Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Jack Trades posted:

How would you feel about a "musou" game where all the action takes place in enclosed series of rooms instead of an open map?

I mean that's sorta how Fate Extella-Link worked? They were all small arena/rooms that you coolly anime-dashed between.

It's not my favorite but i don't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Morter posted:

I mean that's sorta how Fate Extella-Link worked? They were all small arena/rooms that you coolly anime-dashed between.

It's not my favorite but i don't hate it.

Have you played Persona 5? Because Strikers plays like that exactly except when you activate an enemy to fight they pop out some Musou enemies to beat on instead of starting a turn based battle.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really liked p5s a lot but i also liked p5 a lot so it’s hard for me to guess how fun it will be for someone who isn’t familiar with the first game.

I think it’ll still be very fun to play, and the art style/music rule, but the plot probably won’t make a ton of sense since it expects you to already know who everyone is, and it’s more story-heavy than most musou games. I’d say it’s worth the risk, depending on how precious money is to you right now

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really liked p5s a lot but i also liked p5 a lot so it’s hard for me to guess how fun it will be for someone who isn’t familiar with the first game.

Never played P5. P5S loving rules and I wish more action rpgs borrowed these mechanics.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Zore posted:

Have you played Persona 5? Because Strikers plays like that exactly except when you activate an enemy to fight they pop out some Musou enemies to beat on instead of starting a turn based battle.

Sorry you missed it last page but I have no investment or experience in persona, at all. I just like beating up stuff in a flashy manner

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morter posted:

Sorry you missed it last page but I have no investment or experience in persona, at all. I just like beating up stuff in a flashy manner

It will definitely scratch that itch, I can promise you that much! Just be prepared for more cutscenes and dialogues than usual musou standards

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah unless you just mash through the dialog, after the opening tutorial battle you're looking at about half an hour to 45 minutes of talking before you get into another battle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also literally a sequel to P5 and expects you to know who everyone is and what happened

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a lot better than P5

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's a question. Which Musou game do y'all think has the best combat system?
By which I mean specifically, a combat system that rewards intentionally picking right options at right times over just mindless button-mashing.

Because I tried Fate/Extella, because it was mentioned earlier, and really disliked it because of how all the character combos did the same thing and the active skills were much stronger than any of the combos so all of the combat devolved into mashing X and using active skills on cooldown, which bored me to death.
I remember almost the same thing being true for a different Musou I played, it was either Warriors Orochi 4 or Warriors All-Stars, one of them had a magic system or something that was way stronger than any of the normal character combos and you basically ended up having little reason to use character combos (that were designed in a fairly interesting way per character) over it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Here's a question. Which Musou game do y'all think has the best combat system?
By which I mean specifically, a combat system that rewards intentionally picking right options at right times over just mindless button-mashing.

Because I tried Fate/Extella, because it was mentioned earlier, and really disliked it because of how all the character combos did the same thing and the active skills were much stronger than any of the combos so all of the combat devolved into mashing X and using active skills on cooldown, which bored me to death.
I remember almost the same thing being true for a different Musou I played, it was either Warriors Orochi 4 or Warriors All-Stars, one of them had a magic system or something that was way stronger than any of the normal character combos and you basically ended up having little reason to use character combos (that were designed in a fairly interesting way per character) over it.

My favorite is still probably Ken's Rage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pylons posted:

My favorite is still probably Ken's Rage.

The best part was equipping Ju onto Mamiya or Jagi and having them shoot people into blissfulness

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah there is a difference between SW and DW characters in WO3, it's just very minor. I haven't played the game in years but I think it has to do with how they handle Musou attacks. It's something like, when you use a Musou attack as a DW character, they have a specific attack they use, and it consumes the entire meter. But using it as an SW character allows you to attack normally if you want, and just has a specific finisher when the meter runs out, also it becomes stronger if their health is in the red. It's hard to google for specific details about it.

Specifically, DW characters (and characters who fall under this category for gameplay purposes) will use a section of their musou gauge and will still be able to perform Special attacks provided that they have a long enough bar in the first place to have that much left over. SW characters are as you describe, but they will actually be placed out of it with remaining meter intact if the stage has water on it and you make the character swim.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, that's Warriors Orochi 4 you're thinking of, and why I often just say WO3 is the better game despite not having the updated DW8/SW4 movesets for its characters.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Leal posted:

Koei sale on steam, bunch of games on sale.

..... You'll still be paying 30+ because a ton of their games are still 60 dollars at regular price.
Thanks for this, I ended up picking up Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence[/i], RTK11 w/ PUK (I'll hope someone made an English translation patch) and RTK13 w/ PUK ("Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack") from the sale!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got DW7XL and it's fun as all hell, especially with the bonus weapons like the fire extinguishers

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Been playing SW5 lately. I like it! Some odd story choices, but at least they're doing something new.

