Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yo trailer dude stop using your musou on the massive pack of three scrubs

Anyway, it does seem nice that the "walls" are removed and we've joined the modern parkour go anywhere era. Gonna run over all the roofs.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If I can leap from some ridiculous height and use Lu Bu's air musou to crash into a massive pack of ancient Chinese peons, then I'll be happy. Very happy.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
That trailer had so many effects and transitions happening so rapidly that it was disorienting. This really does continue to set off alarm bells along with the clones.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm not exactly impressed with the trailer being honest, open world just doesn't look very exciting.

The trailer made me realize though that the only reason they added Zhou Cang is to attach a mission/achievement to him to swim for X amount of time.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The more I see of DW9 the less I care.

I'm probably going to end up forgetting the franchise again and/or waiting until DW12 because my favourite games have been 4 and 8 so far.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I got ahold of Samurai Warriors 4 Empires today. I spent the afternoon playing through the Battle of Okehazama with Nobunaga (ending the game after completing his goal.)

Coming off of DW8XL, the general presentation feels a lot more polished. There are some minor frame-rate drops in areas with a lot of enemies, but that might be due to the fact that I'm playing on the PS4 Pro, and I need to enable Boost Mode to see if it affects the performance. I think DW8XL's interface is sort of bland, but SW4E looks really good overall.

Gameplay-wise, I like the dashing attacks you get. On Normal difficulty, it does seem a little harder than DW8. You only get one Musou gauge, though it seems to fill up pretty fast, so I guess that's the trade-off. I have some minor issues with commands in the Politics mode (the screen with the Castle cut-out/diorama). The thing I can't figure out (maybe I glossed over it in the tutorials) is what the arrows correspond to with you magistrates.

Gotta say, though, based on the videos I saw of DW8 Empires, it seems a bit paired down in terms of customization. With that one, it looked like you could choose the look of your home, conference room, etc. In SW4E, all you can really customize are your banners and the wallpaper in your castle. It also looked like you could choose the background/origin of your created characters.

The character creation was actually the one thing I was really looking forward to, but it seems pretty disappointing. There's not a huge variety with the armor/clothing options, and it doesn't seem like you have a lot of options when customizing the look of your characters. Maybe there are some items you unlock by playing through the game more, but I imagine a lot of it is DLC you have to purchase. I made a handful of poorly dressed abominations interesting characters to try and put together something silly for the Genesis mode, but I ran out of ideas.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't think anyone was really clamoring for an open world single player only dynasty warriors. Being able to climb buildings and stuff looks cool

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So I've started a very ill-advised quest to play and review the vast majority of the Dynasty Warriors games.

Here is my first video giving a bit of history and my mission statement.

I hope y'all enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHZrGiY44A

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Good luck to you. I wish you well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I at least have the good judgement to take my time instead of trying to power through and burning out immediately.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In Basara 4 Sumeragi, is there a way to cancel out of a roulette transformation early? It sort of kills the flow of battle when your 6 sword wielding he-man gets turned into a bomb throwing mook

Also, is Ashikaga Yoshiteru basically Orochi? In this game, I mean.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 25, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Unlucky7 posted:

In Basara 4 Sumeragi, is there a way to cancel out of a roulette transformation early? It sort of kills the flow of battle when your 6 sword wielding he-man gets turned into a bomb throwing mook

Use circle to blow your super and drop out of transformations early, which I almost always do as bomberman.

After a bit of deliberation, I may pick up sanada hen just because yukimura's father is a fedora wearing goon with teleportation abilities.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Basara Yukimura has no chill whatsoever

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 25, 2017

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

Similar, yeah. From what I remember, as a shogun he's bored and lonely at the top so he decides to fight the Sengoku-era warriors for fun. They made him absurdly powerful in Basara because he was the first person on the roster who had been a shogun and he's a lot of fun to play in Sumeragi. :)

As for cancelling transformations, I'm sure you can do it but I can't remember how. I know you can also turn the roulettes off on stages before you start them so if you're not enjoying it, you can always do that.

Ryoga posted:

After a bit of deliberation, I may pick up sanada hen just because yukimura's father is a fedora wearing goon with teleportation abilities.

Ooh, I've been meaning to try Retsuden up for ages. Report back if you do grab it - I'd love to know how whether it's worth playing!

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
So because of you guys I imported Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and... did I just play a minecart shooting level in a musou game as a Saint Seiya homage character who gets his powers from a sentient deer?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Its interesting comparing Basara to their Samurai Warriors equivalent and vice versa.

Basara Hideyoshi Toyotomi - Giant shitkicking evil lord
SW Hideyoshi Toyotomi - Freddy Mercury

SW Ieyasu Tokugawa - Kind man forced to do unthinkable acts in the name of the greater good.
Basara Ieyasu Tokugawa - What if Goku, but a boxer? Also, he rides a giant robot that is also Honda Tadakatsu

Basara Date Masamune - COME WITH ME! PUT YA GUNS ON!
SW Date Masamune - Basically the same as Basara DM but with all the charisma surgically removed.

