Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keeshhound posted:

I'm genuinely shocked they're releasing it at $20 instead of trying to squeeze out another $60.

This right here because goddam do the Warriors games rarely go on sale. $20 is not bad for the best story driven DW game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Orv posted:

Speaking of movesets, finally sinking some time into SW4-2 and uh, Hattori Hanzo seems ultra busted? Like I said earlier I'm relatively new to this stuff but I vaguely recall someone saying that that might be A Thing with Warriors games. Does anyone else end up having as cool or flash a moveset in SW4-2 at least?

Kotaro Fuma's R1 attack (where he grabs the enemy's head and wrecks them) also gives a defense debuff, and when I found that up suddenly he became one of my favorite characters.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

wokow6 posted:

Hey, what would be the best way to get into this series? Like, what game should I start with?
I would say 7 as well. By far the best presentation, apparently cheap, and while there are some quality of life improvements in 8 (primarily the automatically mount horse-button) they are minor. Plus it has the proper Zhang Liao-voice.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

Speaking of movesets, finally sinking some time into SW4-2 and uh, Hattori Hanzo seems ultra busted? Like I said earlier I'm relatively new to this stuff but I vaguely recall someone saying that that might be A Thing with Warriors games. Does anyone else end up having as cool or flash a moveset in SW4-2 at least?

i dont have any specifics off the top of my head but anyone that has a lingering effect like a buff or an arrow volley is pretty busted because you can overlap the effects with your attacks and basically never get interrupted.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So I went ahead and bought DW7XLDE because of the surprisingly low price and because I could always do with some more Musou. So far so good, although I'm already missing a few of the finer points that DW8 introduced.

For some reason I also just remembered one of the best lines in DW3.
"One Shoe! You have deceived me!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Even more hilarious because that's about the one DW where he legitimately ISN'T at fault in some way. Poor sod gets jumped by Lu Bu at the start of the map and basically cannot survive.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Been playing through DW8XL recently, it's a ton of fun! Tried 9 and uh, I kind of enjoyed it? It's hella flawed but I think I'll get some mileage out of it, considering it goes its $16 in my region :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

So I went ahead and bought DW7XLDE because of the surprisingly low price and because I could always do with some more Musou. So far so good, although I'm already missing a few of the finer points that DW8 introduced.

For some reason I also just remembered one of the best lines in DW3.
"One Shoe! You have deceived me!"

"Cow Cow!"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
One of the cool things about 7XL is that you get to do Fan Castle from DW3 and every character has their own line about having to kill Guan Yu (except Lu Meng who already has a line at that point in the stage).

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jibo posted:

One of the cool things about 7XL is that you get to do Fan Castle from DW3 and every character has their own line about having to kill Guan Yu (except Lu Meng who already has a line at that point in the stage).

Wait, seriously? That's cool they brought that back.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait, seriously? That's cool they brought that back.

It goes away again in DW8 AFAIK. Can't say I've used every character on every map but I don't recall any scenes where my usuals (Xiahou Dun or Lu Bu) were given speaking lines in a Wu vs Shu battle or anything like that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

It goes away again in DW8 AFAIK. Can't say I've used every character on every map but I don't recall any scenes where my usuals (Xiahou Dun or Lu Bu) were given speaking lines in a Wu vs Shu battle or anything like that.

Yeah, I got the DW8/XL complete package on Steam a while ago. Had plenty of fun with it. A little soured when I realized 8 Empires had no english dub, though. I'm one of those people that just can't enjoy the game without a dub.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, I got the DW8/XL complete package on Steam a while ago. Had plenty of fun with it. A little soured when I realized 8 Empires had no english dub, though. I'm one of those people that just can't enjoy the game without a dub.

If it helps, nobody in Empires ever really says anything worth hearing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Already turned Lu Bu into an invincible destructive force in DW7 (oh Armageddon Strike you're just so loving broken!), which means getting all the weapons for everyone is going to be really' easy now, since you don't actually need to use any specific characters for acquiring any of that stuff.

No idea why that's the case when it's been different every other time I can think of, but okay.

More DW3 fluff that I needlessly remembered while mashing buttons:
I've got you now Tie-She Sea!!

