Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

B&C is so... pompous, this and much more all linked to by a banner that would make you think they made the game.

Hahaha, hams are great. The person running the next Qld quarter master has already banned Allies, and has a thread out asking for house rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sorted, anyone going to Winter Warfest? :D

Cassa fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 8, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Master Twig posted:

So far every 6th edition game I've played has been with my Tyranids. Tomorrow i will be playing with my Imperial Guard for the first time. I've made a new list. May be good, may be poo poo.

I'll be playing a few games. One against Sisters, one against Dark Eldar. I think it will do well, but with the new rules, who the gently caress knows.

Well one of your "assault" blobs is dragging around embedded heavy weapons which will be worthless once you're in assault. Otherwise your heavy support options seem to lack focus, manticore and demolisher are both great this edition, but if you can maybe throw in two of one, instead of one of each?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Nids are as good a beginners army as any. What kind of tyranid swarm do you like more?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
"Hybrid" Tyranids are a solid army, Termagants and Genestealers/Hormagants supported by Tervigons works pretty well, Hive Tyrants are also great combat monsters, Hive Guard or Zoanthropes for ranged anti-tank, or Tyrannofexes if you want really long range.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Then clearly you need to give them all kicking rad rides.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Googling cool insects is great advice when deciding tyranid schemes. That said, I hate painting so much, but that might be from running armies that start at 60 models. Or it could be that paint is dumb and for bads and I haven't found a cool show to stick on in the background for months.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Eh Orks, those buildings though! Love the flower beds.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Played one of my last games of 5th today versus a mate running Marines, destroyed him with my 24 Genestealers thanks to some crazy battle mission missions.

Highlight was 8 poison stealers with Broodlord just eating an entire squad of Assault Marines in a single charge, Broodlord himself murdered 4 on his lonesome. Oh God I love initiative 7 so much.

But it brought up a rules question, which I still have for 6th so answer in that context.

If termagants charge veterans that are in cover, and I DON'T have assault grenades, termagants go at initiative 1.

BUT if I'm already in cover and charge them, do I still need assault grenades or equiv? What if I move into cover during the movement phase and then assault him?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

What would be a good points cost for a Pyrovore? 15 points?

The problem isn't the cost, it's that it's an anti-infantry flamer competing with the only reliable anti-tank options in an army where pretty much everything is anti-infantry.

Also, anyone looking to get refunds on NIB GW stuff in Australian GW's, you're poo poo out of luck.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If you have a license you should be able to update the files manually through their website, even if your license is "expired"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's a VERY interesting article on Faeit 212 about several interviews someone did with the GW Design Team, including some incredibly candid conversations with Jarvis, Mat, and His Holiness Phil.

quote:

The ultimate goal of 6th edition according to Jervis was to tackle what both he and Matt described as ‘Associative and Disassociative’ rules and to add more realism to the game.

quote:

Associative and Disassociative

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If you have a 3.0 license you should be able to activate it again.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So I'm not really that well versed on the Imperial Amour stuff, but is there anything cool in any of them for Tyranids? I've got the Apocalypse rules of some things, but more interested in units I can use for 40k.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Excellent.

Feel free to mess with that as you like, all. I'll likely be beautifying it and messing with things as time goes on; it's just a priliminary mock-up I made whilst drinking coffee this morning.

That looks like it's a solid base to build from.

Thanks to this my next game will be full of markers everywhere. Strips of paper with names of psychic powers on them to place next to affected units was the previous genious in it's simplicity idea I'd heard.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Don't the FAQs tell you what you which schools you roll for powers on?

Discospawn posted:

No, the Tyranid options from Forgeworld are really cool-looking, but actually WORSE than regular Tyranid units point-for-point.

Edit: And just for comparison, that cool new Necron unit that looks like a giant, robot centipede? It costs as much as an un-upgraded Trygon, but is significantly better than a fully decked out Trygon Prime. And is eligible for regular 40k games.

Well I guess that's a relief? Not the Tomb Spider thing, although that does make me want to start that Necron army even more.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

xtothez posted:

The only exception here is if you own a Hierophant and can be rather persuasive. When the rules for this was made, it was given the Warp Field ability which was a 5++ save at the time (4e codex). In 5e this was changed to 3++, which makes the T9 W10 bio-titan pretty loving mean. Especially if you pair up his BS3 S10 weapons with the new Preferred Enemy...

To be honest I'd rather see a new Tyranid IA release over a 6e codex at this point. FW make the most impressive and scary beasties.

Surprised they haven't made "Tervigons" that can spawn hormagaunts/genestealers or the like.

Also Hierophants sounds fantastic, 12 S10 shots? Next you'll be telling me they're large blasts!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Since when do drop pods block line of sight?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

I suppose I should say that I didn't just basecoat my army. I at least tried. Primer white and black camo stripe...thingys. Basic winter camo. Yeah, it doesn't look great, but it doesn't look completely horrible.

As long as it's not bare plastic, screw them. I'm right there with you in regards to what I enjoy most about this hobby, and the time spent painting is not the fun part.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Vendettas can out flank? Or is this some special thing with flyers and deepstrike?

