Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

FrickenMoron posted:

I hate useless purchases. Yes, I'm looking at YOU scout-bikers! :(

What kind of landraiders? It makes a huge difference. As you might have noticed any vehicle that wants to get close to the enemy kinda sucks now.

Also, are you mad? Bikers just got crazy good, and scout bikes were worth taking even in 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

FrickenMoron posted:

Bikes only got so much better in the regard that their modified toughness counts for ID; which indeed makes attack bikes a lot better.
Also FnP rolls for anything not S10, which is huge. Plus now you hit vehicles really easy in CC, meltabombs are great and it it's super easy to glance vehicles to death.

As the extra cherry on top you get HoW impact hits in cc without giving up your regular move like jumpers do.

If anyone still doesn't want their bikes I'm buying.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

Gunslinger is a general rule about 2 pistols. Cypher is 100% not in the starter, we know the contents. Now answer one of mine: I saw a list on ytth with 4 Vindicators, and that got me thinking. Do you guys think Vindicators could be good now???

They got better, that's for sure. But any vehicle that needs to get within 24" to fire is going to get murdered by glances against 'crons and GK. And anything fast will be able to assault it and hit rear armor on 3+....

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Corrode posted:

Two units in the entire game can assault out of reserve, and coincidentally they're the only two able to do so from more or less complete safety (the risk of dying on a DS compared to Stealers having to hang out on a board edge and get shot for a turn is laughable).

Zagstrukk! :orks:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

There might be a chosen and the dread Waldo'd away in the rulebook. In the big Chaos v Imperials foldout, there's a very modern looking chaos dread leading the landraider column up the road. And on page 296, there's a zerker squad led by a model I don't recognize.

Yup, named Hell Beast too. There's always hidden stuff like that in the rule books.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Mephiston posted:

unless its something entirely different from the battle of Eagle Gate, then its "The Hell Feaster". It also looks pretty interesting.

Edit:

Power fist and multi melta.. hmm...

I misremembered, but then again hell beast might have been a mistranslation.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

I did too but then I realized that there are two distinct rule sheets there in the Chinese leak: one for each starter, each with their own weapon profiles and such so I'm kind of worried now. It's a super dumb idea, the point of starters is to have a battle-in-a-box so you can buy a starter set and have a game with a friend within an hour.

Maybe it's because each player can then have their own summary sheet when playing?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Are dakkajets still the best ork flier?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

E-bay related question. Do I need 30 (tactical) terminators? I can't really make a playable list with the BA dex, but I suspect that I'll be able to use them once the new DA dex hit the shelves.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Fix posted:

Why in the world would you put the exhaust stacks on upside down? That just seems like a bad idea.

Jump jets I suspect.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

bhsman posted:

Am I the only one who wants to put an Iron Priest and a few Servitors in a Godhammer Land Raider and have it work as a mobile gun platform? :blush:

This works like a charm by the way. Invincible landraider! Not really worth the points though in 5th considering what else you could get for that much. However, now that glances can't shot you down and techmarines can also restore hullpoints it might be a little better.

Or putting him in a stormraven to make your air support more durable.

Nephilm posted:

godhammer LRs

Phobos pattern Landraider. Godhammer is the name of the lascannon.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 6, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Fix posted:

I also would like to know this. I guess you can snapfire your Reaper at the same time as you're using the battle cannon, and use the heavy flamer in overwatch.

Awesome, but still x-box huge and av12 :(

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, I can understand your sentiment, but I've played enough DoW games where my opponent has elected to go second and reserved everything to appreciate it. The game is about having a fight, not waiting for the other side to show up.

So you get an extra turn to maneuver and get into position? It's not like it slows the game down, quite to the contrary.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Why were they considered terrible before, and what has changed that made them good?

Bad players didn't read the 'rage' rule properly and never bothered to try them out, thinking incorrectly that they would be led around the all game board by a speeder or empty rhino.

You now have full control of them, which is good. Fearless is also much less of a liability than it was before. You can also be more flexible with squad size unlike the previous edition where you had to use a large squad footprint to work around the 'rage' rule.

Unfortunately they still suffer from the 6th ed nerfs to assault troops.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

numerrik posted:

So not to seem like a beggar, but with the advent of 6th, mlgs group is doing a slow escalation thing for the rest of the year. I am fielding my sisters, and have my 500 points of goodness. (2 squads of sisters, each with flamer and heavy flamer, penitent engine, and saint Celestine.) and was wondering what I should pick up for when we bump to 750 points next month.

