Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I seriously do miss old school Warriors final weapons. It was so cool doing all these secret missions to get a dope super weapon that looked really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ardryn posted:

God, I always dreaded having to fight Wu in early DW games, happening across a dozen, or two, archers just chilling in the middle of the field was never a good experience, I think I took to jump attacking those groups because that usually hit more of them and kept me mobile against the inevitable counterfire. Heck, that also brings up memories of, I think, Lu Bu's 5th weapon where you have to protect Diao Chan on a Chi Bi style map and I'm pretty sure it was against Wu or Wu-adjacent forces, gently caress that map and gently caress getting that weapon.

--PTSD INTENSIFIES--

Yep, getting Lu Bu's 5th in 3XL is exactly that. I've never done it solo because:
1) DW is just loving awesome in co-op!
2) Primary officers/commanders are loving worthless when the AI controls them...

With a second player controlling (a buffed-up) Diao Chan it's not quite so bad. Hell, a second player merely protecting her with a buffed character makes it far easier to handle the sudden Wu invasion. But it's still dogshit, seeing as Lu Bu* has to kill all of them, so in practice having P2 control Diao Chan so she can run away to a safe spot while Lu Bu squashes the fuckers flat is still by far a preferable option.

*Technically P2 can fulfill the requirements for the reward (this applies to any map!), but seeing as Lu Bu starts where he belongs -- in the middle of a big fight -- it's more than likely that P1 will be killing the officers before Lu Meng et al turns up to ruin Diao Chan's tea party anyway. Just sticking with the Lu Bu/Diao Chan duo reduces difficulty by untold amounts :buddy:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fauxtool posted:

wait wasnt it 4th weapon not 5th? Which DW was the last to do it similar to the early games with special missions within the stages. Also where the last weapon was the best by a long shot and not just a rare variant that could still be rolled badly

It was his 5th weapon that turned all his fire attacks into Lightning element. It was nuts.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

--PTSD INTENSIFIES--

Yep, getting Lu Bu's 5th in 3XL is exactly that. I've never done it solo because:
1) DW is just loving awesome in co-op!
2) Primary officers/commanders are loving worthless when the AI controls them...

With a second player controlling (a buffed-up) Diao Chan it's not quite so bad. Hell, a second player merely protecting her with a buffed character makes it far easier to handle the sudden Wu invasion. But it's still dogshit, seeing as Lu Bu* has to kill all of them, so in practice having P2 control Diao Chan so she can run away to a safe spot while Lu Bu squashes the fuckers flat is still by far a preferable option.

*Technically P2 can fulfill the requirements for the reward (this applies to any map!), but seeing as Lu Bu starts where he belongs -- in the middle of a big fight -- it's more than likely that P1 will be killing the officers before Lu Meng et al turns up to ruin Diao Chan's tea party anyway. Just sticking with the Lu Bu/Diao Chan duo reduces difficulty by untold amounts :buddy:

This was unfortunately long before I knew about 2P cheese, so child me did it "legit", that was an afternoon spent in much frustration.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After playing P5 Strikers a bit more I can confirm Yusuke, Futaba and Ryuji own, and Ann, Haru and Makoto are boring as hell, at least so far. And as I said in the Switch thread, there's a chair in the apartment that Morgana will say "Remember training with this? You can use it again if you feel rusty" if you examine it. I choose to believe that Joker didn't know how to sit down for his entire life and had to practice at it, since I have zero context for that statement.

The combat is pretty complicated for a musou type title. You have your standard weak/strong attacks and combos, but you can also actively use Persona skills like Cleave and Agi by holding the R button which makes the combat slow down/stop (not entirely sure which one yet) kind of like when you choose a rod or rune in Age of Calamity. Joker also has a gun you use by pressing L + R, and there's a "Down Gauge" which fills by hitting enemies with their weakness, and when they get knocked down you can use an All-Out Attack which hits enemies in a fairly large area. You can also go into hiding by pressing A near certain terrain features and then jump out and hit enemies with a special attack. On top of that there's Master Arts which you gain by using certain characters in combat, like now Joker can shoot his gun in midair, I only just got the first one and I'm not too sure on how powerful these get. Also since it says "as you use characters in combat" I'm not sure if that means you can swap between characters (if you can, it hasn't happened yet) or if it's just "You can have two or three other party members and it'll unlock after they fight with you for a while."

