines was very poorly thought out.

OK guys this well thought out argument completely changed my mind about how stupid and boring the change to outflank was. I'll be over here, enjoying a beer and trying to think more slowly in order to enjoy the variety of tactics afforded me by completely losing the ability to threaten my opponent with unknowns and affect his deployment patterns.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PeterWeller posted:

Well that's a little much. Even with the nerf, your opponent still has to relegate resources to dealing with the stealers, and outflanking shooting units aren't any less effective. Also, the 6E terrain rules openly encourage you to set up the available terrain to your advantage, so put out some cover your guys can hide behind on that first turn.

Outflanking shooting units like scouts, kommandos and genestealers? I mean sure, you can deploy terrain to cover both sides of their side of the board (denying yourself advantageous cover in the most-used part of the board), and sure outflanking shooting units don't care, but the real benefit of outflanking units is the ability to lock units in combat as an unknown threat, and that primary advantage has been completely nullified. It is strictly a change for the worse.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Mikael Kreoss posted:

at my LGS in Utah Vallejo is roughly 50c cheaper compared to a pot of GW paint

This is true of every US LGS I've been to, as well.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Naramyth posted:

If you are planning on having guys on foot(and have the points) razorbacks would be a better option.

Surely you mean Rhinos, so that the two psycannons in the combat squad can fire out the top.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Sammael, on the other hand, is the bees' knees, and black knights are amazing.

Why are black knights amazing? They look to be similar to SM biker command squads, which suffer enormously from being 40+ point models with a 3+ armor save and 1 wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, they took a bad design and made it larger with better details? :idgi: It's an improvement, but such a bad design needed a complete overhaul.

Yeah also this pretty much guarantees they won't redesign the xv-8 any time soon. Too bad because the broadside looks great.

• Locked thread