SW Yukimura Sanada - Kind, dutiful soldier
Basara Yukimura Sanada - Imagine if a primal scream gained human form

SW Christianity - Black magic
Basara Christianity - Weirdo cult

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
To say nothing of Motochika Chosokabe or Kanbei Kuroda.

Yoshihiro Shimazu, on the other hand, is basically always just a wild old man, only with either a hammer or a slab of metal masquerading as a sword

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You're gonna do all of those and not mention Nobunaga Oda?

SW - is Cao Cao.

SB - is LITERALLY A SATAN.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

'Is Sith Lord Cao Cao' is probably more accurate, especially in SW1.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The most magical thing about the english dubs is through luck of the draw (or small talent pool) we got the same VA to play yukimura in both series and the world is a better place for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
SW Oichi-Loyal but bad luck chakram girl
SB Oichi-DEMON CLAW SHADOW POSSESSION

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
SB Nobunaga - Norio Wakamoto !!!
SW Nobunaga - not Norio Wakamoto :smith:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tae posted:

SW Oichi-Loyal but bad luck chakram girl
SB Oichi-DEMON CLAW SHADOW POSSESSION

I like SB's Oichi :) Actually, I REALLY like SB's representation of all the characters. They're so over the top.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Magoichi Saika

SW: has a gun

SW: has ALL of the guns.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

You're gonna do all of those and not mention Nobunaga Oda?

SW - is Cao Cao.

SB - is LITERALLY A SATAN.

When I first started playing Dynasty Warriors 8, I kept thinking that Cao Cao looked like Oda Nobunaga

They have the same style of facial hair, and look sort of similar on top of that. What sets Nobunaga apart is the plume of hair sticking out from the back.

I wonder if the similarity was intentional.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Max Wilco posted:

When I first started playing Dynasty Warriors 8, I kept thinking that Cao Cao looked like Oda Nobunaga

They have the same style of facial hair, and look sort of similar on top of that. What sets Nobunaga apart is the plume of hair sticking out from the back.

I wonder if the similarity was intentional.

Warriors Orochi at least jokes about it, so maybe.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DW9 gets Cao Xiu.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Warriors Orochi at least jokes about it, so maybe.

I have to say it is interesting going through the Koei wiki and seeing how the character designs have evolved over the years in the Musou games and in the simulation games. It's also interesting seeing how the RotTK games started incorporating the characters designs from Dynasty Warriors.

Policenaut posted:

DW9 gets Cao Xiu.

That's...an interesting choice?

I sort of wonder why characters like Ma Su, Ding Yuan, Gonsung Zan, or Wang Yun don't get a full-blown character designs. They play more prominently into some of the major events and pivotal points, but they're still just represented by generic officers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they revealed what weapon they're giving Wang Yi?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jack Trades posted:

Have they revealed what weapon they're giving Wang Yi?

Oh....you poor soul

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Policenaut posted:

DW9 gets Cao Xiu.

Who is that on the right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Oh....you poor soul

NOOOOOOOOOO.

They ruined both of my waifus, Wang Yi and Zhang He. :(

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
does zhen ji still have flute

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

I have to say it is interesting going through the Koei wiki and seeing how the character designs have evolved over the years in the Musou games and in the simulation games. It's also interesting seeing how the RotTK games started incorporating the characters designs from Dynasty Warriors.

That's...an interesting choice?

I sort of wonder why characters like Ma Su, Ding Yuan, Gonsung Zan, or Wang Yun don't get a full-blown character designs. They play more prominently into some of the major events and pivotal points, but they're still just represented by generic officers.

It still weirds me out that Cao Cao sons that died at Wan castle are still represented by generic officers, considering how pyrrhic that victory was for him.

Then again, weren't several major story characters in SW4 created with the character creator? Maybe they could do something like that for important characters that do not get their own unique design going forward.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

NOOOOOOOOOO.

They ruined both of my waifus, Wang Yi and Zhang He. :(

the only waifu anyone should have is dian wei honestly

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

It still weirds me out that Cao Cao sons that died at Wan castle are still represented by generic officers, considering how pyrrhic that victory was for him.

Then again, weren't several major story characters in SW4 created with the character creator? Maybe they could do something like that for important characters that do not get their own unique design going forward.

that one hojo kid was. i kept thinking i would get to play him, but then he just dies. a bunch of female characters have unique looks too, but afaik they only show up in the create a char mode

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

MotU posted:

does zhen ji still have flute

Whip.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

wow heck :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MotU posted:

the only waifu anyone should have is dian wei honestly

Sorry, I'm not into cue balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are making me want to reinstall Sumeragi now!

Needs More Jazz posted:

So because of you guys I imported Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and... did I just play a minecart shooting level in a musou game as a Saint Seiya homage character who gets his powers from a sentient deer?

:allears: He's a boy detective so stupid that he hasn't even figured out that the deer is female. Also, I love that stage - rail shooter Kanbei pinball is a lot of fun!

Unlucky7 posted:

Its interesting comparing Basara to their Samurai Warriors equivalent and vice versa.

SW Kenshin: Stoic manly man
SB Kenshin: Takarazuka Revue

I love the Basara designs for taking historical elements and either subverting them like crazy or dialing them up to 11!