Get an exorcist or two but save one HS slot for more sisters on foot.
Retributor squads with heavy bolters are brutal now. Rending acts of faith together with worse cover all around, more fragile vehicles and generally just getting to shoot more makes them an absolute pain in the rear end to face.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

numerrik posted:

Well the exorcist is probably going to be gotten, having read it up in the codex, and a second one prolly wouldn't hurt, but ultimately, I only have 250 points to play with and a naked exorcist is 135. So basically, I am wondering what to dump those other 115 points on, besides Uriah and 1 more sister in each of my troop units.

Retributor sqd with 4*HB and the imperial re-roll acts of faith-thingy is 105.

I don't think Uriah is worth taking in such a small force.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

numerrik posted:

Any suggestions for next month when the escalation hits 750?

Some extra bodies in the retributor squad to start with. Extra rending bolters never hurt anyone (well, you know what I mean..) and you could use some bodies in front of the big guns to act as meat shields and provide a martyr point.

A transport for the second battle sister squad, upgraded weapons (meltas and multimeltas for everyone?) and an exorcist tank. 250 should be more than enough I think?

EDIT:

Seraphim actually got a lot better in this edition too. They still suck at assaulting things, being worse than the already mediocre assault marines, but the dual handflamers rerolling wounds will catch people by surprise. The new shooting and wound allocation makes them very nasty :( Deepstrikes being less risky in 6th will help them DS in a favorable position and torrent things to death.

Phyresis posted:

confirming that Mephiston still sucks

Oh no you didn't!

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 10, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Also DA veterans can take a bolt pistil and plasma pistol.

Only 35 points each!

And vanguards. 10 of those in a drop pod with dual melta pistols. Drop, dismount, kill 10 terminators in one shooting phase.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

CrotchPheasant posted:

I thought halberds got changed so that they're not I6 anymore and just use axe rules.

Well aparently the FAQ writers thought differently as GKs generic forceweapons all got to keep their special bonuses while every other codex had their unique power weapons changed to use the new rulebook stats.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

If anyone has a couple of OOP metal land speeders or plastic auto-las preds I'm looking to buy.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Probably should have specified that these are the ones I'm looking for;

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why on earth would you buy an old metal Landspeeder ? Those things were huge faff to assemble.

Ever since I had it pointed out to me the new ones look like a pair of floating baby shoes when I put them on the table.

mail sent to everyone who posted.

jadebullet posted:

Now, for a round of "are they good" questions. Are the following units actually good on the table top: Librarian Furioso, regular Furioso, Land Speeder, Bikes?

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

The furioso dreads are AV13 which makes them immune to krak grenades in CC. Previously I would have taken a DC dread over the regular any time but with the changes to fleet and grenades I'm not sure they are worth it anymore.

Librarian dreads are still good. Being able to pick between the S6 force weapon and S10 DCCW is nice.

There's a lot to be said about using and equipping dreads, but none of the above is a waste of points or money.

Land speeders will actually be able to use both guns now while still moving. They are more fragile than ever so take care when equipping them. Either go for a standoff approach with the cyclone and HB or inexpensive 'suicide' dual melta or dual flamer. Assault cannon is not worth it.

Bikes just got a lot better overall, attack bikes are still the best though. Triple multimelta or 2*multimelta and 1*heavy bolter is a good squad. Bikes make very good mounts for characters now as you get don't get instant death from lascannons or missile launchers.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 11, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

Gonna disagree with you on Librarian Dreads...

Librian dreads are tricky but effective when you find a niche for them in your list. They are not worth it simply for CC killyness.

Glances are deadly now and every point or armor helps. Considering that it will likely take at least one round of shooting before you can get stuck in and the average squad will now have 10 instead of 1 things that have a reasonable chance to hurt you in CC I'm not sold on the AV12.

I'm not sure how I feel about the claws vs fists now that the claws are AP3. A dread isn't mobile enough to always pick the perfect combat, fists might be the way to go in 6th since 2+ will likely be more common and you get to insta-kill T5. Talons however still plow through 3+, even better now with the extra attack on a DC dread, since assault squads got a lot worse at dealing with marines in general a talon dread or two could be nice.
And talon dreads make for very good distraction units. They tend to attract fire like nothing else.

Furiosos goes in pods, or alone in raven, but I prefer pods. Lib furiosos can manage with 'wings', but walking is suicide.

The 'our weapons are useless' USR is just as much a case for the AV13 as against. Getting bogged down isn't always what you want either, plus you get a chance to sweep.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

So how about taking Tau allies with an Ethereal and put him in a bastion? I hear that those guys are accident prone and have poor depth perception. Might :airquote: fall down :airquote: from it at the start of the battle you know.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Miles O'Brian posted:

This is a really good read and makes me excited for the future. Its amazing how all it takes is a little communication and transparency and suddenly you sort of like Mat Ward after all.

