Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Somebody mentioned it in the last thread, but as I keep going over the new rules and my Tyranids codex, I think Tyranids are going to be the new 'random' army, even moreso than Orks. Psyker powers are random, charge distances are random, our flying monstrous creatures can either be awesome or get shot out of the sky by a bolter and break their neck. Even synapse is kind of a broken concept now, because there's more benefit to letting your creatures fall back on Instinctive Behavior - Feed than there is to being within synapse range.

All that said, I'm assembling 2 more Trygons and building a list where 40% of my points are spent on my Swarmlord & Tyrant Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Played my first 6th edition games today, my Tyranids against my friend's Necrons. Maybe our point levels were too low to be accurate (750 the first, 1000 the second), but it was really disheartening. Tyranid shooting is loving awful (with regards to range, BS, and AP), psychic powers can ruin your game before turn 1 if you roll the useless ones, and even Flying Monstrous Creatures aren't very good when they can get knocked out of the sky by any unit that fires at them 33% of the time.

I've tried not to complain, but I just don't see how Tyranids can compete in a game that is so dependent on shooting. Maybe we need to try a 2000 point game so I can bring 18 hive guard and just hide them behind rocks all game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Wildey posted:

I'm curious about what kind of list you were running, and what kind of list they had.

For the 750 list I had 2 winged Hive Tyrants 2 squads of 10 hormagaunts with both upgrades, and a third squad of hormagaunts with no upgrades. He had 2 squads of 10 Warriors, 1 squad of 5 Immortals, 1 squad of Deathmarks he held in reserve, an Annhilation Barge, a Lord with a Warscythe and a cryptek with some upgrades that I don't think every came into play.

I chose to go second, and my hope was once my tyrants flew out of synapse range, I'd be able to get Rage and follow in after them, after they had caused 2 rounds worth of damage. It ended up that since Necrons have a 24" range on everything, and with twin-linked Tesla weapons that add extra hits on a 6, Swooping was pretty worthless against them. One of my Tyrants died on turn 1 from focus firing. The other one I charged into combat with his immortal squad which had the Destroyer Lord, but got stuck in combat for 3 player turns because reanimation protocols and their Leadership 10 made it hard to finish them off. So obviously while all that was going on, my gaunts were getting destroyed and the game was over by the end of turn 3.

For the 1000 point list I just made a max-sized group of Tyranid Shrikes with max upgrades, a venomthrope, and a Swarmlord with Invisibility power and that went about as well as you would expect. He had the same force as above except with a squad of Destroyers and he bumped up his warriors to 20 per squad. I thought I was being clever because Necrons don't have much Strength 8 or above, and my Shrikes would be getting a 2+ cover save and then they could multi-assault and then my Swarmlord would come up from behind, and... But Deathmarks came and took out the venomthrope, Destroyers were able to take out my Swarmlord, and my Shrikes weren't able to assault after Overwatch took out the front-most model. Necron's Overwatch with Rapid Fire guns is pretty ridiculous.

My lists didn't contain Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, or Tervigons, which is the basis for a 'good list', but it was just an opportunity to see a lot of the changes in 6th edition, and at no point did I identify anything that positively affected me.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Comrade Merf posted:

The Black Templars especially. Considering the whole "What do you mean chapters are only supposed to have 1000 members, gently caress that."

Can anyone give any tips on starting 6th edition Necrons, all the guides for them are outdated with the release of the new edition. I have not played since 4th edition and it turns out Necrons are not boring anymore. I was thinking the battleforce and an overlord to get started with.

Here's a pretty good rundown on Necron's 5th edition codex: http://www.3plusplus.net/p/codex-reviews.html . Obviously this was before the new BRB came out last week, but I'm pretty sure there were no negative impacts on Necrons, while they got a fair amount of buffs with Rapid Fire changing and Flyer rules.

