Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess Pirate Warriors 3 is headed to the Switch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sefal posted:

Can you turn off the cinematic combo that pops up sometimes after doing a combo?. It's really annoying.
I've only played the tutorial. Gameplay is fun, but that little bit ruins the gameflow for me.

If you're referring to Lianna/Rowan making a magic circle that pulls enemies in, that's only in the tutorial. They normally only do that to end an Awakening (the FE warriors version of a Kizuna rush).

As for my thoughts on the game, I really like it. Finished the story and the first set of missions for two of the History maps. Biggest gripe for me, aside from the aforementioned pain in the rear end with equipping gear for characters, is that Owain, Niles, Oboro, and Navarre are apparently all dlc despite all of them making appearances in the story. Which is especially annoying with Oboro since she's the only spear unit in the game who isn't a pegasus knight, all of whom play the exact same.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

You realize there's an optimize all menu option right? Not saying there aren't other UI issues, but that shouldn't be one of them.

Is there? That changes things, I must have overlooked it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Has anyone played the 3DS version? I don't have a Switch and I'm wary of handheld Musou games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Maleketh posted:

Has anyone played the 3DS version? I don't have a Switch and I'm wary of handheld Musou games.

Don't play 3DS versions of Musou games, the enemy density is abysmal and it makes it unfun to play.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't play 3DS versions of Musou games, the enemy density is abysmal and it makes it unfun to play.

Yes, that is why I am wary of them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hyrule Warriors Legends on a N3DS was great and ran well. On a regular 3DS? Absolutely not.

FE Warriors isn't available on the regular 3DS, so I imagine it works fine, like HWL did.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DW9 gets another new officer: Xin Xianying. Seems kind of left field?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Man, Xin Xianying is a weird choice. Advertising has been mentioning 90 officers so we knew we were getting one more. Jin was the smallest faction, so it was probably going to be them. Rumor's been that the last add was gonna be a woman, but I was really expecting it to be Yang Huiyu

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yes, another lady!

Looks like she uses a halberd or something. Hard to tell from such a small picture.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

PureRok posted:

Yes, another lady!

Looks like she uses a halberd or something. Hard to tell from such a small picture.

Looks like Xu Huang's greataxe to me.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
I remember someone in this thread mentioning a translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms with hilariously Americanised names for every character. Which translation is that?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I wish I knew, this was way back when the internet started to take off, and the first chapter was in some sort of text box. Nobody professional, if I recall correctly, and I've been trying to find it for a few years now.

It is my white whale.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

It's possible that there's more than one, but this

http://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

was the one previously linked in the thread. It is a hell of a thing

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Policenaut posted:

DW9 gets another new officer: Xin Xianying. Seems kind of left field?

If Miyuki Sawashiro is not voicing her there will be rioting in the streets.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Largepotato posted:

If Miyuki Sawashiro is not voicing her there will be rioting in the streets.

If she is, I will exclusively play as her, even in missions in which she's not featured.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Maybe you'll be lucky and she'll have unique dialogue in some maps she's not meant to be in.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The choices for new officers are weird. Cheng Pu and Xun You felt long overdue, but everyone else is like "okay, they're cool, but wasn't expecting them over ___"

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I will die and koei will announce lu kang on my grave

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

id rather had cao caos wife or sun luban the rebellious wu princess (or heck, dong zhous daughter), but as far as female adds go im glad we got an unremarkable jin instead of zhang feis poor wife or guan sous haremettes

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
To be honest I'm disappointed we didn't get vindictive sociopath Jia Nanfeng as one of the new ladies.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
if Nanfeng doesn't look like the Ring girl to match with her weird dracula dad then this entire series is a waste.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she has a design for the mobile game

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Surprised that ma yunlu still isn't in

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
I always wanted Liu Feng, a sort of tragic character, you could a few different ways with him, especially in hypotheticals.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Do not pursue Bullard-Lundmark!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The Romance of the Tristate Area

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kissekatt posted:

The Romance of the Tristate Area

47. the strategy to liberate applebee's

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The White Dragon posted:

47. the strategy to liberate applebee's

1. Oath in the Olive Garden

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Oh god, I tried reading a bit from the Peach Garden chapter, and the name-changes are hilarious

Three Heroes Swear Brotherhood In The Peach Garden; One Victory Shatters The Rebels In Battlegrounds. posted:

The Emperor read this memorial with deep sighs, and Chief Eunuch Harding-Saito, from his place behind the throne, anxiously noted these signs of grief. An opportunity offering, Harding-Saito informed his fellows, and a charge was trumped up against Thompson-Salgado, who was driven from the court and forced to retire to his country house. With this victory the eunuchs grew bolder. Ten of them, rivals in wickedness and associates in evil deeds, formed a powerful party known as the Ten Regular Attendants--Bingham-Spector, Cook-Benson, Pace-Mulligan, Weinstock-Dresser, Holcomb-Fletcher, Kerwin-Rosario, Petrone-Hawk, McCullum-Ogden, Harding-Saito, and Kessler-Wynn.

[...]

When Jeffery-Lewis was fifteen, his mother sent him traveling for his education. For a time he served Roth-Vincent and Follette-Lundstrom as masters. And he became great friends with Northrop-Kaminski.

Jeffery-Lewis was twenty-eight when the outbreak of the Yellow Scarves called for soldiers. The sight of the notice saddened him, and he sighed as he read it. Suddenly a rasping voice behind him cried, "Sir, why sigh if you do nothing to help your country?"