The ability to use multiple Personas for Joker is in the game too, after a fight there's a cutscene where a Pixie turns into a mask and you grab it to get a second Persona for him, the game says that turning Shadows into masks happens every so often, so I'm not sure if they're random drops or if they're scripted to happen after certain battles. You can also swap Personas mid battle by holding R (like you're going to use a skill) and then pressing right or left on the d pad. If you have Joker's starting Persona equipped when you fight the first boss, the other characters will say "Hey try using that new Persona you just got!" since Pixie has Zio, which the boss is weak to.

Other minor things I found interesting. Apparently all the Phantom Thieves can understand Morgana, but the old dude running the cafe can't. I assume this means he doesn't have a Persona, but they do mention they're Phantom Thieves around him, so I guess he knows about the Metaverse and Personas despite not having any himself? I dunno. Also, this girl named Lavenza is the only one in the Velvet Room, Igor is nowhere to be seen. I guess the Persona series has established that Igor is usually not around in spinoffs, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twelve by Pies posted:

And as I said in the Switch thread, there's a chair in the apartment that Morgana will say "Remember training with this? You can use it again if you feel rusty" if you examine it. I choose to believe that Joker didn't know how to sit down for his entire life and had to practice at it, since I have zero context for that statement.
That's a pretty good interpretation, but IIRC in P5 you could use the chair to do pull-ups which would I think increase your Persona's stats or your max HP or something, but it was a tremendous waste of limited time so I never did it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Other minor things I found interesting. Apparently all the Phantom Thieves can understand Morgana, but the old dude running the cafe can't. I assume this means he doesn't have a Persona, but they do mention they're Phantom Thieves around him, so I guess he knows about the Metaverse and Personas despite not having any himself? I dunno.
Basically yes. Morgana is unintelligible to anyone who isn't a member of the party and one of the villains of P5 which is part of how they catch the guy because they've been to the Metaverse and have seen his true form.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also, this girl named Lavenza is the only one in the Velvet Room, Igor is nowhere to be seen. I guess the Persona series has established that Igor is usually not around in spinoffs, though.
Igor's JP voice actor died in between P4 and P5, so they seem to be phasing the character out of the series rather than recast him. P5 only had very little new dialogue for Igor, IIRC.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Igor's JP voice actor died in between P4 and P5, so they seem to be phasing the character out of the series rather than recast him. P5 only had very little new dialogue for Igor, IIRC.

Ah yeah, I actually remembered hearing something about that a while ago but I thought maybe I was misremembering. It is in line with Japan often retiring characters when their VA dies, at least, but I do know Igor wasn't in stuff like the Persona Q games or Dancing All Night so I just figured it was another case of "It's a spinoff, so Igor can't be assed to appear."

Got a little further and unlocked Bonds, Bonds seem to be the replacement for Social Links in this game. You gain Bond points by leveling up relationships with the other party members, and certain Bond skills don't unlock until higher levels. A couple of things I noted, one is that there's a skill called Pass Appeal which says the Showtime gauge (musou attack) will fill faster after performing a Baton Pass, Baton Pass sounds like a "Play as another character" thing to me. There's also a skill called Joker's Wild which says "Increases chance for masks to manifest" so it does seem like getting new Personas is a random drop after battle rather than a scripted thing (outside of the Pixie which was definitely scripted).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You all forget that while in DW3 you were getting sniped by enemy archers all the time, your personalized group of bodyguards were also juggling enemy generals like it aint no big deal.