If you're looking for auto-include units, Annihilation Barges are one of the best valued vehicles in the game now. Wraiths are also pretty great now, especially when Necrons other assault units are either terrible (Flayed Ones) or terribly overpriced.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

If I'm reading page 96 about Emplaced Weapons correctly: as a Tyranids player, even if I buy an Aegis Defence Line with a Quad Gun, it will automatically fire, with BS 2, at the closest enemy unit it has line of site to. It also has the Interceptor special rule, which means it can choose to fire at the end of the enemy's Movement phase at a unit that arrived from Reserves that turn. Does this make Aegis Defense Lines worthless unless Tyranids want to get re-rolls for reserves, or would you assume the Interceptor rule overrides the 'automatically shoot at nearest enemy' section?

I've started assuming that this kind of question will always be resolved in the worst possible way for Tyranids.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 8, 2012

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ok, my Tyranids army is going up against my friend's Necron army next weekend, and I know he just bought a Doom Scythe (flyer). Is there a better/cheaper option for killing flyers than to take a Flyrant with Twin-Linked Devourers with Brainleech worms? Vector Strike will get me D3+1 Strength 6 hits, and another shot with my gun should get 1-2 more. Still pretty lousy odds of killing him, but I can't see any other choice since blasts can't hit them Hive Guards can't get twin-linked.

Also, is their any downside for the Doom Scythe to Evade every turn? His main weapon hits everything in a line automatically, so he's really only losing 1 or 2 Tesla shots.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

It can't shoot the main gun. P.13: "It's important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill--such as the Necron Monolith's portal of exile--cannot be 'fired' as a snap shot."

This is awesome, thanks!

And yeah, the weapon isn't that scary compared to 2 Annhilation Barges he could be bringing instead, but but it's just rough when there's no 'hard counter' to a unit.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I think the common units in most 'good' Tyranid lists are Hive Guard and Tervigons (as Troops choices). Hive Tyrants with wings are still being evaluated by the community I think, but so far they're probably the most reliable way to deal with enemy flyers and most vehicles.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

mmj posted:

really? Not only is the cost of that army pretty staggering, I'm shocked anyone found a use for parasite of mortrex. I should already have some tervigons but I played a few games with counts-as models and found them to just not be fun despite their power. On the other hand if I just don't like bringing pretty much the best unit in the codex, any hurt put on me is my fault. It seems like almost every tyranid list is built around tervigons pretty much

Yeah, maxed out Tervigons as Troops choices, maxed out Hive Guard or Zoanthropes, and Flyrants is the standard Tyranid build that gets suggested when you use anything else and lose badly. If you want to get really frustrated, flip through other armies' codexes and look at the points costs for their units compared to, say, a Tyrannofex, or even a Harpy. You can even compare apples to apples by looking at, say, Scarab Swarms versus Sky-Slasher Ripper Swarms. Same FoC, same points cost, but one is an effective part of a good army, the other is worthless with a special rule that make them much, much worse.

I also don't think Tyranid psyker-based armies are the way to go, because you'll know whether you've won or lost the game right after you roll for your powers. Assuming you don't want to get rid of Zoanthropes', Doom of Malan'Tai's, or Tervigon's powers (I'm waiting for an FAQ for whether you can keep 1 power and trade the other, or mix and match, but I assumed the former), you don't even have many options left for these theoretical psyker-heavy lists.

One thing that I haven't seen attempted yet is abusing Reserves in 6th edition. A Hive Tyrant with Old Adversary and an Aegis Defence Line with a Comms Relay will almost guarantee that every unit you have in reserves comes in Turn 2. Units in Mycetic Spores don't count towards the 'only 50% of your army may be in Reserves', and you could place low-points units on the board to make up for Flyrants or Trygons that are Deep Striking (A flyrant and 2 trygons only needs 3 units of 3 Sky-Slasher Ripper Swarms to balance them out). Also, now that all Monstrous Creatures have Move Through Cover, and therefore ignore Dangerous Terrain tests, deep striking is less risky on terrain-filled boards. Now, you'll still have to weather a full round of shooting without all psychic powers activated (Catalyst is used in the Movement Phase), but if you survived so that every one of your surviving units was engaged in assault by Turn 3, it could possibly make an assault-based army competetive again.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Similar statline doesn't not similar play make.

I think that's the most awkward sentence I've ever read.