Turning quickly he saw standing there a man about his own height, with a bullet head like a leopard's, large eyes, a swallow pointed chin, and whiskers like a tiger's. He spoke in a loud bass voice and looked as irresistible as a dashing horse. At once Jeffery-Lewis saw he was no ordinary man and asked who he was.

"Floyd-Chardin is my name," replied the stranger. "I live near here where I have a farm; and I am a wine seller and a butcher as well; and I like to become acquainted with worthy humans. Your sighs as you read the notice drew me toward you."

[...]

Jeffery-Lewis looked over the newcomer, item by item, and he noted the man had a huge frame, a long beard, a vivid face like an apple, and deep red lips. He had eyes like a phoenix's and fine bushy eyebrows like silkworms. His whole appearance was dignified and awe-inspiring. Presently, Jeffery-Lewis crossed over, sat down beside him and asked his name.

"I am Yale-Perez," replied he. "I am a native of the east side of the river, but I have been a fugitive on the waters for some five years, because I slew a ruffian who, since he was powerful, was a bully. I have come to join the army here."

To establish his land of benevolence, Jeffery Lewis decided to seek out the the famed strategist Orchard Lafayette, known by his title of The Sleeping Dragon.

Not even joking: https://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/93594/100/Guanzhong_-_Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_%28vol._1%29.html
:roflolmao:

EDIT: Oh god, Cao Cao is renamed 'Murphy-Shackley,' and Dong Zhuo is renamed to 'Wilson-Donahue.'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's your first look at Xin Xianying!

Click here to see and learn more about Xin Xianying, Xu Huang, Taishi Ci, Liu Shan, Pang Tong, Chen Gong, and get your first look at DW9 house purchasing.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Trip report on Sengoku Basara: Yukimura Hen:

Please don't buy this game.

Don't get me wrong this game is actually fun and the new gameplay elements it adds are nice, but holy poo poo there so little of it. First off the story mode while nice in it's set pieces is shockingly short with only 10 stages with no way to select your character. Each stage my have you playing as multiple characters where you switch at certain checkpoints or sometimes like the two castle defense maps have you swaping out between two characters in different points of the map at will with the L2 button. There are no longer any levels to gain on a per character basis, parts of your movesets are automatically unlocked upon the completion of each chapter and weapons are now merely skins that you unlock without any abilities or stats. Instead you have a loadout system that gives you a set of stats and special effects that will activate at certain morale thresholds usually gained by defeating enemies or by destroying blue chests. You can boost the stats of each loadout by using the gold you earn in each level. These loadouts are split into different categories like offensive (higher attack stat, low defense, attack power bonuses at higher morale levels), technical (high speed stats, extra combo multipliers) and so on.

Once you complete story mode you unlock the 12 side stories which are short stages focusing on what other characters were doing during the main campaign. Once again you cannot deviate from the pre-selected character even after finishing the stage, leaving very little replay value. Along side this you also unlock a challenge arena mode which puts you in a square arena where you face off against different challenges among 1v1 battles, groups of grunt formations, and boss rushes. This mode starts you with a time limit that you have to see how many stages you can complete before it expires, completing stages and random challenges (perform x number of perfect guards or evades, get a certain hit combo, take no damage, etc) will restore time and give you bonus money to spend. This mode does actually let you choose a character with a fully unlocked movelist consisting of pretty much the entire playable cast of basara 3 and 4 minus Hojo for some reason because gently caress you.

Now I did like some stuff from this game. The story mode levels have lot of variety, some of them having minigames like Sasuke's sequences where you are taking out Tokugawa's air support with your ninja glider, or yukimura's outrun styled horseback sequence. One of the later levels gives you the ability to call the Sanada-maru for artillery support with the L2 button which gives you some breathing room between taking out objectives and keeping combos going. The new characters are pretty fun, in particular Yukimura's new moveset made me feel like I was playing something more like Gundam VS with all the airdash cancels I was doing. Boss battles also have undergone a huge overhaul to make them challenging but without being a damage sponge. Bosses may now have multiple life bars but they don't take very long to drain and when you deplete one the boss stands back up and enters a new 'Phase' usually with new abilites or patterns that you need to work around, it goes a long way to keeping every boss encounter from becoming poping your hyper mode than unloading your basara move.

Also the game really needed some in game counter keeping track of how many times Masayuki tips his fedora.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On that note, I guess Sengoku Basara's coming back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if they'll give it another go in the West...

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if they'll give it another go in the West...

One can only hope. I've a proper need to strap my guns on, and while Fire Emblem Warriors is plenty flashy...I need the true king of Flash in my Warriors style game back.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Yea I was asking in ADTRW what the hell this translation was about. The only answer I got was "some sort of wierd joke that took way more effort than youd expect"

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

New English language Basara is a day one purchase for me. I look forward to waiting until I forget, then being disappointed when I hear about it again and it's JP only.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Are people seriously getting their hopes up for an English language release? It's Capcom. "Comically inept" may as well be their slogan.

Edit: Or, "it's our customers' fault we keep stepping on our own dicks".

Chachi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 8, 2017

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
For what it’s worth, both Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and Sanada Yukimura-den are free on Japanese PS Plus this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh dang. That sounds good. Can you still get a free month of PS+ just by signing up because I'd be down to make another JPN account just to play Sumeragi.