God how I miss the brilliantly poo poo VA work of that game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
old koei english dubs were great. they need to go back to that style

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as they have the option to listen to a non-lovely dub as well

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The White Dragon posted:

old koei english dubs were great. they need to go back to that style

Even if they did, it wouldn't be the same. Too much 'looking at the camera' sort of thing. DW3 was hodge podge, shown by the fact they didn't dub the battle yells. 4 onwards was when they put effort in.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
As a word of warning to the thread, PS4 owner with PS Plus have a 50% discount on Warriors All-Stars and I am here to tell you that it is not worth it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Man, I wonder how much of a resource drain it represents on the dev team to transfer over the ever-increasing number of playable characters they've accrued over the years. Kinda related to this: are there any other notable characters from ROT3K that are missing from the franchise? I know very little about the novel but the upcoming Total War 3 Kingdoms is giving prominent roles to characters who are generic officers in DW8, like Gongsun Zan.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 15, 2018

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
You could argue for a lot of individuals from the period to be playable characters, although the sum total of their significance is dubious at best. Gongsun Zan was Zhao Yun's lord before the latter left to work with Liu Bei, and Zan was a rival to Yuan Shao for some time following his participation in the coalition to destroy Dong Zhuo.

Some people have been arguing for the inclusion of Dong Zhuo's two major subordinates and successors, Li Jue and Guo Si, because of their role in controlling the emperor following Zhuo's death.

Ma Teng and Han Sui, the leaders of the Xiliang faction who tried to oust Cao Cao, could also be candidates, although they fell apart fairly quickly.

Liao Hua, according to some stories, was a child soldier during the Yellow Turban rebellion and was a Shu general when the kingdom eventually fell to Wei, so you could argue that he was noteworthy.

The thing about a lot of characters in the overall story is that they did some deeds of note but then didn't really get heard from again (see Hua Xiong, who killed a few coalition officers before getting murked by Guan Yu - or Sun Jian, if we're going by actual history), so the merit of including them as full playable officers is debatable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Huh, neat. Had no idea about any of that :v:

Unrelated to all that, I've now spent around 10 hours with DW9 and man, the game is rough in a lot of spots (auto-ride pathfinding is terrible, bow controls on a pad are unwieldy as hell, I have to launch the game around 3 or so times for it to actually launch, etc) but I love the new character design and the combat system has really grown on me. Plus the AI on Normal is way more aggressive than in 8. Some of the voice acting is really on point, a few of the voice actors evidently didn't get enough context for the lines though their performance is decent and a few others (Zhou Yu, I'm looking at you) are just downright bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Samurai Warriors 4-2 is on sale. How much content is there? Orochi 4 isn't on sale, sadly, but AFAIK that one doesn't have much of an endgame so far.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I'm about to get Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition from GameFly. Anything I should know before I start playing?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Simon The Digger posted:

I'm about to get Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition from GameFly. Anything I should know before I start playing?

Game's good. That's about all you need to know.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hyrule warriors will never be good unless they make one where you can play as the wizard from the cd-i games

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I remember really like Hyrule Warriors, but then getting my poo poo wrecked by the adventure mode.

I'm a filthy casual easy-mode gamer, and I don't think the adventure mode had difficulty settings. Did they ever, you know, add them? Or is there a stupid OP character I could try and use?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

hyrule warriors will never be good unless they make one where you can play as the wizard from the cd-i games

Every time someone makes a 'joke' about the cd-I games a fountain fairy dies

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

lowercase16 posted:

I remember really like Hyrule Warriors, but then getting my poo poo wrecked by the adventure mode.

I'm a filthy casual easy-mode gamer, and I don't think the adventure mode had difficulty settings. Did they ever, you know, add them? Or is there a stupid OP character I could try and use?
If you last played on Wii U, Legends did rebalance a lot of Adventure Mode to require less grinding.

You can also "cheese" stages that require a character/weapon you don't like playing using two-player mode, picking a character you like or is overleveled as the second player, then parking Player 1 somewhere out of the way and doing the stage as Player 2. Especially easy since the Switch comes standard with two "controllers".

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Commander Keene posted:

If you last played on Wii U, Legends did rebalance a lot of Adventure Mode to require less grinding.