My husband just called and he told me that he's really sorry about what happened. Then he said that he loves me and even cried a bit! I'm going back to him, I have a good feeling about it and I think we can make it work this time. :j:

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Tequila Ranger posted:

Its the ones who put down 9 venoms and then silently stroke their neckbeard while you look through the rules for deployment that should wear a nametag that says "Hi My Name Is :Huge oval office"

This. It's even worse when they actively tailor their lists just to crush the unfortunate newbie. I've seen it happen.

Oh, Not a lot of anti tank in your half completed list with whatever models you had finished painting? Lemme just swap out my regular grey hunters for more predators and venerable dreads real quick... :mmmsmug:

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 20, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Fix posted:

Out of curiosity, have any of the old hats around here actually witnessed this thing play out, or was it the similar sort of killer potentiality that defines so much of the rules grousing nowadays? I bailed shortly after Rogue Trader and missed most of second and all of third.

I remember the jump-pack vortex grenade killer combo. That was back when I was running Harlequins out of a painted up APC model from Aliens and making Flamers of Tzeentch out of dried rubber cement and rolling every single model up at random from the chaos charts.

Yes, the virus grende and virus outbreak strategy card were broken. There was simply no way for IG, orks and if I remember correctly non aspect eldar to protect themselves from it while the rest of the armies were completely immune. You could try and space out everything to minimize the damage but that grenade was very likely to take a good chunk of your army away with 0 effort.

Vortex grenades weren't bad at all, they were expensive, one use only and dangerous to the thrower as they stayed on the table and moved about and changed shape. Only bads took extremely blinged out HQs as they could be one-shotted by every heavy weapon the board.

The current edition is much much worse than 2nd when it comes to complexity and being bogged down by complex and often conflicting rules. There's less cardboard on table now though, that's good. Having separate cards and blips for literally everything was a pain in the rear end.

Pierzak posted:

If you were playing orks and didn't take the vaccine, it was your own fault.
Was this some white dwarf release? Can't find that card in my dark millennium or rulebook stack.

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 21, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

And I've never seen a virus grenade assault but I HAVE seen the bullshit that is a vortex grenade.

Why is having a 50 pt wargear item which can only be thrown (was it 8"?) and might just move back and eat me the following turn bullshit? This was the edition of destructive firepower like nothing else. S8 D10 wounds assault cannons with a possible 9 shots. S8 2D12 wounds large blast multimeltas. Autowound, no save thunderhammers. 72" range lascannons in every tacsquad if want it.

Vortex grenades were fun, but in no way overpowered in the context of the edition.

quote:

"let's throw all these cool ideas in with no concern for balance!" and it was as terrible/awesome as that implies.
Games took hours and hours and there were so many broken rules that they almost balanced out.

So exactly the same way as it is today?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Pierzak posted:

2" template, actually.

2" radi, so 4" across. Pretty much the 5" large blast have today.

God I miss the large flamer template... :(

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

How many Death Company marines are too much. I see that I can take close to thirty of them, and from what I have read they are quite good now. I am just wondering how many are too many, and how everyone has been using them in 6th so far.

Are you guys throwing them in in Rhinos, deep striking Crusaders, Ravens, or are you just letting them foot slog to the enemy? Are the jump packs worth it, or is it better to set them up as regular marines?

What sort of kit are you guys running on them as well? Are you running Infernus pistols and chainswords, or bolters?

Big is good, but delivery is the problem. Jump packs are better but still a bit expensive, pods are the best as rhinos suck now. You could go with deployment from a raven using the skies of blood rule and a beacon on the raven (optional). Deepstriking landraiders are slightly better now, but still more of a comedy option.

With rage now giving +2A I would give them all bolters except an infernus pistol or two, plus the mandatory fist or hammer.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Is Mephiston any good?

Yes. But you have to be careful when using him since he lacks an inv save and FnP. Throw him at regular squads and vehicles. Keep him away from units with 2+ or good inv saves, force weapons and walkers.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't think Mephiston really cares about walkers. Pop sanguine sword and go to town with 6 attacks at I7 and S10.

Mephiston is a huge points investment and I prefer to keep him away from anything that ignores his save and wounds him on 2+. He always attract enough attention that you don't want him taking any unnecessary wounds whatsoever.

With hull points he's now better vs walkers, but so are regular marine infantry. After the FC nerf BA is short on high I, AP3 attacks and Mephiston brings a lot of those.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

What does Mephiston do that a unit of Sanguinary Guard doesn't do better?

Kill stuff without getting killed. Sang guard are not so good at that being standard marine statline with a lovely fixed squad size. They got a little better now that most power weapons are AP3, but still not the same league as the tiny supercharged daemonprince.