After playing a game yesterday, Tyranid lists that max out Hive Guard and Tervigons really do feel a lot more like a reasonable army than any other Tyranid build. I just wish the army had more freedom like most other 5th and 6th edition codexes.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Just lost one part of a Termagaunt Devourer weapon not a few minutes ago

He is now the veteran of the squad. Old one arm

You need to pay an extra 30 points if you bring him now.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Has there been a consensus yet about whether you can choose to swap only a subset of your default psyker spells? Zoanthropes are good, but it'd be nice if you could save either their anti-infantry or anti-tank spell and try to specialize them more with the main powers.

I read through some of the write-ups of the recent Games Workshop tours, but maybe I missed one of the developers saying, "oh yeah, you can totally do that, why would people possibly not know that?"

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Cassa posted:

So I'm not really that well versed on the Imperial Amour stuff, but is there anything cool in any of them for Tyranids? I've got the Apocalypse rules of some things, but more interested in units I can use for 40k.

No, the Tyranid options from Forgeworld are really cool-looking, but actually WORSE than regular Tyranid units point-for-point.

That huge flying unit, the Harridan? 900 Points. 900 For that you get 4 Attacks, and 2 S 10, AP3, Assault 6 weapons that you fire at a BS of 3. It is ridiculously terrible. It doesn't even have an Invulnurable save, and it only gets a 3+ armor save. It's like they just strapped 4 Tyrannofexes together, and then decided that was too powerful so they changed the stats a little to make it worse.

The Hierodule isn't quite so bad, but he's still way over-costed at 600 points.

I have no idea what the Malanthrope is supposed to add to the army, and he's the only unit you can take in Non-Apocalypse games. He's just another assault unit that has no way to make it into assault range, and he doesn't have any special rules that realistically synergize with any specific strategy.

Edit: And just for comparison, that cool new Necron unit that looks like a giant, robot centipede? It costs as much as an un-upgraded Trygon, but is significantly better than a fully decked out Trygon Prime. And is eligible for regular 40k games.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 19, 2012

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Deviant posted:

Necroooooons!

1750 Pts - Necrons Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1750

HQ: Anrakyr the Traveller (2#, 245 pts)
. . 1 Anrakyr the Traveller, 165 pts
. . . . 1 Catacomb Command Barge, 80 pts

HQ: Imotekh the Stormlord (1#, 225 pts)
. . 1 Imotekh the Stormlord, 225 pts

Troops: Warriors (11#, 245 pts)
. . 10 Warriors, 130 pts = 10 * 13
. . . . 1 Ghost Ark, 115 pts

Troops: Warriors (11#, 245 pts)
. . 10 Warriors, 130 pts = 10 * 13
. . . . 1 Ghost Ark, 115 pts

Fast Attack: Canoptek Wraiths (6#, 220 pts)
. . 6 Canoptek Wraiths, 220 pts = 6 * 35 (base cost 35) + Whip Coil x1 10

Fast Attack: Canoptek Wraiths (6#, 220 pts)
. . 6 Canoptek Wraiths, 220 pts = 6 * 35 (base cost 35) + Whip Coil x1 10

Heavy Support: Doomsday Ark (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Doomsday Ark, 175 pts

Heavy Support: Doomsday Ark (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Doomsday Ark, 175 pts

This is why every Tyranid army need to have 3x3 Hive Guard. I wouldn't even know where to start against a list like this without them.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

mmj posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble killing flyers as a tyranid, does anyone have any recommendations? An aegis gun has had some effect but I don't have any other units that can take out fliers, including my winged tyrant. In a month, I have yet to actually kill a single flier, only whittle off a hull point or two, and it's pretty clear I'm not bringing something I should be.

Twin-Linked Devourers w/ Brainleech Worms on winged Hive Tyrants are about the best choice. If you can position them to get rear-armour hits, you should be able to get about 4 Strength 6 hits on average.

You can also give your Tryant the Old Adversary upgrade to give all your shooting units (Hive Guard) Preferred Enemy to re-roll 1's, but that's pretty expensive for a really lovely simulation of twin-linking.