E: It was either 3 or 4 where it was a map where you couldn't let enemies pass 2 gates, and I plopped my guards with bows on one of the gates and there were no survivors

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Dumb question: I know they've announced a handful of mobile musou games but afaik none of them have been released (or at least not in NA yet). Are there any mobile games - ideally on Android - any of yall have played that scratch the musou itch at all?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So I can confirm: you can control other characters other than Joker, but only between the other three characters in your party. Other characters have slightly different fighting styles. Ryuji allows you to hold the X button to charge his strong attacks, and Sophia has a "Perfect Catch" mechanic that involves hitting the attack button when her yo yo comes back to her which makes her next attacks stronger. Also like most games that involve enemies you can see on the battlefield, you can sneak up behind them and press X to ambush them (which usually gets you an All-Out Attack right at the start), but if the enemies see you then you get ambushed and can't act for the first few seconds of battle. Anyway pressing the directions on the d pad allow you to swap between party members.

Like Persona there seems like there's a lot of resource management for your SP, and you're not going to want to fight every enemy on the map or you'll run out real quick. On top of that there's a Security Level for the dungeons where if enemies see you, the Security Level increases and this has negative effects like causing treasure chests to get locked behind a security barrier (though apparently there's a bond skill to try and let you bypass this), and if the security level reaches 100% you're forced to exit the dungeon.

Since there is resource management and they talk about leaving the dungeon to restock/being forced out, this makes me think it also has the Persona quirk of "If you leave, time advances" and you have a limited amount of time to beat a particular boss or it's game over. I'm not completely sure on this because when you reach checkpoints the tutorial that pops up says there's no penalties for leaving the dungeon and it seems like if there's a time limit that they'd mention that. It could be that since this title might appeal to people who don't normally play Persona games, they dropped that aspect and time won't advance until you've done what you're supposed to do in the story. I don't know, because I'm going to play some Azur Lane Crosswave now.

Also the cat turned into a loving car when I used him in battle what the hell.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Twelve by Pies posted:

He turns into a car so you can get around the underground dungeon areas and is a creep about one of the girls sitting on his cushions.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Most of the stuff you're describing was in P5, and it's kind of astonishing to me how much they've made it into P5 but with Musou action for random battles.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, definitely. Persona fusion is back with a vengeance too. I think you get a guaranteed Jack-O-Lantern after the first boss, that would make sense since shortly after you get a fusion tutorial where you combine Pixie and Jack to make Bicorn. Since there's no Social Links to give extra power, instead this game uses "Persona Points" that you get from winning battles, or picking up masks from Personas already registered in your compendium. You use the points to select how much to level your Personas, though you can't level them past Joker's level. Also if you got the Deluxe Edition of the game you get a free 10k Persona Points which should keep you set for most of the early game.

So far I'm having fun with it but it feels like combat is a bit much having to keep track of four characters' HP and SP in an action type battle. Since you always want to be beating down enemies it feels like it's tough to tell when a character is hit with a status effect too since you're usually focused on taking down what's in front of you than looking over at their info. The fact you fight a lot of enemies at once also makes Futaba's advice in battle somewhat less useful than it is in the normal game because she'll say "It's weak to fire!" but if there's three or four enemy types on the field then you might not immediately know which ones she's talking about. It does help that the skill effect area for your Persona has a "WEAK" icon over it but still.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Twelve by Pies posted:

The line he uses in P5 is, "For some reason, 'cats turning into buses' is an extremely widespread cognition among the general public." It's a My Neighbor Totoro reference.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

By the way I can confirm leaving the dungeon does not cause time to advance, so there's no time limit like in other Persona games. Leaving also fully refills your HP/SP so it seems like you want to dungeon crawl until you hit a checkpoint, pop out and then pop back in. There is one down side, though, which is that you're prevented from leaving the area around the cafe, so you can't go to the stores in the city. That does mean you can't go to the airsoft shop, since people who played P5 will wonder that, but the store was temporarily closed anyway and you get your weapons/armor from Sophia's online store. Except she doesn't sell SP restoring items, at least not yet, so you can't just stock up as you please.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Leal posted:

You all forget that while in DW3 you were getting sniped by enemy archers all the time, your personalized group of bodyguards were also juggling enemy generals like it aint no big deal.