One question, though. Does the Attack modifier work on bows and stack with Projectile Attack?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey so I guess Warriors Orochi 3 is getting another update.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
gently caress it I'll play it a third time if it adds anything resembling a reasonable amount of content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Edging out RE4 for most remasters and ports

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Skyrim has entered the chat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GTA 5 would like a word too

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Three Hopes is looking good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCxRE7xCAg

It feels like this video alone demonstrates more varied movesets than the whole of the original (saying this as someone who loved Fire Emblem Warriors).

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I sure hope the movesets are varied: the class change mechanic means that *everyone* is a clone now so I'm hoping they make every class deep enough to make up for it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
My big complaint about Fire Emblem Warriors was that too much of the cast was generic sword wielders in a series that has lots of other options so I'm glad it seems like it's being addressed

Also I'm guessing class mechanics will be similar to other games that let anyone equip any weapons, in that some characters will have unique moves when their "preferred" weapon type is equipped.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I've been playing the Fire Emblem series for the first time recently, and FE Warriors is weird because a lot of its decisions make total sense. Like, Caeda, Cordelia, and Hinoka are the same, because they are supposed to resemble the Whitewings from FE1. If you have them all on the same map, Caeda's Musou attack becomes the Triangle Attack that Palla, Catria, and Est use. It's a subtle detail you may never see, but it's great fanservice. It just comes at the cost of some game mechanic options.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Takoluka posted:

I've been playing the Fire Emblem series for the first time recently, and FE Warriors is weird because a lot of its decisions make total sense. Like, Caeda, Cordelia, and Hinoka are the same, because they are supposed to resemble the Whitewings from FE1. If you have them all on the same map, Caeda's Musou attack becomes the Triangle Attack that Palla, Catria, and Est use. It's a subtle detail you may never see, but it's great fanservice. It just comes at the cost of some game mechanic options.

It's a good game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morter posted:

It's a good game.

It's my favorite one!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, my problem with Fire Emblem Warriors is that they bloated so much of the cast with Fates characters; half the drat cast are from Fates, which is a highly divisive entry in the series for multiple reasons.

(In case it wasn't clear, I'm in the crowd that is... less fond of Fates. The fact that its three routes are split into three separate games is one big reason, but... there's so much they tried to do with the game that just doesn't work for so many reasons.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 15, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It just felt like a huge step down after Hyrule Warriors to me. Cast sucked, movesets were boring and all the clones etc. Any mechanical improvements couldn't make up for those facts for me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
They definitely played favorites with the most recent games for the cast, instead of picking the highlights throughout the series.

Can you guys imagine Hector in a Warriors game? Hell, The Black Knight in a Warriors game?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed the game well enough, but the only FE game I’ve ever played is 3h, so not having any idea who any of the characters were (aside from Marth, who I only know from smash brothers) kinda killed my enthusiasm to finish it

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to three hopes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It was also bullshit that they made the weapon triangle important then made half the unique movesets swords. Including the OC characters who needed new bespoke sword movesets because...?

There is literally 1 Lance moveset outside of the DLC and it's floaty and divisive. Which uh blows when it's the only counter to half the characters in the game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Twink Musou is coming to Steam in the west: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1191260/Touken_Ranbu_Warriors/

There's a demo also

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I would have minded the clones 60% less if they hadn't had the gall to make a clone out of paid DLC.

Outside of that, eh, wasn't bad. Liked it enough to beat the story and a couple of challenge maps, got my moneys worth out of it. Still go back to it sometimes too.

Do wonder if wyverns are still going to be OP as poo poo in Three Hopes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the whole clone thing would have been less a problem if the weapons were better divided up, yeah. As it stands the lance thing alone *killed* it for me. It doesn't help that HW and AoC are probably my two favorite musou games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Twink Musou is coming to Steam in the west: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1191260/Touken_Ranbu_Warriors/

There's a demo also

I won't be able to check out the demo anytime soon, but has anyone had any experience with this? One of the good licensed musous or nah?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I played the demo on switch and the levels were extremely small. It's definitely more for the Touken fans than Musou people, even down to having its already simplified combat optionally simplified even further. Unless you like your sword boys or are a Ruby Party fan I probably wouldn't bother.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I played the JP demo a while back, and my conclusion was that it felt like Sengoku Basara without any of the style that series is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

I looked up gameplay from the full japanese release and it gets more interesting than that demo, the demo is JUST a tutorial with no actual mission to try the mechanics out in unfortunately.
At least it runs decent on the switch.