Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The new thread doesn't solve any of the previous threads issues, and introduces a whole new set of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It was also used a bit in third, though I don't remember the color of that cover now. Black?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BBB was 3rd, BGB was 4th, BRB was 5th

S.J.
May 19, 2008

There will always be a place for vomit marines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fix posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, they just got into the game through stuff like Dawn of War and Space Marine and finally got stuff figured out after dropping a few hundred dollars only to have their World Eaters nerfed.

That'll be 400 dollars for a new list that doesn't suck, thanks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

I cannot wait for the rage when the new Chaos book drops and people start crying about how Plague Marines, Obliterators, and Daemon Princes are no longer the end-all-be-all of CSM lists and that just might have to diversify and make things interesting.

Bu--but it's same models I've fielded for five years! How DARE they change how my army works! :qq:

More likely people will be frustrated that they spent all of that money on those items because they were the only things worth using at all, and the new book will make them overcosted to the point of uselessness, forcing them to almost re-purchase their entire army. Rather than diversifying there will be a different set of 3-4 units that are almost always strictly better than most of the rest of the book.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

if you go into a constantly changing game system with the mindset that you'll never have to buy anything else I don't know how to help you.

No one said that, so I don't know what to tell you. And regardless, it's pretty lovely for newer players.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Dominion posted:

Yeah, but 40k is extremely lovely for new players for lots of reasons. Like the 500+ dollar startup cost.

Yeah, I'm aware.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

It will when they have feel no pain in the next codex.

This is a funny joke.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look, let me dream okay?

I was thinking of making grot Imperial guardsmen as an allied detachment for my orks. Can I get away with having a priest as my sole HQ choice, or does the HQ selection have to fill up an HQ slot? I was thinking a priest with an eviscerator (Blood Bown grot w/ Chainsaw), a veteran squad (meltagrots) riding in a looted Vendetta, and a Manticore. All crewed by grots.

Total points: 430

He's not kidding (well, maybe he was), they really are doing finecast blisters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Corrode posted:

Just played the worst game of my life (not counting ones against cunts). The list with 20 foot Warriors actually works but gently caress the long deployment, gently caress rolling like total arse, gently caress the other guy getting all the good objectives in mission 4, gently caress not having gone first for three games and gently caress my 0-3 record for 6th ed. I'm getting the Deathwing out so I can own bones again.

My Ork list had the pleasure of going against a Necron player who decided to pass no less than 50 2+ saves throughout the game on his destroyer lord, and only took 2 wounds.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Isn't this completely open to rorting?

Yes. They take your information when they send things and keep track of it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

What are godhammer LR's? The vanilla LR?

Correct. They're too expensive for what they do, firepower wise, and it isn't really an assault vehicle with those weapons.

Also: when was the last time Bodger was updated?

Fearless posted:

The fine cast models I have gotten all have finer detail than pretty much any pewter model, and involve far, far less cleanup too. :smug:

My finecast Ghaz is a loving boss.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, it was always fun getting your poo poo lit up by a Redeemer that moved 12" and could fire a single template, why not let them use both? :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does a charging nob with a Power Klaw hit at S9 or S10? Reading the rules it looks like S10, but I can't find anything about order.

As I understand it Furious Charge gives +1 to the strength characteristic. The strength of the power fist attack then doubles it.

Strength 9, for the same reasons as it has always been. See page 2, 'Multiple Modifiers'.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

Lemartes is terrible, he only gets 4+ Look Out, Sir! It's better to attach a Reclusiarch or Chaplain.

e: Unit upgrade special characters are mostly terrible now for this reason and I hope they fix it.

Snikrot is loving awful, now :smith:

Gonna use him as counts-as Marbo for allies :v:

e: also the new rule for base sizes is literally 'gently caress, whatever I guess'

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 7, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Corrode posted:

Don't loving do this. It's the worst kind of Warseer posting bullshit. Jump MCs are explicitly outlined in the rulebook and they even changed jump to be an add-on to a normal unit descriptor instead of a unit type to cover this situation. Some MCs just aren't intended to be flying. Yes, it's a little silly that two units called 'Daemon Prince' are different depending on which army they're taken from, but it's not 'lol GW.'

Oh come on. There are way worse kinds of Warseer posting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

pr0digal posted:

Forgive my ignorance but by swarm do you mean what Hive Fleet they would be associated with (ie their color scheme) or the type of army it would be: such as an Ork type army with a ton of massive Termagaunt and Hormagaunt broods that just overwhelm with numbers or an army with smaller squads of more powerful creatures?

I feel that a mix between the two would work best

I'm literally brand new to the Tabletop aspect of this and I feel like such a fool asking such simple questions

He's basically just asking what kind of a list you would like to play. 'A mix between the two' is a perfectly acceptable answer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cataphract posted:

tears of joy... the worse you do the more orky it will look

This is so wrong.