E: It was either 3 or 4 where it was a map where you couldn't let enemies pass 2 gates, and I plopped my guards with bows on one of the gates and there were no survivors

This was in DW4, and it was a Shu hidden level vs Dong Zhuo that you could get in the campaign if Dong Zhuo escaped from Hu Lao Gate. I remember it was one of the only levels in vanilla Dynasty Warriors 4 where an Edit Officer could be a full-on Officer on the player's side and not a subordinate to the Commander, because at the start of the level, you are the only friendly officer on the map. This let you actually hear the Edit Officers' rarely-used "[Name] has entered combat with [enemy officer]'s forces!" comments.

EDIT: Pike-wielding Bodyguards in 4 were absolutely insane. They loved the jump-charge slam attack, and between the 8 of them, would massacre crowds and juggle officers like mad.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
With SW5 coming, I'm thinking I'm going to re-download SW4E to my PS4. I always loved that game, but I couldn't ever figure out how to trigger all the relationship options and get the full 4 DEVAS thing going.

Anybody else a fan of this entry, and could maybe provide tips on how to unlock weapons and utilize characters to the best of their abilities between battles?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Doc Dee posted:

With SW5 coming, I'm thinking I'm going to re-download SW4E to my PS4. I always loved that game, but I couldn't ever figure out how to trigger all the relationship options and get the full 4 DEVAS thing going.

Anybody else a fan of this entry, and could maybe provide tips on how to unlock weapons and utilize characters to the best of their abilities between battles?

From what I remember, the relationship stuff was about raising the relationship points and taking them into battle, since you usually had a quest or two you'd have to do to cement them as one of your 4 great generals or whatever.

Other tip: It's pretty fun to create just an insane number of characters. I think there are options to find other people's created characters too. There's a lot of goofy costumes to work with.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my GOD why does P5S look like such trash? The amount of aliasing in this shot makes me want to barf. I'm seriously struggling to remember any other game that looked this bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Persona 5 lol

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my GOD why does P5S look like such trash? The amount of aliasing in this shot makes me want to barf. I'm seriously struggling to remember any other game that looked this bad.

Which version is that from? I've been thinking about picking it up since I love both series and it's gotten pretty favorable reviews. I've got credit on the Nintendo store, but am worried it'll run like garbage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Which version is that from? I've been thinking about picking it up since I love both series and it's gotten pretty favorable reviews. I've got credit on the Nintendo store, but am worried it'll run like garbage.

That the PC version on max graphical settings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I have it on Switch, I only play handheld but so far I haven't noticed anything too bad. The smaller screen on the Switch apparently does work in covering some of the graphical quality though, but as far as running it's been fine so far. I am only in the first dungeon so I don't know if there's other dungeons later with crazy effects that would affect the framerate.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Unlike some of the other KT stuff, Warriors game have had a questionable relationship with AA on PC. Only DW9 and Spirit of Sanada have any reasonable AA (or AA at all!) attached. Not surprised

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

From what I remember, the relationship stuff was about raising the relationship points and taking them into battle, since you usually had a quest or two you'd have to do to cement them as one of your 4 great generals or whatever.

Other tip: It's pretty fun to create just an insane number of characters. I think there are options to find other people's created characters too. There's a lot of goofy costumes to work with.

Oh, I LOVE going into Genesis mode, picking out like two or three neighboring fiefs, loading them up with a combination of my Create-a-Toons and my favorite figures from the Sengoku period, and UNIFYING JAPAN

Which brings me to coming home from work to find SW4E fully installed, deleted my old saves, and WHAT DO YOU KNOW, the next up on my Conquest Mode list is the Honnoji Incident. Naturally, I had to pick the Pastel Bishie to reach his Ambition. I first learned about Akechi Mitsuhide from the James Clavell novel Shogun, then after learning more over the decades I don't CARE how much they make Oda Nobunaga look like an anime protagonist in SW5. It's still the Easter Egg guy for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Game looks infinitely better on PS4 than this. Did the PC version use the Switch port as its base?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Game looks infinitely better on PS4 than this. Did the PC version use the Switch port as its base?