Aegis Defense may be ever worse than you think, if you read the ruling about it in the Tyranids FAQ that none of your units can man the gun. And if you don't man the gun, it automatically shoots the nearest unit with a BS of 2. So yeah,

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Quick Tyranids question to make sure my interpretation is both correct and non-hammy:

If a Tervigon were to cast Onslaught on a group of Raveners, could they then move normally (12"), run in the shooting phase (1-6" w/ rerolls), shoot with spinefists (4 twin-linked S3 shots apiece), and then assault (2-12" w/ rerolls)?

I'm assuming because the Onslaught rules explicitly say that the affected cannot assault after running, 'unless they have Fleet', that this overrules the main rule book of never assaulting after running. It seems legit to me, but I want to make sure I'm not misreading this just because I want to have the chance to assault on turn 1.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

What is "Murderous Strike" than Angron's weapons have? Instant Death inflicting? Kind sad that Tyranids won't have the best CC juggernaut in the game anymore.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

Where did you get that army painter? It looks familiar, but I lost the bookmark with my last computer.

http://www.fallensunasylum.org/nids/online_painter.html

Probably my favorite Warhammer resource. If GW came out with a similar app for each race, I imagine it would be a great way to make $.99 from nearly every person with an unpainted army.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Why would they nerf the AP on Warp Lance?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Why do some of those CC biomorphs have the Ignores Cover special rule? Isn't that kind of pointless in CC?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

So I guess the rumor that Trygon Primes could be HQ's was wrong? I liked the idea of having 5 Trygons popping up around the table on turn 2.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

xtothez posted:

There are some good units here, but I'm really struggling to fit in enough Troops and decent Synapse units to keep it all tied together. The best I have is to just dump shitloads of bodies on the table like this, and hope Zoanthropes and Venomthropes last long enough to carry everything.

Don't think Devourers with Brainleech Worms are twin-linked anymore, fyi.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Well, the Necron codex had lots of rules that only made since when 6th Edition was released several months after the fact, but the only weirdness I've seen so far is all of the Tyranid CC options that include the Ignores Cover rule. So maybe in the next edition other armies will get cover saves from CC attacks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Robot Uprising posted:

I'm still clinging to the fact that a lot of the monstrous creatures got cheaper. Sure quite a few things are worse , but as long as I can get more cheaper twin linked-devourers on the table it can't be all that bad.

There are no twin-linked devourers anymore. It can be all that bad.

Edit: Nevermind, twin-linked is 'acoplado' in Spanish, you can still buy them for your MC's.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 9, 2014

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Pacheeco posted:

2 large blasts? I don't really get what you're saying. I'm basing this all off 5e Codex rules, I have no idea what they did to Mawlocs in their new codex. Currently Mawlocs can only mishap by scattering into impassable terrain or off the table edge. They don't mishap for scattering onto enemy units, that's the point of Terror from the Deep. They can't however arrive from reserve and then burrow in the same turn; That's a given.

If they changed Terror from the Deep in their new codex I am unaware of it.

According to "rumors", they changed the Terror From The Deep rule so that if there are any models remaining after the first S6 AP2 large blast is put down, you put down the template again and perform another round of S6 AP 2 hits. If there are any models still there after that 2nd template is resolved, you roll on the Mishap table rather than shifting them away and putting your Mawloc down. It seems to increase the risk at using the Mawloc to attack enemies by deep striking, as though they thought this was too powerful before.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

And Brainleech Devourers are no longer twin-linked and no longer cause -1 to Morale.

I thought this at first too, but in the Spanish version of the codex the 15 point upgrade for Devourers with Brainleech Worms still lists them as twin-linked, so I think this will actually remain. ("acoplado" seems to be "twin-linked" in Spanish)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Here's a link to a 4chan thread with pics from an English version of the codex: http://boards.4chan.org/tg/res/29377753. The first half are the Spanish ones everybody's already seen, but below that are a majority of unit descriptions and weapons all in English. It's... nothing different than the Spanish version, but some people seemed to hope it would be.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Hey look, pheromone trail works on the turn Lictors come in, that means I can deep strike without scattering! You can drop in.... uh.... gargoyles?
E: Holy poo poo the flyers need synapse, That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Nope, Lictor's gotta be on the board at the start of the turn. And it must deploy by deep strike.