You can also "cheese" stages that require a character/weapon you don't like playing using two-player mode, picking a character you like or is overleveled as the second player, then parking Player 1 somewhere out of the way and doing the stage as Player 2. Especially easy since the Switch comes standard with two "controllers".

How dare you give such advice, everyone needs to suffer through Fi only stages like I did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Every time someone makes a 'joke' about the cd-I games a fountain fairy dies

who said i was joking

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azran posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-2 is on sale. How much content is there? Orochi 4 isn't on sale, sadly, but AFAIK that one doesn't have much of an endgame so far.

I'm looking and WO4 has a 20% discount right now though..? :shrug:

SW4-II is pretty good at a 50% discount, and if you're a completionist and want to level everyone up/get all the achievements etc. (does anyone even max all the characters anymore? I know it's easier than the days of DW3 but even so, the thought of levelling up certain characters (Liu loving Shan) just gives me a headache) then it'll give you more than enough things to do. Actual content is somewhat debatable since the main variation during story mode and battles is different map objectives rather than different maps, but I dunno. You get a fair whack of characters to try out and I easily got some 90 hours out of it while loving around with the more quirky characters (Hasahide being one) before inevitably wandering back to DW8XL for my quick musou fixes (in no small part due to those DLC maps where it's You vs The World).

tl;dr I got more than my money's worth out of it, and Keiji & Kunoichi are wonderfully broken.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you haven't played sw4 id say -2 is worth buying content wise, but otherwise its like 95% the same as 4

still got an inane amount of hours out of it, but you could say that for most musou

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Caved in and bought WO4. gently caress throwing all my money at Christmas this year, I'm buying myself something for once.

First impressions? Magic's broken, yo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Never played 4, actually. I do enjoy leveling all characters up in this kind of games so I'm still trying to decide between picking this up or Orochi 4 (regional pricing by the way, so Orochi is $14; 4-2 is like $7) since in that sense I'd have way more stuff to do. I kinda wish they had DW9 designs/characters, but oh well.

I'm looking and WO4 has a 20% discount right now though..? :shrug:

SW4-II is pretty good at a 50% discount, and if you're a completionist and want to level everyone up/get all the achievements etc. (does anyone even max all the characters anymore? I know it's easier than the days of DW3 but even so, the thought of levelling up certain characters (Liu loving Shan) just gives me a headache) then it'll give you more than enough things to do. Actual content is somewhat debatable since the main variation during story mode and battles is different map objectives rather than different maps, but I dunno. You get a fair whack of characters to try out and I easily got some 90 hours out of it while loving around with the more quirky characters (Hasahide being one) before inevitably wandering back to DW8XL for my quick musou fixes (in no small part due to those DLC maps where it's You vs The World).

tl;dr I got more than my money's worth out of it, and Keiji & Kunoichi are wonderfully broken.

The discount took a while to appear, my bad :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is wo4 worth playing if I haven’t played 3? Or is 3 still the best one?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is wo4 worth playing if I haven’t played 3? Or is 3 still the best one?

4 is fun on its own, but 3 is still the better game.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azran posted:

Never played 4, actually. I do enjoy leveling all characters up in this kind of games so I'm still trying to decide between picking this up or Orochi 4 (regional pricing by the way, so Orochi is $14; 4-2 is like $7) since in that sense I'd have way more stuff to do. I kinda wish they had DW9 designs/characters, but oh well

Get DW9's test/demo/whatever the gently caress they're calling it first (just register it to the library) and behold!

The waifus from DW8 will have their DW9 outfits. Sort of. Nothing for Lu Lingqi or Xingcai though, objectively the two best waifus in DW8.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What should I be doing with gems in DW8XL? I'm about to hit the cap and I'm nowhere near done maxing out bonds.

Get DW9's test/demo/whatever the gently caress they're calling it first (just register it to the library) and behold!

The waifus from DW8 will have their DW9 outfits. Sort of. Nothing for Lu Lingqi or Xingcai though, objectively the two best waifus in DW8.

I had no idea! Thanks!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azran posted:

What should I be doing with gems in DW8XL? I'm about to hit the cap and I'm nowhere near done maxing out bonds.
Weapon Fusion at the Blacksmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Weapon Fusion at the Blacksmith.

It's been a while since I last played, but I believe big star weapons also require crystals to purchase.