Likely the case- Koei has had a long-running habit of using the lowest-available SKU as the basis for their PC ports. That said, I found that the situation gets much, much better when turning up the render scale- at 2x everything looks much cleaner then Jack's screenshot in my experience (admittingly only in the first Jail so far.) I'm not sure what kind of performance hit the game takes when you do that but I've been swapping off an on between my desktop fully-maxed and my Win Max at 30 FPS/Low/1.5x render and it's been rock solid so far at the latter so I'd assume most relatively modern gaming-adjacent computers could pull it off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Likely the case- Koei has had a long-running habit of using the lowest-available SKU as the basis for their PC ports. That said, I found that the situation gets much, much better when turning up the render scale- at 2x everything looks much cleaner then Jack's screenshot in my experience (admittingly only in the first Jail so far.) I'm not sure what kind of performance hit the game takes when you do that but I've been swapping off an on between my desktop fully-maxed and my Win Max at 30 FPS/Low/1.5x render and it's been rock solid so far at the latter so I'd assume most relatively modern gaming-adjacent computers could pull it off.

Fyi, in that screenshot my settings do have 200% resolution turned on.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if that setting is broken.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Fyi, in that screenshot my settings do have 200% resolution turned on.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if that setting is broken.

Might also be a graphics card setting I've forgotten about. I mostly use game settings by default and only override it on the card itself when poo poo's broke but I changed a bunch of stuff to be just card-regulated in the past when I switched from nVidia's default software so maybe my card's picking up Koei's slack here. I believe your screenshot, cause that's what it looks like on the handheld ... just with AA off and lower scaling/resolution.

I'll take a look when I'm off work and see what's handling what. This might just be a case of Koei's own settings being borked- again- and needing to just setting your video card to override it's nonsense.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Will never forget how Toukiden on PC is based on the Vita version for some reason.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Will never forget how Toukiden on PC is based on the Vita version for some reason.

PC is quite literally an afterthought for T-K. :smith:

Though in this case, shouldn't we be pointing fingers at Atlus & Sega? Or is Sega just the publisher?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, for the PC version I would definitely set a profile in your video card settings for P5S- I have a setting on that uses the card's settings for AA if the program's own AA is below a certain quality and P5S definitely qualifies. Turn off P5S's AA and use your video card's settings instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

Touki 1 also ran like poo poo even with dual Titans, IIRC. PW3 was stuck at Vita settings, I think it was SW4 that had PS4 models but PS3 environment detail/textures?

Nioh 2 is a real good port but yeah they're very hit/miss.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
New Samurai Warriors 5 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs4Ng_gpPUg

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1364910120216391681

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1364911308747907076

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1364919425321762824

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 25, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wonder how they're gonna frame Mitsuhide's betrayal this time since they seem to be going all in on the best buds thing.

E: hope they make him mad over his dinnerware

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh wow, it comes out on PC too? Hope it won't suck then, it's been ages since I played a good Musou.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mitsuhide will be getting story attention he hasn't recieved since SW2 and I am here for it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1364994293828513793?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wamdoodle posted:

lol if u stand still for more than 0 seconds in a Warriors game

if they cant attack you standing still they definitely they definitely cant while you're moving

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My controller had the batteries die on me mid-fight in DW8XL (on the highest difficulty, oh no!), and it taught me one thing; while the basic fodder in DW8XL is far less aggressive than it was back in DW3-DW5 (back when basic units were actually dangerous to some extent), it can and will at least still make frequent attempts to attack you rather than just wait patiently for you to resume hacking them down in their droves. This got me thinking about how (in)effective they might be per-type so I started to experiment by finding some mooks then just waiting for them to do stuff, and it turns out that (on higher difficulties at least) standing around will still get you killed off by the rabble, just slowly compared to the PS2 days (where even running around wasn't guaranteed safety).

Unless, that is, you're surrounded by spearmen, in which case old age will probably claim you first.

yeah 8XL is fine, the modern games got rid of that though and imo you lose a lot with the mass enemies just being visual effects essentially.

i suppose the series has moved away from these being actual battlefields, but i miss that stuff a lot.
i'd buy even just a modern 8XL in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

this looks pretty cool, I hope Nobunga's true best buddy, Yasuke, shows up in this one.