Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Warriors never dropped the Create-a-Warrior gimmick, but then again Samurai Warriors games typically have huge gaps in between releases and there's only 4 of them compared to Dynasty Warriors' 9 and the wait between SW3 and SW4 was 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

A compilation of a whole lot of character action trailers for DW9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPkUKku2Q4

A bunch of those weapons are actually really dope.
Dual swords being combined in different ways to create big sword/two swords/sword polearm.
Nunchaks being used as guns?

Also I think all the character have very unique movesets even if they share a weapon? It's hard to tell but there are no moves that stood out as being re-used between characters.
I might be blind though.

I got to say this has sold me on DW9. Even if the open world stuff ends up being a pain in the rear end (And truth be told I still kinda think that. The best I am hoping for is SW-esque battlefield objectives on a very large scale for the main battles), the combat itself looks the best it has been for a DW mainline title.

Looks like they are splitting the difference for the bow users in having them use their bow for EX and Musou attacks while giving them a melee weapon.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm champing at the bit here, guys.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I finally finished the episode of my DW retrospective on the first game. Check it out if you're so inclined. It's a neat game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmHMhspTkc

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Interesting and surprising. Thought you'd forgotten about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mikeycp posted:

I finally finished the episode of my DW retrospective on the first game. Check it out if you're so inclined. It's a neat game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmHMhspTkc

I had no clue it started as a fighter.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Goddamnit, that last trailer sold me on DW9, that looks fantastic.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodly posted:

Interesting and surprising. Thought you'd forgotten about it.

Nope, my end of year just got busy so I didn't have a lot of time to work on it. Plus grinding through to get everything was mind numbing so I had trouble doing it in long sessions.

Hopefully DW2 won't take as long to assess and record and poo poo.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah! It's weird! I kinda want a Sangoku Musou 2 to see what 2018 Omega Force would do with it. Also to see what they would name it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mikeycp posted:

Yeah! It's weird! I kinda want a Sangoku Musou 2 to see what 2018 Omega Force would do with it. Also to see what they would name it.

It's so weird that a series that's famous for letting you kill/KO hundreds of people started as a Tekken knock off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I remember playing DW2 on PS2 and thinking it was the poo poo, and then looking up DW1 and being like "what the heck"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Skwirl posted:

I first found out about DW1 being a fighting game when the Super Best Friends covered in an episode of Scrublords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KGi21prNk

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait until you meet Dong Tuna.

Bumble bee tuna.

Also Guan Yu and Zhang Fei are portrayed very well in the tv show. Guan Yu is arrogant of his abilities, and Zhang Fei mistreats his troops.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That was a good video. I had no idea it looked like Tekken 3.

DW3 was my gateway into this genre.
So good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I had no idea it looked like Tekken 3 until I heard that from multiple people today. (I've never seen Tekken 3.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have you guys never wondered why Japanese and Western releases have different numbering?
That's how I find out about the fighting game thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found out about it playing the demo from the front of the Official PlayStation Magazine. :corsair:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I found out about it from my ex buying it ex-rental after we played a bunch of DW5E together or something.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skwirl posted:

It's so weird that a series that's famous for letting you kill/KO hundreds of people started as a Tekken knock off.

Since it has weapon-based combat, would it be closer to Soul Edge?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/C1SrQAauOeI?t=52

This dub is all I wanted it to be. :allears:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Jack Trades posted:

And to think, I see people complaining about it.

Like, motherfuckers, you don't know the MaaAAaaAAAgIiiic you got.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Jack Trades posted:

Oh... That's some excellent fighting! :geno:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seriously though, is the Chinese VA going to be in the US release?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Drakenel posted:

And to think, I see people complaining about it.

Like, motherfuckers, you don't know the MaaAAaaAAAgIiiic you got.

Considering the dub quality of the last few releases, I think complaining is fair. "Not as bad as it could be" isn't the same as "Good".

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Maleketh posted:

Considering the dub quality of the last few releases, I think complaining is fair. "Not as bad as it could be" isn't the same as "Good".

Yeah, as amusing as the old DW3-era dubs are, it's not something I'm really crazy about seeing return. I thought the dubbing in DW8 (don't know when the voice cast got started) was pretty good, and gave each character a distinct voice.

Honestly, I thought maybe they weren't going to even do a dub. It seems like a few of the Musou games that have come out just stuck with translating the text and leaving the original JP audio.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

they can get away without dubbing the side games or something like all stars, but they know they'd get a lot of poo poo for not even bothering to dub a mainline game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maleketh posted:

Errr, a bad dumbass dub is literally perfect for a dumbass game that is Warriors.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Who the hell wants a Musou game with good voice acting?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Uh, I do? I like my games to actually be good, surprise.

Does the new VA work mean no more Yuri Lowenthal as Zhang He and Sun Ce?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

PureRok posted:

Uh, I do?

Fake fan spotted.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I quite like the voice cast we've had up to now. Like, Dong Zhuo, Cao Cao, and Lu Bu are classics.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Matt Mercer's Jia Chong makes me :swoon:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I miss DW5/WO1 Cao Pi's voice.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fake fan spotted.

I played the original PS2 games all in JP because I hated the bad voice acting so much. So I have no nostalgia for it, like some of you weirdos.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fake fan spotted.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

PureRok posted:

I played the original PS2 games all in JP because I hated the bad voice acting so much. So I have no nostalgia for it, like some of you weirdos.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fake fan spotted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

Does the new VA work mean no more Yuri Lowenthal as Zhang He and Sun Ce?

Presumably, yes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PureRok posted:

weeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll play 9 in Japanese same as always so I don't care