Infiltrate and Scout both let you outflank.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Wow I do not know how I or anyone I play with never caught this yet. Vendettas just became even more awesome.

I only discovered because my opponent In my last 5th Ed tournament was dumbfounded my genestealers weren't outflanking, he then helpfully informed me that infiltrate does indeed let you outflank.

This information was helpfully presented in a single paragraph, right at the end of the softcover 5th Ed rule book, and not mentioned anywhere else that I could find.

Hire a better index writer GW.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Man I hope Kharn gets Eternal Warrior or something similar, watching him get blatted by powerfists was never nice, although with 8 attack he does seem like he'd be a challenge monster, so long as the opponent hasn't got a 2+ at least.

Shame there's no other benefit to mark of Khorne except for rage, I want Khornate havocs damnit!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

kannonfodder posted:

Rules question: If a unit has an ability that buffs allies within X" distance, and they get in a transport, you measure the distance from any point of the transport's hull, right?

Or does it just not work at all?

What ability do you mean?

Mostly the vehicle needs fire ports or to be open topped, and if it's not open topped you generally measure from the fire ports.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Edit: Go with what Karandras said.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 27, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
A tac box can go a long way, what kind of space marine army do you think you'd enjoy most? Any of the codex bearing variants tickle your fancy in particular?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Phyresis posted:

Pierre dropped a mycetic spore with 2 zoanthropes onto my skyshield and then flew a winged hive tyrant up there. :qq: He also kicked the crap out of my boyz with Biovores. Biovores. :negative:

Well on the otherhand, Zoanthropes have a 3++ naturally, so putting them up there is mostly spite.

Biovores do sound like fun, but damned if I can find them cheap anywhere.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wasn't the reason they stopped was that there was just rampant cheating?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Alright, I'm in the market for two winged Hive Tyrants, but don't wanna drop $AUS on it, provide me with options duders.

And by that I mean which one of you was willing to ship to aussies.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 1, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

^^^ Why not drop the heavy bolters on the Vendetta and put some grenade launchers at least in those two veteran squads? Maybe put a heavy weapon in the sniper rifle squad.

Heavy Bolter Sponsons are only 10 points, so he'd be able to give one squad 2, not really worth it.

But what is your plan with your list Babe Magnet? You don't seem to have many ways for your veterans to either run around in or murder people with.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tellyporta 'Nobz sound like an entirely new unit. Ork codex in 2013?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Those chaos rumours are tasty, different gods having different psychic powers sounds awesome, and a promising treat for future armies.

Kinda hoping this time Kharn gets some sort of instant-death immunity or ability to stand back up because of FLUFF REASONS.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 12, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
"Oh you mean your guys are only strength 5? Sorry, my Hive Tyrant is Toughness 9 :smug:"

Watching as my Monstrous Creatures jog their way up through mass battlesuit plasma and missile fire is my new favourite thing, and has revitalised my love of Tyranids.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Searchlights come standard on Leman Russes, otherwise if you have the point to spare and expect night fighting?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah I love fighting Dark Angel terminator armies when I'm not marines. Oh no I lost a squad of termagants, guess I'll have to spawn some more. Enfeebling a command squad and watching them and Belial eat it to a bunch of poisoned termagants is my new favourite thing. Even spending far too much on a hive tyrant wasn't a problem as he just hung back letting Gants reroll all them 1's.

Pink dice supremacy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wanna run that datasheet.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 25, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How're Tyranids going? Not that the two most popular armies being the "stand in mid-field and shoot you dead" type gives me much hope for them.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 1, 2012

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So does it have any stats that make it stand out from an imperial dreadnought?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Plague zombies should be even cheaper but have the swarm special rule.

Why would you want that? Does swarm do something other than make them even worse against blasts?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Playing my first 2000 point game tomorrow night, which should be interesting...I want to use the Chaos Cultists though, so any thoughts on how many points they should cost? I've never looked at IG point costs, but I suppose that's a good starting point?

Allied Guard could work:
1 Primaris Psyker - Trade out his powers for Biomancy
2x Vet squads - Give them whatever special weapons are most applicable to the cultist loadouts. You could use penal legionaires I guess but they're pretty bad so.
That'd cost you between 210 - 300 points depending on special weapons and such.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it's not at a shop or proper club - these are just games at home. I should have said I'd be taking Chaos allies with the DE being my main force, I've done that the past few times with our larger games. So the cultists would be sitting on objectives basically.

Oh ok, if you're taking Chaos allies, maybe run one of the Chaos Imperial Armor lists like Tyrants Legion or Defenders of Vraks?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Lemun Russ Executioner looks like it could be really effective given the current meta. Being able to drop 5 plasma blasts on your target seems incredibly effective given the elimination of LoSir shenanigans.

Well they're S7 so not instant-deathing marines, small blast at BS3 which means scatter hurts, and since they're templates you can't snap fire the sponsons if you move.*

*still not up on the FAQ's or rules so that might all be wrong.

Anyways, Doubles Tournaments sure are a thing. I wish clubs/tournaments would realise that line of sight blocking terrain is loving fantastic and makes the games more interesting.

• Locked thread