Edit: ^^Yeah, seems kind of dumb and useless, huh? Not like they could've learned that from the last codex.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 9, 2014

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I think the disappointment is that abilities like the Lictor & Deathleaper's Pheremone Trail or the Trygon's tunnels were pretty worthless last edition, and they didn't modify them in any way to make them better now. If they were going to take away Mycetic Spores entirely, and they wanted to maintain the fluff of a Tyanid invasion happening by air, ground, and ambushes, you'd think they'd change the rules to reflect that on the tabletop.

Keep in mind you don't have a choice of rolling for reserves, so to use a Lictor's ability you'd have to roll them in from reserves on Turn 2, not roll the other units you wanted to deep strike near the Lictor, hope he survives by himself for a turn, and then hope the rest of your units come in on Turn 3.

It's a high-risk strategy already, keeping a lot of your army off the board for 3 turns, they could at least make it realistic for such a scenario to be possible.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ah, good point, looks like they change Chameleonic Skin so they removed the part where Lictor's MUST be deployed by deep strike. That's a buff I guess.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I dont remember what Indescribable Horror does, but it was 15 points.

Fear USR with -3 Leadership Modifier.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Hencoe posted:

So biovores spore mines stack their S into a single hit now? If so I wonder how that works out for the heirophants 8 shot apoc barrage.

Not sure what you mean, the latest Apocalypse book gives Heirophants 2 Bio-Cannons, which are each 48" S10 AP 3 Assault 6 shots, nothing about spore mines at all.

I've always thought the Apocalypse Tyranid creatures were pretty terrible for their points, especially compared to every new model with lots of Strength D options with better survivability for cheaper.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

How are you using those Shrikes? They just seem so fragile that it's not worth 230 points over another Trygon Prime or Carnifex brood.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ebay them for 50-75% of their purchase price. If you want to take the time, you could use Simple Green to take the paint off and then prime them in simple white and get a little bit more for them.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Soulfucker posted:

As much as we like to joke about it (because drat), I'm sometimes genuinely interested in how they go about when writing new rules - especially when you can tell there's been some modicum of effort involved. :v:

So you wouldn't be interested in how they wrote the Tyranid codex then?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

^With the exception of Necrons, but I don't even know if they're really 'evil' anymore, or if they're supposed to be kind of neutral dicks the way that Ogres and Tomb Kings are in Warhammer Fantasy.

It's also pretty asymmetrical how the 'good' armies will get special tactics or dataslates (or entire codexes) devoted to units that are specifically designed to counter an 'evil' race. The screenshots from the Tyrannic War Veterans dataslate shows that at least 2 of their formations revolve heavily around gunships (which, surprise, is an air unit that the Tyranid army is still incredibly weak to). The only think I can think of for an 'evil' race is how Dark Eldar or CSM get bonuses against regular Eldar or Space Marines respectively.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Current WIP 1750pt List:
Troops:
11x Termagant 44pts

11x Termagant 44pts

10x Termagant 40pts

10x Termagant 40pts

I'm going to have a number of games with this list beforehand, but I've got a major tournament coming (Crucible 3 in Orlando) and I'm thinking that this will be close to my list.

Aren't you going to be kind of screwed if your opponent places a majority of objectives on their side of the board? Also, are your Zoanthropes & Venomthropes just going to sit in your backfield providing Synapse and Shrouded? If so, it sucks that you have to pay a 190 point tax just to ensure you can control your units during the game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

260 points for 12 Genestealers seems like a lot considering the difficulty you'll have doing anything with them. But Tyranid troops are just bad, so I don't know what to recommend to replace them. You might consider dropping your Mawlock and taking Exocrines instead if you shave points off elsewhere.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Give specific examples of why Tyranids are good now, similar to how we're able to give specific reasons why they are worse and hard to make lists with. There's a stream of posts like this that say "you guys are just whining because the codex isn't the same," without actually addressing anything of substance to counter our arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I just had my second game with the new Tyranid codex.

Did you fire an extra tentaclid by forgetting that your vector strike counts as firing one of your 2 shots allowed in the Shooting phase?

• Locked thread