The great thing about Mephiston is that he doesn't need the powers to go off to do his job, he just gets better at it.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

He seems pretty drat reliant on Wings to me. What are you going to do, devote a whole transport just to get him around?
Just hide him out of sight behind terrain or a vehicle or give him a cover save behind a unit. He could hitch a ride in any transport but I wouldn't shell out the points for an assault vehicle and rhino hulls are better used for LoS block. It's not difficult to hide a single model.

Phyresis posted:

I know you and I have rather different philosophies when it comes to BA lists but he just isn't synergistic with the Angels at all. You say to throw him at regular squads... do BA really need help killing regular infantry? Or even vehicles?

Yes! They did in 5th and they sure as hell do now. With overwatch and the nerf to FC your assault squad barely have an edge against a plain tac squad, not to mention actually good troops like greyhunters and GK.

Against vehicles T6 means you can just walk up against any armor and take that las/melta/demolisher/whatever to the face and proceed to punch said vehicle in its truck nuts in the following turn. Invaluable against any blast or template that will chew through your regular troops and vehicles.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Phyresis posted:

How the gently caress are grots BS3 if conscripts are BS2? I've never shot a gun in my life but I'd bet you that I can shoot a laser gun better than a god drat goblin.

I'm accurate in my way
'Cause Gork makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Now if only they had rules for a demolisher shooting close range and having the shell scatter 6 inches backwards so it lands behind the turret, or at least an explanation for what happened.

Bad things can happen when you disable the proximity fuse.

I did like the 2nd ed rule of blasts only being able to scatter half the distance fired though.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

SRM posted:

I like that the models have some personality to them; I always found that hard to come by for Daemons considering they don't really have much in the way of individual personalities. I'm glad that Chaos Marines aren't this month though; I've got to put down first+last+deposit+fee on a new apartment and I don't have a plastic spacemans budget.

I'll paypal you :10bux: if you make Dawn of Awesome part 6.

I'm not worthy!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 28, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

So just wondering if you guys would mind looking over the 2000 point BA army list that I came up with and providing me with some critiques. I haven't played since 4th, and even then, only played Tau, so I am very rusty.

Drop the plasma pistol on the librarian and use the 15 pts on a locator beacon for the raven so that you deep strike the termies and disembark the DC and dread without scatter. You don't want a plasma pistol on a librarian anyway, they are fragile enough as it is. Switch the librarian powers for BRB divination

The honor guard setup is a bit weird, do you have any special plans for it? Make it shooty or make it stabby.

The deathcompany need at least one fist or hammer, preferably two as one is liable to getting sniped by characters making precision strikes/shots.

The two assault squads doesn't quite look like they belong in this list. 5 man squads are very vulnerable. As it is you would be better off taking them in pods, at least then you'll be pretty sure they end up doing something.

I could see this work in a relaxed environment for casual games, but it's a very weak 2k 'competitive' list.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

jadebullet posted:

HQ
Librarian**
Powers
-Unleash Rage
-Fear of Darkness

Honor Guard
-Plasma gun X4

Elites
Assault Terminators** X5
-Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield X4

Chaplain

Troops
Death Company* X11
-Bolters
-Infernus Pistol and chainsword for two DC
-Powerfist

Assault Squad X10
-Melta Gun X2
-Powersword for Sarge
-Melta bombs

Assault Squad X10
-Melta Gun X2
-Powersword for Sarge
-Melta bombs

Fast Attack
Bike Squad - 7 Bikes and 1 attack bike
-Multimelta on attack bike
-Meltagun X2

Heavy Support
Stormraven*
-Extra Armor

Stormraven**
-Extra Armor

* The Stormraven is the delivery vehicle for the Death Company marines and Chaplain

** Second Stormraven is the delivery vehicle for the TH/SS Terminators and the Librarian who is attached to the Assault Terminator Squad.

It's getting better but... With how reserves work you have very little in the way of actual anti tank, little firepower in general really. This list would have been better in 5th were you could just reserve everything, now you're looking at a few relatively fragile units taking all incoming fire for 1-2 turns.

You have two scoring units now, that's better too, but not a lot for a 2k list.

The main problem is that you have two semi-death stars (DC and hammernators with charaters) that together with the ravens eat up a lot of the points you need for fire support and scoring.

I would advice dropping one of these, even if you want to keep both ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The pods have a storm bolter or missile launcher built in, and count as open topped (easier to pop, especially when you consider they're already immobilised) with 10/10/10 for armour.

It's 12/12/12.... so not super easy to pop. People assume 10/10/10 all the time
and I have no idea why.

EDIT: No rulebook atm. What, if anything, happens if you hit and drag a zooming flyer with a magnagrapple?

cat with hands fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 11, 2012

• Locked thread