Don't do lovely conversions, they are lazy, not Orky :colbert:

Propa Orky conversions take time and effort.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's not a lovely conversion, though? It's not done, but it's not lovely.

lovely Ork conversions come from the same attitude that lovely Ork paintjobs do - I don't have to try because it'll look better if I don't. But you won't make something look ramshackle and Orky by being lazy and lovely.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Well since terrain is now placed in alternating sequence

Not in a tournament it isn't.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

Then you're not playing by the rules. No reason anyone shouldn't be allowed to take SSP or Fortress just because it doesn't fit into your tournament *~SAFESPACE~*.

Tournaments define how their terrain is handled, not the rulebook. And why did you even quote me I didn't say anything about fortifications.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

I quoted you because you referred to tournaments using terrain setup that are directly incompatible with 6E rules.

What a stupid post. Are you trying to suggest that before every round at a tournament the players should roll a d3 for every 2x2 section of the table and set up terrain accordingly? Have you ever ran a tournament before? You do realize that the terrain setup rules in the BRB have never mattered, ever, for tournaments other than giving a general guidelines for how much terrain should be on any given board?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

If I spend 220 pts to add a fortress to my list, and you tell me I can't use a choice out of the base rule book, you are playing wrong. I am playing 40k, and you are playing safespace-houserule-game. It's no different then telling me I can't take an allied detachment.

If tournaments need to change their terrain setup rules to accomodate, that's not my loving problem now is it?

I never loving said any of those things? Also, it absolutely is your problem if you plan on playing in the tournament! At that point, it is the problem of everyone organizing the tournament and everyone who is playing in it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

No, it's the problem of the organizers to modify their setup to fit the game rules. The book dictates the rules, not the TO. Or is what you meant by 'the tournament' actually 'MY tournament'?

Every tournament is 'my tournament' because none of them are the same, and none of them attempt to conform to whatever platonic ideal the BRB sets up as 40k. Saying that the Skyshield is too much of a pain to plan terrain around is no different than saying we're going to do custom missions because the ones in the BRB are poo poo for competitive play. You agree to whatever terms the TO sets up when you sign up for the tournament, so if you want to play in tournaments where the TO doesn't mind landing pads, go to those tournaments instead. It's hardly the end of the world and hardly worth complaining about - if the tournament is poo poo as a result, no one will come back and either way you don't have to worry about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

I will, because the tournaments that don't allow them are loving amateur hour.

Better let Corrode know how much of a bad he is then I guess. I'm not arguing for it one way or the other, I don't give a poo poo, but you are getting way too angry about this.

Babe Magnet posted:

You refuted a section of the rules by saying that that tournament's homebrew rules overwrote rulebook rules, which is okay for the most part, but you jumped into the middle of a discussion about placing terrain and it's pain-in-the-assitude and it's validity in the BRB and that you shouldn't ban it just because you don't like it.

You said directly made a counter-argument in support of grognarding out rules because they're scary, just by jumping in and defending Tournaments in a place where they weren't really being discussed. It's all about context, dude.

The discussion was regarding the placement of terrain in the context of setting up terrain for a tournament.

Corrode posted:

I've house ruled out the Fortress not because of balance concerns but because it's huge and therefore a loving pig to use on tournament tables where you can't work the terrain around it easily.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

Oh, he's perfectly within his right. He just wouldn't be running a 40k tournament. It'd be a "my game that looks kind of like 40k" tournament. If that's a problem, have him fill out a hurt feelings report and drop it on my desk.

Haha, okay man. Have fun with that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

e: nvm

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

Sorry, I meant you roll two dice and pick the highest, which is technically better than a reroll, isn't it?

Sure, but they've always been able to do that. I think maybe Corrode is reading that you get to re-roll the pen result?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

All I know is that I'll probably pick up a Primaris Psyker, a unit of plasma vets (these will be some bad-rear end grots), Snikrot counts-as Marbo and a looted Manticore to add to my Orks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

I would only allow this if the grots were wearing some IG hats.

Nope. But they'll all be wearing bandanas and some scavenged IG and Kommando gear.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

My conversion is a lot harder to do; I have to fit these fatass Boyz into flak armour somehow and glue Aquilas onto everything.

j/k I'm making them Blood Axes

Haha yeah, I was thinking about just converting my Kommandos into the Vets since I know I won't be using them in 6th ed :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:v: Well, it's certainly great weather for it. These fans will certainly wish they had gone outside, today.

:d: No doubt.

I see a fatal flaw in your post. But bravo, sir, bravo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It's probably hams being hams, trying to get something for free.

Bingo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thank you for this.

I just got out-bid on a Red Gobbo that would've made a perfect Commissar. I was thinking about either a grot Commissar or Psyker, plasma vets in a Vendetta, either Marbo or halfling snipers, and the looted Manticore.

Dunno about the snipers, if I wasn't doing marbo I'd probably do gobbo psyker battle squad :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CyberLord XP posted:

But does anything actually have it yet?

Nope.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Don't bother with face detailing on regular whatever IG troopers, you will go insane.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If you're just trying to get the stuff done, who cares? No one will notice, and if they do, they probably won't care either.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

SRM posted:

I've painted every face on my Valhallans, eyes and all :ussr::respek::shepicide:

See? A perfect example of a broken shell of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's from the Wood Elf line IIRC.

• Locked thread